Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 AM
Extreme Fan

My boyfriend loves Douglas Coupland, actually it's his favorite author. See he has all of his books, well almost all of them and he has read the ones he has a few times already. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some similar books/authors so I can get him some new reading amterial.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookie306
I was never much of a reader (didn't hate reading, though) but I've recently gotten into reading a bit more. I'm looking for a certain genre though; gay themed books.

I do love a nice male/male romance story. I've read a few that I have liked (Last Summer by Michael Thomas Ford, and Three Fortunes in One Cookie by Cochrane Lambert) but others I have checked out, I was dissapointed in. I would just like to find a modern day male/male book with substance. I don't have much interest gay erotica that's all about mindless sex lol. Anybody have any recommendations?
Most of the gay themed books I've read are science fiction and fantasy, so I'm not sure if you would like any of those. Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley is really good, but some people didn't like the end (I loved it though). Grimsley is gay and all of his general fiction books have gay themes (I'm not sure about his two fantasy books though because they are out of print, so I haven't gotten to read them).

And of course, there's the Brokeback Mountain novella, but I found it really depressing.

There's also a gay couple who write gay romance novels together under the names Scott&Scott or Scott Pomfret and Scott Whittier. I haven't read them yet, but I've heard good things about them (and the covers are very hot).
Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Master Fan

Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson
Crank - Ellen Hopkins
Go Ask Alice - Anonymous
4,000 Days - Warren Fellows

brittany & santana
Old 07-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

TheAngel, thanks! I'll have to do that. In fact, I have checked out the recs over at amazon before. Though last time I checked, there wasn't anything that sounded too appealing to me (but that's my own fault, I'm so picky lol) but perhaps I'll check it out again.

Soz! Ohh, I have actually read Dream Boy by Jim Grimsley before . And while I didn't hate the ending, and I expected it (I was spoiled), it was too upsetting for me. I'm a whimp, ha. I also read Boulevard by the same author. Enjoyed it and I'd have to recommend that. As for gay themed books with sci-fi... at first, that genre didn't sound too appealing to me, but now I'm willing to look into those.

Quote:
Scott&Scott or Scott Pomfret and Scott Whittier[...] (and the covers are very hot).
I agree with that! I've seen the covers while checking the recs at Amazon. Didn't read the summaries, just looked at the covers

Once again, thanks to the both of you for the help.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 AM
LMS
Part-Time Fan

Firstly, I wanted to ask about Alice Sebold. I have heard so much about both Lovely Bones and Lucky that I wanted to read them. However, I am not sure if I would be able to read them and finish them. I am quite sensitive in certain ways, and I don't know if I could bear reading about the rape in either books. I just wanted to know how disturbing people found the books. I was thinking I might be able to bear Lovely Bones as it is fictional but Lucky sounds emotionally draining.

Secondly, I wanted to know if any good books about the history of the Palestine/Israel situation. I know the basics but wanted to know a bit more about what happened (i.e about all the stuff that happened just after World War II with the Jews being given some of Palestine etc...). Could any one recommend any good books on the matter?

~If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you. Winnie-the-Pooh

Last edited by LMS; 08-06-2006 at 01:14 AM
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

I just read a book called Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I really enjoyed. I can't really say much about it without spoiling it. I actually knew what it was about before reading it because I read reviews on amazon, but I think it would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't.

I also recently read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffengger which was amazing. It's a romance/sci-fi/drama I guess. It's about a man who time travels but doesn't really have any control over it. It's a really amazing and beautiful story.
We'd fry our brains and say it's so much fun
Out here
But when it's all over
I'll come back for another year
Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Supreme Fan

I've heard so much about The Time Traveler's Wife but have never read it. I think that may be a book I need to go pick up sometime.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Master Fan

everyone,

I've got an English project where I have to read (and analyse to death) an autobiography. I was wondering if anyone here knew any good autobiographies? Preferrably funny or interesting ones, since I'm doing this for school Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I've got an English project where I have to read (and analyse to death) an autobiography. I was wondering if anyone here knew any good autobiographies? Preferrably funny or interesting ones, since I'm doing this for school Thanks
Well currently I'm reading a biography on Audrey Hepburn that was written by Barry Paris. It's amazing! But of course I love Audrey Hepburn, so if you don't like her then it probably wouldn't be enjoyable. She did live an incredible life, like I didn't know she lived part of her childhood in a Nazi controlled city. The author's really interesting and really does his research on the person he's writing about. Other biographies he's written are Louise Brooks and Garbo if you like one of them better.

"I missed you." - "You know what I missed you too."
Amber LJ | My FanFiction | Twitter Icon by me.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:55 PM
LMS
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Were Infinite
everyone,

Some funny ones I can think of is Boy by Roald Dahl and Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes (the latter isn't strictly an autobiography but rather made up of different articles she wrote about herself). However, I am not sure if either would be considered appropriate for an English project. I found Wild Swans - Jung Chan is both autobiographical and biographical as it looks at the lives of the author, her mother and her grandmother during a troublesome time in China.

~If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you. Winnie-the-Pooh
Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

I would recommend everyone to read the Secret life of the bees by Sue Monk Kidd if you haven't already. The book is just great. I think it's one of the best I've ever read. It's just amazing, or at least I think so. Everyone should read it...!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicah
I would recommend everyone to read the Secret life of the bees by Sue Monk Kidd if you haven't already. The book is just great. I think it's one of the best I've ever read. It's just amazing, or at least I think so. Everyone should read it...!
I've heard of that book. What is it about?

For the others, I recommend 'A Handmaid's Tale' and 'Pride and Prejudice'. Two excellent books.
As for A Time Traveller's Wife - bloody excellent. Totally original concept. One of my favourite books of a couple of years ago.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I nearly bought that a couple of months ago, has anyone read it?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Daydreamer-
I just read a book called Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which I really enjoyed. I can't really say much about it without spoiling it. I actually knew what it was about before reading it because I read reviews on amazon, but I think it would have been more enjoyable if I hadn't.
I read that a few months ago and LOVED it. I'm sorry that it got spoiled for you on Amazon; it was nice gradually figuring out the situation as the book unfolded. I'd definitely recommend it though.

Other than that, I would recommend anything by John Irving...I'm just now finishing up The Cider House Rules. I can't decide if that, or A Widow for One Year, is my favorite.

icon credit
Old 08-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS (View Post)
Firstly, I wanted to ask about Alice Sebold. I have heard so much about both Lovely Bones and Lucky that I wanted to read them. However, I am not sure if I would be able to read them and finish them. I am quite sensitive in certain ways, and I don't know if I could bear reading about the rape in either books. I just wanted to know how disturbing people found the books. I was thinking I might be able to bear Lovely Bones as it is fictional but Lucky sounds emotionally draining.
I've never read Lucky so I can only comment on Lovely Bones. The rape scene is difficult to read, but if you can get through that, then it really sets the tone for the rest of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel (View Post)
I've heard so much about The Time Traveler's Wife but have never read it. I think that may be a book I need to go pick up sometime.
Yes, you should!!! It's a great book!
Old 08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Nab
Absolute Fan

I've been given a couple of gift cards and I'm wondering what to buy with them. I asked a friend and she recommended The Notebook, as she knows I thought the movie was sweet. I went to a couple of sites and the reviews were well, mixed. Is it a good read or does it fall flat when compared to the film?

Also, are The Time Traveler's Wife, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time any good?

Humor is an affirmation of dignity.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread