Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2013, 01:36 AM
Master Fan

The news we have been waiting for, THR is reporting that it was confirmed that Rachel is set to be the female lead in "Passengers" at the AFM earlier this week:

Quote:
In May, distributors rushed to buy sci-fi epic Passengers when Witherspoon became attached to star opposite Keanu Reeves. The Weinstein Co. struck a multiterritory deal with Exclusive Media. But then Witherspoon dropped out. On the eve of AFM, it was announced that Rachel McAdams is now the female lead.
It's an article about how big names get buyers more interested in buying the rights to movies. I have to admit that I find it a bit odd that this article gives the impression buyers were so eager at the Cannes market because Reese was attached. From what I understood of the articles from May is that the script was the main reason there was so many interest.

Anyway, excited about this confirmation. Although, like the article points out back in May Witherspoon was confirmed and presented at the Cannes market so I guess, like before, still things can happen?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

I was just browsing the Hollywood Stock Exchange page for Passengers, and came across a link to the My Entertainment World website, which suggests that filming might also take place in Montreal:

PASSENGERS - January, 2014 - Montreal, Canada and/or Germany; Details Are only Available By Subscription.. STORY: The film is set in the future and it is about Jim Preston, a mechanic on a 120 year journey to a distant colonized planet in another galaxy is prematurely thawed from a cryogenic slumber a century before anyone else. (Posted: October 29, 2013)

This information was posted a few days after news of Rachel's involvement broke, however I'm not sure how accurate it is, and given that filming was originally scheduled for Montreal anyway, this could just be an amalgamation of all the previously reported information that has been released. I don't know what sort of additional detail is provided for somebody with a subscription to the website, but I'm assuming it's probably very little given how scarce these type of specifics have been thus far.

Hopefully we get an official press release soon to clarify these details for us.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

That's interesting Nick, thanks for posting! It does make sense to me if it's going to be Germany and Montreal/Canada because that would mean Rachel is also able to spend some time back home maybe. It's kind of unlike her to film movies back-to-back.

I think it's safe to say they are filming in Germany since that was reportedly the reason Reese dropped out of the project.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the new info, guys! I'm SO EXCITED!!! I mean, I know things can always happen~ but I am ssoooooo pleased that this one seems like it's for real going to go down. UGH. SO PUMPED.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

Variety still mentions Reese in their AFM market article:
Quote:
Alex Walton, president of international sales and distribution for Exclusive Media, pointed to “Passengers,” the indie sci-fi drama with Keanu Reeves and Reese Witherspoon starring. The Charlize Theron starrer “Dark Places” closed a raft of foreign sales and Exclusive saw elevated interest in supernatural thriller “Shomer,” with Aneurin Barnard as a shomer, required by ancient biblical law to stay with a corpse, which turns out to be possessed by evil.
AFM Adjusts to Life After Focus Features Int’l | Variety
This actually worries me a little bit, since Variety usually gets their information straight
Old 11-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Master Fan

From The Film Stage:
Quote:
'Passengers,' the sci-fi drama starring Keanu Reeves and Rachel McAdams, will open on April 3rd, 2015.
https://twitter.com/TheFilmStage/sta...64951933386752
And Box Office Mojo confirms it, so no 2014 anymore but I guess that makes sense since they are expected to start production in February/March.

ETA: Filmstage replied to someone saying the TWC was the source for the release date announcement, I wonder if this means a press release is under it's way

Last edited by winterbird; 11-15-2013 at 03:48 PM
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for the news, Lindsey! Very exciting! Setting a release date is probably just further confirmation that the project and Rachel's involvement is pretty much confirmed.

Although it is strange to note that Passengers is Rachel's only upcoming film that actually has a release date - yet it's the only one which hasn't yet started shooting!

Kind of glad that it isn't being released next year, as Rachel's year would have been pretty hectic otherwise (assuming AMWM, Untitled Hawaii, ETWBF and Little Prince all still get 2014 releases), and she might not have had any time to attach herself to other projects. Is that selfish?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

What an awkward time to push a movie though. It's like that bit when it's not so summer blockbuster, but sort of the time for semi-award-worthy indie-ish movies... o__O
Old 11-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Master Fan

Maybe they're hoping for the awards thing??
Old 11-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Master Fan

I'm feeling the same way Nick I do think Little Prince will get a 2015 release since the production is suppose to be until September 2014 unless they are going for a Christmas release? I still think Little Prince would be perfect for a Cannes 2015 release though

I agree with everyone on the release date. It gives the impression TWC is aiming for a box office success and not really an award season one. Harvey himself said recently if you want award season buzz you have to have festival exposure, and only Berlinale is before April.

But maybe they are just going for a box office success for now, and they might change the date again when the test screenings go well? Like Universal did with About Time, they pushed it back months to the fall to get festival exposure. I mean setting a date this early, still a lot can change. And a movie like this probably also needs more time in post-production so a late 2014 seems impossible.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Master Fan

I was thinking that too, that it does seem quite early to take the release date that's been announced as gospel. Any number of things can happen to change that.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 AM
Master Fan

I thought this paragraph from Coming soon was interesting:
Quote:
[...]Although 2015 is already getting incredibly crowded with big tentpole movies, oddly no movie has grabbed any dates in April as of yet, although Guillermo del Toro's ghost movie Crimson Peak is rumored to open that month (despite also having not started production yet).
Keanu Reeves' Passengers Gets 2015 Release Date - ComingSoon.net
Old 11-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Box Office Mojo have confirmed that Insidious Chapter 3 will also be released alongside Passengers on April 3, 2015.

The second Insidious movie was a surprise hit a few months ago when it opened to just over $40 million at the US box office, so it will definitely offer some competition.

Having said that, this is almost a year and a half away, and neither movie has commenced filming, so lots could change before then.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:02 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the update Nick I agree, lots can happen but I'm happing we have a date for now. It's funny that this one has a date but AMWM, Little Prince and even the Cameron Crowe project are still without one
Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Master Fan

That IS funny, Lindsey! And thanks for the info, Nick!