Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2020, 08:48 PM
Master Fan

Yes shocking sudden death, and a lot of people went with them. And of course it rocked the basketball world, he was the hero of so many young/current players. But I sort of think it's enough already, he wasn't Princess Diana. But very very sad, especially the young girl and her friends.

Lumosity.com it's a website with very good brain fitness games. My brother and his wife do brain fitness with the elderly as a business and they sent me their program and it was soooo slooow it drove me crazy - more geared for very elderly people/my Dad's generation, I think. Tom and I do crossword puzzles like crazy, plus he's very good at Sudoku (I can only do the easy/medium ones of those).

Speaking of my (late) Dad, his cousin Sylvia just passed away this week, also at 94. We're going to the shiva and memorial this weekend. My Uncle Fred isn't coming, says he's too old (he's 93, but I think it's because his wife's memory is going/gone and he doesn't want to bring her).

WELL, after a year of being convinced Mr ML's annoying cough was due to reflux (his 'diagnosis' based on nothing) and treating it for a year and trying this and that medication and diet - turns out when he got his tooth implants back in April - the oral surgeon stuck a screw in too far/up into the bottom of his sinus. The tooth started bothering him recently and was loose - because it probably has been infected for a long time (and irritating/sticking into his sinus, causing post nasal drip etc like nobody's business). And coughing that wouldn't go away.

So he's been treating the wrong thing/barking up the wrong tree for nearly a year. In the meanwhile, he still went for the chest CT today at MGH, to check out his lungs (he also has mucked about with asbestos around the house in the past). But the dentist x-rayed him, sent him to the oral surgeon, who took out the implant tooth and the post, and stitched it up and is treated him with antibiotics etc. I'm not sure how they fix one's sinus when it gets a hole, but I bet it's not pleasant. Although bones heal up, when people break them. I don't know. But On the bright side, maybe his cough will subside - unless it's also being caused by the new BP med he started.

I'm still coughing from my cold from 2 weeks ago - but not as much/often.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-01-2020, 07:52 AM
Total Fan

ML..........what an ordeal your hubby suffered with all of that time, all due to the dentist problem. I'm glad he finally discovered the cause. What will they do about the sinus problem?
Sorry you still have your cough.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:47 PM
Elite Fan

MyrnaLynne sorry about what your husband had to/is going through.

Hope you lovely ladies are well
Old 02-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

older fans as in agewise?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

Yep, we're old gals! LOL! wicked, although also fans for over 20 years at this point!

Thanks for the sympathy. He's still coughing, so I think his doctor probably should change his BP med too, just in case (some types can give people a cough). But he's SO darn stubborn.

He got the CT scan Friday. Waiting to hear the results (worry). He's losing weight too (again) but for the same reason - skipping meals! He gets up and goes to the gym and burns a bazillion calories, but he doesn't like to eat breakfast before he goes, so he's eating breakfast at lunch, etc. Like when he was working nights, but didn't like to eat at night. Have to watch these guys like hawks. He's not a 'live to eat' person, he just eats to live. Losing weight/forgetting a meal has never been one of my problems.

We went to the memorial thing for my Dad's cousin who passed away this week (at age 94, like my Dad). She was quite an unusual, brilliant, eccentric, accomplished woman. I think she invented multitasking (and was severely ADHD). Her four kids put on a nice time for her at the assisted living (although the room was too small and there weren't enough chairs - ahem). She seemed sort of like Auntie Mame from that movie (only maybe not as charming). My parents moved away from their town when I was 3, and my Mom couldn't stand this cousin, so we never saw them again until I was invited to her 90th birthday (4 years ago). Saw her on 3 occasions, met a bunch of cousins I'd never laid eyes on before, and then she died.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-03-2020, 02:24 AM
Elite Fan

You're in my thoughts MyrnaLynne!

I've never been one to skip meals either; I love food too much!
Old 02-03-2020, 08:39 AM
Elite Fan

ML That is SO disturbing about that mistake that dentist did! I'm sorry he has had to suffer needlessly !! I hope it heals quickly and that nothing is wrong with lungs. I took Lysynipril (sp) it gave me the cough eventually and I never liked it much. I changed to the poisonous Valsarten which Ironically worked great with no side effects....then I did Losarten which I think gave me burning tongue...switched to Amblodapine after a year of tongue burn ( too lazy to look up any spelling sorry) now amblpdapine isn't working great plus gives me some swelling.....so back to Losarten for now but it is giving my tongue that feeling again

You really have to fool with BP meds often.

