Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
J.R. MacReady We're bunch of SPN nerds.
LOL, I noticed .

____

Well this episode was a smorgasbord of previous episodes and then some. I really didn't know how it was going to down. It really felt like the previous episode, "Fallen Idols", combined with elements of S1's "Hell House" and S4's "Monster Movie", if only for its humor and the "what the hell is going on?"-ness of it all.

And with the ways things were going in this episode, I almost came to the conclusion that the Trickster was behind all the whacky and gruesome things going on in that town and wondered how they were going fit all those hijinks that they showed in the "Soon" trailer in the last twenty minutes of the show. I mean, they'd used the first 15 to showcase just how baffled the Winchesters were when they got their hands on the Buzzer of death and fine cooked ham, scratched their heads after learning the baby-sitter just scratched her brain out (among other things) and other seemingly harmless things turned deadly/harmful.

I also found myself wondering where the hell Castiel was in this episode while suspecting the chubby kid who had the babysitter was the "boy" in Episode description in question. I was quite surprised to find this seemingly sweet, but quite capable little boy by the name of Jesse was the one responsible for everything happening in the town. And funnily enough, all because he believed a few white lies told to him either by his parents or his friends (assuming he has any outside of his parents).

I loved that Dean was the one who caught onto the connection between the incidents and the boy though; usually it's Sam who's quick to pick up the trail of these things. I actually freaked out when Dean decided to test his theory on his brother and zapped him with the now harmless zapper. I sighed so loudly with relief, it wasn't funny. I seriously expected to see a smoky haired Sam on the ground, glaring at his brother, assuming the jolt didn't kill him.

Like Jo's presence in "Good God Y'All", Castiel felt rather unecessary in this episode, especially since he just showed up nearly at the last couple minutes and gets turned into a figurine afterward and isn't present until much later into the episode, near its very end. Guilty, I'm just on the second disk of Supernatural's Fourth Season, so Imagine my surprise to find out that Castiel was the one who let Sam out of the Panic Room, because I'd been under the impression Dean or Bobby had let him out after some change of heart. With that said, I find myself regarding Castiel with a new perspective on the entire "Sam Started the Apocalypse" situation. Who the hell wasn't in on that debacle of a plot to rid the world of humanity by rising Lucifer?

I find myself unable to really be angry at Sam anymore, I mean, yes, I get grouchy whenever I see him doing something I don't agree with in Season 4, but watching Season 5, its easy to forget, especially at this point, because Sam's [almost] gone back to his usual likable self from the second and third season. He had good intentions, he just went the wrong way about getting things done. That I much I can see, that much he's admitted to and is working like crazy to make amends for. and I do agree with the previous poster who brought up the fact that both Sam and Castiel were used to an certain extent by their "superiors", as a means to their ends, even if both characters were probably aware that most of what they were doing, was wrong.

That aside, I was quite surprised to learn that the Demons (and I'm gonna guess the male demons, assuming the SOBs even have genders once they've become corrupted) in this show can impregnant a woman by simply possessing their bodies (I got that implication correct), thus creating the unholy harbingers otherwise known as "Hell Spwan(s)". That freaked me the hell out. I felt terrible for Jesse's mother. I'm not familiar with the actress, but she did really well in that role.

The same can be said of the boy who portrayed Jesse; He gave a really great performance as well, probably the best out of anyone in that entire episode. When he went upstairs to say goodbye to his parents, I assumed he was going to wipe any memory of him from their minds to make it easier to leave, or keep the Demon's off their doorstep. Nope, he just vanishes (probably to nice place on the poster on his wall) and rights everything he messed up.

Overall I enjoyed that episode. I can't wait to see next week's episode.
family bonds are never meant to be broken."
- The Farron Sisters
J.R. MacReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolife (View Post)
Thanks i'll ask .Im from one small contry in Europe and when we you watch Spn i sleep
Time zones are hard to get my mind around, I always mix up the days. But as long as you get to watch SPN all is good.
Jensen&Jared
s o u l m a t e s
Tennessee Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Pretty much late but I guess better late than never.

Good episode. I liked it but didn't like it. I guess, I just didn't like it that much. I'm weird. Anyway, so much for giving Castiel a chance. I'm done with him. No one, I mean, no one (well, except for Dean) could talk to Sam like that. Castiel needs a padddywhack. He's acting all God-like now. OMG! He's no different from Uriel, Zachariah and the other disgusting angels. WTF?!

Quote:
He didn't kill the woman "just to take her blood". He killed the woman because he had no other alternative and used her blood to destroy all the rest of the demons that were inhabiting other hosts.
I have nothing else to say as you took the words out of my mouth.

Quote:
It's not about the intentions thing. It's about the fact that Castiel himself chose the wrong side. Which makes him a hypocrite when he faults Sam for taking the "wrong" side. Especially when he originally chose the wrong side when he sided with the angels and started the apocolypse.
Actually, speaking of 'free will' I guess angels didn't have free will because they act according to God's law. Maybe that's why Castiel did open the door. Though, I wouldn't just excuse him of doing that because he was able to turn his back to Zach and he chose it. So yep, I guess I'd negate my first reason that the don't have the free will to defy God's law. The difference between Cas and Sam is that Sam is clueless to whatever the outcome is (oh well, he knew he's going to prevent the apocalypse) but Cas knew exactly what's going to happen. So if we talk about the 'intentions' thing, we can all discuss it here but in the end Sam's intention was good, Cas is just plain obedience (even if he knew it isn't good.)
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Elite Fan

I'm pretty late to the review thing too, but here I am

It was a good episode, I liked it, but it wasn't such a wow episode kind of thing. I loved that it felt like some of the episodes of the prior seasons, that Sam and Dean working together again, as a team. I liked that there were funny bits again like the old seasons, negates from all the seriousness of the episode.

It was interesting that they explored the whole half demon-human thing, that this seemingly sweet innocent kid could destroy the world if trained by the wrong people. The actress and the kid were really good in their roles. I liked that they showed that Sam still believes that someone could make the right decision and that he is on the constant path for redemption.

Castiel seemed unimportant in this episode He wasn't used well, it seems like they just wrote him in. I didn't like how he reminded Sam of his wrongdoing, while yes, what Sam did was still wrong, I didn't like how it came across.

I love that Sam and Dean are working together again

Hiatus for one week

av
Mei Zhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Cy'
Part-Time Fan

I like the kid's power^^ So powerful when he said "Sit down and shut up" ^^ Quite good episode.
Cy' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Passionate Fan

I know I am a little late to comment this episode but I couldn´t do it before.

I like it - I don´t say I love it but I like it. Jess was really good and an excellent child actor!

I like that Dean and Sam were at ease with each other. But I agree with you that Castiel was wrong talking to Sam the way he did it. As you said before Castiel was the one who opened the door to the panic room. And he was the one who had all the infos and knew what will happen when he release Sam. Sam was a highaddicted at that point and it was cristalclear that he would go to Ruby. Even Anna asked him what he did. He looks unhappy and sorry but that didn´t change the fact that he was just as guilty as Sam and Dean for starting the apocalypse. He knew about Lilith being the last seal - Sam and Dean didn´t. And for him to blame only our brothers is unfair and totally wrong. Both admitted their mistakes already but Castiel didn´t. So I think it is time for him to take his mount of blame, too.

And I was a little sad that Dean didn´t told Castiel that he has no right to talk like that with Sam. Before season four Dean would have defend Sam to anybody - it is sad to see that it isn´t like that anymore.

I can understand why Dean did it and I don´t blame him really for not doing anything but it made me sad to realise that these times are gone.

OH and I forgot that I love the speech Sam gave Jess. And I love that it was Sam who got the boy to listen to him and stay on the good side. It was about time that the old Sam was seen again. His empathy for this kid was one of the reason why he could relate to him and find the right words which got through to him and helped him to choose the right side.

Whoever took this photo in my avatar please let me know and I give you credit for it.

Last edited by sunny214; 10-20-2009 at 08:32 AM
sunny214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Passionate Fan

My favorite line EVER in this episode is when Jesse said to the demon mother, "Sit down and shut up!"
michelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Absolute Fan

sunny214: I basically agree with everything you said

You'll sit alone forever, if you wait for the right time. What are you hoping for?
beatlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlette (View Post)
sunny214: I basically agree with everything you said
I echo the same review.
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

definitely agree with sunny too! especially the first big paragraph
& it hits me when the lights go on. s---, maybe i miss you
miss you by louis tomlinson
BUY IT ON ITUNESSTREAM IT ON SPOTIFY
▌casey · © ·
wicked games is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:41 AM
Master Fan

I liked this episode. Jesse is an interesting character. I liked that boys were giving him a chance to choose the side of good. I mean, the kid was raised as a normal little boy.
obisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I thought this was a good episode, it reminded me of some of the older SPN episodes and was a nice break from the bigger SL this season. I liked the kid actor, I thought he was good. Dont really blame him for running away, but I think Castiel was right and that he probably needed to die unfortunately.

I liked the brother moment at the end of course.

Nothing else to say about the episode really!
Alexa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 12:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Tom Welling

Aww. This was a good episode. Jesse was a sweet kid, not his fault he's half demon. Felt sorry for the mother, when she was first possessed and gave birth that must have been an awful experience for her. I loved how Sam got through to Jesse instead of the demon possessing his mother. It's interesting how he seemed to love his adoptive parents considering it seemed like they would leave him alone at home all day.
Reply   Post New Thread