Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Michael's Books Appreciation #1 - From his mind to paper, and from paper straight into our hearts

Michael Jackson's Books Appreciaton

"Moonwalk" is the only book about his life that Michael Jackson ever wrote. It chronicles his humble beginnings in the Midwest, his early days with the Jackson 5, and his unprecedented solo success. Giving absolutely unrivalled insight into the King of Pop's life, it details his songwriting process for hits like "Beat It", "Rock With You", "Billie Jean", and "We Are the World"; describes how he developed his signature dance style, including the Moon Walk; and, opens the door to his very private personal relationships with his family, including sister Janet, and stars like Diana Ross, Berry Gordy, Marlon Brando, Quincy Jones, Paul McCartney, and Brooke Shields. At the time of its original publication in 1988, "Moonwalk" broke the fiercely guarded barrier of silence that surrounded Michael Jackson. Candidly and courageously, Jackson talks openly about his wholly exceptional career and the crushing isolation of his fame, as well as the unfair rumors that have surrounded it. "Moonwalk" is illustrated with rare photographs from Jackson family albums and Michael's personal photographic archives, as well as a drawing done by Michael exclusively for the book. It reveals and celebrates, as no other book can, the life of this exceptional and beloved musician.

'People ask me how I make music. I tell them I just step into it. It's like stepping into a river and joining the flow. Every moment in the river has its song. So, I stay in the moment and listen' - Michael Jackson.

"Dancing the Dream" is one man's hauntingly beautiful, provocatively personal view of the world around us, and the universe within each of us. Whether his prose and poetry focused on creativity, the people that surrounded him, or the plight of the noble elephant, his observations and concerns all illustrated his belief that trust, love and faith are the foundation stones for a life well lived. Containing Michael Jackson's personal writings and over one hundred glorious photographs, drawings, and paintings from his own collection, this book is a must have for all fans of an incredible, inspiring man who died as he lived - dancing his dream.

Who here has read these incredible books? What were your favourite parts? Discuss
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 AM
Elite Fan

I haven't read the books, but I'm definitely going to in the future. I want them so bad and they are written by Michael and not some other person..That makes it even better to read.. I don't like reading stuff about him that's written from another person.. J Tamborelli's book may be good because he actually sat down and talked with him, didn't he?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Friends

Good thread idea Val

It's so great that he actually wrote a book himself about his life I always wanted to read it since I learned about it (which wasn't that long ago, few years ago I think) but I could never find it here, of course now it's out again and we can find it in store here but I still didn't take the time to read it though But I will definitely come back here when I do, I'm sure it's good and MJ is always great with words

Whitney Houston

Greatest Voice Of All
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Honestly, I haven't bothered to read any other books either, because I don't trust other authors to get it right at all. Yes, Taraborrelli did sit down with him and went over a lot of facts with him, but then again, so did Bashir and we all know how that turned out and how he twisted it into his own beliefs

I'll probably read it at some point though, just because I don't think I'll ever get tired of wanting to get my hands on anything Michael related. But wasn't that the book that insinuated that Michael was gay?

Mel - I reeeally recommend it Dancing the Dream too because it's just beautiful, but Moonwalk gives SUCH an insight into his life, it's so good to really 'hear' it all in his voice - his humour and kindness shine through the entire book and it also shines a great light on some of the facts, and explains a lot of misconceptions. I only read it recently myself, but I couldn't put it down and finished it in one day
Old 09-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Elite Fan

That is true, Val.. I just like sticking to Michael's books because it came from him. I can just get soaked up in his words and I really listened to what he has to say because I can really relate to him.. Not with the fame and stuff, but with how people treats him and such. I guess that's why I was so drawn to him and his music in the first place.. I sensed an innocence about him and how he just wanted the best for everyone.

I was watching the old Barbara Walters interview and he was talking about Princess Di's death and how he had a feeling that more were coming and it was Mother Theresa.. Barbara Walters then asked Michael was he psychic and he said that "I don't want to say it, but I've done it before." In that moment, I have never related to a person as I did with him in that moment. The same thing happens to me. It's not really a psychic thing, but just a feeling that a person has and it just so happens happen. In that moment, I felt like I related to him because I know how it feels to have those types of weird feelings and you're connected to a sixth sense sort of thing. It just happens on a spur of the moment. You can't plan it, it's like that message is given to you and you don't know what to do with it.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Friends

Yeah Val, I am sure it's great I can't wait to read it

Quote:
Originally Posted by speak slow (View Post)
Honestly, I haven't bothered to read any other books either, because I don't trust other authors to get it right at all.
I agree, I just never wanted to read any books about MJ actually because I know most of them are probably saying stupid stuff that will annoyed me no matter how much they looked into his life, did research and all that, they just don't know him and go into stuff that could hurt him or things that they think is true when it's not etc.. That's why I'm so glad Michael did write a book telling his story and what he wanted to say, what he wanted to share with us, him I can trust. Plus like I said I know he's good at writting beautiful things so if he's explaining why he likes to sing/dance/perform etc or just stuff that he's been through, I'm sure he did it in a great and touching way in that book

Whitney Houston

Greatest Voice Of All
Old 09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread Val!

I haven't read the books I started reading Moonwalk, but I only have it on my comp and I can never continue

I love you more!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww Luka I only have it as an ebook too, because it'll only be re-released here in October. I have already pre-ordered it though I'm not a huge fan of reading e-books either, but with this it was okay. I didn't even notice, one moment I started it, and the next it was suddenly hours later and I had finished it

Here's some news, not sure how reliable it is but I'm hearing Essence is actually a legit source?

Quote:
9/14/09: ESSENCE.com has learned exclusively that a novel written by the "King of Pop" himself is currently being shopped around to New York publishers, according to a source in the industry.

The illustrated novel depicts a rock star at the height of his success who becomes disillusioned with money and fame and obsesses about death.

According to the source, the book mirrors Michael Jackson's own rise to superstardom and self-imposed seclusion, reflecting an inner torment and struggle with personal demons.

Working with a collaborator, the source confirmed, Jackson conceptualized the story line, characters and even the illustrations.

Source.
I'm hoping against hope that this is true I would LOVE to read it, it sounds very interesting, if heartbreaking too. And illustrations by Michael!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Elite Fan

I am definitely interested in reading that. I'm going to eventually read all of his books..
Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

Val - I don't trust other authors either. I just feel that a lot of them are exploitative with some of the things they say. And a lot of them are over-sensational too. As in, they report things that aren't necessarily true or over-exaggerated. And of course, they're just trying to make money off of deals. I just prefer to read what Michael has to say.

That being said, both books are beautiful, from what I've read. I haven't actually gotten to finish either one, but I've gotten pretty far in each of them. Also, it's been quite a while since I last got the chance to read them. I can't find our copies I heard Moonwalk is being sold somewhere What about Dancing the Dream?

And thanks for the thread Val Great idea!

[ Sasha MJ
-I l o v e y o u m o r e. ]
Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not sure about how it is in the US, but I know Moonwalk is being re-released here in Europe in October I'm very glad about that because right now, it's not to be found ANYWHERE, well, except if you are willing to pay a small fortune for it on Ebay or something like that...

Dancing the Dream was recently re-released here, I bought it while I was in London last month and they were literally selling it everywhere over there. I've heard that it is very hard to find in the US though, but I also read that they were planning on re-releasing it there sometime, too

I can't speak for Moonwalk because I haven't been able to hold a physical copy in my hands yet, but as for Dancing the Dream - if you have the chance to get it, GET IT!! It is so worth it, the book itself is beautiful of course but it is also filled to the brim with absolutely stunning photos, some I hadn't seen before either, just gorgeous
Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Elite Fan

I've definitely seen the photos, all gorgeous If I wasn't completely broke, I'd buy them from Ebay

Lucky you Val And thanks for the info Hopefully, they'll release it here too! I swear I read somewhere that they were, but maybe I read it wrong.

[ Sasha MJ
-I l o v e y o u m o r e. ]
Old 09-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just checked and Moonwalk is also being re-released in the US on October 13th I couldn't find anything about Dancing the Dream, though
Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all the information guys on the books.. I'm very interested in reading both of them..
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Aww Luka I only have it as an ebook too, because it'll only be re-released here in October. I have already pre-ordered it though I'm not a huge fan of reading e-books either, but with this it was okay. I didn't even notice, one moment I started it, and the next it was suddenly hours later and I had finished it
I don't like reading books online, cause I get too distracted when I'm on and always forget to read them I shal give it another try though

I love you more!