I have a health issue I could use prayers for.

I will try to make brief

3 yrs ago when I went to ER for vertigo got blood test showed problem with thyroid hormone....my GP got results told me one was low the other fine just to watch. I assumed low meant hypo....since I am chubby and have to watch weight.
common with women my age no biggie....so I wasn't concerned...
I've been gaining weight unusually fast past couple of months...I assume hypo problem. I asked Dr about my thyroid tests. Assumed he would be monitoring.....Linda died a month after I had that first thyroid test plus all the baby stuff and just tons of life stuff...so of course didn't check on myself.

I went in last week to talk blood pressure but asked about thyroid....turns out the hormone that was off was hyper...not good....for 3 years...I am disappointed in my GP wabout this ho I really like but he and I ( since you have to always be your own advocate) dropped the ball on this.

It is something...hoping not cancer but it is something..autoimmune or something. I get an ultrasound and a bone scan today and more bloodwork. Trying to find a good endocrynolgist that will see me before months go by. Turns out that sin't easy.

SO that wasn't short sorry … I tried.

yup wicked we are talking illness we are old

keepsmiling
Old 02-04-2020, 01:39 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........you are now at the top of my prayer list. I hate that you have to have all of this testing, but I am praying for a quick solution and speedy recovery. I am praying that your new doctor will have the understanding and knowledge to treat you properly and that the problems will soon be resolved.
Please keep us posted as your progress through this....

Last edited by keepsmiling7; 02-04-2020 at 01:45 PM
Old 02-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Master Fan

Podmom sorry you are having thyroid issues. I think that's an area that's easily fixed, even if G-d forbid, cancer there, because it's just in your neck/near the surface. I hope you find somebody good and get answers. Thyroid can make you gain weight, and be sluggish (or hyper and bulgy eyes). If they need to take it out, or take some of it out, or zap it, you just take thyroid pills/replacements instead. HUGS!

Good to know about the BP meds too - I'm on Losarten with no problems, but I think I had to get off another one that made my arm get splotchy and Mrs Dr Boss was concerned about that. Another friend also coughed from the Lisinopril (Wen) and had to get off it. I hope he'll talke to his doctor (he is sooo stubborn).

Prayers for you!

I FINALLY went to a flooring place to look at flooring for my kitchen and pantry (I can have a guy come and put in) - for years, I've put down all the flooring, but I'm not crawling around on any more floors. - too old, joints too bad. I put that tiny floor in my Dad's condo kitchen two years ago and that nearly killed me (and I didn't do that great a job either). Although I knew whoever bought it would rip everything out and redo it anyway, it was just to find a buyer.

Anyway, the lady was very nice, it's a husband and wife operation in the next town, and she was very helpful and I took home some 'swatches' - I thought I wanted fake wood, but I found a tile pattern that's really pretty, goes with my cabinets and countertop. I'm excited! Have to have them come measure etc. The floor was the last bit I hadn't done when we updated the kitchen/refaced the cabinets etc. and it's really looking worn out at this point. Even if we want to downsize and sell, I still have to look at my kitchen floor every day in the meanwhile!

and praise the Lord, Mr ML got a clean bill of health with the chest CT - they had some 'spots' they noticed ~7 years ago and never bothered following up, and they are unchanged - some people just have a few weird spots inside them! That was a big relief, although of course they saw a few 'old age' changes in there. But with him having mucked about with asbestos stuff around the house years back, I was worried.

He also saw the oral surgeon today and spot is healing up nicely. He'll get an x-ray in 5 weeks. Not sure how they proceed from there - I guess start all over with the tooth implant again? I assume it will be free this time around!

LOL, thanks Ekua, I once missed breakfast in college and I CRIED! Mr ML thought that was such a hysterically funny story!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Total Fan

ML.......I'm guessing you are over the cough/cold at this point. It is great news that your hubby got a clean bill of health. His ordeal with the oral surgeon is unbelievable.

I'm anxious to hear from PODMOM and he situation.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Elite Fan

Talk texting this post because I have to be quick. Good thing is I’m at Elizabeth and Emily came today so I am busy with kids and loved ones because some of my info is coming back a little bit scary. I was able to get in to Penn and Bryn Mawr to excellent facilities hospitals. They looked at my alter sound. Pen said it would have been a disaster if I got a needle biopsy because I have a very vascular large growth and it could’ve caused thyroid storm. Evidently that’s not a good thing and can even kill you. Now the people at Bryn Mawr did not come back without result and they actually scheduled a needle biopsy. So I have two very institution saying two different things. Pen that is university of Pennsylvania which hasn’t really excellent reputation has popped up a doctors appointment with an endocrinologist for March 24 to February 11 so that’s great. The pen people are being proactive they sayI should get a isotope test to check for hotspots etc. in the thyroid tissue. I’m probably going to go with pen since I have an appointment with an endocrinologist. And I’m a little scared of this thyroid storm situation. So thank you keep smiling and ML for praying
Old 02-07-2020, 02:25 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM......I'm still praying, but I'm thankful Pen jumped right on it and you have appointments the 11th. Glad you had time with your daughters. Keep us posted as your time allows.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:50 PM
Master Fan

Sorry for the scary news Podmom! And conflicting hospital opinions, that's always confusing. Sounds like Penn is on the job and can see you soon. Praying all goes well! Glad you have family around you. HUGS!

Actually keepsmiling I just laid down for a nap for an hour and got up coughing and coughing. Cough isn't quite gone yet (stupid lingering cold). And yesterday I got up, and I couldn't walk! I'd pulled something in my hip (not the hip replacement but some muscles or tendon around it). It was a little sore the day before, but yesterday it was really hard to walk. And of course my daughter came to visit, so we went out and did a few things anyway and I hobbled around painfully with my cane. I was going to bake cookies that morning before she came, but I couldn't get around, so she helped me bake them/we did it together. Then I got up this morning and my hip decided to start working again! Very grateful, but mystifying!

We went to a flooring and carpet place, looking for something inexpensive to put down in my kitchen and pantry. Came home with some samples and found one I like. The lady there was very nice and helpful, it's a family business in the next town over. I thought I wanted fake wood, but this is more fake tile and grout look. The colors match my cabinets and countertop - sold! I'm very excited, as this is the last step in my kitchen update that never got done and has been on the to-do list for Years. I called them this morning to make an appointment to come out and measure the kitchen and pantry (long skinny room off the kitchen that has the kitchen sink in it - and the all important window to spy on the neighbors - lol).

Speaking of those neighbors, they must have figured out about the family of squirrels living under their eaves, because a guy came with a ladder and some wire and blocked up the entrance to their 'home.' I saw a very sad squirrel sitting on the peak of their roof, in the pouring rain this morning, with his tail over himself like an umbrella looking very sad to have no home. I've been watching generations of these squirrels come and go from there. But the people before never knew, they had an unfinished attic; the new owners finished the third floor and have had company staying up there, and they must have heard scampering in the walls.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 02-07-2020, 04:12 PM
Total Fan

Sorry about your cough ML...............hope you get over that right away.
Loved your story about the squirrels ML. A friend of mine this week was telling me about her trouble with squirrels getting into her bird feeder, and set out a live trap for them. Funny thing last week, she found a skunk in the trap instead. She had an interesting time with a very long pole trying to get that trap open so the skunk could scurry away.
Take care of that cough!
Old 02-08-2020, 01:45 PM
Master Fan

I know squirrels can do damage if they get in the eaves and nibble things, but I thoroughly enjoyed them living in someone else's house! The park down the street is full of oak trees, so they feast on acorns, plus they eat ALL the walnuts off my walnut tree every year. They are well provided for. Plus, squirrels eat just about anything, I think.

LOL about catching a skunk when you're after squirrels. I think I saw one of those state Ranger/Game Warden TV shows where somebody set out a trap for something, and a baby bear got in there! That was interesting, trying to let him out so he could run back to the woods and join his Mamma. My sister-in-law Barbara feeds the squirrels constantly - chopped up fruit, old raisins or nuts, bread crusts, whatever she has, she puts in her yard for the squirrels. She's lucky she hasn't attracted any RATS! LOL, my friend Susan has a ton of bird feeders, but she makes peanut butter sandwiches for her squirrels!

I got up next day and my hip was fine again, although started to hurt again by end of day. Dragged myself off to the synagogue this morning, but brought a cane for all the standing up and sitting down (and standing up again).

I'm excited about the new kitchen floor - hope when the man comes to measure, it won't be astronomically expensive! Also hope he does a wonderful job.

MLette is coming over tomorrow to watch the Oscars with me. I don't know why, but we enjoy those award shows, and the gowns and the speeches etc.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Closed Thread   Post New Thread