Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin1977 (View Post)
Also Liz had an interview at some point where she was asked about being stranded on an island & the person she wanted to be with was not her husband. Can't remember who but may have been JJ Abrams or someone in the sci-fi world with similar stature. I don't think she meant it in a romantic way but it struck me as an odd answer. She also included her son, almost as an after thought. Don't know when that interview was conducted but think it was back in the Spring. But my guess is they were separated at time of the interview.
I remembered that quote but had to browse all her interviews since the end of last year because I couldn't remember where I saw it anymore. Turns out it was from Geek Magazine (the special issue with Revolution on the cover). Here's the quote again:

Quote:
3. Where would you hole up if something happened?

“On an island in Washington, somewhere you could live off the land.”

4. The one person you would take with you?

“Joss Whedon and my son, of course.”

Source
Tough to say when exactly this interview was taken, but I think it may have been at one of the following functions: The 2012 WB Mondo International Press Tour in December of last year or the 2013 Winter TCA's in January. The magazine features all the Revolution actors that were present for these 2 particular press events (EM, DL, BB, TS, GE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian (View Post)
Come on guys, is it me or...?

I find it weirder and weirder that there are all theses speculations left and right, on the "hot guy" at Asheville (for all we knew back then it could have been Chris himself), the Twit without her at New Year... yet nobody had ever mentioned these Wondercon pics yet.

Come on guys!
Quote:
Nobody think this is worth speculating, even only a little, too?

Someone gonna tell me I'm imagining things?
I actually remembered those pics again after we established a clearer timeline of events. Fact is that Elizabeth and Tim were seen quite often around the Wilmington area together. But I'm wondering would anybody call Tim a "hot guy"? I know everybody has different taste, but I find that kind of hard to believe. Guys like DL, JDP or BB seem to be more fitting (JDP doesn't wow me and BB does nothing for me but I know a lot of people find them hot) of that description. But for all we know, it could have also been some random guy that she met one day at a Starbucks in Wilmington or Charlotte or a hot-looking, platonic friend from way back when.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 08-21-2013 at 12:13 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Well, yeah I agree actually, this doesn't have to mean anything. But then compared to that I find weird to speculate about a laconic, "she was with a hot guy". She could have even went with him, while still staying platonic, I wouldn't have find that anormal.
And yeah touchy-feely and all that, but I don't remember on that level. Moreso when one think that there could have been problems before. It's like sending a message, is what I had think, but I could be wrong.
We don't have all the same perceptions about things, or maybe I just suck at understand relationships.
You're right, everyone does have different perceptions & "perception is reality" so there are many realities. my perception of her relationship with Tim is one of friends & platonic. That's just the vibe I get. Those pics were at an event at a photo op but who knows maybe there was something more there.

You're also right that the sighting in Asheville could have been platonic. I recently went on a weekend trip with a married friend of the opposite sex & our friendship is platonic so the benefit of the doubt could be extended to EM. I guess what causes the speculation is the other stuff surrounding this along with the subsequent end of their marriage.

You don't suck at understanding relationships. The truth is only Chris & Liz know exactly what happened (& whomever they shared info with) & the rest is merely speculation. On my part, I should be spending my time doing other things instead of wondering about this. For me, I am a fan of EM but I tend to share Chris' expectations about being "faithful." It is a mystery to me why someone who is as sweet & kind as she has been reported & who has the aura of friendliness that she has, would also seemingly disregard the perspective her spouse has on this expectation. I've seen people post on twitter that she is "perfect." But really she is human & has flaws like everyone else.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Elite Fan

it actually would make a lot of sense if Liz and Chris separated around December, because from the way Chris said it in the twitter announcement it did seem like they had been divorced for a bit.

What i thought was interesting was that Chris started taking more acting roles around early/mid this year, which struck me as strange considering his focus on teaching, and i was wondering if this was just a coincidence or if it could have had something to do with the split? Not that Chris isn't capable of just deciding that he wants to do more acting but i just thought it as weird that it kind of lines up... I might be reading too much into things here though

Quote:
Nobody think this is worth speculating, even only a little, too?

