Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2018, 03:04 PM
Master Fan

Nina,

Thank you very much about the icon made by myself, I wanted to make icons for all episodes of Jessica Jones and I dropped it after like 3... I hope I can do it before the new season starts

Where did you go? I mean which country?

I went to France, UK, Belgium and Netherlands (Holland) ♥
Old 01-18-2018, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, May! Sorry for just replying now. I was elsewhere for a moment. And I agree, you have a nice icon. I don't watch Jessica Jones, but still.

Aww, I'm sorry you didn't get winter this year. Would you like to trade with me? I've come to hate winter, but I guess it's mostly because my apartment gets so cold in wintertime. If I had a house like the one I grew up in perhaps I'd feel differently.

That's awesome, May! I hope you had a good time in Europe! I've been there, but not to those countries. I was only in London briefly getting a connection flight in Heathrow. But I'm glad you finally went there. Did you do anything cool?

Hi, Nina! Well, we're going to have to agree to strongly disagree about Iris. I guess Supergirl being in a separate universe kinda prevented me from getting invested in the show, although I did like the crossover episodes with The Flash and Kara teaming up with Barry and the other Arrowverse characters. And it sounds like Black Lightning is everything I feared it would be. I do wish CW would get their heads out of the tween-millennial market and make shows that didn't rely on formula.

Yeah, Martin Stein will be missed on Legends, I agree. Although there's still enough about that show that I like to make me stick with it. I just wish they had given Ray Palmer a better storyline because they really did drop the ball with The Atom in my opinion. And while I love Mick, I'm gonna miss Leonard. The Arrowverse isn't the same without Captain Cold. But Sara Lance is my goddess. I just wish she was still on Arrow because she really was one of the best things about the show.

So you're only on episode 3 of Riverdale season 2? I haven't seen the last episode yet, but I'm gonna try to watch it tonight. Episode 10, chapter 23, The Blackboard Jungle. They're still borrowing movie titles, although they've recently moved away from the film noir/horror titles. I also caught up with This Is Us. I haven't seen the new Arrow yet, and it's gonna be a long wait until The Gifted comes back in September. I can only hope that Alex Summers can somehow come to the show since the X-Men films unceremoniously killed him off. The show could use the Alex/Lorna romance from the comics.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Elite Fan

May - oh cool. Perhaps you can make me a Trish & Jessica icon since I just got more icon space on LJ? And... I'll PM you shortly. Missed you. One of these days I'll have to fix my tumblr account.

Alex - No, we don't that's the beauty of it. As always we can simply disagree. I love Iris, you don't. End of story. See that's why I liked Supergirl better – especially the first season, it had a different touch than Arrow etc. – I particularly liked the mentor relationship between Cat Grant and Kara, that was very well done and also juxtaposed well with Kara's relationship with Siobhan Smythe (Silver Banshee) as she was competing with her in the workplace. There was a lot to love about that first season. Calista Flockhart was flawless.

I agree, they've totally dropped the ball where Ray Palmer/The Atom is concerned. Ultimately there are too many people on that ship, if they left Zari, Amaya and Nathaniel somewhere I wouldn't even notice they barely have any personality. You know, I liked the episodes last season with the JSA... it almost made me wish that they'd take over the waverider and drop everyone else off somewhere on a beach.

I started watching and the focus was so much on the teens, the only thing I liked was Hiram/Hermione, and it didn't seem like Alice and FP would reunite soon so I dripped the ball.

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Nina! I'm sorry I'm just replying to you now. I was watching the Philadelphia Flyers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs game. The Flyers won in OT 3-2.

Yep, we can disagree on Iris. As for Supergirl, I think that the only thing that I disliked about it(or anyone else I've heard from for that matter) was the whole James Olsen/Winn Schott thing. Seriously, the show didn't need either of them. And since when is Jimmy Olsen some alpha male model type? That's not the kind of guy who'd be following Clark Kent and Lois Lane around as a sidekick. Total miscast. I guess the whole Kara/Mon-El thing was okay. Fans seemed to like it, but I heard the ending in season two was a bit disappointing. But that seems to be the standard for romantic storylines - they always break the couple up until the inevitable reunion. And I like Calista Flockhart, but I don't know if she really fits the Cat Grant character from the comics. Cat was always more of a sex kitten/tabloid type. Whenever Bruce Wayne came to Metropolis, she'd be like, "Guys, hide your girlfriends! Gotham's hottest, most eligible bachelor is in town!" Calista's Cat was a bit more serious, but I guess that show did make a lot of deviations from the comics.

