Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Elite Fan

Sounds good to me, Troy [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Just a question: who do we consider conventional couple?
Jake/Ham
Bella/Scout
Bella/Sean
Will/Caroline
...anyone else?
Quote:
Originally posted by Half of Myself:
<STRONG>also, do you think we should have one site where all the fics are? or at least a site with links to all the eligible fics. </STRONG>
great idea. maybe we can have a site with all the fics at the SOA site?

What about Rules? The only ones I could come up with were the ones mentioned in this thread.
1. A fic needs three nominations to make it on the nomination list.
2. While nominating, you can leave as many fields blank as you want.
3. While voting, you can only leave two fields blank.
4. The best feedbacker category is optional, so if you leave this field blank, it will not count as one of your two blanks.
Any other ideas?
Old 04-08-2004, 04:52 PM
Master Fan

Sounds good Troy. Although I think the nomination/voting periods may be a bit on the long side? I think last time they were both two weeks and that seemed to work out well, plus people got more and more antsy as the days wore on. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Also not sure about
Best Adult Story - are there any in the time frame?
Best Songfic - I can only think of one (The Other Side by me)
Best Challenge Response - again only one (Bonds by Toria)
Best Unfinished Story - any recent stories unfinished?

I think the last time our conventional couples included:
J/H
B/S
B/W
Will/Caroline
Paige/Scout

and UC is just any couple who's not in the above list, and also includes couplings with original characters.

I think we should link to all the stories when the nominated list goes up.

1. A fic needs three nominations to make it on the nomination list.
2. While nominating, you can leave as many fields blank as you want.
3. While voting, you can only leave two fields blank.
4. The best feedbacker category is optional, so if you leave this field blank, it will not count as one of your two blanks.

These all sound really good. Maybe add a no-brainer:
5. Please nominate/vote only once. We realise this is hard to enforce but we trust the YA readers to honour the system. ?

[ 04-08-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Old 04-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversun:
<STRONG>Although I think the nomination/voting periods may be a bit on the long side? I think last time they were both two weeks and that seemed to work out well, plus people got more and more antsy as the days wore on. </STRONG>
ok, let's shorten it then. suggest a date? i forgot what i originally put....................

Quote:
<STRONG>Also not sure about
Best Songfic - I can only think of one (The Other Side by me)</STRONG>
there's one up at ff.net by Princess Lollipop called ]These Days

Quote:
<STRONG>Best Challenge Response - again only one (Bonds by Toria)</STRONG>
i think ness did one too. she took it down from ff.net but it's up again at simply fanfic. called Hamnesia or something - it's not up yet but i know she's sent it along.

Quote:
<STRONG>Best Unfinished Story - any recent stories unfinished?</STRONG>
one by Toria - More Troubles Than Most.

the couples and UC couples sound about right. the rules are fine, and i think you're right to put the last one in Nicky, just in case.

...Just be.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

This is just a guideline, but how about something like:

Nomination period: Saturday May 1 - Saturday May 16

And then we wait however long it takes for Troy to compile the nominations and get them up with links.

And then the voting period will be for two weeks from the time the nominations are announced? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2004, 04:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

that sounds fine. hopefully it won't take me too long to get everything together.

this is so exciting! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]

...Just be.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:07 AM
Elite Fan

So do we only leave Best Adult Story out?

What about this rule:
Only fics written or published after SOA3 (April 7th) are eligible to be nominated.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, we need to put that in Anja. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Ah, just remembered one:
In the case of episodic fan fiction (New Beginnings, Nicky's YA Episodes), each 'episode' is considered a separate story. This rule was established in SOA2.

Also, I want to ask, what general category should my (or NB's) episodes fall under? Because in SOA3, one of them was nominated under the UC category (405-Alterna), and another one was nominated under multi-couple/other (311-The Play). [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I think 311 was nominated as multi-couple/other because it didn't really focus on a main couple, and (to me) 405 is mainly about Ryder/Josh...but maybe that's just my impression. But maybe we could nominate the pairings when we nominate your fics (or NB's fics) for couples, like "I nominate Ryder/Josh in 405 for Best UC"? Just an idea.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by wolkenfuehlen:
<STRONG>and (to me) 405 is mainly about Ryder/Josh...but maybe that's just my impression. </STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] No, it definitely was meant to be a R/J-centric episode. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] So the episodes would be okay in whichever category as long as the nomination names the couple? That sounds good to me... but maybe I'm just too greedy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Elite Fan

So, are these our categories?

Best Conventional Couple Story
Best Unconventional Couple Story
Best Multi Couple/Other Story
Best Slash Story
Best Character Portrayal
Best Original Character
Best Angst/Saddest Story
Best Short Story
Best Songfic
Best Challenge Response
Best Overall Story
Best Unfinished Story
Best Author
Best Feedbacker (optional)

I'm still not sure about Best Songfic and Best Challenge Response. There have only been 2 stories for each category. And if one of them doesn't get 3 nominations, the other wins. This bothers me.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by wolkenfuehlen:
<STRONG>I'm still not sure about Best Songfic and Best Challenge Response. There have only been 2 stories for each category. And if one of them doesn't get 3 nominations, the other wins. This bothers me.</STRONG>
I'm glad somebody brought that up. Frankly I'm not comfortable with that either. We have a very small pool of fics to choose from in the first place, and having this many categories threatens to thin out the pool even more. I just don't like the idea of having so many categories that are almost pointless. Since it's an awards, you want there to be at least some competition and IMO, two fics just aren't competition. And lest we forget this is before the nomination process even began. I'd feel perfectly fine with only two fics being nominated in a category, but in our case here, there are only two fics, period. I just don't see a point to it.

If this is a democratic process, I vote for the songfic and the challenge response categories to be removed. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

I can also only think of one 'slash fic proper' (Shades of Grey at ff.net) that's eligible. Or maybe I'm just blind?

Hmm... need somebody to make award graphics. In SOA3 Gis was kind enough to make separate award graphics for each category but if that's too time-consuming, we could always go back to the likes of SOA2 and have one standard graphic on which the awards and the award winner would be printed.

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

Old 04-11-2004, 03:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

ok, so no songfic, adult or challenge categories. and i think you're right about the slash, too, there's just one. should we give an award just for that? seems kinda mean to leave it out just because it's the only one. i vote we make an honourary award or something.

i had something else to say, but i've forgotten it..............i'll get back to you..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

...Just be.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Half of Myself:
<STRONG>and i think you're right about the slash, too, there's just one. should we give an award just for that? seems kinda mean to leave it out just because it's the only one. i vote we make an honourary award or something.</STRONG>
I don't know about this honourary award thing. That has never happened before and even if we introduced one, I really think it should go to a special, special fic that almost everyone has read and loved, like one of Depudor's ones. Granting a fic an 'honourary' title when it hasn't done much doesn't sound right to me, but then perhaps the difference I'm identifying is a purely semantic one.

My suggestion is why don't we just meld the slash category into the UC category? Slash is obviously UC, it was just that in the previous awards, there were enough slash fics being written to warrant a separate category. Now there aren't and melding just seems like a logical next step. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

Old 04-11-2004, 06:14 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>My suggestion is why don't we just meld the slash category into the UC category? Slash is obviously UC, it was just that in the previous awards, there were enough slash fics being written to warrant a separate category. Now there aren't and melding just seems like a logical next step. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
This sounds good to me. As you said, Slash is UC.
Quote:
Hmm... need somebody to make award graphics.
I could do it if you want [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

ETA: Does anyone have anything to add to the site?

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited wolkenfuehlen ]
Old 04-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Master Fan

Site looks awesome Anja. [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

Just one tinsy winsy thing that maybe you could change to the rules? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And this is obviously self-serving and I'm not even gonna pretend it's not, but please consider adding the bit in italics? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
"8. The following couples are considered Conventional Couples (CC). Every other pairing (including slash and couplings with original characters) is an Unconventional Couple (UC)"