Someone gonna tell me I'm imagining things?
I doubt there is much to that picture, considering that Tim is her onscreen husband and they are actors after all, also if there was anything to it I doubt Liz would've made it so public, but who knows
Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I doubt there is much to that picture, considering that Tim is her onscreen husband and they are actors after all,
Well, it contrasts with their characters who are really cold to each others. I mean, nobody here is shipping Benel or something? Also, I was not so telling, "it must mean they have probably an affair", but moreso, "well i can kiss him if I want, I'm free, we're cool." But yeah maybe she is just cool all the time then it's all good.

Quote:
also if there was anything to it I doubt Liz would've made it so public, but who knows
Well if their objective was to "hide in plain sight", they would have succeeded.

Quote:
For me, I am a fan of EM but I tend to share Chris' expectations about being "faithful." It is a mystery to me why someone who is as sweet & kind as she has been reported & who has the aura of friendliness that she has, would also seemingly disregard the perspective her spouse has on this expectation. I've seen people post on twitter that she is "perfect." But really she is human & has flaws like everyone else.
Yeah well, I'm more of the libertarian kind so I think that as long as you don't do something with the clear intention to hurt someone, you're not at fault, it's your life after all. Also I don't want to insinuate anything but remember that Liz is the most exposed here.

Quote:
I actually remembered those pics again after we established a clearer timeline of events. Fact is that Elizabeth and Tim were seen quite often around the Wilmington area together. But I'm wondering would anybody call Tim a "hot guy"? I know everybody has different taste, but I find that kind of hard to believe. Guys like DL, JDP or BB seem to be more fitting (JDP doesn't wow me and BB does nothing for me but I know a lot of people find them hot) of that description. But for all we know, it could have also been some random guy that she met one day at a Starbucks in Wilmington or even Charlotte.
Yeah again, I think that's reading too much into a simple quote. Maybe this "hot guy" just happened to be particularly charming to the person who said the quote. She or he was not gonna say, "she was with an ugly old guy", or, "she was with a rather average looking fellow".

Ok, I'm gonna stop pulling legs, and I'm gonna take the opportunity to say that, yeah, we can speculate about the time of their separation, but in the end, really we'll always know next to nothing about their true lives. Though like most of you i was feeling it looming I was shocked and sad when I learned it. But I gotta say I was also feeling kind of relieved, because I think it's better and saner to stand upfront and honest about the dolorous fact that a relationship don't work, than that forcing each other selves to make a relationship works against odds and becoming bitter with time. Moreso with children involved, I think this honesty is better for them.
Now all I hope is that they can stay in good terms.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckin1977 (View Post)
I've seen people post on twitter that she is "perfect." But really she is human & has flaws like everyone else.
I agree. To be honest, I cringe whenever I see a celebrity (any celebrity!) put on a pedestal like that by fans. We think we may know these people and yes, we may get a decent impression of what they may be like through interviews or fan encounters, but the truth is that we don't. Or at least not really. We only know what they choose to let us see.

Everyone has flaws and there is always a catch, especially with people working in the entertainment industry. Many of them are deep into drugs and alcohol. Others are abusive. Some are so far removed from reality that they treat everyone around them like something's stuck under their shoe and a lot of them are serial cheaters. It's just that some people can hide their flaws better than others.

Quote:
What i thought was interesting was that Chris started taking more acting roles around early/mid this year, which struck me as strange considering his focus on teaching, and i was wondering if this was just a coincidence or if it could have had something to do with the split? Not that Chris isn't capable of just deciding that he wants to do more acting but i just thought it as weird that it kind of lines up... I might be reading too much into things here though.
I always had the impression that Chris kind of sacrificed his own ambition of an acting career to support Liz in her endeavors, so it makes sense to me that he started to pursue his own passion more once they split up for good.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Yeah well, I'm more of the libertarian kind so I think that as long as you don't do something with the clear intention to hurt someone, you're not at fault, it's your life after all. Also I don't want to insinuate anything but remember that Liz is the most exposed here.
My guess is Chris has a different perspective than you do about "not at fault. " I tend to be a live & let live type, too. But I also believe if you enter into a marriage there is an expectation of fidelity unless there is agreement otherwise. Chris was very specific about calling himself a "faithful and dedicated family man" so it isn't too difficult to see what his expectations were. Is it possible he painted himself in this manner, deceptively (meaning maybe he has his own indiscretions not "exposed")? Of course it is possible but doesn't seem to fit his character -at least that which is known of him.

