Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah, I read The Messenger after The Book Thief and I was personally a little disappointed b/c I didn't think it was nearly as good (The Book Thief is a masterpiece IMO), but it's still a fine book.

Zusak has a new novel coming out this fall though, so I'm looking forward to that.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Is Road to Avalon based back in Arthurian times?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 Umbrellas (View Post)
Yeah, I read The Messenger after The Book Thief and I was personally a little disappointed b/c I didn't think it was nearly as good (The Book Thief is a masterpiece IMO), but it's still a fine book.

Zusak has a new novel coming out this fall though, so I'm looking forward to that.
Wow. Thanks for the heads up! "The Messenger" is on my book list. I surely won't get my hopes up on that one. The Book Thief is just so unique, well-written and it pierces my heart whenever I remember what it's all about.

Anyway, I remember being equally disappointed when I got my hands on Audrey Niffenegger's "Her Fearful Symmetry" and Elizabeth Kostova's "The Swan Thieves". I loved the previous works by the 2 authors that I anticipated their next books, only for them to be somehow of a huge let down.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

How's the 2nd piece by Elizabeth Kostova's cause I've got her first book still need to finish it but like what I read
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hey, I was wondering if anyone has read 'Twisted' by Laurie Halse Anderson? Would just like a small opinion before I consider ordering it.

I know it's not perfect, but it's life.
Life is messy sometimes.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkative One (View Post)
How's the 2nd piece by Elizabeth Kostova's cause I've got her first book still need to finish it but like what I read
Her debut novel The Historian is absolutely fantastic, at least for me. I love that it takes you through history with every page, and it feels like you're reading a travel log of the protagonists of the story. To some, such style of writing might seem dragging and boring, what with the 'history lessons' and vivid descriptions of every place mentioned in the book. But as for me, I truly loved it. I was traveling vicariously with every place, cafe and scenery beautifully translated into words by Elizabeth.

Her second novel, The Swan Thieves, is also beautifully written. Instead of taking you through history, she exposes her readers to the wonders of Art. However, with regards to the plot and characters overall, I never cared that much for all of them. I never felt the same excitement to finish it, nor the same concern with regards to the protagonist of the story.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Supreme Fan

New thread!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Closed Thread   Post New Thread