Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Elite Fan

My only beef with Math in regards to her grades is that he was acting all pal like with Lux in season one after she was teased about her childhood letters. He was the one giving her a pep talk then, so why wouldn't he step in and figure out why she's not putting an effort in school? He acted concerned before, why not now? I just feel like Math is the most inconsistent character. The only consistency is his strange obsession with Cate and being a horrible friend to Baze.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by TvJunkie (View Post)
I don't blame Math he's a friend but he's not Cate/Baze's keeper. It's up to Lux's parents to I don't know parent their child.

Instead of being Lux's pal maybe Baze should start acting like a parent and find out how Lux is doing in school and elsewhere. As for Cate she needs to stop being self-absorbed and pay attention to her child.

I wonder when Cate was begging the principal to let Lux in if she knew what Lux's grades were. Because I'm sure there was a difference between where Lux was going to school and where she wound up at.

I'm sorry but most times it feels like Lux is the parent and Baze/Cate are the bickering children.

I wouldn't be surprised if hot young teacher becomes Lux's tutor and that's how they get closer.
Ok...so I have to defend Cate and Baze a little.

As for Baze, I agree...he was VERY immature at the beginning of the series and only treated Lux like a friend. He was afraid of becoming his dad. But he has grown a lot, and he has consistently shown that he is trying to earn his daughter's respect. Like he told her...he will never stop trying to be her dad. You have to respect that. Since she came into his life, he has been there for her. After losing Cate, and the bar...I think he is absolutely sincere about "fixing" things in his life that are broken. That means his relationship with Lux - learning how to be a real dad.

As for Cate, I agree that she can be self-absorbed and prideful sometimes. I admit I did not like her much in the premiere until we finally got to hospital. But at the hospital, she really acted like a mom when she scolded Lux, and she was sweet to Baze. Like Baze, she is trying to grow and to be better. When it comes down to it, I think she has really stepped up when it comes to Lux. She has been there for her and tried her best to protect her and take care of her. We've seen her go into "mama bear" mode several times. The reason she asked the principal to let her into Westmonte was because the school Lux was attending had just experienced a GANG FIGHT and Cate was worried for Lux's safety!

I'm just saying give Cate and Baze a break. They have only been learning how to be parents to Lux for a few short months. Many parents who have their kids their whole lives can't figure out how to discipline them! And, I'm sorry to say it, but most parents of teenagers don't know where there kids are EVERY second, either. Cate and Baze are doing their best. Cate and Baze have never tried to "punish" Lux because they were afraid of losing her. But now that they have officially adopted her, I think they will begin to be a little more confident in their parent roles and work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
My only beef with Math in regards to her grades is that he was acting all pal like with Lux in season one after she was teased about her childhood letters. He was the one giving her a pep talk then, so why wouldn't he step in and figure out why she's not putting an effort in school? He acted concerned before, why not now? I just feel like Math is the most inconsistent character. The only consistency is his strange obsession with Cate and being a horrible friend to Baze.
Good point. That's why I'm thinking we are going to get a Lux/Math convo in this episode. But...IMO it's a little too late. He is very inconsistent. Yes, he's not Cate and Baze's keeper, or Lux's. But he is a friend. And he apparently cares about Lux. Why wouldn't he have been concerned about Lux's grades before this? We saw him helping her with homework once, but that's it.

Last edited by kerbear28; 09-20-2010 at 01:32 PM
Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree Keri. Cate and Baze are trying their best to learn how to be parents and Lux is a teenager and you're right even other parents don't know exactly where there kids are at all the times or how they are doing in school. Cate and Baze had no way of knowing that Lux wasn't doing well in school, Im sure Cate asked and Lux could have easily lied and said she was doing fine and she would have no reason not to believe her unless the school contacted her to tell her otherwise. They want to believe that their kid is doing good and if there is no indications that she is failing out how would they know. At that time its up to the school and the teachers to contact the parents about her bad grades. Send a letter home or call the parents in. Its not Cate and Baze's fault
Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofYouth (View Post)
If Lux goes to a public school, Westmonte has all the aspects of that- no uniforms, football team, etc., then all Cate had to do is fill out some paperwork to enroll her, since she lives in the district. There would be no begging or pulling of strings required to enroll her, and that was the school Lux should have been going to based on where she lives. I graduated from a public school, and plenty of my classmates started in the middle of year due to moves, etc.

I've never heard of anyone getting expelled for bad grades. They'd get held back a grade, not expelled.

Convo between Cate and Principal:
Cate: I'm here to enroll a new student- to start tomorrow.
Principal (cheerful tone): Sure! Come on in!
Actually, students don't get held back anymore (at least I believe so). Wasn't there a law or something that passed called "No child left behind"? Basically you don't fail or get held back anymore, to continue onto the next grade but placed in a remedial class or receive extra help/attention? . I may be wrong since I'm bad at following laws ( ) but I could have sworn that was the case since I've been in elementary school and Bill Clinton was president That or you just don't graduate and students kick themselves out It's all just so strange...
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Addicted Fan

You rock, Keri!

Quote:
Many parents who have their kids their whole lives can't figure out how to discipline them! And, I'm sorry to say it, but most parents of teenagers don't know where there kids are EVERY second, either.
Just to give an example from the show: I bet Jones's parents didn't know the party at the loft would have snuck in alcohol. I feel safe assuming this, because Jones's dad confiscated his car in the next episode for "partying". I would also bet, that Jones's parents didn't know that Jones and his friends would raid their liquor cabinet in Storm Weathered.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelface211 (View Post)
I agree Keri. Cate and Baze are trying their best to learn how to be parents and Lux is a teenager and you're right even other parents don't know exactly where there kids are at all the times or how they are doing in school. Cate and Baze had no way of knowing that Lux wasn't doing well in school, Im sure Cate asked and Lux could have easily lied and said she was doing fine and she would have no reason not to believe her unless the school contacted her to tell her otherwise. They want to believe that their kid is doing good and if there is no indications that she is failing out how would they know. At that time its up to the school and the teachers to contact the parents about her bad grades. Send a letter home or call the parents in. Its not Cate and Baze's fault
Exactly. No matter how involved parents are in their children's lives, they can't know everything. Teenagers have a hard time opening up to parents when they are struggling - even in the best of situations. If they asked, I'm sure Lux wouldn't have told them the truth. She doesn't want to disappoint them or make them think they got a "lemon" when they adopted her. At some point, you just have to trust the school, teachers, other adults etc. to let you know what's going on.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're right Cristal. Im not exactly sure of that law either but I do remember it from when I was in middle school that there would be no child left behind.

That makes sense Keri, Lux wants her parents to think she's good so that they will want to keep her
Old 09-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
Actually, students don't get held back anymore (at least I believe so). Wasn't there a law or something that passed called "No child left behind"? Basically you don't fail or get held back anymore, to continue onto the next grade but placed in a remedial class or receive extra help/attention? . I may be wrong since I'm bad at following laws ( ) but I could have sworn that was the case since I've been in elementary school and Bill Clinton was president That or you just don't graduate and students kick themselves out It's all just so strange...
"No child left behind" was passed when Bush was president. I guess that would explain the concept of "Social Promotion" at my elementary and middle schools. Actually, now that I think about it, at my high school you would get sent to summer school. I still stand by what I said about not getting expelled for grades alone.

I guess Lux managed to go through the mail before Cate got home from work, and "lose" her report card. Although you'd think Cate and Baze would both remember those from their school days.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofYouth (View Post)
If Lux goes to a public school, Westmonte has all the aspects of that- no uniforms, football team, etc., then all Cate had to do is fill out some paperwork to enroll her, since she lives in the district. There would be no begging or pulling of strings required to enroll her, and that was the school Lux should have been going to based on where she lives. I graduated from a public school, and plenty of my classmates started in the middle of year due to moves, etc.

I've never heard of anyone getting expelled for bad grades. They'd get held back a grade, not expelled.

