Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Master Fan

Started snowing here about 5 pm (3 hrs ago). Everything is covered in white, but I don't think it will be much, maybe 2-4". As you say, these things are hard to call. Barbara has stayed away (from my germs) the past 3 days (can't say I've missed her company).

Your husband can teach the new neighbors about plowing. Sorry your longtime neighbors moved away. Nice of you to welcome the new neighbors to the hood.

I got a Hanukah card from one of our former across-the street neighbors who moved a few towns over, and then her obituary was in the paper - she died Dec 27! Must have been sudden, as she was alive to go out buy us and send us a special card. Wow.

Dragged myself to the synagogue this morning, wore one of those flu masks that loops over your ears (I picked up at MGH a few flu seasons ago and brought home) - I didn't want to make anybody else sick, but I wanted to go say the memorial prayer for my Dad (2 years - zip!) I assured everybody it wasn't the flu, just a cold (but I'm not sure they believed me). Mr ML and I went home and took naps!

I'll be happy if/when we move to Brooksby Village and can leave the shovels behind (well, except for an emergency one in the car) and leave all the fixing to their maintenance men.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-18-2020, 07:07 PM
Elite Fan

we never got much....wintry mix mostly

Oh that is kind of shocking about your old neighbor sending your card then dying

Liz sent me the cutest video of Grace. I started getting texts of just a long strging of letters.....I figured it was Grace playing with Liz's phone. I sent her back emogies of me and pictures from my phone so back and forth we went for a long while. Liz was taking a video of GRace all that time. She was speaking what she thought she was sending me. It was so cute and sweet and entertaining. Stuff about wanting me and grandpa too to come to her house very soon. How much she loved me and on and on and using some interesting long words and even threw in a bit about sin and God and then back to me coming to her house very very soon and that she would find pleasure in me coming etc then she got distracted by her brother seeing some snow. I can't begin to do it justice....so cute
Old 01-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Master Fan

Oh that is sooo precious, Grace's video! Out of the mouths of babes!

We got about 4 inches of snow. Mr ML went out and shoveled last night late (and probably annoyed the early to bed new neighbors). He was going to get up and go to the gym this morning - took one look at the temperature and the amount of snow on the car - went back to bed!

He did go shovel and clean off the car later, and went to the gym. Played basketball with some young guys and came back with the bridge of his nose bleeding (got his glasses pushed against it, I assume). He had a wonderful time!

Meanwhile, I haven't left the house in two days.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM........that is such a wonderful memory you will always have of Grace on the video.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:09 AM
Master Fan

Ugh, this cold is so gross. I think I'm getting better, though. Started to feel a bit of energy again yesterday, which is good because MLette came over. We went out to lunch at the healthy food place, shopped at Kohl's with the $12 they sent me (and 20%) and came home with a leather car coat on big sale and $20 Kohl cash! Also swung by Trader Joe and got a few things. She was here the day I was getting sick, so I was relieved she didn't catch it.

My friend in Charlotte, NC (retired work friend - actually we became friends at her retirement party, and have corresponded every since - lol) had a very similar-sounding cold and she coughed for 2 weeks and then took herself to the doctor!

I'm crunching numbers, my least favorite thing to do. Starting on the taxes and have to see the financial lady and trying to figure out what we spent $ on in 2019 (everything) My brain hurts!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-21-2020, 01:28 PM
Total Fan

ML........wish I could crunch those numbers for you. That's my thing! When I was a little girl my daddy would take me down to his office. I would play on his adding machine......really loved that. Guess that's why I was a business major in college.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:32 PM
Master Fan

Nobody loved numbers more than my Dad, but it skipped me and my brother! It drove him crazy that we didn't find math 'fun'!

I just know I'm bad at math, so I have to check everything 2 or 3 times (if it comes out the same answer twice, I assume it's correct - lol). Although I had a long list of numbers to add up (how much Mr ML spent on his hobbies this past year) so I typed them into Excel, and had the computer add them up - much easier!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-24-2020, 05:55 AM
Total Fan

ML.........Excel spreadsheets are great, aren't they? I try to keep a lot of our household expenses on excel to keep in practice. When I retired I realized I was loosing some of my computer skills, and didn't have the IT people to help me out. That's the main reason I went to the Senior Citizen's Center to learn to play bridge. Anything to keep the old mind active.

Hi PODMOM........are you still resting at home, or are you on the road again?
Old 01-24-2020, 09:25 AM
Master Fan

That's very smart keepsmiling to keep sharp! My brother-in-law in Long Island got into bridge in retirement - but he's an engineer, a fellow number person like you.

My friend joined Lumosity, the brain game website, with a family membership, and she invited me to be part of her 'family' so I have been playing (for free!) three times a week. They give you a long free trial, and then keep trying to get you to sign up for it; I did that in the past, but didn't think I'd use it that much, so I never joined. The 'games' are enjoyable - there are even little math problems dropping from the sky like raindrops!

I always say if calculators and computers were invented a few years sooner, I might have been a doctor or engineer or something like that. It was the math that held me back! Oh well, I might have been a bad doctor or engineer (whose bridges and buildings fell over).
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 01-25-2020, 11:26 AM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling I was back on the road a bit. I was with Liz Wednesaday after bible study came back Thursday night because frieday we had to meet with our financial ppl.

Oh those math problems falling like rain sound horrible to me....more like hale

I am so bad at math....good thing podad was great ( chemical engineer) so my girls got that good gene from him!

Lots of colds around ,,,,,I'm hoiping not to catch the one LIz and Tommy had.

I have to teach a woman's bible study at church tomorrow. Public speaking. Not my thing but sometimes I need to share the burden. A number of women are teaching one week this semester so after prayer and fighting it I submitted...I said what the topic was on the other pg so won't bore you but I need to get to it

Old 01-25-2020, 05:38 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........it was good that you checked in with us. Goodluck with your teaching project Sunday. I know you will do a great job. The youth at our church will be having a rummage sale in Feb. so that gave me the incentive to get busy again cleaning out this house. Right now my car is loaded down with treasures, can't wait to get it cleared out.

We had a grandson come visit this weekend, he was really meeting up with his college frat brothers Sat. but did spend one night with the old folks. We especially love it when we get the adult grandkids in a one-to-one situation. Hubby was trying to give Will things for his "big boy apartment". Unfortunately the other grandmother has already beaten us to the punch and loaded him up with furnishings when she moved to assisted living..

ML........I haven't heard of Lumosity.......did you think it was a good brain game? One of hubby's investment advisors sent him a paper back book with cross word puzzles, games and my favorite Sudoku.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks keepsmiling it went well....people were very kind and supportive.

Oh I wish my church would have a yard sale type thing!!

I'm listening to the sad sad sad news of Kobe Bryant and tragically his 13 year old daughters deaths in a helicopter crash today. so shocking and tragic!! His poor wife she needs our prayers.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Total Fan

PODMOM........that is so very sad about Kobe Bryant and his daughter. We first heard that he had all four daughters with him.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

There is that Mercy

That other family was a couple and one daughter...left I think two children orphans tragic for all the lost and their families.

Every day is a gift
Old 01-31-2020, 11:47 AM
Total Fan

There have been lots of excellent memorials for Kobe and his daughter. I learn more about him everyday it seems.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread