Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudypritz (View Post)
I don't know what happened either , but I think was never down for so long. It's really slow for me too
There was a time when it was down for around 3 weeks ...Three weeks! Can you imagine how frustrated/lost everyone was? LOL. withdrawal is really awful

Quote:
Yes, Dylan was being perceived as competition but I think that Brandon's proposal showed how far he was actually willing to go to prove to Kelly that he was serious about his feelings for her and marriage is the real deal IMO (the highest offer you can go when it comes to real committment).
Agreed, but I'd put marriage right next to having children. I'd even call having kids as a bigger commitment than marriage, lol. The best thing for me is that Brandon was willing to do both things for Kelly...He was so supportive when she thought she was pregnant and I'll never forget his face when Kel told him they had lost their child You could see that he really wanted that hockey team for them...and even Kel mentioned that he talked about having kids all the time. I think that's the ultimate proof of how serious he was about sharing a life with Kelly
Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree. I also hate that in S9 and S10, it seems like they made Kelly look as if she can move on from Brandon but never from Dylan.
This is true - it's one of the reasons why I have a hard time following these final seasons because it does too much revisionism on different things. To be honest, it feels like these last two seasons from the original belong in an alternate universe of their own.

Nice poem selection - I think it parallels the choice in the relationship department really well.

[QUOTE=Scarlet's Walk;49211865]There was a time when it was down for around 3 weeks ...Three weeks! Can you imagine how frustrated/lost everyone was? LOL. withdrawal is really awful

Quote:
Agreed, but I'd put marriage right next to having children. I'd even call having kids as a bigger commitment than marriage, lol. The best thing for me is that Brandon was willing to do both things for Kelly...He was so supportive when she thought she was pregnant and I'll never forget his face when Kel told him they had lost their child You could see that he really wanted that hockey team for them...and even Kel mentioned that he talked about having kids all the time. I think that's the ultimate proof of how serious he was about sharing a life with Kelly
Yeah, the reason I put marriage first is because I see that as the vital foundation of committment to stablize a family. A parent will always be a parent to a child and can walk away from the other parent just like some people divorce; however, you need that foundation between the parents to create a loving enviromment between the two so that the children thrive off of that. Of course, I'm talking beyond a 'piece of paper' but I think there is something different between 'just living together' and being married and having made a spiritual/legal connection through vows (before God and the one you love). I view the husband/wife bond bigger than just the boyfriend/girlfriend status with kids type of relationship. A marriage is a committment that is actively sought out, which I saw Brandon doing, whereas having children can just happen unplanned sometimes. Not that I don't still think that having kids is a beautiful bond to share with the one you love. It is but since I'm more traditional, I find that to be the next secondary connection after a marriage.

Of course, you're absolutely right about Brandon, though, and I think the fact that the pregnancy wasn't planned - is an extra added example of how committed to Kelly and a future he was. Brandon wasn't a guy who was just going to up and leave when an unplanned pregnancy came along, alot of other guys would have if they weren't really committed to the mother of the child. The news hit close to home when Kelly had that miscarriage.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree. I also hate that in S9 and S10, it seems like they made Kelly look as if she can move on from Brandon but never from Dylan.
This is true - it's one of the reasons why I have a hard time following these final seasons because it does too much revisionism on different things. To be honest, it feels like these last two seasons from the original belong in an alternate universe of their own.

Nice poem selection - I think it parallels the choice in the relationship department really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet's Walk (View Post)
There was a time when it was down for around 3 weeks ...Three weeks! Can you imagine how frustrated/lost everyone was? LOL. withdrawal is really awful

Quote:
Yeah, the reason I put marriage first is because I see that as the vital foundation of committment to stablize a family. A parent will always be a parent to a child and can walk away from the other parent just like some people divorce; however, you need that foundation between the parents to create a loving environment between the two so that the children thrive off of that. Of course, I'm talking beyond a 'piece of paper' but I think there is something different between 'just living together' and being married and having made a spiritual/legal connection through vows (before God and the one you love). I view the husband/wife bond bigger than just the boyfriend/girlfriend status, even if there are kids involved in that. A marriage is a committment that is actively sought out, which I saw Brandon doing, whereas having children can and does happen unplanned - even if you do have to committ to the parenting once it happens. Not that I don't still think that having kids is a beautiful bond to share with the one you love. It is but since I'm more traditional, I find that to be the next secondary connection after a marriage.