Convo between Cate and Principal:
Cate: I'm here to enroll a new student- to start tomorrow.
Principal (cheerful tone): Sure! Come on in!
I went to public school to and the only requirement was that you lived in the district. And my brother had horrible grades and almost didn't graduate...but they never attempted to kick him out. Basically they said, you have to pull these grades up or you won't be graduating on time.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Instead of being Lux's pal maybe Baze should start acting like a parent and find out how Lux is doing in school and elsewhere. As for Cate she needs to stop being self-absorbed and pay attention to her child.
We must watch 2 different shows. Baze has started acting like a parent. Does the end of last season and the premiere ring a bell? And Cate has tried to be their for Lux. She does pay attention to her. That's what all of season 1 was about. So they don't know she's failing out? Big ****ing deal. I know plenty of kids whose parents don't know how badly they're doing in school. Does it make them self-absorbed or bad parents? No. Is it their fault their kid doesn't let them know? Does the school not hand out progress reports? I remember that's what they used to do when I was in school. Blaming them instead of who really is at fault here is ridiculous.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkPunk88 (View Post)
We must watch 2 different shows. Baze has started acting like a parent. Does the end of last season and the premiere ring a bell? And Cate has tried to be their for Lux. She does pay attention to her. That's what all of season 1 was about. So they don't know she's failing out? Big ****ing deal. I know plenty of kids whose parents don't know how badly they're doing in school. Does it make them self-absorbed or bad parents? No. Is it their fault their kid doesn't let them know? Does the school not hand out progress reports? I remember that's what they used to do when I was in school. Blaming them instead of who really is at fault here is ridiculous.
Amen! I'll admit that Cate and Baze have made mistakes and aren't "perfect" parents - but who the heck is?!!! They are present in Lux's life now, they care, and they TRY. In my book, that makes them GREAT parents.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
Amen! I'll admit that Cate and Baze have made mistakes and aren't "perfect" parents - but who the heck is?!!! They are present in Lux's life now, they care, and they TRY. In my book, that makes them GREAT parents.
Agreed. They are totally trying. I don't think them not knowing she's failing is because they don't care and aren't involved.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Loyal Fan

The No Child Left Behind Act has nothing to do with whether or not a child can fail or be held back for a year. That is still done. That law was about changing standards and accountability to get better results from students and, in some cases, teachers. It determined factors such as funding and vouchers.

A student cannot "fail out" of a public school. Lux would be held back if her grades don't improve. She certainly wouldn't be eligible for things such as playing on the basketball team if her grades were that bad (unless it's just a club and not the official school basketball team).

I think Lux will start to live up to the expectations put before her. Bug told us that she's always had bad grades and it's clear Lux didn't have foster parents who care. Kids will rise to the level of expectations put before them. Now that Cate and Baze are going to aware of the problem, I can see them (especially Cate) putting a lot of pressure on her to do better. And I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Lux will probably rise to the occasion. Sure there's going to be whining and arguing, but I think that Lux really wants to please her parents and is going to try. And in the process learn some things about herself.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkPunk88 (View Post)
Agreed. They are totally trying. I don't think them not knowing she's failing is because they don't care and aren't involved.

Can't wait for tonight's episode.
It has nothing to do with the fact that they don't care. Its about Lux and the school. Cate and Baze are doing the best they can and it is no way their fault
Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

I think Cate and Baze are trying and they are becoming good parents, but I also think this situation with Lux's grades is unrealistic. My parents both work at schools. Cate told Lux they live in the district for Westmonte when Lux asked how she could just transfer her. If they live in district, Westmonte has to take her regardless of how bad her grades are. Also, you cannot really get kicked out of a public school for grades. It's really hard to get kicked out of a public school for anything. Legally they have to provide an education to everyone. We can make excuses like Lux didn't show them her report cards, but really they should have had some idea what her grades were. There are report cards, parent teacher conferences, some schools require a parent's signature on failed tests, and teachers can always call parents if they're concerned. I find it very hard to believe that Cate and Baze would have no idea Lux's grades were bad and even harder to believe that the first step would be a meeting with the principal, not a phone call or meeting with individual teachers. In Math's defense (and I hate Math, so believe me I'm not much for defending the guy), there are privacy laws. Teachers don't usually know students' grades in classes other than their own. Of course it would be nice if he asked Lux how she was doing or helped her more. It's a TV show, though. They're not always realistic.