Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Dedicated Fan

The Lovelies ( Mary & Evelyn #4 ): Because It'll Be Better in the Long Run ;)

#4;
mary crawley & evelyn napier

appreciation thread

Fan videos:

Choose Life
A Thousand Years
Young and Beautiful
The Honourable Evelyn Napier

Fanfiction:
Anything written by Lasso the Moon

Supporters:

1. Famu
2. quaist
3. ajblondie17
4. lassothemoon
5. L i N d $ @ y
6. hlgreenie
7. Sana81
8. Rastapopoulos
9. pio231
10. maybeitis
11. ediedoyle

Why ship it?

1. He has high hopes for the institution.
2. He wants to marry for love.
3. He showed loyalty after being rejected when he did not speak a word of her affair with Pamuk.
4. He cares what she thinks of him.
5. He pursues her after 10 years from his initial attempt
6. Violet told Mary to choose either life or death. Evelyn's name means life.
7. Her face brightened when Evelyn came to visit.
8. She encouraged him to stay over, so she could see more of him.
9. He drives a Fiat.
10. He spoke against his boss in her defense.
11. They share similar views to love:
"I believe that marriage should be based on love, at least at the start." Evelyn
"Shouldn't there be some mention of love?" - Mary after Carlisle's proposal.
12. He knows about the Pamuk affair but doesn't care.
13. He can still call her Mary, of course.
14. She kissed his cheek. Immediately.
15. Because he suddenly thought "Why not take a chance?"
16. Because she's so glad he did.
17. He didn't want to bring Blake to stay at her home.
18. He's blind where she's concerned.
19. She's welcome to take charge of him.
20. She likes to take charge.
21. He reached out to Downton during the war.
22. JF can play this off as if it was intended all along and not just trying to throw something together after Dan Stevens left.
23. Because...FIDGET!!!
24. Who wants an old sea monster when you can have Perseus?
25. She was in his thoughts a great deal.
26. The first time we ever seen Evelyn on screen, he rides in on a white horse.
27. Because they're both such fidgety babies.
28. Because Cora approves.

Guess what time it is

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yay, new thread! Lovely.

Thanks.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblondie17 (View Post)
Yay, new thread! Lovely.

Thanks.
No problem.

So I read that some people think Mary's just dangling the main two 'on a string', like she said, and is waiting for Evelyn to like actually make a move. I agree, but what do you think that making a move would entail? She's definitely out of mourning now, so it makes sense for this to be his time.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lassothemoon (View Post)
No problem.

So I read that some people think Mary's just dangling the main two 'on a string', like she said, and is waiting for Evelyn to like actually make a move. I agree, but what do you think that making a move would entail? She's definitely out of mourning now, so it makes sense for this to be his time.
I honestly have no idea! I almost wonder if it would be better for Mary to get jealous and make a move herself. Or maybe Evelyn just needs to barge into the house and kiss her.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 AM
Moderator Manager

TFTNT!

Sometimes I wish Evelyn was a bit more aggressive but the more I think about it, I prefer him the way he is. He's a gentleman, he's not pushy and definitely good looking.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I honestly have no idea! I almost wonder if it would be better for Mary to get jealous and make a move herself. Or maybe Evelyn just needs to barge into the house and kiss her.
Mary making the move would be a good counterpoint to her being chased.

And an impulsive kiss would be good!

Aggressiveness where it's ungentlemanly isn't Evelyn Napier. That's why I like him. He isn't petty.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
New Fan

Quote:
No problem.

I don't know about that, because Evelyn did make that comment about 'being blind where she's concerned' and Mary did seem uncomfortable with his comment, and her only reply was about going back to the house...

Although, that being said.. she did flat out refuse the other two I believe..?

So maybe a 'no comment' from Mary is a good thing?

Damn I wish JF hadn't made this so bloody confusing with THREE suitors at the same time.. If they'd each showed up at Downton separately, it may have been easier to figure out..

P.S. I still say she should have slapped Tony with his 'He's dead, I'm alive' comment. I would have.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkygirl (View Post)
I don't know about that, because Evelyn did make that comment about 'being blind where she's concerned' and Mary did seem uncomfortable with his comment, and her only reply was about going back to the house...

Although, that being said.. she did flat out refuse the other two I believe..?

So maybe a 'no comment' from Mary is a good thing?

Damn I wish JF hadn't made this so bloody confusing with THREE suitors at the same time.. If they'd each showed up at Downton separately, it may have been easier to figure out..

P.S. I still say she should have slapped Tony with his 'He's dead, I'm alive' comment. I would have.
Uncomfortable but for different reasons. As I pointed out in the other thread, this is the man she thinks rejected her because of Pamuk--and she knew he knew. Now imagine that man comes back into her life, after the man she loves died, and claims to be blind to her faults. Think of the uncomfortable number of " what ifs " that accompany such a loaded statement.

The brilliant thing is this is the first time we've seen them speak since 1914--and Cora knew full well he loved her, but she hasn't found out until now, in this moment. So yes it did throw her for a loop.

There was nothing to say "no" to because he never asked her for anything, but he simply sensed that she wasn't ready and backed off.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Addicted Fan

Took this quiz -http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/quizzes/personality-quiz/downton-abbey-s4-quiz-which-bachelor-right-for-you/ first time round got Blake! retook it and got Branson, slightly better I suppose but still wanted it to be Evelyn.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pio231 (View Post)
Took this quiz -http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/quizzes/personality-quiz/downton-abbey-s4-quiz-which-bachelor-right-for-you/ first time round got Blake! retook it and got Branson, slightly better I suppose but still wanted it to be Evelyn.
I don't think Evelyn's an option for the quiz! I took it and got Gillingham, and my other friends have been trying all the combos and haven't got him.

Which is okay because he's not a bachelor--his heart belongs to Mary

Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

I agree that one of the best things about Evelyn is that he's *not* aggressive. I don't want him to become aggressive, exactly. But I would like to see him at some point openly court Mary and Mary responding warmly to this openness.

#TeamPerseus
Old 02-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I agree that one of the best things about Evelyn is that he's *not* aggressive. I don't want him to become aggressive, exactly. But I would like to see him at some point openly court Mary and Mary responding warmly to this openness.
Yes, exactly! And I think that's different from what we've seen in S4.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Yes, exactly! And I think that's different from what we've seen in S4.
What's different from what we've seen in S4??
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkygirl (View Post)
What's different from what we've seen in S4??
What aj described--a courtship Mary entered on her own of her own volition, because I don't buy the argument that she 'doesn't like Evelyn' when she told the other two no.

And it's that respect that makes him better in the long run--which is something that I think is very clear Fellowes is doing to make him stand out.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:53 PM
New Fan

Quote:
What aj described--a courtship Mary entered on her own of her own volition, because I don't buy the argument that she 'doesn't like Evelyn' when she told the other two no.

And it's that respect that makes him better in the long run--which is something that I think is very clear Fellowes is doing to make him stand out.
Oh yeah! Ok, gotcha! I still don't like the fact that there's no mention of him returning in S5..but we were surprised last time so...

*fingers crossed*

Last edited by sharkygirl; 02-18-2014 at 07:05 PM