Of course, you're absolutely right about Brandon, though, and I think the fact that the pregnancy wasn't planned - is an extra added example of how committed to Kelly and a future he was. Brandon wasn't a guy who was just going to up and leave when an unplanned pregnancy came along, alot of other guys would have if they weren't really committed to the mother of the child. The news hit close to home when Kelly had that miscarriage.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 08-04-2010 at 12:23 AM
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrhmLz (View Post)
To be honest, it feels like these last two seasons from the original belong in an alternate universe of their own.
Nice way of putting it. I feel like I was stuck for 2 years and couldn't get out.

Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
I view the husband/wife bond bigger than just the boyfriend/girlfriend status, even if there are kids involved in that. A marriage is a committment that is actively sought out, which I saw Brandon doing, whereas having children can and does happen unplanned - even if you do have to committ to the parenting once it happens. Not that I don't still think that having kids is a beautiful bond to share with the one you love. It is but since I'm more traditional, I find that to be the next secondary connection after a marriage.
Fair enough. For me, I think it's certainly harder to be a parent after a divorce or separation, especially if the parent is not with the kids all the time. If the parents do care, they will do anything to continue being a part in their kids lives. But I do believe in your statement that the bond between a husband and wife is bigger than a bond between boyfriend and girlfriend. I think as oppose to the kids which is more of an obligation for the parent to be with, the marriage portion is something that can be changed or altered based on how one feels about the other person. Sadly, feelings can change that could alter the marriage in a bad way. That's why I believe that S8 probably wasn't a good time for BK to get married ONLY because of all the stuff that happened earlier that season. Please understand I'm not saying that these two should never have gotten married. They should and start the family they always wanted. If Brandon had proposed in S7, I think there's no reason why they shouldn't be married. Of course, if Brandon had stayed till the end, I want the wedding to be in the finale. That'll be the fairytale wedding I was looking for.

But being single in the spinoff made me very sad about Kelly who in the end, she feels like she has nobody. To me, she seems lonely and has to resort to be set up on a blind date by Debbie who by the looks of it doesn't seem to be even interested in her at all. I could never see it considering Kelly had more of her fair share of men to choose from in the original series. I always wanted Brandon to show up unexpectedly at that fancy party in the episode that Kelly appeared in the spinoff....the one where Debbie accused Kelly of making a move on Harry. That would've been nice.

Brandon - "Well, Kelly Taylor as I live and breathe."
Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmurray (View Post)
Nice way of putting it. I feel like I was stuck for 2 years and couldn't get out.
Yes, it felt like a completely different show with a new version of the same characters. I've actually been catching some repeats of these seasons on Soapnet on Saturday afternoon when I have nothing to do. Made me remember how much better the other seasons, in fact, were.

Quote:
I think as oppose to the kids which is more of an obligation for the parent to be with, the marriage portion is something that can be changed or altered based on how one feels about the other person. Sadly, feelings can change that could alter the marriage in a bad way.
Yes, true, which is exactly why I perceive marriage as the bigger committment because while obligation should/does exist within the marital state too, just like parenting, the difference is that it's much easier to walk away from. Maybe not always in the emotional sense, but there aren't any real legal ramifications to prevent you from doing so, unlike parenting, where one can actually be thrown into jail for non-payment of child support if they chose to walk away from their parenting responsibilites. It takes a real sense of honor and duty to really tough it out and not leave the marriage partner when things aren't all, in Kelly's words to Brandon in Mr. Walsh Goes to Washington, peachy weachy.

Plus, the marriage is the actual bonding for the man and woman - which is why I liked Brandon's move in that direction with Kelly. It's the important part of the family unit that is shared between just the two of them.

Quote:
That's why I believe that S8 probably wasn't a good time for BK to get married ONLY because of all the stuff that happened earlier that season. Please understand I'm not saying that these two should never have gotten married. They should and start the family they always wanted. If Brandon had proposed in S7, I think there's no reason why they shouldn't be married. Of course, if Brandon had stayed till the end, I want the wedding to be in the finale. That'll be the fairytale wedding I was looking for.
No, I completely understand you - I think it would have been ten times better for BK to have a handle on things first, not perfection b/c there is no such thing but a good handle on what they were willing to accept in each other and in their future together, before committing to their marital union. I hate divorce and would much rather that they work through their doubts beforehand rather than getting married and doing it after the fact. BK divorcing would have been the 'kiss of death' in my eyes - THAT's how significant marriage is to me.

