Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Does anyone know when OotP will be available in paperback? I still haven't read it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Addicted Fan

They come out in paperback a year after the hardcover, so not until next June.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:06 PM
New Fan

Hey, new to this thread and as with everything i start anew i always find it a little intimedating to try and step into the conversation but i'm going to give it a try. I have no one to talk to about the HP books where i'm from so. This will be cool. It's like i read them there are all these ideas in my head but no one to tell them to. lol

I just finished OotP. I only started reading them in august and bought OotP when school started back so with school and work i haven't had much time but i really kicked it into overdrive recently and finishd it. I think it had to be by far my favorite. I mean i think PoA was the turning point in the series where things got darker, deeper so i really liked that one for that but it was just the information that we found in OotP that i loved. Especially w/ Snape and Harry i just loved their scenes.

Ah feels nice to get something out. haha Hopefully i'll be back to discuss more.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Addicted Fan

Hmm. I guess I agree that PoA was when it got darker, but I felt that the end of GoF was the real turning point - I feel like that's when Harry realized how serious it all really is and how deep in it he is.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

When were the Harry Potter books written?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:43 PM
Addicted Fan

The first one was published in 1998. The fifth one was published in 2003. There are still two more coming.

I'm glad this thread is back on top - I have lately been craving to read the 5th book again. I don't have my own copy, though. Waiting for the trade paperback so it will match my others. I wonder if my friend will let me re-borrow hers...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Addicted Fan

I have read all the books so many times.Harry potter nad LoTR are my favourites of all time..*sigh*..^_^.
but i'm still in denial about the ending of the fifth book..Must be something wrong with my copy... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Can't wait to read it in swedish though.. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Avie: Isis2015
Old 01-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Huge Harry Potter fan here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And also new to these thread. Hi everyone!

What is everyone's favourite book out of the five. I can't believe we have to wait for soo long for the sixth one.

Icon thanks to rossfangirl86
Old 01-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Addicted Fan

sassy pie -
I'm not sure which is my favorite. It was GoF, but I'm not sure if I liked OotP more or not. Generally speaking, I like them more as they go along, which I think is mainly because I'm an adult and I can relate to the kids better as they mature. From my perspective, their behaviour in all of the first three books was irrational.

Novlt -
I agree, something was wrong with my copy too. I think they must have sent out a whole shipment with the wrong ending. We should complain.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited Crossbow ]
Old 01-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Loyal Fan

Not new to Fan Forum, but new to the Books forum. Funny how that works.

Anyways, I think that the fifth book would have been my favorite except for two reasons that hold me back. One, Harry was so whiny. Hormones or something. I think they call that puberty. And two, because of the ending. You all know what I mean. So, GoF is probably my favorite or tied with PoA. Because everything was so intricate.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Dedicated Fan

Over the X-mas holidays, the majority of my cousins and I were deep in discussion about the books...it's sooooo great that the books are NOT just for kids, but adults as well. [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Regarding my favourite book of the series...POA, but OOTP is a slight tie...and it's NOT because Lupin is in both of them. I love all the characters equally, but if you threatened and forced me to choose one character, it would be my Lupin.

There are many things that I loved about OOTP -- Snape's Worst Memory, the sadistic and twisted Professor Umbridge, Luna Lovegood, the closeness of Harry & Hermione, Neville's development, as well as Harry's development. There are quite a few people who thought Harry was to whiny and angry -- well, let's see -- name one teenager who is not angsty -- furthermore, name a teenager who wouldn't be fed up with life, if their life was constantly threatened, and witnessed death in front of their eyes...Harry may be mature for 15 -- but he is still 15.

As for Snape, I do think it is his problem, not Harry's. From the first time we meet Snape he immediately picks on Harry (more than any other kid in the class). Harry immediately dislikes him based on that first potions lesson. Of course as the years progressed, Snape continued to bully and taunt, fueled by Harry's many unauthorized adventures. I don't blame Harry for not being able to trust him, and more importantly, accept him and his help. Trust is built on respect -- and Snape has never shown that towards any non-Slytherin student, especially Harry.

Furthermore, him seeing James in Harry is remarkably unfair and unjust. You've never seen Harry openly taunt, let alone torture another student (not even Malfoy - those were provoked, not unprovoked attacks). But the fact that Snape has difficulty in separating father and son shows the depth of these books. This is not children's fiction. This is humanity. In fiction, often things seem a little too 'black and white' -- there's a right and a wrong. But in reality, life is never like that -- it really is shades of grey. Everyone's viewpoint is different -- that doesn't mean someone's view is necessarily wrong, but it's misunderstood, misconstrued, and people make assumptions that that is really what that person is like. That's life... the hardest thing to do is to reach out, but it's just as hard to accept the offer.

It'll be interesting to see how the Snape/Harry interaction plays out...some unspoken agreement or an impasse??? It's what makes these books appealing to soooo many...

[ 01-07-2004: Message edited Lynea ]
Old 01-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Addicted Fan

"Whiny Harry" was realistic, but, as my sister put it, "I have to deal with whiny teenagers all day! I don't want to read about them in my spare time too!"
Old 01-13-2004, 10:15 AM
Addicted Fan

As a teenager I can say not all of us are as whiney as Harry. Harry was just becoming a little TOO egotistical and raging for me in this book. Though I do adore the sarcasm.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Deee:
<STRONG>As a teenager I can say not all of us are as whiney as Harry. Harry was just becoming a little TOO egotistical and raging for me in this book. Though I do adore the sarcasm.</STRONG>
They're not all whiney, but obviously teachers, like my sister, have to deal with whiney ones. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I didn't think he was too egotistical, although I did think he was missing the point of his "specialness." Everyone was trying to protect him, and the way he saw it, he'd proven over and over again that he could take care of himself. However, he also seemed to have forgotten, or not fully realized, that he had never taken on Voldemort at full strength, and in fact he'd never had to fight any full-grown wizard.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

Harry definitely was whiny in ootp but by the end of the book i had gotten used to it [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] He thought that everyone should treat him like an adult or whatever but he wasn't acting like an adult at all, if you ask me. He was complaining when people tried to take care of him and face it- he could have been nicer to snape. It's not all snape's fault that harry didn't practice.

Id hafta say that ootp or poa was my fav. its a close tie between those 2.

-Audrey Hepburn
Closed Thread   Post New Thread