Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2022, 01:06 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I've always liked Austin when visiting, though I always seem to go when it's cold. It has a Louisville vibe to me.

I woke up this morning with some weird burning rash on my shin. I have no idea what it is. My skin is sometimes sensitive but that's usually reserved for my face or arms, not my lower leg and just on one side. It feels like I scraped it but I don't remember doing that at all, I only noticed it when I was in the shower and the hot water was hurting it.

Went to Ikea today, bought a picture of a giant water buffalo because it felt right.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:48 PM
Passionate Fan

I’ve driven by Austin to go to San Antonio and have spent some time around the Dallas area but that’s about it. We were supposed to be stationed in San Antonio but at the last minute got an offer to go to Boston for a few years and we took it. I’ve always wanted to spend more time in Texas, particularly Waco for the Magnolia shops, maybe once the rona subsides we can finally get down there and explore.

A-is your rash still there? Did you take a new medicine that might have caused some sensitivity? I’m very sensitive to mixing meds and always get a rash whenever I get a really bad cold with fever and have to mix different meds for comfort.

Where are you going to hang the giant water buffalo picture?

I have done absolutely nothing today. At this point, sloths have more energy than me. I really need to snap out of my funk because I have stuff to get done but just zero motivation to do it.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

On further examination it's a giant steer. I'm going to put it above the bed in the guest room. I bought the paint today so I'm painting tomorrow. I decided to go with a greenish grey.

I looked at it more closely this afternoon and I don't think it's a rash. I think my skin is just super super dry. I don't remember scratching it because it was itchy but I very well could have. I've been itching my hands like crazy. Basically with how cold its been I go through so much lotion this time of year.

Right after the holidays I always get into a funk. I'm trying to not fall into it this year by doing the room this weekend and trying to stay busy. But I didn't really do anything this evening other than finish Dexter and binge Cheer.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:19 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

So, the general rule is, if you’ve only been to Austin, you haven’t been to Texas. It holds up. ATX is very different from the rest of the state. More hippie, less cowboy. It has a great vibe, very earthy, nature, eclectic, laid back. I honestly think that’s why California peeps like it so much.

How you manage to come when it’s cold is a mystery. It’s mostly hot most of the year.
It was 75 today!

Waco is fun! They have a, surprisingly, great zoo. The silos are busy. It wasn’t too bad the last time I was there, but COVID. Not everything was open. Don’t call me a traitor to Chip and JoJo, but the cupcakes were not worth the 45 minute wait. I’ve heard their restaurant is great though. Traffic in Waco is nuts. They are expanding 35 and it’s a beating to drive through there. Waco is about 1.5 hours from us. It’s halfway to Dallas.
SA is fun! It’s very humid.I’ve always liked the river walk. There are some great missions located off the river walk. Between SA and Austin is New Braunfels. The river is there, and really fun to tube. I really really like this part of the state.

I need to go to IKEA, I haven’t gathered up the energy to do it. Today was so low energy for me. I don’t know why.
I’m about to start a sort and organize project tomorrow. It’s been on my list since we moved in…so almost 2.5 years. It’s time.

We had a game night scheduled for tomorrow and it got canceled. Boo! We were looking forward to going and seeing friends. OM starts classes on Tuesday. Her English professor said class would be online all semester, as I guessed. OM is not happy about it. I’m okay with it, only bc it’s easier for me. She would have had to be on campus by 11am for this class and then hang out and a wait for her class at 6pm. Now she can do that class at home, and not have to be on campus until 6. The evening class is three days a week, and from 6-9! I’m not looking forward to it at all. It should be a fun class for her though. Introduction to directing.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:45 AM
Master Fan

Nothing has happened with the pizza guy. I haven't been back yet, and I haven't seen my friend to get the scoop.

My bikini days are well behind me too. I can wear a two piece but I need a little skirt but maybe that's in my head.

My family always gets into heated political/racial discussions. Last night was terrible. We were all screaming at each other. So stupid. I hate that people can't have a normal conversation.

I am getting my whole downstairs, stairway, and upstairs landing repainted whenever they get the insurance **** together. Mine is gray. I did this paint color 10 years ago and everyone thought gray was a weird color. And now everyone does it. I was ahead of my time. lol I'm going to do a gray again but a little darker. I will actually just tell my contractor that... let him pick it out. I'm excited to get all new trim too.

I've been dying to come to Texas. I want to do San Antonio and Austin mainly but I would do a whole state tour.

Hope your rash is better. Its official that I am allergic to pineapple. I had it in an acaii bowl last night and my lip swelled up. I always suspected but now it's confirmed.

I love IKEA also. I had an IKEA a mile from my house when I was married. Now it's like 35 minutes away. I haven't been in a very long time.

Nothing exciting for me this weekend. Eagles playoff game tomorrow. I'm off for MLK on Monday and we are supposed to get a big snowstorm.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:28 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Allergic to pineapple!?! No! That totally sucks. I love pineapple.

You can skip Houston. No one needs to visit Houston.

I think gray would be nice, and yes, it is certainly on trend.

Baby M is ready to watch the Cowboys tomorrow. I’m happy for Cincinnati! First playoff game in 31 years!
Old 01-15-2022, 09:34 PM
Passionate Fan

I actually had some motivation to get some things done today which was good. The tree upstairs is down, just need to take the ornament boxes to the basement. Hopefully, I have the same motivation tomorrow and get some cleaning done around here. I HATE this time of year and the general blah feeling that comes with it.

Gray is a pretty neutral color too. We’ve never done it but it’s very popular right now and should look great in your space. Hopefully your insurance gets moving and you can get it all done very soon.

Isn’t New Braunfels where the ginormous outlets are? I went there about 12 years ago and it’s still the best outlet I have ever shopped at. I would go back to Texas just for that😂. We did the whole tubing on the river thing but I wasn’t a big fan. The river water level was low and I kept getting bottomed out in a lot of places so I never got the whole floating down the river experience like I had hoped for.

I haven’t heard of anyone being allergic to pineapple but a few classmates of my daughters are allergic to strawberries, blueberries and peaches. My youngest has a severe allergy to cashews & pistachios which requires an Epi Pen. She’s had 2 incidents where she ate these and landed in the ER. Both times scared the hell out of me but now she’s old enough now to start reading labels and asking questions. We were hopeful that as she got older she might outgrow her allergy but her latest blood test came back as still being severely allergic to both and sensitive to peanuts but doesn’t yet require an Epi for that.
Old 01-16-2022, 12:16 AM
Master Fan

Figure this one out. I slept Friday night from 2am - 12pm. Went to a doctor's appointment, laid back down around 3pm. Slept until 11pm. Its 2:15am and I am eating for the first time in almost 35 hours. I am still super sleepy. I guess I am still catching up from when I was sick. Ugh.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:33 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Kayla - Most of my trips to Austin have been in the winter. I remember the first time going was during the polar vortex here, so it was like 10 below and then we landed and it was sleeting and like 33 in Austin. It was cold. Of course it was like 65 a few days later. But yeah, a lot of my experiences there are being in sixth street in the cold.

Kiki - have you tested for Covid? I know a lot of times its not showing up on the rapid tests but I had a friend who had it and literally had no symptoms other than she slept for like three days straight.

I went skiing yesterday after planning to paint and then painted instead this morning. I'm tired.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:15 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I will come back to comment. Watching the Cowboy game unfold. FYI, now is not the time to remind the baby minion that he was rooting for the 49ers to win last week. REALLY not the time.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:39 PM
Passionate Fan

I did absolutely nothing again today….ugghhh!!! In all fairness, with everyone home for the long weekend it’s just hard to get any cleaning done. I planned on reading this afternoon and ended falling asleep for 2 hours within only a few pages read. I hate when that happens but I guess I was more tired than I thought.

Kiki-maybe you’re just more worn out from being sick and your body just needs a lot of rest. These last 2 years have been incredibly stressful and I think everyone might just be worn out from the constant state of stress we’re always under.
Old 01-16-2022, 10:08 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Y’all. The ending of that game! WTF? I have NEVER, in my life, seen a game end like that! I suspect Jerry Jones will be on the phone to someone about changing that rule. Baby M is beyond heartbroken. So sad. He’s rooting for Green Bay next week, something I never thought I would see. I’m torn. I mean, as a Viking fan, I certainly don’t want to see Green Bay win. As the Momma to a Cowboys fan, I can’t want the 49ers to win either. Sophie’s choice.

My cousin has a peanut allergy. Quite severe. It’ll land him in the hospital if exposed. Allergies are no joke. It would scare me too to watch my child have an allergic reaction to something.
OM is allergic to grass, not anaphylactic, thank goodness. We learn the hard way, when she decided to play soccer. It was awful.

Skiing sounds way more fun than painting.

Kiki, have you had blood taken lately? Maybe you’re anemic?

We made progress in the office today! I found carpet! That’s an improvement.
All of Christmas is boxed up. It just needs to go into storage. That is progress for sure!
Old 01-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I'm a Lions fan so I've seen games end like that more than I care to admit. And Cowboys just getting their comeuppance for that playoff game against the Lions that the pass interference flag was just picked up, no explanation just picked up on a very obvious pass interference. So I laugh at the bitching fans. Sorry to Baby M but the rest of the Dallas fans can cry.

Skiing one day followed by painting the next means I have aches and pains everywhere today.

One of my good friends has a severe nut allergy. She was out to eat at a restaurant she trusted a few years ago and ended up having a severe reaction, had to use her epipen, taken by ambulance to Vanderbilt hospital. They said the only reason she probably was alive was because she was already on steroids for bronchitis she was recovering from. Scary stuff. I'm not allergic to foods but I'm allergic to some trees. I planted a blue spruce a few years ago and I wasn't even out of the nursery's parking lot after picking up the tree and my arms were covered in a rash.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Our local news showed a clip of the fans throwing trash onto the field and players after the game….WOW!!!!

A- how terrifying for your friend. Thank goodness she is okay. Food allergies are very scary & I can’t be there all the time for my daughter so I have to rely on others to read labels and pay attention to what she puts in her mouth. She is now at an age where she reads labels herself and if she doesn’t feel comfortable with something then she knows not to eat it. The real struggle is when friends try to give her food and she takes it without thinking. That scenario keeps me up some nights.

When I was working in the ER we had a lady come in one night who had eaten some kind of seafood that she was severely allergic to and knowingly decided to eat it anyhow and had to be brought in by ambulance for an allergic reaction. She could’ve cared less that it might’ve killed her and we just stood in the room thinking she was a moron while the dr lectured her about anaphylactic shock. I just don’t think that is something you can be reckless about especially with cross contamination issues at restaurants.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

My cousin, who is allergic to peanuts, ate one by accident once. He was offered a piece of candy, knew to ask what was in it, NO to peanuts was the answer, and he had to go to the ER. They were out of town at a baseball tournament, so not even in familiar surroundings. It was not how you want to spend your day.

I'm allergic to fish, not shellfish. So I always have to ask if crab or lobster is imitation...restaurants hate that question. My mom is allergic to almonds. It's scary when food can take you out.

Baby M got a haircut today! He looks so good. I think he lost 2 pound just cutting it. I mean, I'm never not amazed at how much there is.

OM starts classes tomorrow. She only ha to be on campus 6-9 three days a week, and that's not until after February 1st, for now. Everything else is online all semester.
She's looking now for an internship for the summer. She has a meeting with her adviser this week about it.

The pantry is completely done and dry. We reloaded it today. YAY! Everything is off my table!

OM discovered a game we didn't have...it's from Poland. It's called Skyjo and we really like it! Kiki, it's easy enough for your students to play it. That doesn't mean it's just for kids
When she first looked on Amazon, it was 35.00 and then she got an alert that it was 15.00. I arrived yesterday and I've beat OM twice.
I can't find my electric tea kettle, so I bought a new stovetop one. It arrives today and is so pretty. I'm waiting for it, not so patiently.

RTA: It's here! It's here! One beautiful tea kettle all for me!