Quote:
But being single in the spinoff made me very sad about Kelly who in the end, she feels like she has nobody. To me, she seems lonely and has to resort to be set up on a blind date by Debbie who by the looks of it doesn't seem to be even interested in her at all. I could never see it considering Kelly had more of her fair share of men to choose from in the original series. I always wanted Brandon to show up unexpectedly at that fancy party in the episode that Kelly appeared in the spinoff....the one where Debbie accused Kelly of making a move on Harry. That would've been nice.
You know, I actually happened to catch this episode not too long ago when CW was reairing episodes during this summer break and saw exactly what you are talking about. Was the guy some aerobics instructor? I actually felt kind of bad because the guy was showing more interest in Debbie, not any in Kelly whatsoever. Kelly has her son but, yes, in the end - the spin off really sucks for all of our original OTP pairings (BD, DK, BK, DD). None of them worked out in the end. Kelly and Brenda were both presented to be very lonely in those regards - they have their careers but not the men in their lives that I think should be there with them.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes, it felt like a completely different show with a new version of the same characters. I've actually been catching some repeats of these seasons on Soapnet on Saturday afternoon when I have nothing to do. Made me realize how much better the other seasons, in fact, were.
I remember when I was watching S9 and S10 for the first time. I was so tempted to channel surf.

Quote:
It takes a real sense of honor and duty to really tough it out and not leave the marriage partner when things aren't all, in Kelly's words to Brandon in Mr. Walsh Goes to Washington, peachy weachy.
Love that scene. I remember that Brandon was sad because he thought he wasn't gonna go to Washington. But all it took was for Kelly to say "peachy weachy" to him to get him to smile.

I think Brandon definitely wasn't gonna leave Kelly. If he was turning down job offers like he did in the beginning of S8 to be with Kelly even before the wedding, I don't think he'll leave her side at all if they were married. I love how he always thinks of Kelly whenever he has a big decision to make. To me, they were in this together.

Quote:
BK divorcing would have been the 'kiss of death' in my eyes - THAT's how significant marriage is to me.
That's something that I think the spinoff would've done without even second guessing it. That would hurt. Nothing's safe from the spinoff.

Quote:
Was the guy some aerobics instructor? I actually find kind of bad because the guy was showing more interest in Debbie, not any in Kelly whatsoever.
Yes. I think that was just to set up Harry leaving the show. I'm really not sure since that was the last episode I watched.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I remember when I was watching S9 and S10 for the first time. I was so tempted to channel surf.
Sadly, the only thing that really keeps me entertained at times is Dylan's drastic change in personality, I find it so unbelievable to watch I can't help but want to see it so I don't fall asleep with everything else that's going on. He treats Gina so crappy but at the same time, I loved watching her try to put him in his place. I feel so 'stuck' b/c it's also the very same thing I despise, the Dylan of the final 2 seasons.

Quote:
I think Brandon definitely wasn't gonna leave Kelly. If he was turning down job offers like he did in the beginning of S8 to be with Kelly even before the wedding, I don't think he'll leave her side at all if they were married. I love how he always thinks of Kelly whenever he has a big decision to make. To me, they were in this together.
I think of all the guys on that show, Brandon showed himself to be the most committed. He had his share of relationships and a few slip ups (Emma is just a freaking joke - don't want to go there b/c I find it to be pretty OOC Brandon and was used to cause a rift on purpose) but when he was in a committed relationship, he put his all into it and was in it for the long haul. When I think about it, most of the pre-BK relationships he was involved in, Brandon didn't have the wandering eye syndrome and at some point - the girl ended things for one reason or another (Nikky to go back home; the girl with her ice-skating career etc.) And even when he did have to end things, it was for a pretty good reason but it was never because 'Oops, I just feel like being with another girl today.' Emily went pyscho on him and Brooke turned out to be a personality clash on what they viewed as just and acceptable.

But in the end, I agree, I think BK had an excellent chance of being one of the successful ones. Any BK divorce, I feel, would have been OOC and forced just to create controversy or to get rid of storyline if Brandon or Kelly was leaving for good, but not together.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I feel so 'stuck' b/c it's also the very same thing I despise, the Dylan of the final 2 seasons.
Him and Matt did it to me most.

Quote:
But in the end, I agree, I think BK had an excellent chance of being one of the successful ones. Any BK divorce, I feel, would have been OOC and forced just to create controversy or to get rid of storyline if Brandon or Kelly was leaving for good, but not together.
I don't think they did a good job of pitting the Emma slipup. Brandon couldn't even think of a valid reason of why he did even did it.

I think a way for them to keep Brandon and Kelly together till the series ended without Jason was to have Brandon travel back and forth between L.A. and Washington. So, all the episodes following Jason's departure would indicate that Brandon was in Washington instead of L.A. that week. I know that many viewers wouldn't want to see that. But would you rather see that or the actual way that BK ended?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

Good image. I think it's great that of all the major couples, Brandon and Kelly are the pair who were hinted at in the very first episode.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 (View Post)
Good image. I think it's great that of all the major couples, Brandon and Kelly are the pair who were hinted at in the very first episode.
Thanks, I agree.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Good image. I think it's great that of all the major couples, Brandon and Kelly are the pair who were hinted at in the very first episode
This is very true the mutual cute at first sight was a great hint of things that were meant to come shows that the writers always planned to hook them up from the very first episode.

http://vimeo.com/user2087757
Old 08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYLANANDBRENDAFANATIC (View Post)
This is very true the mutual cute at first sight was a great hint of things that were meant to come shows that the writers always planned to hook them up from the very first episode.
I agree. But I'm glad they were able to established a well-rounded friendship before being a couple. Who would've known it was almost 5 years in the making? I like how the writers plug in several hugs, kisses, and smiles here and there between S1 and S4. I think the hints were made to give fans hope of being a couple but at the same time give the fans the hint that this may or may not happen. The hints and the flirting was never a sure thing to me until they actually got together. Think about it? Wasn't Brandon and Andrea the same hints?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I like how the writers plug in several hugs, kisses, and smiles here and there between S1 and S4. I think the hints were made to give fans hope of being a couple but at the same time give the fans the hint that this may or may not happen. The hints and the flirting was never a sure thing to me until they actually got together. Think about it? Wasn't Brandon and Andrea the same hints?
I think the writers would have started it earlier but they got side tracked by the stink bom that was DK and I didn't mind Andrea and Brandon but I thought they were pretty much done with the idea of them as possibley a couple by senior year. They should have started KB than they would have brought in the ratings and not detroyed the structure of the show the way the completely soapy relationship of DK destroyed it

http://vimeo.com/user2087757
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYLANANDBRENDAFANATIC (View Post)
I didn't mind Andrea and Brandon but I thought they were pretty much done with the idea of them as possibley a couple by senior year.
I love their friendship and the small attractions they had for one another in the first few seasons. But anything after that, I can't say much about unless I saw it happened. It could be good or it could've been a huge mistake. I really don't know. But did remind me of them was in S9 when Brandon said that he and Kelly were too much alike, kinda like the same half of a circle. I can't really pictured that with BK but I can really see that if with Brandon and Andrea. They both do well in school. They are both smart. These are all great things to have in common.

But the main thing that attracted me to BK in the beginning was that they seemed SO different. The gap definitely got smaller as they grew closer but still maintain their own identity and personality. Whether or not this works for all couples really DEPENDS on the couples themselves. But from my perspective Brandon and Kelly made it work. Brandon has his own storyline and Kelly as hers and its great when they meet in the middle. To me, they can always find a solution to help one another even when one doesn't feel like they fully understand the other one's problem. Just by letting the other person know that he/she's here for them, it's a wonderful feeling, knowing that somebody cares so much about you. Season 5 has some great examples of that.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I like how the writers plug in several hugs, kisses, and smiles here and there between S1 and S4. I think the hints were made to give fans hope of being a couple but at the same time give the fans the hint that this may or may not happen.
Subtlety is a big part of great romance. I generally don't want things to be crystal clear, as that leaves little to think about (this is why several "romances" on TV haven't worked for me in recent years). Instead, I like it when things are apparent, instead of obvious.

As for Brandon and Kelly, what you're describing certainly did work in my case. During the early seasons, I remember quietly hoping for these two to get closer (save for the period when Brandon and Nikki were together). I began to note all of their friendly interactions, hoping to see more.

I think that for many of us, the end of S4 was sort of like a gift.

Quote:
Brandon has his own storyline and Kelly as hers and its great when they meet in the middle.
This kind of writing has also been applied to Annie and Liam in the spin-off. They're the only pairing I'm a fan of in that show. Nice to realise that a Brandon/Kelly comparison can be made.

Quote:
To me, they can always find a solution to help one another even when one doesn't feel like they fully understand the other one's problem. Just by letting the other person know that he/she's here for them, it's a wonderful feeling, knowing that somebody cares so much about you. Season 5 has some great examples of that.
Good point.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread