Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystaline (View Post)
I keep saying Cate needs a female confidant to unload on and commiserate with. She can't keep doing that with Lux. She's her kid.
Exactly, I'm glad someone else took note of this - I was starting to tow the line with 'uncomfortable' with it. I mean, I get that Lux is her daughter and she's not some little kid who needs to be sheltered but I think some 'tact' on what she shares and how she shares it should be in place. After all, Cate is the parent and Lux is the child.

Quote:
So far from what we've seen, I'd say that Cate is the most broken of all the characters. Lux has a lot of buried secrets, I'm sure - but we're seeing how much Cate's past and how it's all building up is effecting her. At some point I can see her needing therapy or something. It's really taking a toll on her.
I can see Cate needing her own therapy and it might actually benefit her. Someone who will just listen, who doesn't have a stake in what she says or what decisions she makes - I think Cate needs someone 'neutral' to vent to to get everything off her chest without feeling 'judged' everytime she turns around. Not that the 'bad' is being excused but sometimes the confession without all that judgement is good for the soul and will help jumpstart the healing process so she can move forward with better decision making skills.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 AM
Passionate Fan

I love the title.
I love the way she lies, too.

BTW, I'm not supposed to be here because I haven't watched the episode yet and I don't won't to be spoiled, but I've read something really disturbing in FB (a comment from 2 guys), in the Cast page...and it's really shocking because the same thought had crossed my mind a couple of days ago...and maybe she claryfied something in Twitter (I couldn't make it)...the thing is...SHE'S NOT PREGNANT, IS SHE?
Old 10-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Total Fan

I've always kinda understood Cate. And I have never really been mad at her for anything.
I agree too she needs female companionship. That's why Alice is coming back!!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh, I didn't know Alice was coming back...I love her! She's probably my favorite supporting character. I wonder if Cate will lose her job, though, because doesn't she have Alice's old job?

I agree that Cate talks to Lux more like a friend than a daughter sometimes. I chalk it up to the age difference. It kind of reminds me of Lorelai and Rory in Gilmore Girls (just that aspect of their relationship, not the whole show). In both shows, the age difference is smaller than with the typical mother/daughter and sometimes they act more friendly and talk about things that most parents wouldn't talk about with their kids.

I think Lux is the most damaged character, but they all have issues. Cate has issues because her dad abandoned her, her mom was a drunk, Baze rejected her and her daughter blames her for everything bad that happened. Lux has been through more than Cate, though. Lux was abandoned by both parents for the first fifteen years of her life, kicked out of numerous foster homes, probably abused in some of the foster homes, and verbally abused by Bug. Lux should have the most issues just because of the abuse she's suffered.

I don't dislike Cate, but she does things that I don't like. I do like that she's real and not a perfect character so I wouldn't change her. But, I don't like how hypocritical she can be. I hate when people are hypocritical in real life. I got really annoyed with her last season when she blamed Baze for absolutely everything. I'm glad she's starting to take responsibility for her actions this season.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregirl82 (View Post)
I've always kinda understood Cate. And I have never really been mad at her for anything.
I agree too she needs female companionship. That's why Alice is coming back!!
I know Im so glad that Alice is coming back
Old 10-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxfan (View Post)
I don't dislike Cate, but she does things that I don't like. I do like that she's real and not a perfect character so I wouldn't change her. But, I don't like how hypocritical she can be. I hate when people are hypocritical in real life. I got really annoyed with her last season when she blamed Baze for absolutely everything. I'm glad she's starting to take responsibility for her actions this season.
Agreed. More often than not I empathize with her, but there are times when I just can't. Because she brings a lot of the drama to herself.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:02 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristalBuddy (View Post)
So far from what we've seen, I'd say that Cate is the most broken of all the characters. Lux has a lot of buried secrets, I'm sure - but we're seeing how much Cate's past and how it's all building up is effecting her. At some point I can see her needing therapy or something. It's really taking a toll on her.
yeah she def. could use therapy.

All of them actually should be going.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ya I think pretty much everyone on that show needs therapy
Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, but Cate needs it desperately!
I have been thinking about it for a long time now
Old 10-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Reign

PLEASE ADD ME! I can't believe I'm not on the list already! Shame on me. The more I get to know Cate, the more I love her and root for her. I really can relate to her. And Shiri's performances are just amazing. You could just see Cate's pain, anger and frustration in the last scene of "Honeymoon Interrupted." SPECTACULAR. I don't always like or agree with Cate's actions and choices (she really does bring a lot of drama on herself), but I understand them and sympathize with her when they come back to bite her. I really hope Cate finally does get the help, support and love she deserves. I agree that pretty much every character on this show needs a little therapy. A female confidant/friend for Cate would be great, and I'm SO EXCITED that Alice is coming back! I didn't know that! Although we don't know what that would mean for Cate's job... I agree that Cate can't keep turning to Lux.

ETA: tftnt Cristal!
Old 10-21-2010, 12:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerbear28 (View Post)
I agree that Cate can't keep turning to Lux.
That is something I find so weird...that Lux seems to be the voice of reason when it comes to Cate...Thay are absolutely disfinctional
Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
That is something I find so weird...that Lux seems to be the voice of reason when it comes to Cate...Thay are absolutely disfinctional
Hi Lorena

This kind of relationship is more normal than you think ... A friend of mine has a very similar LUX/Cate relationship with her mother... my friend's mother also gave birth to her at 16!
I think the little difference in age has something to do with the fact that Cate keeps turning to Lux for some kind of advice. And Lux is quite mature for her age

But I do think Cate needs a true friend who can be her confident. I don't think she has that relationship with anyone in the show ... not even with Alice.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

Added you Keri.

So many comments about the title. Who came up with it? I forgot already but I know I LOLed when I first saw the suggestion

I agree with what most of you say, that she shouldn't turn to Lux for most things - regardless of age, she's her daughter and sometimes its not the brightest idea for a mother to involve their child in troubles. My mom and I have a really trusting relationship and it feels like a friendship, but sometimes I wish I didn't know half of the things because it affects me too. When my mom hurts, I hurt too.

And while I agree that Cate needs a female confidant, someone to vent to, it'd be very interesting to see Cate having to go to therapy and actually talk about the pregnancy. That's where the root of all her masochistic tendencies come from, it's why she never feels like she's enough - her dad was the beginning but the pregnancy might've pushed her over the edge and just now she's breaking.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well, age difference aside - I do think there is some normalacy to a mother/daughter relationship in which the daughter discusses or knows about major things/events happening with the mother. I'm definitely not one of those people out there who believes 'shelter your child to the point where it feels like they get to live in a make believe world.' Obviously, I think the older the child gets, the more details she will know. It's not like Lux is seven and her mother is sitting her down and crying and venting about her life problems, lol. Lux is of an age where she can listen and try to offer some friendly, daughter advice. After all, there's a 30 year age difference between my mother and I and we discuss major things all the time and I know what goes on in her life - the good and the bad. I just think there still needs to be a bit of tact since Lux is still a teenager and not adult herself yet. She was robbed of most of her childhood, let her relax a bit from all that for the remaining time, that's all.

However, I do understand one of the biggest differences here too. We could argue that Lux/Cate are not even your typical/mother daughter relationship, they're still working on the boundaries to what their newfound relationship means. Lux doesn't even call Cate 'mom' yet so they are a bit different in alot of aspects. Cate and Lux could very well gravitate more towards each other when heavy conflict arises since they both can relate to it so well and it enables them to understand each other better.

I didn't know that Alice was coming back!

Quote:
That's where the root of all her masochistic tendencies come from, it's why she never feels like she's enough - her dad was the beginning but the pregnancy might've pushed her over the edge and just now she's breaking.
That's what's so sad, alot of the times these issues compile and build on each other and with no helpful intervention/guidance from the beginning of it all, the human condition makes it worse and it's almost impossible to crawl your way out of it all by yourself. The human mind/emotion unfortunately becomes conditioned to it, like the only thing it knows, and the bad decisions become like a twisted form of theraputic' norm.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 10-22-2010 at 03:39 PM
Old 10-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Elite Fan

There's no problem with Cate and Lux talking, I'm fine with that. The amount of personal conversations and the topics of conversations have been perfect so far. That's not what I'm saying, because like I said I have that kind of relationship with my mom too and it's a healthy one. It becomes a problem when kids are involved in things they shouldn't, kind of like being placed in the middle. IMO Cate did the right thing by not telling Lux or involving her in the end of Tuesdays episode. There should be boundaries set. It's not sheltering her child, instead it's acknowledging her problems shouldn't be her child's too. What's going on with Ryan and her shouldn't have to worry Lux. In that sense, I feel that Cate needs someone else to confide in.

Also, I've been listening to Dido today...and someone needs to make a Cate video to "Life for Rent". It seriously fits her character or at least what we've come to learn about her.

It could actually be a Cate & Lux video, but I feel like it applies to Cate as of right now.