Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

true, and Dean does seem to listen to elders he knows, which is a good/bad thing.

av
Mei Zhuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:50 AM
Master Fan

It all comes down to trust. Dean doesn't care about any external authority, unless it's from someone he knows and trusts.

icon by lunas_borednow
Anla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Elite Fan

yup, so true. He;s usually receptive only to people he knows, otherwise he doesn't care or take orders from those he doesn't know

av
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Master Fan

It's interesting - Dean's so resistant to authority in general, yet when it's John or Bobby, he'll do just about anything they say, because he respects them and cares about what they think.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Master Fan

I don't think Dean has a problem with taking orders or with the consept of authority generally.
I think his issue is more about where it comes from and under what rules it abides by
Folie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM
Master Fan

I think that Dean is naturally inclined to go against whatever authority he comes across, if that authority is from "normal society".

But if it's from another hunter, one he respects and trusts? Totally different.

Even with more traditional authority, it is capable to earn some trust with Dean. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that he would necessarily follow their orders, but for instance, he did develop respect for Kathleen the deputy in Benders. Because they were both in the same situation, trying to take care of their brothers.

I wonder about Deacon. He clearly knows about ghosts and the supernatural, and has a past history with John, but doesn't seem to be an actual hunter. Wonder if he ever was, or if he just knows about it. I wouldn't mind seeing him again - liked his interactions with the boys, the mutual respect with Dean and the way he told them their dad would be proud of them.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Elite Fan

I'd like to know more about Deacon too, I have like the same questions with Anla

And true, I think Dean doesn't really have a problem with the concept of auhority, but it's more about where the authority comes from and the situation

av
Old 07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Master Fan

Seeing as Deacon is John's army buddy, I would think he isn't or never was a hunter. After all if that was the case I'm sure he could have handled a haunting on his own.
Plus the people in John's life and past before Mary's death were not hunters, and seeing as Deacon is from that era I would much rather he wasn't involved. It makes John and the story more layered and realistic if not everything is about hunting.

My guess would be he encountered John after he became a hunter and must have somehow seen him in action, to actually believe what is out there.

.... Apologies... this post is way of topic for this thread.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Master Fan

I'd agree that Deacon isn't actually a hunter. But I still want to know how he knows about the supernatural world, though.

And to try and tie it in with this ep (at least on a tangent ), wonder if Bobby knows Deacon? Bobby seems to know just about everyone involved in the hunting world.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Master Fan

I don't think one can consider Deacon as a part of the hunting world and community. I personally would put him in the "civilain who has seen and accepted the truth about what's out there" category. So unless John has introduced him to Bobby somehow (which is not impossible just, IMO, unlikely, especially considering how much John liked to compartmentalize his life) I'd say probably not.

... Again... Apologies for the OT

Getting back on track here....
How long ago would your estimate on Bobby's story taking place be?
Old 07-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Master Fan

I think that even knowing about the supernatural, possibly being saved, does put you in the world of the hunters, even if only on the far perimeter. Unlike the vast majority of the world who has no clue that these things exist outside of horror movies.

My estimate on when Bobby's wife died? I'd say maybe twenty/twenty-five years ago or so. Long enough ago that Bobby knew what he was doing when the boys were still young (the whole "Uncle Bobby" thing from the Christmas flashbacks) and was someone John would have gone to when he started hunting himself.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anla (View Post)
I think that even knowing about the supernatural, possibly being saved, does put you in the world of the hunters, even if only on the far perimeter. Unlike the vast majority of the world who has no clue that these things exist outside of horror movies.
But then would you put all the other people the boys have saved and have accepted the fact that thre are things out there, in the hunting world too, like the guy who called Dean for help in Phantom Traveler, or Jennie from Home, or Micheal, or Lucas and Andrea?
That's a lot of random people that Bobby hasn't met to know
I can see Bobby knowing people who are and function in the world but aren't actually hunters (Ash, Missouri, Rufus, Bela). These people are a part of the community, no argument there, and it is a tight one so Boby knowing them or of them, more than probable.
But all the saved people and the civilians who are aware but don't have any active part in the world or the job? I guess for me that is a different category, and that is where I'd put Deacon by what we've seen of him.

Quote:
My estimate on when Bobby's wife died? I'd say maybe twenty/twenty-five years ago or so. Long enough ago that Bobby knew what he was doing when the boys were still young (the whole "Uncle Bobby" thing from the Christmas flashbacks) and was someone John would have gone to when he started hunting himself.
That's really close to my guess too. I think I could give it a 25-30 year opening too. I believe we could have a better feel if we knew Bobby's age.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie (View Post)
That's a lot of random people that Bobby hasn't met to know
Well, I was mostly kidding about Bobby knowing Deacon - just trying to keep the conversation somewhat on topic for this ep.

Still, I don't consider it impossible that he would know Deacon, because Deacon was a bit more active than just the usual "victim" whose been saved. He put together that it was something supernatural, apparently had a fairly good idea of what it might be (even if they were wrong about who the ghost was) and knew to contact the boys. So I wouldn't put him in quite the same category as Andrea or Hayley or the kid from Bugs - we've seen no indication of them taking any actions later on. (Of course, that could just be due to a lack of appropriate situations.)

(And you know what? Maybe Bobby does know all those people. I mean, Bobby is just awesome enough that he could. )

But I do think that it's hard to just forget about the supernatural world once you've been touched by it, even if as a victim who needs to be saved by a hunter. You'd notice things you wouldn't before, probably do things you wouldn't previously. And in that regard, I do think that they're on the fringes of the hunters' world.

Quote:
That's really close to my guess too. I think I could give it a 25-30 year opening too. I believe we could have a better feel if we knew Bobby's age.

Quite possible. The only clue we really have is that he was "Uncle Bobby" to the boys in the Christmas flashback, so we know he was hunting at least that long.

icon by lunas_borednow
Old 07-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
(And you know what? Maybe Bobby does know all those people. I mean, Bobby is just awesome enough that he could. )
Now don't get me wrong, I love Bobby to pieces and I think he's godsend, but I guess I could draw the line of his awesomeness here....

Quote:
Quite possible. The only clue we really have is that he was "Uncle Bobby" to the boys in the Christmas flashback, so we know he was hunting at least that long.
And I would also assume longer than John too. Quite a bit longer... so probably we're talking over 25 years.
Man! Now I really want to know

Anyone else sad we didn't get to hear his wife's name?
Or did we and I missed it? I'm pretty sure they didn't say it. Bobby called her "Baby" and when they were just refering to her as "his wife."

Now that's another thing I want to know x2
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie (View Post)
Now don't get me wrong, I love Bobby to pieces and I think he's godsend, but I guess I could draw the line of his awesomeness here....
There is no limit to the awesomeness of Bobby.

Quote:
And I would also assume longer than John too. Quite a bit longer... so probably we're talking over 25 years.
Long enough that John would go to Bobby for advice when starting up. At least, that's the impression I always had (possibly from the whole "Guy knows his stuff" thing from Dean when we first met Bobby - that made me think of Bobby as the guy they're used to going to for research and advice when necessary).

icon by lunas_borednow
Reply   Post New Thread