Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2016, 06:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

And you do realize that happens when divorce immediately follows the cheating, which in this case, it did not.

Also, If your research mainly consisted of only Google and you failed to examine the circumstances of these disabled parents losing custody, that is not research.

Just saying.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Extreme Fan

Is it me or all these Arizona fans appeared out of nowhere? Reminds me of bought Amazon reviews for some unknown/cheap products.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't know about the law and don't know why went they went to court it ended up as sole custody? But hey ho that's the show and drama.

The feeling I got after the whole episode was first surprise as I didn't think Arizona would win this battle. Even though I did want her too. But secondly it was different approaches of the lawyers. I think that won Arizona the case.
Arizona's lawyer was talking about Sofia's wellbeing with all of the witness. That hit home when Mer was on the stand. It takes a village to raise children and that village is in Seatle.
Whereas, Callie's lawyer/ tactic was to play the unfit parent angle. How Sofia can't stay in Seatle as it is only with Arizona and that Sofia is mine. No where in Callie's testimony did she mention Sofia's future. It was about her. I think that's where their case
failed.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNS (View Post)
But it was not illegal. You suggesting that Arizona should not have gotten custody because she is disabled, however, IS illegal. Furthermore, even if it had been mentioned that Arizona is disabled that diability does not impact how she raises her child. In addition, how and why she lost her leg has no bearing on the custody case. Callie isn't leaving because she thinks she is exposing her daughter to a dangerous environment. She is leaving to follow her girlfriend. Where Arizona works is a moot point.

In addition to that, it doesn't matter if Callie allowed the adoption. The point is that it happened and Arizona is Sofia's legal parent. What happened in their marraige should not impact where and how Arizona sees her child. You keep harping on the hospital but Sofia does not live in the hospital. She lives in Seattle...where her family, friends and everything she knows and views as stable exists. Seattle is her home, Arizona is her mother. The people at Grey-Sloan are her family. You better believe it is better for her to stay in that stable environment with her mother rather than be uprooted and move away from everything she knows so her mother can pursue a relationship she's had less than a year and that might very well tank in the long run.

Callie wants to be with Penny? Fine, good, have at it. But don't throw your kid's life into chaos because you want to go chasing tail. I could get it if Callie was doing it because she wanted to provide Sofia with a safer environment or because she wanted to be closer to her family or even because it was better for her career wise. But for a freaking brand new relationship? Get out of here.

The judge made the right call.

Arizona losing her leg is irrelevant in this case, her disability doesn't put Sofia's life at risk, she's been portrayed as a very caring and capable parent, to imply that she is not able to raise Sofia because she is disabled is insulting. I don't know whether the judge knew about her disability or not but there have been no sign of her not being able to raise Sofia or provide for her because of it.

In real life the hospital would have been shut down several years ago but in the show it's still one of the best/most renowned hospitals in the country, no matter how ridiculous that seems. Besides, Callie has been working there for years, so b that logic she was putting Sofia at risk too. But Sofia is 6 now, she's in first grade, so she doesn't hang around the hospital. It's just a weird thing to bring up considering this wasn't a case of a concerned parent about the other side putting the child in danger bc of their work environment.

A parent who decides to completely change the life of their child, including a limited contact with the other parent because of a new relationship is just incredibly selfish. Even if Sofia wasn't in the picture, Callie chasing after a woman she barely knows, willing to take a demotion career-wise for her is just ridiculous. I feel like we'd have a different discussion if Callie was doing this for a man, willing to give up her career fr him and putting him above her child's needs.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Arizona slept with a woman she knew for few hours. Callie knows Penny for nearly a year, more considering that time jump when Meredith was beaten.
Callie has all rights to move with Sofia. Ask any judge.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERussia (View Post)
Arizona slept with a woman she knew for few hours. Callie knows Penny for nearly a year, more considering that time jump when Meredith was beaten.
Callie has all rights to move with Sofia. Ask any judge.
I'm sorry how do these points match up? I mean Arizona wasn't trying to move with Peyton. (sorry called her Peyton as Hillarie Burton's in Oth. I think it was Boswell in here)
She did sleep with her and want her to move her and their daughter's life to be with her.
Callie has a reason to be move and many parents are able to negotiate within themselves. Here they didn't.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:14 AM
Extreme Fan

Who say they are meant to match up? I just said she knows Penny for a year, she is not some stranger from the street she just met.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Is it me or all these Arizona fans appeared out of nowhere? Reminds me of bought Amazon reviews for some unknown/cheap products.
My viewpoint has little to do with being a fan and more to do with your implication that Arizona being disabled should have cost her her child. That offended me on so many levels I can't even count. Not to mention the fact you seemed to be skirting the line that Arizona was somehow less a parent than Callie due to biology. I don't usually have hot button issues but that is definitely one of them.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:44 AM
New Fan

I agree that in real life the decision would be that Arizona would get physical custody.I base this on legal cases I read in anticipating this episode. Arizona adopted Sophia, so she is one of her legal parents. She is thus equally her parent. No argument there. Because they had joint custody. They need to look at several factors to determine who should keep the child. One whether the parent has a good reason to move. Some good reasons are the parent will have a higher pay/they need to move for their job. So you can make the argument that Callie will be demoted, so that would not be good. Another reason would be that they need to move to be with a significant other. Callie would fall under that, but as they showed in the episode Penny has only been in Sofia's life for a short time, and it is not clear if this relationship will last. More importantly they consider what would be best for the child. One of the major factors is that their current life stay as similar as possible. Meaning that child shouldn't move because their whole life is in that city. When they are talking about their environment they are talking about the community, friends and family. NOT THE HOSPITAL. Sophia doesn't live at the hospital, and probably the hospital Callie will work at will be just as unsafe for a child as Grey SLoan Memorial.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:20 AM
Extreme Fan

It seems like you can't really read or understand what I'm talking about. I said that IF judge knew she is disabled outcome would be different. But not because of her being disabled, but because of hospital she is working in. It's not a safe place for child and Callie leaving Seattle will be consisered a plus in judge eyes.
I've mentioned it million of times already. And in b4 "Sofia is not spending time in hospital", I'm talking about Seattle as whole. Because every character should run away from this city, as Cristina mentioned.
I'm sick of discussing it, everyone who has any sort of knowledge and logic know that Arizona won't win in real life. Stooooop.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Extreme Fan

A biological parent will almost always have superior rights to child custody. However, there are certain situations where a non-biological parent can be given custody rights by the court, even over the objections of the biological father or mother.

When May Non-Biological Parents be Awarded Custody?

A non-biological parent may be awarded custody if:

The court finds the biological parent unfit.
The court determines that living with the biological parent is not in the child's best interests.
The court determines that the biological parent is not available due to desertion, death, or other reasons.

So stop with that Arizona adopted her mess. Biological parents always have the edge. Always.
Educate yourself.
You may say that leaving Seattle wasn't in her interest. Hmm, her father died here, her mother Arizona long leg here and she herself nearly died in a car crash even before birth. Staying in this city is obviously not in Sofia interest, lol!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

So you find it logical that a judge would deny Arizona custody of her child simply because she was in a plane crash and lost her leg?

Okay.

Yet, I am the one who lacks knowledge and logic. You might have a point there. I did waste all of this precious time arguing with you, didn't l?

Quote:
The court determines that living with the biological parent is not in the child's best interests.
The point I have been making all along. It was in Sofia's best interest to remain in Seattle. Point blank period. It's not like Arizona is raising her in the middle of a war zone so I don't know the point you are trying to make when referring to what bad things they have been through. Those things didn't happen because they live in Seattle. They happened because this is a drama written for television.

Good grief.

Last edited by DJNS; 05-07-2016 at 10:36 AM
Old 05-07-2016, 10:32 AM
Extreme Fan

You also can't really read what I'm talking about. No wonder you think that Arizona should've got custody, to pity that law is not on Arizona side.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Extreme Fan

Sofia father died in Seattle, her mother lost leg, her other one nearly died + she herself nearly died in Seattle too. Those things a real judge would obviously take in consideration. It's not like those situations are equal to losing your phone or something, they would've been brought up and known by judge in real court.
It's obviously not smart to anyone, including Sofia and Arizona, to stay in Seattle. No way real judge will give custody to non biological mother just because she wants to stay in city were she and her child nearly died just because Sofia is raised there. Let's not even mention that she is so young she won't remember 90% of things, she won't have any sort of mental damage. She is not 14. You can spin this situation like you want to, but law is not on Arizona side. They could at least use that Callie was sued by Leah or that first Cristina patient or something, her losing custody because of these things will be more believable.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:55 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Legally Arizona has no rights over Sofia. Court is always on biological mother side, unless she is drug addict or something. Add the fact that Arizona cheated on Callie and lost her leg, which means she is not fully functional and considered disabled by law.
Sofia staying with Arizona because she grew up in Seattle is a complete nonsense, especially considering everything that happened with her mother's there. Logically (which is not a thing here) Callie taking Sofia away from such awful and dangerous place could've been another huge factor to give her full custody.
The thing that she had custody over Sofia doesn't matter. She was not a biological mother, she is disabled and she cheated on her wife, at best (in real life) she will get few days a year with Sofia.
It's all just a stupid badly executed plot to write off Ramirez.
Okay first of all quit the irrelevant stuff about cheating and disability, they do not factor into a judges decision and even with all the dirty tactics Callie's lawyer did even she did not bring up either of those things. And once again it is sole physical custody as parents living 6 hours apart cannot have joint physical custody. Callie and Arizona had a custody agreement in place, Callie wanted to break it and take their daughter away and to do that there has to be a good enough reason. There was not one, moving with your girlfriend of a few months for your girlfriends temporary job is not a good enough reason to uproot a kids life and take her away from her other mother. So the judge obviously awarded custody to Arizona.