Ultimately, there is the breakup of partners both of whom, by all accounts, are very nice genuine people. Maybe one or both were not getting what they needed out of the relationship & the decision was to move on (which I agree is the best interest for all parties). It is nature to speculate (whether or not we should) & right now I think Liz fans want to understand the timeline but also try to understand why. Not saying that anyone is owed an explanation but it is human nature to speculate. From my perspective, things point to indiscretion on Liz's part but there likely is more than meets the eye.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM
New Fan

Quote:
I agree. To be honest, I cringe whenever I see a celebrity (any celebrity!) put on a pedestal like that by fans. We think we may know these people and yes, we may get a decent impression of what they may be like through interviews or fan encounters, but the truth is that we don't. Or at least not really. We only know what they choose to let us see.

Everyone has flaws and there is always a catch, especially with people working in the entertainment industry. Many of them are deep into drugs and alcohol. Others are abusive. Some are so far removed from reality that they treat everyone around them like something's stuck under their shoe and a lot of them are serial cheaters. It's just that some people can hide their flaws better than others.
Yeah but maybe they're just saying that they're finding her perfect at what she does in public, as an actress. And really that can be extended to all kinds of relationships. You really never know everything about anyone, as close to you as they can be. We all could be atrocious people under a disguise of sympathy. Yet you're not gonna turn mega-suspicious about everyone because you'll go all crazy. Life in society requiert to make a little leap of faith about the nature of others. As naive as it sound I would much prefer love to win against hate in society. Yeah Liz never revealed to anyone that she likes raping puppies but that's because nobody had ever asked her that yet, is all.

Quote:
My guess is Chris has a different perspective than you do about "not at fault. " I tend to be a live & let live type, too. But I also believe if you enter into a marriage there is an expectation of fidelity unless there is agreement otherwise. Chris was very specific about calling himself a "faithful and dedicated family man" so it isn't too difficult to see what his expectations were. Is it possible he painted himself in this manner, deceptively (meaning maybe he has his own indiscretions not "exposed")? Of course it is possible but doesn't seem to fit his character -at least that which is known of him.

Ultimately, there is the breakup of partners both of whom, by all accounts, are very nice genuine people. Maybe one or both were not getting what they needed out of the relationship & the decision was to move on (which I agree is the best interest for all parties). It is nature to speculate (whether or not we should) & right now I think Liz fans want to understand the timeline but also try to understand why. Not saying that anyone is owed an explanation but it is human nature to speculate. From my perspective, things point to indiscretion on Liz's part but there likely is more than meets the eye.
Well that's why I don't like marriage, rather the notion of it. What I want to say is, like it requiert two civilized humanoids to make a relationship, it requiert the same two civilized humanoids to break it. A relationship is far to be summarizable by "fidelity to each other". I think it would be naive to think that marriage allows you to expect anything from your partner, like an assurance. That's not the idea that I have of an healthy relationship. If you want your partner to stay faithful, well it should be your job to give her or him the will to stay faithful. Otherwise it's your fault, or it was just impossible with this person and you didn't know her or him so well after all. Well things like that can happen easily in life. You don't just marry one day and that's it for life. You have to marry everyday, everytime, and if one day you can't do it anymore well it just have to end.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

Well, obviously everyone has the right to their own opinion on life and relationships and I respect that, but I do not agree that a person is to blame when their significant other cheats on them. No matter what the problems were in the relationship prior to the indiscretion, no one held a gun to the cheater's head and made them do it. They made the conscious decision to cheat and they are responsible for their own actions. If there are problems in the marriage/relationship, there are other ways to handle them. You can talk to your partner about the problems and choose to try couples therapy or you can get out of the relationship. Cheating is the selfish and cowardly way out and it creates a world full of hurt for the person that's on the receiving end of it. Just my 2 cents on relationships and cheating in general.

Quote:
Yeah but maybe they're just saying that they're finding her perfect at what she does in public, as an actress. And really that can be extended to all kinds of relationships. You really never know everything about anyone, as close to you as they can be. We all could be atrocious people under a disguise of sympathy. Yet you're not gonna turn mega-suspicious about everyone because you'll go all crazy. Life in society requiert to make a little leap of faith about the nature of others. As naive as it sound I would much prefer love to win against hate in society. Yeah Liz never revealed to anyone that she likes raping puppies but that's because nobody had ever asked her that yet, is all.
Of course, but I was specifically talking about people in the entertainment industry. And I'm not saying that everyone in the industry is a monster or that you can't take a liking to anybody. Of course you can, but it should comes with reasonable expectations IMO. I think it's problematic to put celebs on a pedestal because it's impossible to live up to it. Sure, there are indeed some genuinely great people in Hollywood whose only flaw it is that they are bad in the kitchen or don't know how to use the washing machine, but the sad reality is that most celebs are really screwed up in one way or another. Personally, I think there is just something about the industry in general that encourages bad behaviour. Like drug addiction is being facilitated because things like cocaine are being passed around like candy at high society parties, on film sets, behind the scenes at concerts or during recording sessions in recording studios. Infidelity is being encouraged because of the casting coach phenomenon etc.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 08-21-2013 at 09:16 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

What Balian said about marriage is true. It does take two hands to clap and make a marriage work, but I also agree with Hamburgo that the matter of cheating is a choice, assuming it did happen in this case. It's human to fail others, but it's also a conscious choice that the individual makes.

I’ll be one of those to admit to having placed Liz Mitchell on a pedestal, partly because she came across as so different from other actresses. I never believed she was perfect, but maybe subconsciously, I never thought she could do anything majorly wrong, which is subjective. Reiterating a lot of what you guys have stated, I think it’s a human tendency to want to have this role model to look up to and idolize and be “this is who I want to be like when I grow up”. Isn’t that the image that Hollywood tries to attain, a place of perfect people with good looks to create the halo effect so others can strive to copy them? I guess the inclination to want to imitate parents as kids don’t really go away because sometimes, I still do and forget that these people all merely human and prone to making mistakes like the rest of us.

I’ll be honest and say that as a fan, I have a tad bit of trouble swallowing this news of Liz because Chris does seem to be a good guy, and from what has been seen in public, he has supported her throughout her career in many of her endeavors. It’s a good wake-up call for me. Everyone is entitled to making mistakes in life.

I’m still a Liz fan and hope the three of them are still on good terms. If not, perhaps one day it’ll happen. Nevertheless, Liz still astounds me with the quality of her work, her loveable personality, and the bits of wisdom that she throws out in her interviews.

Well, it feels good to get that off my chest. You can probably tell I have issues with this.

Last edited by Heiots; 08-21-2013 at 06:05 PM
Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiots (View Post)
I’ll be one of those to admit to having placed Liz Mitchell on a pedestal, partly because she came across as so different from other actresses. I never believed she was perfect, but maybe subconsciously, I never thought she could do anything majorly wrong, which is subjective. Reiterating a lot of what you guys have stated, I think it’s a human tendency to want to have this role model to look up to and idolize and be “this is who I want to be like when I grow up”. Isn’t that the image that Hollywood tries to attain, a place of perfect people with good looks to create the halo effect so others can strive to copy them? I guess the inclination to want to imitate parents as kids don’t really go away because sometimes, I still do and forget that these people all merely human and prone to making mistakes like the rest of us.
That is exactly the kind of image that Hollywood is trying to create. They are using the allure of glamour to make $$$, but so much of what you see is fake. It starts with the airbrushing of pictures where people are made out to look 10x better than they do in reality. Then there are the fake personalities/images created by crafty business managers to appeal to certain demographics (e.g. Britney Spears and the whole "I want to stay a virgin until I am married" debacle when she had already lost it at the age of 14) or the PR-relationships that are set up between actors or singers to sell a specific product or hide a person's true sexuality. Hollywood also has a serious problem with pedophilia, but they do not want you to find that out so it gets brushed under the carpet.

Last edited by Hamburgo1001; 08-25-2013 at 05:29 PM
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Well, obviously everyone has the right to their own opinion on life and relationships and I respect that, but I do not agree that a person is to blame when their significant other cheats on them. No matter what the problems were in the relationship prior to the indiscretion, no one held a gun to the cheater's head and made them do it. They made the conscious decision to cheat and they are responsible for their own actions. If there are problems in the marriage/relationship, there are other ways to handle them. You can talk to your partner about the problems and choose to try couples therapy or you can get out of the relationship. Cheating is the selfish and cowardly way out and it creates a world full of hurt for the person that's on the receiving end of it. Just my 2 cents on relationships and cheating in general.
I don't wanted to say that the other person is to blame if one cheat, actually if a relationship don't work most probably the two are more or less equally to blame. More accurately that's not even a question of blame, it's a sad alea of life really. It is a very complicated thing that can't be summarized by "one happened to cheat the other". I wanted to say that if you just expected the other to stay faithful to you just because just she was supposed to, then you're at fault to have a bad surprise later. But then the other is equally responsible for thinking that the relationship could work. She or he just realised it sooner and acted sooner is the difference. Nobody can't be blamed to choose his own path in life, as long as nothing is done with the intention to hurt someone. And sadly it's not anormal for people to act maladroitly in bad situations. You call that selfish and cowardly, but I could reverse it and say that if a relationship becomes an affair of charity and courage there is problems.
Also the other problem with marriage is that it put a social pressure on a relationship. It attempt to inser it in a rigid institutionnal mold (hey, sorry for my atrocious use of broken english). You can still forcing you to hold to the notion of marriage, while the relationship is in all facts broken. It's just becoming a weird sketch. To cheat a relationship there need to be still a relationship in the first place, marriage is something else, but for some people that is still the most important thing. Really we know nothing of how things turned out.
Now of course the real pressure on relationships is that they should take care of their childrens. But actually that is an entirely other problem altogether, cheating your husband don't makes you a bad mother, immersing your kid in whatever your relationship problems are do. A married couple and a couple of parents are two different things.

Also I want to repeat, because I read things like, I had a good wake-up call about her, that Liz is the most exposed here, by that I don't wanted to insinuate that her husband did wrong, but as she is the most exposed we tend to scrutinize and interpret their relationship by the viewpoint of her public life, when in reality we know nothing of their relationship.
Simple example. He has been publicly seen to support her carreer. Well it's all good. Now what if she supported him well in his professionnal life too? We don't talk about it because his life is way less exposed. We see him as the husband of Liz mostly. And I don't insinuate that either did wrong here.

Quote:
Of course, but I was specifically talking about people in the entertainment industry. And I'm not saying that everyone in the industry is a monster or that you can't take a liking to anybody. Of course you can, but it should comes with reasonable expectations IMO. I think it's problematic to put celebs on a pedestal because it's impossible to live up to it. Sure, there are indeed some genuinely great people in Hollywood whose only flaw it is that they are bad in the kitchen or don't know how to use the washing machine, but the sad reality is that most celebs are really screwed up in one way or another. Personally, I think there is just something about the industry in general that encourages bad behaviour. Like drug addiction is being facilitated because things like cocaine are being passed around like candy at high society parties, on film sets, behind the scenes at concerts or during recording sessions in recording studios. Infidelity is being encouraged because of the casting coach phenomenon etc.
Well, actually I don't know what we're precisely talking about with "some people on twitter say she's perfect." I don't know, I hope we're not talking about people who pretend that "she's a perfect mother", and would blindly entrust their kids to her, or that "she's a perfect wife" and would force their spouse to behave like her, or "she's the messiah, we should do everything she's gonna tell us to do, she's gonna end hunger in the world" (well, maybe people actually see George Clooney or Angelina Jolie like that, I don't know). Really she's just a TV and movie actress who does her job, answers kindly to interviews, the most she has done to directly influence peoples lives is give one or two times some vague advices on acting carreer and beauty products. I don't know about other celebrities but she doesn't strikes me as one who would gather around herself some sort of insane cult. Also I would have think that the whole point of forums like this one was precisely to put celebrities on a piedestal, just as an inoffensive hobby. There are way more insane things in the world, without going too far fanatism to sport teams is a good example.

I don't know if what you're saying about Hollywood is true, but I dare to think things like that happens in all parts of society really, it is just more shoking coming from Hollywood because it appears more glamour. I agree that Hollywood is projecting a fake picture but it works both ways, people magazines thrive by revealing, exaggerating and flat-out making up scandals.
Also we were talking about suspicions of cheating, from that to be honest I don't know how you're going to drugs, abuse, and stuff.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I don't wanted to say that the other person is to blame if one cheat, actually if a relationship don't work most probably the two are more or less equally to blame.
I'm not particularly well-versed in this area of life because I've not much experience here, but I was brought up to believe that marriage is a commitment. Sometimes in life, partners grow distant. You make one choice after another, and all of a sudden, you look around and ask how you got to this point in the first place. However, I don't think I would say they share equal responsibility in the splitting of a marriage if one is willing to try hard to keep it together and another is not (and I'm just saying in general, not this particular marriage) It's near 4AM here, so I'm hope I'm understanding you right. It really is more grey than black-and-white, as with many things in life. There're a lot of things that factor in when making choices than a simple "that's right" or "that's wrong". Only, I can't see why one party is equally responsible with the one who cheats just for thinking their relationship can work. I don't know. If I can't expect my partner to stay faithful to me, then perhaps marriage isn't meant for the both of us, but that's just my belief of marriage. In no way do I wish to impose my view on marriage on anyone, but seeing as how we're discussing this, I see no harm in sharing. If one day, I get married, yes, I do expect my partner to be faithful to me. It's a commitment, and I think it takes effort to make it work. I don't know what sort of marriage Chris and Liz had, but again, it's none of my business.

Quote:
Also I want to repeat, because I read things like, I had a good wake-up call about her, that Liz is the most exposed here, by that I don't wanted to insinuate that her husband did wrong, but as she is the most exposed we tend to scrutinize and interpret their relationship by the viewpoint of her public life, when in reality we know nothing of their relationship.
Simple example. He has been publicly seen to support her carreer. Well it's all good. Now what if she supported him well in his professionnal life too? We don't talk about it because his life is way less exposed. We see him as the husband of Liz mostly. And I don't insinuate that either did wrong here.
When I said "this news of Liz" and the wake-up call, I was referring to the entire situation in general - Liz getting separated from her husband, and that she's not infallible. I apologize if that never did come across clear enough. This comes from my view that marriage was meant to last. True, on the surface, it does seem like Chris has been very supportive, and I believe, at least from what we've seen, Liz has supported him as well. I wrote to say that Chris, at least publicly, has come across as a good husband, but you're right, we know next to nothing about their relationship. Marriage does go deeper than just performing the right actions.

Quote:
Also we were talking about suspicions of cheating, from that to be honest I don't know how you're going to drugs, abuse, and stuff.
Tangent-ing.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:53 PM
New Fan

I'm just gonna take one time to say that I realize too that each one has his own convictions, I'm just saying what I'm thinking bluntly so each one just take it or let it like he or she want to.

I'm sorry, I basically quoted you but I don't wanted to target you particularly. But still, the whole problem for me is linking things like, "Liz getting separated from her husband", and "she's not infallible", while we don't even know why they're separating, maybe they just naturally reached a point in life there it was just better for them to split. That doesn't mean that they were wrong to get together in the first place, things just evolve in life in ways we can't anticipate, marriage is just a commitment you made one day. Here in France, our president is not even married to his partner, the precedent had kids with several wives and even remarried during his term, we don't judge them on that, we just don't care about these things, a Monica-gate here would just make us laugh. (or at least as I know of.) Failing a marriage doesn't make you a shameful human being, it is an increasingly banal thing in modern life.
You're saying that it is more grey than white and black, I would go further and say that it is not a thing that you can scale by just comparing known facts with each other, really that's a story that can only make sense to the two of them, there is no one else to judge. Well like always, as long as nothing has been made with the intention to hurt.
Well, I don't like the idea of commitment in a relationship, you should be with someone because you actually want to do it, no because you're commited to it, what an ugly and unromantic word seriously. Your partner shouldn't owe you anything, she or he is with you because she or he want it to. Of course I realize that it is hurtful to be cheated, but one must realize that it is a risk that anyone must endure when entering a relationship, fidelity ensured by marriage is an utopia. Ideally one would break before going somewhere else but in practice it is frequent that one had to actually see somewhere else before realizing that the relationship can't work anymore. You don't choose when and how you fall in love with someone, you don't choose either when and how you fall out of love.
The only commitment should be to ones kids, commited to give them a good parental environnment. You can fail that while totally succeeding in your marriage, it is less visible, but it is here a real offense, and the reverse is a real achievement that takes efforts.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

I do get what you're coming from. I think you hail from a place where splitting is probably not a big deal, that people shouldn't stay together in a marriage if they're unhappy together. Marriage is for a long time, and people do change. Where I'm from, however, and the way I was brought up, I've been taught that marriage is lifelong commitment. My parents went through a hell of a time, and there were even suicidal attempts and threats of divorce. They stayed together though, and things are wonderful now. As a child, as their child specifically, I appreciate that they chose to work things out because they saved me from a whole world of hurt.

So...no, I don't believe failing a marriage makes one a shameful human being, but I believe the ideal marriage in the traditional view is to stay together for life. Nobody really gets married believing they will split as they say their vows. You can probably call me delusional or a hopeless romantic, but I still have hope in this one true love.

Quote:
Well, I don't like the idea of commitment in a relationship, you should be with someone because you actually want to do it, no because you're commited to it, what an ugly and unromantic word seriously.
Well, I guess here's where we have to agree to disagree. Sometimes, the feelings aren't there. Feelings are fickle. It's true, you should be with someone because you want to, but sometimes, the view gets a little foggy, and you can't see clearly what's before you. Maybe you've had a couple of bad days, you yell at your partner and think he or she doesn't understand you anymore, but how would you know you can't work through that hurdle? Commitment isn't easy because it means you have to stick with it no matter how you feel. Yeah, it probably doesn't sound all that romantic. I'm still learning about it, but for now, I appreciate it for what it is.

Eh...I think I've said all I should about this topic, considering the fact that I've never been married. We may have different ideas on how a marriage to be, but it was interesting hearing you air your view. By the way, hello! I visited France last year on a Music History trip. It's a beautiful place!

Bottom line, really, I just hope the best for all three of them and that they're happy. Like all of you have stated, we don't know all the facts. It all is just speculation. If I could, I'd be sending all of them virtual bear hugs, and Liz is still a bundle of adorable cuteness.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Heiots; 08-22-2013 at 05:33 PM
Old 08-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Elite Fan

I think Balian and I have a very different point of view on commitment in relationships and that's okay. But Balian, reading that you are French has made it a bit easier for me to understand where you are coming from because France is widely regarded as the country with the most liberal views on relationships, marriage, etc in general. We would probably never see eye-to-eye on this issue, but it's still always interesting to get to know different mind-sets and convictions.

Quote:
We know she did. I remember that she used to work as a kind of guest mentor at his acting school. Whatever the issues in their marriage were, this wasn't one of them.