I was hoping that after Ray was introduced in Arrow and The Flash that he'd get a spinoff that did him justice, but they seem to have just forgotten about developing him. They did do that one episode where a young Ray befriended a young Dominator in the 80's during yet another homage to Spielberg and other 80's pop culture, but not much else. I agree, that show may have too many characters.

Have Alice and FP reunited? I haven't watched all of the last episode yet, so I'll let you know how I feel when I get caught up.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:57 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
was the whole James Olsen/Winn Schott thing
It doesn't really bother me. Since these characters are way way in the background and don't take up much space.

I didn't dislike Mon-El or Kara/Mon-El but now that he is married I just want him to leave again.

You know in all honesty, I disagree, I don't think that the show has to follow the comics to the letter and Cat Grant did well with the "update" into the 2010s as a power media mogul. That being said, regarding the line you quoted, it wasn't Bruce Wayne but Clark Kent, she did a bit of mooning over him when he came to visit Kara in season 2. So it's not far off.

All those shows make deviations from the comics. Or did the Green Arrow marry Felicity Smoak? That's not even a slight deviation that's actually pretty huge.

I don't know, that's the only part I'm really interested in – Alice/FP so until that happens I'm not sure about catching up. (Though I did like what I saw of Hiram/Hermione so far.)

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Master Fan

Nina,

About Tumblr, I don't really use mine much anymore and I have so many screencaps extra blogs that I've left unattended I'm terrible.

I can sure make one! just tell me which scene you want, I made of the first 3 episodes you can check them on my LJ if you haven't yet

Alex,

I didn't do much in Europe except the basic which is walk and walk and do more walking taking a lot of pictures, eating odd meals and meeting great people (from the tour) that btw I dreamt with last night I miss some of them, they were all so nice.

Oh and well I jumped up a carousel in London cause it was THE CUTEST THING EVER.

Not my picture, I did take one but that one is smaller and from the internet
Old 01-19-2018, 02:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

It looks so shiney.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Arinna! Hi, Nina! Hi, May! Well, it's still chilly, but we're expecting a warm up this weekend. You're gonna get one too up in New York City, Nina!

Just a lot of walking, May? Well, that's what I did when I was in Europe, along with a lot of eating. I also met some great people. I hope you get a chance to go back there and reunite with some of them.

Ohhh, you got to ride a carousel in London? But not the one in the photo you posted, right? And did you go on those Ferris wheels there too? I only ask because there's one in the background. I hope you can post some of the pics you took.

Hi, Nina! Yeah, I've noticed that since season 1, James and Winn aren't that involved in the story from what I've seen. But I still think that this James Olsen is a far cry from Jimmy Olsen in the comics. I can't see this guy being a sidekick to anyone. He's more like the type of guy who'd be a globetrotting photojournalist going after his own stories. So Mon-El is married? I guess that's why so many Kara/Mon-El shippers were disappointed. But do you think he'll stay that way? You know how these storylines always go. The writers always do this, just like they did to Sydney Bristow and Michael Vaughn on Alias. It is a bit cliché.

As for fidelity to the comics, I don't mind slight deviations from the source material, Nina. Oliver being with Felicity, for instance. True, that didn't happen in the comics, but Oliver Queen has never been exclusive with anyone. Sure, he's had his thing with Dinah Lance/Black Canary, but they've never been exclusive or endgame. Dinah had a thing with Bruce Wayne once, and Oliver is... well, Oliver. And on the original Flash TV show in 1990 they got rid of Iris after one episode and focused on Barry and Christina McGee. It's not like Barry didn't have any other love interests in the comics either. Minor differences are okay, but not major ones that deviate from the story and character so far that it really isn't the same character anymore.

I guess it's possible that Cat Grant has grown and become more of a serious journalist than she was in her tabloid days when she wrote "Cat Calls." The problem is that Cat is supposed to be around the same age as Lois Lane, and this Cat Grant seems much older than Lois. They were friendly rivals in the newsroom at The Daily Planet. Oh well. And yeah, it seems like they just borrowed that line from Cat about Bruce Wayne in the comics and gave it to Clark Kent instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
I don't know, that's the only part I'm really interested in – Alice/FP so until that happens I'm not sure about catching up. (Though I did like what I saw of Hiram/Hermione so far.)
I'm still getting caught up on the Riverdale episode because I've only watched half of it so far. I agree, Hiram and Hermione are starting to get more active and involved in the storyline. I'm a bit shocked to see what Cheryl's mom has had to do to make money lately. And Archie being recruited by the FBI? We're getting into serious Twin Peaks territory here. Even Madchen Amick(Alice) made mention of all the Twin Peaks references, like Betty's dream where she saw the Black Hood crawling over the sofa towards her, just like Killer Bob did to Maddy in her dream. Madchen Tweeted "I see you #Twin Peaks... uhhh, I mean #Riverdale."
Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Elite Fan

May - oh, what fun! I'll check out your LJ and have a look. Yeah, it's weird with tumblr they constantly want me to change my password, everything got so much slower, it was barely accessible... the only reason why I'm thinking about going back is because of "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" fandom. It's small enough as it is but that's where the most people seem to gather.

Arinna -

Alex - Well, Mon-El is married to Shadow Lass in the comics. They only picked Saturn Girl for the show because they couldn't find a convincing way to show Shadow Lass's powers, that would have been too difficult technically. I except they'll leave eventually with the rest of the Legion of Superheroes since they are on a mission to hunt down the aliens who destroyed Spark's/Alya Ranzz's home planet.

See, I don't think this is a slight deviation at all – Felicity plays such a prominent role in the series that she has never had before. I think this is pretty major. Meanwhile making Cat a bit older and assigning her a role that is frankly updated for this day and age and not sexist, that is something I'd call slight and also absolutely warranted.

As for The Flash – let's just leave it at I love Iris and you do not, if it's all the same to you. I do not see the merit in talking about this. You have formed your opinion, you are talking right over me. There's no point.

Six more weeks till UPenn plays Cornell in Women's Lacrosse... counting the days...

Old 01-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hey, Nina!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hi, Nina!

Well, I'm only saying that the relationships between Kara/Mon-El and Oliver/Felicity don't compromise the characters or the story to a significant degree. They basically made Felicity to Oliver what Barbara Gordon was to Bruce Wayne, the Oracle to his Batman, although they took it further to a romantic level. I've seen the comics pair characters that had nothing to do with each other in previous decades, like Janet Van Dyne(Wasp) having a child with Alex Summers(Havok), which is something I still think was slightly off, but not devastating. And like I said, I don't mind the change they made to Cat Grant, just that they made her older and no longer a foil for Lois Lane, that's all. I don't think Cat was sexist in the comics, just whimsical. Her iteration on Lois & Clark, on the other hand, that was a bit over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki K (View Post)
As for The Flash – let's just leave it at I love Iris and you do not, if it's all the same to you. I do not see the merit in talking about this. You have formed your opinion, you are talking right over me. There's no point.
Hey, I'm sorry, Nina. I wasn't trying to do that, honest. I was just using the original Flash TV show from 1990 as an example, that's all. I'm sorry if it seemed like I was talking over you. I apologize.

I hope you have a good time watching the Lacrosse game. I've never watched that sport to be honest. But my Eagles are playing the Vikings in the NFC Championship game tomorrow, and the winner of that game will play the winner of the AFC Championship game between the Patriots and the Jaguars in Super Bowl 52!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:16 PM
Elite Fan

It's still six weeks till the season starts.

Up to episode 5 on Riverdale – sadly still no FP/Alice though Alice's outfit at Hiram's and Hermione's party would have clearly pleased FP. Hal was so embarrassed.

Hey Arinna! How are you?

Old 01-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm good. It's the weekend after all. I hope you feel good too. We just did a watch with Alex, and I'm going to bed now, because it's after midnight here. So, nighty-night from me!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ah, okay. And only two weeks until the Super Bowl and NFL season ends. After that I'll only have the NHL and MLB. My Flyers are still in the NHL playoff hunt, but they have to hurry. They're only one game out of the wild card spot. My baseball team, the Phillies, were horrible last year, so I'm not expecting much.

I just finished the last episode of Riverdale. Still no FP/Alice, but some good Alice moments. And FP is being a good mentor to Jughead. Oh, and you just saw that outfit that Alice wore to Hiram and Hermione's party, huh? That was awesome. Alice even told Hal to shove it.

Goodnight, Arinna!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

Goodnight Arinna! And enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Yes, like I wrote in my first post about it –*six weeks till Lacrosse season starts.

The show takes too long to make my OTP happen. Meh.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread