Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2022, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

They probably have a lot a of students with a 4.0. An entire school of Parises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I would think Rory Gilmore would get in on her merits alone, but maybe it's THAT exclusive and they didn't know who her grandparents were.

I'm not back to school today but we had freezing rain so a delayed opening for school. I will go back Friday I think. I'm milking it a bit because I don't want to Covid on top of this **** I already have. There are so many students and teachers with it. I think it's best if I stay away.
OM got an email yesterday that UT will be online until February 1st. One of her classes is the same professor she had last semester. She’s immune compromised, and did all of last semester online. I’m sure she’ll do that again for this class.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:17 PM
Passionate Fan

It started snowing this afternoon & is supposed to continue through the early hours so drop off in the morning should be interesting. The city does such a horrible job pretreating & plowing the roadways that it’s just going to be an icy, freezing mess. The logic behind this is that the sun will melt the snow so need to go overboard with plowing except on major roads and even then it’s the bare minimum. I really hope the school district does a 2 hr delay with how cold it will be tomorrow morning.

Being a teacher right now has to be an absolute nightmare. I hope our district doesn’t go remote but they’ve already given notice to be prepared with staffing shortages for short term disruptions. I feel so bad for the kids with all the stops & starts of their routines. It’s so disruptive and hard to learn in the remote environment.

I still have to watch this weeks episode of Yellowjackets but WOW is it good. I think that Jackie might still be alive & could be the one blackmailing the group. She seems like she would be the one with the revenge motive against Shauna and she has been referenced the most in the present day. Lottie gives me the creeps with her visions and bone necklaces. I mean she’s not wrong with her warnings but she comes off as bat***** crazy in the group.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I absolutely do feel like Jackie might still be alive too, with that intro to the show where it would appear she's dead, but with all the supernatural stuff/visions who knows what actually happened to her. She's also making quite a few enemies/rubbing people the wrong way so it would make sense it's her.

I hate when it gets that cold that the salt trucks can't do much. It was really windy here today and really cold so the lake effect snow machine was in full effect. We don't get it as bad on the east side but the west side of the state, where I went to college, is expecting a foot.

Times like these I do wish I worked for some huge company so I could work remotely. I know I've been given some leeway to be at home but I'm super jealous of my friends who have corporate jobs who are all, "work from home was pushed back anther month again". My dream.

I know that this version of covid isn't as deadly but it's still scary. A friend of mine who lives in Canada, her entire family came down with covid around Christmas, one after the other. Then her oldest daughter, who is about eight started vomiting and couldn't keep anything down, she'd just gotten over covid so they took her to the ER and she had to have an appendectomy. They were told that they'd seen a spike in kids having covid and then having to have their appendix out. I had heard nothing like that, it's such a weird disease.
Old 01-05-2022, 08:54 PM
Master Fan

I know so many people with Covid right now. I'm terrified to go back in the classroom. The little ones are so hard to keep in their seats and keep their masks on. I have to go back on Friday. Do you remember last month I went to a funeral for a friend that passed of Covid? 53 years old and in good shape? He was a chiropractor. I was actually friends with his wife and daughter. Anyhow, Covid swept through their house in August and he was on a ventilator since then. They all have it again... and they are all still unvaccinated. In their defense, they have always been antivax. So scary.

We had a snow day on Monday, but the snow never came, it hit way further south. Then a delay today because of freezing rain, and now it's supposed to snow again into Friday morning. I'm anticipating another snow day or a delay. I have to go back on Friday. I can't milk it anymore.
Old 01-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Passionate Fan

The school district called a 2 hr delay for tomorrow…..thank goodness!!!! The girls are ecstatic and I’m excited to sleep in. My youngest daughters teacher just sent out an email tonight saying that she came home from school today and felt funny so she took a test and it came back positive. SIGH She said that she is fully vaccinated & boosted and always wears her N95 mask in the classroom. Not good news and the girls have only been back a day and a half so far.

I don’t understand how people that lose loved ones to COVID remain unvaccinated after seeing their loved one suffer and die. I guess for some people this virus just isn’t real or they just strongly believe against any vaccine. I worked in a pediatricians office years ago & we had so many chiropractors with newborns that would refuse all vaccines. The dr would make them sign an AMA after speaking with them at length. They always acted so nonchalant about their choice and would refer other chiropractors to our practice to do the same. It would make the dr I worked for livid and there was no getting through to them. I didn’t even had kids at the time and I thought they were absolutely nuts and reckless.

If it’s not Jackie, I will be shocked. They are already setting her up to be a villain and she has the whole revenge angle with Shauna. She just seems like too big of a character to not still be alive somehow.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:24 PM
Master Fan

I have a lot of skepticism when it comes to SOME vaccines... their ingredients, their purpose etc. Like why can't kids get chicken pox anymore and build natural immunity? I went back and forth about the Covid vaccine but in the end I felt it was important and the best option for me since I have so many preexisting conditions. Anyhow.. this family that I am talking about has always been antivax, even for their dogs. I used to watch their dog and he wasn't neutered and he was so aggressive. I don't know if that's why but I have to think it's related.
I had/have a good friend who is VERY into all of that.... like hardcore. A lot of stuff she says makes a lot of sense, like the pharmaceutical profit side of it, but a lot of stuff is bat**** crazy. Plus she's not talking to me right now because I got vaccinated. lol

Last edited by elherts; 01-06-2022 at 12:28 PM
Old 01-06-2022, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I read, yesterday, that Colorado is seriously negative in water and snow this year. That usually there's 30 plus inches of snow by now, and that ski resorts haven't been able to make fake snow bc it's been too warm. They were saying the fires would have been avoided if it had been snowier. All of that destruction and loss hurts my heart.

I can't imagine that vaccines for your animal would affect behavior. Neutering definitely can affect them. Also, how they are raised makes a difference. If they didn't correct him when he was being aggressive, they taught him it was okay.

Chiropractors definitely lean more toward natural medicine, for the most part. It makes perfect sense to me that they are anti-vax or delayed vaxxers.

Kiki, I hate that your friend has stopped talking to you. That is so ridiculous.

I read somewhere, last week, that you can't get COVID twice. Since then, I have seen no less than 5 ppl say they have it again or know someone who does. There are so many unknowns that everything seems like a contradiction.

My friend posted last night about a NURSE in a HOSPITAL that was told to continue working after testing positive as long as she wore an N95 mask! N 10-day quarantine, no 5-day quarantine...just keep working. Is that an error in judgment from the hospital or is the illness not that worrisome? It's easy to see why ppl are conflicted. The information out there is not unifying at all. It's overwhelming and it gives me a headache to think about it.

I've always been that parent that kept my kids home when they were sick and that parent that not so silently judged those parents that did not. I feel like if kids (and teachers) who were really sick were home all along...this many kids (and teachers) would be absent from school on the regular. Teachers are not encouraged to stay home if sick. It's easier to teach sick than make sub plans. Schools all but beg you to bring your child, they get paid based on the number of bottoms in seats. Employers do not make the working parent feel like tending to their child is the right choice. They make it so hard to do the right thing. We've only become uber aware of illness since THIS illness is so nasty. I've seen kids sent to school contagious bc the parent wanted to be sure their child got perfect attendance. We should seriously stop rewarding that. When MY kid gets sick, bc YOU have poor judgment... I get very annoyed.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSweetieTX (View Post)
I read, yesterday, that Colorado is seriously negative in water and snow this year. That usually there's 30 plus inches of snow by now, and that ski resorts haven't been able to make fake snow bc it's been too warm. They were saying the fires would have been avoided if it had been snowier. All of that destruction and loss hurts my heart.

Chiropractors definitely lean more toward natural medicine, for the most part. It makes perfect sense to me that they are anti-vax or delayed vaxxers.

Kiki, I hate that your friend has stopped talking to you. That is so ridiculous.

I read somewhere, last week, that you can't get COVID twice. Since then, I have seen no less than 5 ppl say they have it again or know someone who does. There are so many unknowns that everything seems like a contradiction.

I've always been that parent that kept my kids home when they were sick and that parent that not so silently judged those parents that did not. I feel like if kids (and teachers) who were really sick were home all along...this many kids (and teachers) would be absent from school on the regular. Teachers are not encouraged to stay home if sick. It's easier to teach sick than make sub plans. Schools all but beg you to bring your child, they get paid based on the number of bottoms in seats. Employers do not make the working parent feel like tending to their child is the right choice. They make it so hard to do the right thing. We've only become uber aware of illness since THIS illness is so nasty. I've seen kids sent to school contagious bc the parent wanted to be sure their child got perfect attendance. We should seriously stop rewarding that. When MY kid gets sick, bc YOU have poor judgment... I get very annoyed.
I'm sure the weather in Colorado has something to do with climate change. I don't know enough about climate change but I definitely want to learn more. Why does the right say that there is no climate change? What is their justification for that?

I actually hate the term anti-vaxxer. I have a few friends who are hardcore into the movement but they are only Pro safe vaccines, and pro choice for the vaccines. But again, one of these friends, one of my best friends of 35 years has stopped talking to me after I told her I got vaccinated so that would make her a hypocrite.

I know multiple people who have had covid twice. I think it's the new variant.

Everything you said about the school system and sick teachers and students is 100% spot on. I missed 3 days this week and it's been so stressful.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:45 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I feel like for so long we've all been conditioned to work through being sick and just push through it. I mean generally the only thing keeping me out of work was the flu or some type of stomach bug. It's actually so glaring now when people who are coughing or sniffling or sick and they say it's "just a cold" and I feel like, well stay away from me what are you doing out? If any good thing comes out of this will it be that people are more likely to stay away from work or school if they're sick? Probably not because there are still a ton of people attempting to work through illness or sending their kids to school.

I have plenty of family members who are vaxxed but not convinced about the booster and I have a few family members who are unvaxxed and have their own reasons. I wish that those who can get vaccinated would but I don't agree with mandates but at the same time side eye those who have trusted vaccines to this point and now just won't get on board with this vaccine, it's just frustrating that the disease has been allowed to fester and mutate because it can't be snuffed out. Though with Omicron it may be the beginning of the end of Covid. There is evidence that if you contract Omicron it gives you resistance against Delta and immunity against other mutations, so that's a good thing. But if you've had Delta you're not immune to Omicron.

I know a few people who have had it multiple times. The assistant at my office whose husband just had it came down with Omicron. She had a version of covid this same time last year as well. She said she thought she had immunity but antibodies wane after so long, but she never got vaccinated.

A lot of hospitals are short staffed so I don't know if they're allowing asymptomatic nurses to continue to work but it seems like the wrong policy. My sister-in-law is working overtime right now because like a third of their nursing staff is out with covid, she's not even in the ICU/working with Covid patients normally but has been recruited into doing that again because of low staffing.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I don't know?!? It seems very obvious and logical to me. It's like the seasons have shifted. Where fall was traditionally September, now it's November. I don't understand why climate change is political. I mean, I get it. There's a change and we need to address it, so THAT becomes political. How you don't acknowledge it at all? I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elherts (View Post)
I'm sure the weather in Colorado has something to do with climate change. I don't know enough about climate change but I definitely want to learn more. Why does the right say that there is no climate change? What is their justification for that?

I actually hate the term anti-vaxxer. I have a few friends who are hardcore into the movement but they are only Pro safe vaccines, and pro choice for the vaccines. But again, one of these friends, one of my best friends of 35 years has stopped talking to me after I told her I got vaccinated so that would make her a hypocrite.

I know multiple people who have had covid twice. I think it's the new variant.

Everything you said about the school system and sick teachers and students is 100% spot on. I missed 3 days this week and it's been so stressful.
I have not ever been and will not ever be a fan of money being tied to attendance or testing. Schools need funds to run, regardless of how many kids are there or how they test. Teachers don't get paid per kid or test score. Why is the district's ability to pay them measured that way? It boils my blood

I just tried to schedule a field trip for Baby M's class. Ausin went back to Stage 5 for COVID protocol this week, so we can't do it until we come back down. Can we just be done now? Please!?!?
Old 01-06-2022, 06:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Hey guys!

How's everyone doing? What's the news; both Taylor-related and not??

I don't know if I mentioned this earlier, but my husband shattered his kneecap in June and he's STILL on crutches. So that's fun. We all had covid in October. Bobby and I were quite ill for a few days. Luckily the girls were both OK. It's so difficult to take care of young kids when you can barely move though.

We're also due to be moving house soon. Although I won't get too excited until we're in, because the process has dragged on since late July.

Apologies if any of that is repetition. It's so long since I've been on, I don't remember.

Kiki, I skimmed your list. Curb is one of my all-time favourites so I would definitely stick with it. I watched Normal people last year and loved it. I just finished watching Dexter ep 9, just waiting for the finale. I recently watched Dopesick and Chucky (!!!!) too.

I have the Lost Daughter ready to watch at the weekend. I just watched the latest Harlan Coben too but I didn't love it. I want to watch the netflix movie with Jessie and Kirsten Dunst, although the name escapes me.

Love to you all x
Old 01-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Oh my! If you mentioned his knee, I don’t remember. That sounds so painful! I can image that would require some PT.
I am so sorry y’all got sick. I’m glad the girls weren’t too sick.
Are they going to school in person or online currently?

That’s exciting about the house! Will you be in the same area?
Old 01-07-2022, 04:16 PM
Passionate Fan

I shoveled for 2 1/2 hours yesterday and I am SO sore today. We have a snowblower but I don’t know how to use it & my husband was at work so I decided to dig us out. Not a very smart decision and last night I was regretting it. I think I’m going to get a crash course in how to use it before the next snowfall.

Kayla- Colorado was in a severe drought about a month ago but the mountains have had several significant snowstorms since then and the ski resorts are operating under normal conditions now. It’s very typical for them to measure storms in feet which helps them open pretty quickly. I saw a report yesterday that most of Colorado’s snow basins are above expected levels right now with the exception of one area so that’s great news. We’re going to need a lot of moisture before heading into the summer & fall.

Kiki- Climate change absolutely had a lot to do with the wildfire that just happened. We’re being told that there is no longer a fire season here and that all year we can expect one to occur if drought conditions are in effect. The wind was blowing hard here the other day and it completely freaked me out. I kept expecting to smell smoke and my anxiety was going through the roof. I think a lot of the area has PTSD from this and now we know that the metro area is not immune from fire danger. I don’t understand how people can deny climate change with all that we’ve seen in the last few years. It shouldn’t be a political issue but unfortunately it is and that needs to change ASAP. What scares me the most is have we done irreparable damage to our planet to the point that anything we are attempting to do now is almost too little too late. I really, really hope not

Not vaccinating your pets is hardcore. We’ve lived in areas where we had to register our pets and pay yearly fees for them so you could not get away with them not having their shots.

There are some vaccines for my oldest daughter that I am hesitant about as well. The biggest one being the HPV vaccine series. I don’t usually get an uneasy feeling about vaccines but this one makes me very nervous. There’s a reason that I’m uncomfortable with it and I feel like it’s best to trust my gut. I know it’s controversial and I’ve tried to keep an open mind but I’m still not comfortable enough with the data to give it to my girls. That being said, I know that many feel the same way about the COVID vaccine. My problem is that some people are getting their medical advice from politicians, Facebook and other non credible sources instead of having an informed conversation with their doctors.

Our district use to give out perfect attendance awards but I believe stopped doing so when the rona hit. In current times, it’s impossible anyhow for any kid to achieve perfect attendance with quarantines and general illness. Instead, our elementary & middle school focus on teaching positive character traits and then award a student from each class a yard sign to display for a month when they are nominated by their teachers for exhibiting that trait. It’s set up that every child will eventually get one during their time at the school and the program is run by our social/emotional teacher. The kids love it & my daughter had her turn last spring.

I agree that our society doesn’t allow for most parents to stay home with kids while their sick and with rona a lot of working moms are giving up their jobs because they don’t have childcare and their employer aren’t flexible. We really need to change how we look at things and employers need to be more understanding until then I don’t know what’s the perfect solution. Rona has certainly shined a spotlight on the unfairness of it all.
Old 01-07-2022, 05:07 PM
Master Fan

I shoveled today and then walked the dog far for the first time in two weeks. My lungs were NOT happy.

My district has the social/emotional program as well, but we can do mulitple children a month. I try to make sure every kid gets at least one throughout the year, but I don't insist upon it because quite frankly, some kids just don't deserve it. But I do try to find the positives in each child.

So an interesting thing happened today. To make a long story short... the guy who owns the pizza place that I frequent asked me out. Well... I think he did. He actually is a friend of a friend and the last I knew, like 6 years ago, he's married with kids. And I know him through the wife. SO that makes me believe that he may be divorced and thinks I know. But I'm not 100% sure. I just like laughed and said... "Oh sure, you can cook for me...." and he was like "No... no, like we'll go out." ???? I'm going to do some investigating but I can't ask the one friend we have in common because she's the one who is friends with his wife/ex-wife. I'm not interested in him, think Pauly D in 10 years, but I need to know how to proceed going forward. I can't not go back to the pizza place. I go there like once a week.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:18 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Oh no! You can’t let this highjack your pizza place. If you aren’t interested, just say so. I doubt he’ll hold a grudge.

We saw West Side Story today. My first movie since 2020. Go now! See it before it leaves the theaters. It is phenomenal! It’s better than the original movie. It’s visually stunning. We all loved it! Even Baby M, who was hesitant. He didn’t really like the original movie version. Go see it!!!