Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkygirl (View Post)
Sorry bout that.. didn't realize it counted as spoiler.
Oh no I was just checking because I didn't want anyone to get in trouble.

But yeah along the lines of what ediedoyle said.

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedoyle (View Post)
Mr Sloane filmed last year in the fall. It didn't conflict with Downton. And they spent about 40 days shooting the whole first series, which is quick compared to DA. (There's only about 6 thirty-minute episodes.) It will premiere on Sky in a few weeks, so there is no news yet on whether it will be picked up for a second year, but if it does I'm thinking they will continue with a similar schedule as last time. Don't worry too much about it.
Sorry if this counts as a spoiler-y discussion but I didn't want to leave your question hanging.
This is very good news! I wasn't sure how/if that would affect his character so it's glad to hear that it doesn't seem to be a conflict.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
Question--does this count as spoiler/speculation? Because in that case we should continue this discussion elsewhere.
Spoiler in terms of DA? I don't read that much D.A. spoilers but I don't think I got spoiled with it? I do know that Mr. Sloane is Brendan's other show and we're allowed to talk about it here of course, still bearing in mind spoilers for future ep discussions for Mr. Sloane for those that watch it.

I think I may have to read up on spoilers over the weekend just so I can distinguish what is and isn't spoilers. I remember back in S3, we got spoilers for S4 as early as February so that bracket is just in time now that we are getting some spoilers for S5.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Getting back to the script books, I think it's sad how in a sense they both were under the impression that they weren't good enough for the other. Which, in a sense, reminds me slightly of Matthew and Mary and how the years of misunderstanding and stubbornness kept them apart.

In this case, Evelyn thought that he was doing right by Mary by stepping back, which he was, but at the same time it led her to think that it was because of Pamuk.

Can you tell I'm not over the garden scene? It's so weighty and there's more behind it than I've seen since a Mary/Matthew scene.

It's that quiet but overwhelming and unmistakeable longing--Brendan is really good at acting through his eyes ( Michelle too ), and so was Dan. And I think after Evelyn said that-basically that he didn't think any less of her--she couldn't even look at him because it hit too close to home.

There could even be a smidge of resentment that she's only finding this out now. After literally ten years. And possibly guilt because again Matthew "fills her brain".

Love this and I have something to say about it but no time to write it down just yet. Real life calls.

The garden scene is so good, though -- and a quick thought:
While watching a video about the Highclere grounds the other day, I noticed that it's actually a very long walk from the house to the Greek temple thing. Far longer than it appeared to me in the scene. So I wondered, after Mary said "we'd better go inside," did they walk back the entire way in silence? Because that'd be pretty intense. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Spoiler in terms of DA? I don't read that much D.A. spoilers but I don't think I got spoiled with it? I do know that Mr. Sloane is Brendan's other show and we're allowed to talk about it here of course, still bearing in mind spoilers for future ep discussions for Mr. Sloane for those that watch it.
Lindsay I think we were just trying to avoid spoilers for people who don't want to know yet if Brendan will be back. If his other project conflicted with Downton it would be obvious that he wouldn't have time to play Evelyn anymore (because he seems very committed to Mr. Sloane). But anyway, now that it's [semi] cleared up, we are at Square 1 again: he seems to have the right opening in his schedule but we still have no idea if/when he'll be called back for S5.
I think we will be waiting for news until, maybe, April -- because they film the second half of the series from May to July. He might only be needed for the later episodes. Who knows. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by ediedoyle; 02-24-2014 at 06:46 AM
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Love this and I have something to say about it but no time to write it down just yet. Real life calls.

The garden scene is so good, though -- and a quick thought:
While watching a video about the Highclere grounds the other day, I noticed that it's actually a very long walk from the house to the Greek temple thing. Far longer than it appeared to me in the scene. So I wondered, after Mary said "we'd better go inside," did they walk back the entire way in silence? Because that'd be pretty intense. What do you guys think?

Lindsay I think we were just trying to avoid spoilers for people who don't want to know yet if Brendan will be back. If his other project conflicted with Downton it would be obvious that he wouldn't have time to play Evelyn anymore (because he seems very committed to Mr. Sloane). But anyway, now that it's [semi] cleared up, we are at Square 1 again: he seems to have the right opening in his schedule but we still have no idea if/when he'll be called back for S5.
I think we will be waiting for news until, maybe, April -- because they film the second half of the series from May to July. He might only be needed for the later episodes. Who knows. Fingers crossed!
I think they might have. He probably kicked himself over it the whole time--because remember he didn't even want to compliment her, let alone finish this sentence.

And I don't think she would have said anything either because she's processing it all--that her friend whom she thought thought was too good for her is and possibly was in love with her this whole time.

He avoided her the next day too. And of course when he was leaving, and by going to France.

Yeah we got it April last year. I'm not worried. Did you see Allen's q&a yesterday? Someone asked him if he was Team Gillingham or Blake and he again said Team Napier. Which makes me think he might have read something in the script because why else would he be fresh in his mind?

Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I think they might have. He probably kicked himself over it the whole time--because remember he didn't even want to compliment her, let alone finish this sentence.

And I don't think she would have said anything either because she's processing it all--that her friend whom she thought thought was too good for her is and possibly was in love with her this whole time.

He avoided her the next day too. And of course when he was leaving, and by going to France.

Yeah we got it April last year. I'm not worried. Did you see Allen's q&a yesterday? Someone asked him if he was Team Gillingham or Blake and he again said Team Napier. Which makes me think he might have read something in the script because why else would he be fresh in his mind?
Yes, there's no way (a VERY SLIGHT CHANCE) that he would feel compelled to bring up Napier if he hadn't seen a mention of him somewhere recently. Otherwise the last time he read Napier's name in a script was almost 6 months ago. And the fact that Bonneville was clearly alluding to Napier when he mentioned someone we already met or whatever adds to that. These two men don't seem like ones who are intently paying attention to the shipper world. They must have Evelyn in their head for some reason, so I think he at least got a mention in a recent script, most likely more than that.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlover92 (View Post)
Yes, there's no way (a VERY SLIGHT CHANCE) that he would feel compelled to bring up Napier if he hadn't seen a mention of him somewhere recently. Otherwise the last time he read Napier's name in a script was almost 6 months ago. And the fact that Bonneville was clearly alluding to Napier when he mentioned someone we already met or whatever adds to that. These two men don't seem like ones who are intently paying attention to the shipper world. They must have Evelyn in their head for some reason, so I think he at least got a mention in a recent script, most likely more than that.
Hugh and Allen saw Brendan at the NTA Awards a month ago. The 3 of them repped Downton that night. So I think that's the more likely reason Evelyn is fresh in their minds, & they're just giving BP a little shoutout by saying Team Napier.
Of course if they saw his name in the script I'd be the first to do a happy dance.

Last edited by ediedoyle; 02-24-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvlover92 (View Post)
I think this makes more sense than the NTA--because the way the series ended you could say ( in fact many are saying ) he wasn't even an option, if you weren't really 'into' it. The question was the boss or Gillingham.

I mean that's like asking a question about Gregson and the actors talking about Strallan because they had drinks with Robert Bathurst.

I just love that we're keeping this going. There's so much to the character and he's an honorable man that can bring out the best in her, not the worst.

Last edited by lassothemoon; 02-24-2014 at 06:12 PM
Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I think this makes more sense than the NTA--because the way the series ended you could say ( in fact many are saying ) he wasn't even an option, if you weren't really 'into' it. The question was the boss or Gillingham.

I mean that's like asking a question about Gregson and the actors talking about Strallan because they had drinks with Robert Bathurst.

I just love that we're keeping this going. There's so much to the character and he's an honorable man that can bring out the best in her, not the worst.
I guess I'm playing it down so I don't go insane if things don't go the way I hope for.
Believe what you will, and so will I. But I agree it's lovely we're able to keep this going. Every time I start to think Evelyn's return & a pairing with Mary is impossible, someone/something manages to change my mind again. He is too good a character to pass over.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I guess I'm playing it down so I don't go insane if things don't go the way I hope for.
Believe what you will, and so will I. But I agree it's lovely we're able to keep this going. Every time I start to think Evelyn's return & a pairing with Mary is impossible, someone/something manages to change my mind again. He is too good a character to pass over.
Agreed. There's too much there to dismiss it as meaningless. I'm like Robert in that I want a good man and a brave man for Mary. And since that's clearly he, I won't settle for less.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I do that sometimes, too. I really hated seeing so little of him in the finale and CS. But between the cast support and the way things left off, I *do* think Evelyn has a shot here.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Same here. I'm still hoping he'd be back for S5 and I really hope it'll be a multi-episode arc guesting. If there's a spoiler I would want to know, it's this. If he is doing Mr. Sloane the same time filming for D.A. is on, then we need to worry. But he's not a regular on the show so there's still hope. We really can't tell which is frustrating. We'll just have to wait and see.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Last edited by L i N d $ @ y; 02-26-2014 at 06:30 AM
Old 02-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Same here. I'm still hoping he'd be back for S5 and I really hope it'll be a multi-episode arc guesting. If there's a spoiler I would want to know, it's this. If he is doing Mr. Sloane the same time filming for D.A. is on, then we need to worry. But he's not a regular on the show so there's still hope. We really can't tell which is frustrating. We'll just have to wait and see.
DA premieres in the fall, which is when Mr. Sloane is filming.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM
New Fan

Quote:
DA premieres in the fall, which is when Mr. Sloane is filming.
So DA is finished filming before Mr. Sloane would start filming..? Humm!

I like the sound of that!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkygirl (View Post)
So DA is finished filming before Mr. Sloane would start filming..?
Yes. Exactly. DA films from Feb to July (or August?). Mr Sloane filmed S1 in the last week of August to September.