Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raonaild:
<STRONG>
I was waiting for something along the lines of, "I'm sorry my father was so horrible to you, but I'm not him." Something where Harry actually told Snape how he felt about the memories he saw, that he was far from "amused" by what his father did, unlike Snape presumed.</STRONG>
Yeah I was hoping for something like that to happen as well but then i thought if it did happen i doubt Snape would believe him anyway since there is so much pain and hatred there.

----------------------------------------

Me fail English? That's unpossible
Old 10-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRickman:
<STRONG>Yeah I was hoping for something like that to happen as well but then i thought if it did happen i doubt Snape would believe him anyway since there is so much pain and hatred there.</STRONG>
Yeah but if they did that they would have resolved some tension and theres still two more books to go. I think it will happen just not yet.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Fireboard:
<STRONG>

Yeah but if they did that they would have resolved some tension and theres still two more books to go. I think it will happen just not yet.</STRONG>
Yeah, I hope so. It would be good to have them resolve some problems at the end of the series. Snape and Harry's relationship (or lack of) I find very facinating. I was very glad to read in the 5th book that they had a bigger interaction (occulmency lessons)besides just the small stuff in potion classes.

-----------------------------------

Me fail English? That's unpossible
Old 10-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Fireboard:
<STRONG>

Yeah but if they did that they would have resolved some tension and theres still two more books to go. I think it will happen just not yet.</STRONG>
Yes, I think so too. Still, it was frustrating to read the last quarter of the book thinking that it would be fairly simple for Snape and Harry to sort out their differences, and then Harry would have gotten Occlumency training he needed and things wouldn't have gone so wrong.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

It seems to me that Snape is the one who should apologize. After seeing so much of Harry's miserable childhood, I really thought he might empathize a tad. Besides, who is the adult here? I believe there is much more to the James/Snape story and look forward to it.

Laura
Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by spikenmefantasy:
<STRONG>It seems to me that Snape is the one who should apologize. After seeing so much of Harry's miserable childhood, I really thought he might empathize a tad. Besides, who is the adult here? I believe there is much more to the James/Snape story and look forward to it.</STRONG>
Snape is definitely not blameless. If anything, Snape is responsible for the whole situation, as it was he who started in on Harry first. It all seems pretty childish considering Snape is an adult and a teacher. Regardless of what more there is to the James/Snape story, it doesn't seem like appropriate behaviour on Snape's part.

Still, I wanted some reconciliation, and Harry offering Snape the olive branch of an apology would definitely have helped. Harry is the hero of the story, after all.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:35 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree - no matter WHAT happened between James and Snape, Harry is not James, and Snape is a grown man. I don't expect to see an apology, but I would like to see them at least work together.

Although ... it just occurred to me, Harry has always assumed the worst abot Snape. Because Snape doesn't like him, Harry always assumes he's evil. And at the end of OotP, when Harry tries to tell Snape that Sirius is in trouble, he assumes Snape either doesn't understand or won't do anything about it.

I still think it's Snape's responsibility to act like an adult and be civil to Harry, but I can see how Harry doesn't make it easy. Every time Snape turns around, Harry is accusing him of doing something horrible.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:49 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm quite enjoying the Snape sitch .. it's interesting to see how the past shapes the future of characters like Snape. It's so easy to feel sorry for him and what he went thru .. but so hard to for how he treats Harry. So I like the way it makes me think and question things .. makes the character feel even more real to me.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:20 PM
Master Fan

Okay, finally and being the last person in the world to do so, I have read the Sorcerer's Stone. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

It was cute, I liked it. Looking foward to reading the next 500 books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Old 10-12-2003, 08:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie99:
<STRONG>Okay, finally and being the last person in the world to do so, I have read the Sorcerer's Stone. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

It was cute, I liked it. Looking foward to reading the next 500 books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
That one was really cute. They get more serious, though. One of my favorite things is how the seriuosness increases with the reading level.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:25 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow:
<STRONG>
One of my favorite things is how the seriuosness increases with the reading level.</STRONG>
I agree .. the books appealed to a larger audience than one would expect .. but the first was targeted toward a younger audience .. then each seems to aim for a bit older group .. growing with the readers who first made the book a hit. So very cool. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Crossbow:
<STRONG>

That one was really cute. They get more serious, though. One of my favorite things is how the seriuosness increases with the reading level.</STRONG>
Good. I'll have to see if my library has the others.

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Old 10-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Obsessed Fan

just continuing on with the snape discussion as ive just discovered this book board today! *cheers* my life is complete [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] anyway...

yeah, i agree that harry always thinks the worst of snape but rightly so. i mean, what would u think in that situation? ur godfather may be close to death and the only source of help is, of all people, his enemy snape. then when u try to go to him for help, he yells at u to stop yelling foolishness at him. i mean, i suspected that snape was pretending to not understand at this point but really, from harrys point of view, u may have little to no time to save sirius's life and snape seems to be of no help. so, to sum that all up, its all snapes arrogant fault.

-Audrey Hepburn
Old 10-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

I don't think Snape is arrogant at all, he is feeling very content about this. He is pretty rude to Harry...but he has two reasons to do so:

1. He did not WANT Harry to like him. He certainly does not want to be liked at all.

2. If he treats him nicer...what will happen? Voldemort, other death eaters and Draco will know about his standing. Then he can no longer work for OoTP.

Besides all that, he did help Harry all the time, on life-threatening issues. Whether Harry hates him or not, there is no difference to him, and his work as a spy pretty much "needs" Harry to hate him.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Addicted Fan

He needs Harry to hate him, but in book 5 he let his hate for Harry get in the way of his work. He was supposed to be teaching Harry to block Voldemort form his mind, and if he had done it, then Harry wouldn't have led them all into that trap at the end.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread