Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
I still think Joel's character would have been best served in his priest capacity - I don't understand this need to have every character be a 'cookie cutter' version of another that has to have a romantic attachment regardless of any walk of life. Characters can still be interesting outside of romantic relationships. This was a sci-fi show for crying out loud, not some soap opera or teen drama.
Me too. And didn't SR pretty much strip Jack of his priest identity for nothing now? I mean, it's fairly obvious that he mainly did it because he wanted to have his beloved Jack/Erica romantic pairing and the whole "soldier" business was basically just a cover. So, if V had continued, what would Jack's future story even have looked like after ABC threw a spanner in the works? My guess is we would have seen the character develop further into a V-hating soldier and long some more for Erica. Once Erica would have met human guy number 4 and struck up a deeper connection with him, Jack's feelings for her would have slowly fizzled out. And to think that Jack was stripped of his unique and thought-provoking priest arc for such a one-dimensional and flat direction. How pathetic.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburgo1001 (View Post)
Me too. And didn't SR pretty much strip Jack of his priest identity for nothing now? I mean, it's fairly obvious that he mainly did it because he wanted to have his beloved Jack/Erica romantic pairing and the whole "soldier" business was basically just a cover. So, if V had continued, what would Jack's future story even have looked like after ABC threw a spanner in the works? My guess is we would have seen the character develop further into a V-hating soldier and long some more for Erica. Once Erica would have met human guy number 4 and struck up a deeper connection with him, Jack's feelings for her would have slowly fizzled out. And to think that Jack was stripped of his unique and thought-provoking priest arc for such a one-dimensional and flat direction. How pathetic.
I know. Considering the likely path you just constructed for how Jack's character arc, or lack thereof, would have digressed - at that rate, I would put Jack up on the 'SR auction block' as a likely candidate for meeting an early demise. Seriously, with that kind of storytelling, it would have been pointless to keep the character around. SR could have used him for another 'shocking', out of the blue, contrived death scene for a finale somewhere.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I know. Considering the likely path you just constructed for how Jack's character arc, or lack thereof, would have digressed - at that rate, I would put Jack up on the 'SR auction block' as a likely candidate for meeting an early demise. Seriously, with that kind of storytelling, it would have been pointless to keep the character around. SR could have used him for another 'shocking', out of the blue, contrived death scene for a finale somewhere.
A future Jack death wouldn't have surprised me either in light of recent revelations. Who knows, maybe he would have ended up sacrificing himself for Erica's future love interest.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
A future Jack death wouldn't have surprised me either in light of recent revelations. Who knows, maybe he would have ended up sacrificing himself for Erica's future love interest.
yeah, probably, that sounds like something that would be right up SR's alley. If he couldn't have his ERica/Jack relationship come full circle onscreen because of ABC, he probably would have made it very clear with Jack's death that Erica lost her one and only true love.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
yeah, probably, that sounds like something that would be right up SR's alley. If he couldn't have his ERica/Jack relationship come full circle onscreen because of ABC, he probably would have made it very clear with Jack's death that Erica lost her one and only true love.
Well, if SR would have followed such a scenario then I don't think Jack would have sacrificed himself for Erica's future love interest. He either would have ended up sacrificing himself for Erica or he would have died a completely random, tragic and unheroic death a la Tyler or Ryan. But now where would they have fit a potential Jack death in? Tyler died in the season 2 finale and I still think it's very very likely that Hobbes would have eventually bitten it as well, only that his death would have been a 'good riddance' type of death like poor Ryan's has been.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 09-12-2011 at 01:24 PM
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Well, if SR would have followed such a scenario then I don't think Jack would have sacrificed himself for Erica's future love interest. He either would have ended up sacrificing himself for Erica or he would have died a completely random, tragic and unheroic death a la Tyler or Ryan. But now where would they have fit a potential Jack death in? Tyler died in the season 2 finale and I still think it's very very likely that Hobbes would have eventually bitten it as well, only that his death would have been a 'good riddance' type of death like poor Ryan's has been.
well, my thinking would have been that he would have been trying for a lame and contrived 'Romeo and Juliet' type tragedy in such a scenario. It wouldn't matter whether it made any real sense or not. Erica may not have died, but then who knows, after seeing what I did - I can't even rule that out either, but I suspect that if ABC pulled the plug on the Jack/Erica route, SR would have continued to stick us with random/subtle scenes filled with innuendos of trying to convince us that they 'want to be together' but can't be together because of who/what Jack was/is. Either way, I think this would have culminated in both: a tragic, senseless death scene with him sacrificing himself for ERica, so that she could be with another.

As for the when/where/how - your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't expect the timing to make sense, I honestly feel like SR would have just thrown it at us whenever he felt like it. I do agree, Hobbes was likely going out and perhaps SR could have killed 'two birds with one stone' that way. Jack, the hero, takes out Hobbes and they both end up dying together in the process - leaving ERica with the acceptable 'love interest' for primetime TV.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
well, my thinking would have been that he would have been trying for a lame and contrived 'Romeo and Juliet' type tragedy in such a scenario. It wouldn't matter whether it made any real sense or not. Erica may not have died, but then who knows, after seeing what I did - I can't even rule that out either, but I suspect that if ABC pulled the plug on the Jack/Erica route, SR would have continued to stick us with random/subtle scenes filled with innuendos of trying to convince us that they 'want to be together' but can't be together because of who/what Jack was/is. Either way, I think this would have culminated in both: a tragic, senseless death scene with him sacrificing himself for ERica, so that she could be with another.
Yeah, I have no doubt that SR would have continued to throw more ambiguous Erica/Jack scenes into the plot line even if nothing would have ever come of it. He was simply too obsessed with the idea to let go of it completely. And what do you think? Was ABC also the reason why the season 1 scene where Jack told Erica that "he's been in love before" was cut and never made it to air? I kinda tend to think so.

Quote:
As for the when/where/how - your guess is as good as mine. I wouldn't expect the timing to make sense, I honestly feel like SR would have just thrown it at us whenever he felt like it. I do agree, Hobbes was likely going out and perhaps SR could have killed 'two birds with one stone' that way. Jack, the hero, takes out Hobbes and they both end up dying together in the process - leaving ERica with the acceptable 'love interest' for primetime TV.
Wow, I actually had the same idea. I think we either would have seen a scenario play out where Hobbes gets killed by dark!Erica or she ends up turning her back on him and successfully leaves him behind to die when he's stuck in a life-threatening situation or, like you suggested, Jack would have taken out Hobbes and died afterwards from his injuries. Considering that the third scenario would have been the soapiest and most pointless one of them all, that's probably the one we would have ended up with. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jack's heroic death would have then been used as the thing that "saves" Erica from her dark path and opens her up for whoever guy was supposed to come afterwards.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 09-15-2011 at 01:21 PM
Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, I have no doubt that SR would have continued to throw more ambiguous Erica/Jack scenes into the plot line even if nothing would have ever come of it. He was simply too obsessed with the idea to let go of it completely. And what do you think? Was ABC also the reason why the season 1 scene where Jack told Erica that "he's been in love before" was cut and never made it to air? I kinda tend to think so.
Oh sure. Makes me wonder why if ABC had the common sense to cut/axe that stuff - why didn't they use it to yet again, get a new showrunner?! Wishful thinking now, I know.

Quote:
Wow, I actually had the same idea. I think we either would have seen a scenario play out where Hobbes gets killed by dark!Erica or she ends up turning her back on him and successfully leaves him behind to die when he's stuck in a life-threatening situation or, like you suggested, Jack would have taken out Hobbes and died afterwards from his injuries. Considering that the third scenario would have been the soapiest and most pointless one of them all, that's probably the one we would have ended up with. I also wouldn't be surprised if Jack's heroic death would have then been used as the thing that "saves" Erica from her dark path and opens her up for whoever guy was supposed to come afterwards.
I definitely vote for the third scenario myself. It would be the most pointless and isolated away from the human/V conflict as you can get!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Oh sure. Makes me wonder why if ABC had the common sense to cut/axe that stuff - why didn't they use it to yet again, get a new showrunner?! Wishful thinking now, I know.
Because it would have made us happy.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Because it would have made us happy.
Damn them!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Elite Fan

The Playboy Club premiered last night and it sadly crashed and burned with a 1.6 in the A18-49 rating. That's very unfortunate for Joel.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Elite Fan

That sucks, poor Joel
Old 09-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Oh noo! I actually planned not to watch until Joel would appear, but umm...this is not great. I want him to make a bigger project that becomes more popular! He's such a good actor for me...
Old 09-21-2011, 05:41 AM
Elite Fan

The ratings will probably drop even further next week. I didn't intent to watch the show, but hopefully, NBC isn't going to pull it before Joel's episodes even make it to air.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 09-21-2011 at 07:01 AM
Old 09-21-2011, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was never interested in watching that show to begin with but I do feel bad for Joel's sake. I'm sure he could use the work and was looking forward to his new project.