Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

You said short stories... have you read any by Charlotte Perkins Gilman? I like "The Yellow Wallpaper"....

Or some by Ursula K. LeGuin....???? John Cheever?

I was recommended to read A Lady in Waiting but haven't started it yet.. .in fact, I haven't even purchased it
Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 AM
Passionate Fan

I am doing a pair text assignment for school, and I need to choose a book to compare to Jodi Picoult's My Sisters Keeper. The two books I am choosing between are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Any opinions on either book would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

For my Honors British Lit class I have to choose between Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, A Room with a View by E.M. Forster, and The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare. What do you guys recommend?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Loyal Fan

You like classics? My mom and sister love British classics! I could recommend a few for you--well the ones they raved about.

Dombey and Son-by Charles Dickens
basically anything written by Dickens...even if you can plough through Bleak house, and you might wanna check out Anthony Trollope.

I know you didn't ask, but I hope I helped!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Elite Fan

The Song of an Innocent Bystander by Ian Bone.

Quote:
Nine-year-old Freda Opperman returns to the Family Value Restaurant in Melbourne for a promised toy just as John Wayne O'Grady pulls out a shotgun, padlocks the door, and takes hostages. Like Patty Hearst, she is slowly brainwashed by this nutter who is angry at the industrial complex and intends his hostages to share his rage and go out to become fighters for his cause. Theo Constantine, the store manager, comes in for his particular animus. After 36 hours the siege ends with two deaths. This traumatic incident affects Freda and her parents, as we relive with her the initial madness and then its effect on her at ages 13, 14, 16, and finally at 19, when she is forced to face some horrifying truths about John Wayne O'Grady and about herself.
I thought it was an interesting read.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

I have two books I recommend, they both belong to the list of favourite books of mine.

First of all: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.
Definitely a tearjerker. I saw the movie and decided to read the book. The book most certainly is greater than the movie. It made me cry. It is one of my favourite books.

Second: Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger.
It is a very popular book, so I decided to read it. For those who haven't read it yet, I'd say, read it. It is definitely a great book, I do not quite know what attracted me to the book, but I loved it.

my emotions overload, because there is no hand to hold
no shoulder to lean on, I'm walking on my own

(34days)
Old 07-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Supreme Fan

I really like Catcher in the Rye as well. I read it Junior year, during the summer, for an honors English class and I really liked it. I need to reread it though. I only read it once and we didn't do much with it in class so I don't remember too much about it.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Passionate Fan

We had to read Catcher in the Rye freshman year English, and I really liked it. I normally don't like books I've had to read for school, but this is one of my favorites.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I was just recommended Lady in Waiting ... has anyone read it?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeanne
I am doing a pair text assignment for school, and I need to choose a book to compare to Jodi Picoult's My Sisters Keeper. The two books I am choosing between are Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Any opinions on either book would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
It's been awhile since I read Brave New World, but I remember enjoying it. I had to read it for AP English. It is very eye-opening and different from a lot of novels. In a way, it can be compared to 1984, without the paranoia. From what I remember, it discusses being the outsider and how it can cause problems but also break barriers.

I recommend Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. It's considered a young adult novel but I think it applies to everyone. It's an easy read so you can easily do it in a day or two. I think it just epitomizes what a true adolescent goes through and how they are often misunderstood.
Kate #144
SOD
Kate & the Star Whores
Dreams are like paper. They tear so easily. ~ Gilda Radner
icon by unknown
Old 07-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I've read My Sister's Keeper (last year) and The Handmaid's Tale (about 4 years ago). I haven't read Brave New World so I can't really help you out there. However, you can definitely write an excellent paper on comparing The Handmaid's Tale to My Sister's Keeper. You can find many, many similarities by analyzing both books and both the main characters and the storylines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant Karma
For my Honors British Lit class I have to choose between Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, A Room with a View by E.M. Forster, and The Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare. What do you guys recommend?
I've read Pride and Prejudice and The Merchant of Venice (I was even in a play on this when I was in elementary/grade school). I think that Pride and Prejudice is a really good book if you are not a fan of Shakespeare. P&P is a difficult book to read if it's your first "old English" novel, so take your time to fully understand it. The Merchant of Venice is an excellent choice, too. I enjoyed it (but I'm a huge Shakespeare fan).

As for my recommendations, I read an excellent book when I was in grade 10, called The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. It really makes you think about what our world could be like if we were ever to suffer a nuclear bomb and survive. It would take us right back to the 1800s in how we think. Here's a site that has Teacher's notes on the book (may be spoilerish).
Old 07-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I've read Brave New World and would recommend the book anyone. It's one of those books that should be on everyone's 'must read' list. It encompasses all our ideas about perfection and imperfection, utopia and dystopia. I remember reading it and being in awe at how Huxley was able to write this during the early 1930's when it seems more like something that would be produced today as a prediction of where the current world is headed.

I haven't read Atwood's Handmaid's Tale, but I've read her more recent novel that deals with utopia/dystopia - Oryx and Crake. All I can probably say about Atwood's work is that it may be more suited to you if you enjoy more contemporary novels. The prose of the novel is more that of today's writing, where it is a bit easier to read. Not that Brave New World is difficult, just that it may come across as a slightly heavier read. But of course that doesn't apply to everyone.\

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

There are all kinds of good reccomendations on here I wish I had all the time in the world to read.... actually, I guess I'm busy, but I do wish I had more time to read.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

I was never much of a reader (didn't hate reading, though) but I've recently gotten into reading a bit more. I'm looking for a certain genre though; gay themed books.

I do love a nice male/male romance story. I've read a few that I have liked (Last Summer by Michael Thomas Ford, and Three Fortunes in One Cookie by Cochrane Lambert) but others I have checked out, I was dissapointed in. I would just like to find a modern day male/male book with substance. I don't have much interest gay erotica that's all about mindless sex lol. Anybody have any recommendations?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Supreme Fan

Check out amazon.com. They have a whole section under books for gay and lesbian fiction, not erotica. You might be able to find some titles on there that interest you, especially since they normally have reviews or the like. I don't read anything like that so I can't recommend anything to you directly.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread