Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 04:28 AM
Dedicated Fan

Everyone should read The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo. It is the sweetest most adorable love story ever. And thats all I'm saying

LoVe* Paire* Literati*Spuffy* Harmony
Harmony forever
CLICK ME(Twilight)
Old 05-29-2007, 12:26 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
I've heard so much about The Time Traveler's Wife but have never read it. I think that may be a book I need to go pick up sometime.
Haha, same here. I'm going to buy it from Amazon. I can't resist the temptation anymore.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

Does anybody happen to know any 'heartjerker' books? Thanks.

<3 jen
Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Master Fan

I always thought The Time Traveler's wife was a heart-jerker, also My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, were good for that as well.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:53 PM
Elite Fan

Almost anything from Jodi Picoult is very emotional and heartjerking from what I've heard.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM
New Fan

medical-suspense books from Tess Geritsen
Old 06-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Master Fan

Intensity by Dean Koontz if you like suspense type of books. Its a real page turner!

SATC
Old 06-05-2007, 08:46 AM
New Fan

For a leisure read (it's a short novel), I recommend "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." It's definitely one of my more recent favorite reads yet.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS (View Post)
Firstly, I wanted to ask about Alice Sebold. I have heard so much about both Lovely Bones and Lucky that I wanted to read them. However, I am not sure if I would be able to read them and finish them. I am quite sensitive in certain ways, and I don't know if I could bear reading about the rape in either books. I just wanted to know how disturbing people found the books. I was thinking I might be able to bear Lovely Bones as it is fictional but Lucky sounds emotionally draining.
I know this was posted a liong time ago but I though I might comment for anyone else who is interested.

Lucky by Alice Sebold is AMAZING! I didn't want to read it at first because I really struggle with rape.
However in Lucky the rape is addressed straight away. So By the end of the book that actual 'scene' isn't weighing on your mind, it is her amazing strength that is left with you.
It is all written in a very matter-of-fact kind of clinical way, but it is amazing.
Really really recommend it!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Time Travelers Wife is a stunning book, it’s got so much heart. I’m not reduced to tears very often but the ending reduced me to a speechless mess. I love romances but as a whole I’ve noticed that those categorized by such trivialize adversity and settle for clichéd endings. You won’t find that with Niffenegger . Her prose is powerful and her verse stunning. I was enthralled from beginning to end. I couldn’t put it down. One of my favorite novels.

As for The Lovely Bones, eh. Not to say that it wasn’t good, it was but it was so heavily lauded that after I read it I was kinda thinking ‘that’s it, that’s all’. I personally wasn’t too bothered with the way the rape was handled in the book because it’s over relatively quickly and though it’s a driving force in the novels it’s not it’s major point. I tend to heavily favor fantasy/sci fi as well as morality tales and classics so in the matter of this I might be slightly off point. I was disappointed.

I’d recommend any of the Dresden Files books to anyone really. They are smart, funny and a heck of a lot of fun.

Mandy
Old 06-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Extreme Fan

I recommend The GunSeller by Hugh Laurie, it is hilarious and a thriller. Anybody could read the book. It is great!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Which is better Pride and Prejudice or The Handmaid's Tale?

I know that Pride and Prejudice is a classic but I've heard more about The Handmaid's Tale. So which one is a quick read or is a compelling read from the beginning?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I’d go P&P. It’s iconic with it’s numerous film adaptations and such. Though, I would caution that if you haven’t attempted Austen before to start with something easier, like Emma.

Btw, your icon is love. Jareth/Sarah...

Mandy
Old 06-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Elite Fan

Mandy-
You said everything I planned on saying, darn you!

Everybody - I just have to say that yes The Time Travler's Wife is AMAZING, for me it was a little rough at the beginning but when I dove it, it took me over.
Also as for The Lovely Bones...I just had a time with it. I had just read The Five People You Meet In Heaven (If you haven't read it, you should at least get it at the library!) which was in a similar vein (Heaven, dead person as the main character, thats about it) but...yeah, I found myself annoyed by the ending of The Lovely Bones. It just didn't work for me.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
Old 06-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry Jilly.

You’re right, The Five People You Meet In Heaven does deal with similar subject matter. Mitch Albom is a very good writer, his style is very simple and thoughtful. Sometimes I enjoy superfluous language but sometimes and tale told simply effects the reader much more profoundly…like The Alchemist that book is magical.

Mandy
Closed Thread   Post New Thread