Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 08-07-2008, 05:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Agree about Booth and Brennan as well
I completely agree with Booth and Brennan, too. They were the first "pairing" that captured my interest since Mulder and Scully
Old 08-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *KIA* (View Post)
I was just wondering... didn't we have a similar thread before?
I was sure we had one as well but couldn't find it in the board index thread

Anyway I'd say in terms of the relationship between the two stars Bones is definitely the closest show to the X-Files that is currently on.

Obviously the show the X-Files was inspired by, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, is just about as close to the X-Files you can get.

Has anyone actually seen the show? I had never seen the show but kept reading in articles and books about how it inspired Chris Carter and finally decided to get the DVDs. What a brilliant little show it is.

As for a film that reminds me of the X-Files how about The Mothman Prophecies? Perhaps not the film as a whole but I can certainly see that being a case Mulder and Scully would investigate - strange goings-on in a small town

Chat about the X-Files (the greatest show of all time) here!
Old 08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Master Fan

I've only seen Frank's remake, Night Stalker, and that's pretty close to X-Files. In that show Kolchak(a reporter) is haunted by the unexplained dissaperance/death? of his wife and goes on to investigate and solve other unexplained deaths while trying to find out what really happened to his wife.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'm watching an episode of House and there's an episode called Cane & Able about a boy who seems to be getting abducted by aliens (he's not, it's all in his mind) but the start of it is almost identical to Duane Barry with the light coming in the windows and the TV doing funny things. The boy in convinced there is a chip on the back of his neck (like where's Scullys was) and chips in his chest. There is something in his neck but it's a piece of metal (which they found after the boy tried to cut it out).

The episode is kinda freaky though because of all the aliens in the background when they are doing stuff on his brain (like in Jose Chungs... when they are hypnotizing the girl and they are standing in the background). And sometimes when the doctors were taking blood or doing tests the scene would dissolve into it being aliens doing it.

It was such a freaky episode, no wonder there was a viewers discretion at the start

Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Master Fan

I saw that episode, didn't House mention TXF during his diagnosis?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Obsessed Fan

I never heard it, but I might have missed it because I was on the phone for a bit of it. I was surprised I never heard it, so I must have missed it

Old 08-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well the boys diagnosis being a name of an x-files episode was all that stood out to me. His was a chimera. Now I want to watch it again so I can pay closer attention.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Master Fan

Hmm...It may be another episode I'm thinking of, but House definitely mentions X-Files during one of his diagnosis.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

You were right Cindy there's a bit where "House asks if they'd seen any X-Files that might inspire an explanation for their case" "House M.D." Cane and Able (2006) - Movie connections

Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Master Fan

Another show which owes a lot to the X-Files is Supernatural.

Both shows have a couple of people driving the back-roads across the American countryside investigating weird, paranormal cases in small towns. It also tries to do what the X-Files did in terms of mixing horror, drama and comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy3138 (View Post)
I've only seen Frank's remake, Night Stalker, and that's pretty close to X-Files. In that show Kolchak(a reporter) is haunted by the unexplained dissaperance/death? of his wife and goes on to investigate and solve other unexplained deaths while trying to find out what really happened to his wife.
Oh yeah I remember you telling us about that show. You quite liked it didn't you? The plot sounds rather different to the old show though

Old 08-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Master Fan

Really?
I heard that the old show is out on DVD, should probably check it out since I've heard a lot of great things about it.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Passionate Fan

Law and Order: Criminal Intent. I honestly think it's s blatant rip off! Not that I'm complaining, it's a great show, but still
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy3138 (View Post)
Really?
I heard that the old show is out on DVD, should probably check it out since I've heard a lot of great things about it.
Well maybe not drastically different. He's still a news reporter who investigates weird stuff but there is absolutely nothing about a wife or anything.

And I certainly like it so I would recommend it. I don't know if there are episodes or clips online anywhere where you could get a taste of the show before spending money buying the whole series

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldIce (View Post)
Law and Order: Criminal Intent. I honestly think it's s blatant rip off! Not that I'm complaining, it's a great show, but still
Seriously? I've only seen bit of the show but certainly wouldn't have said it was similar to the X-Files.

In what ways do you feel it's similar?

Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Elite Fan

This isn't a movie or TV show, it's a song that reminds me so much of The X-Files, specifically Mulder and Scully's relationship.

I Have Nothing by Whitney Houston

YouTube - I have Nothing - Whitney Houston (The Bodyguard)

Share my life,
Take me for what I am.
'Cause I'll never change
All my colors for you.

Take my love,
I'll never ask for too much,
Just all that you are
And everything that you do.

I don't really need to look
Very much further/farther,
I don't wanna have to go
Where you don't follow.
I will hold it back again,
This passion inside.
Can't run from myself,
There's nowhere to hide.
(Your love I'll remember forever.)

Chorus:
Don't make me close one more door,
I don't wanna hurt anymore.
Stay in my arms if you dare,
Or must I imagine you there.
Don't walk away from me.
(No, don't walk awya from me. Don't you dare walk away from me.)
I have nothing, nothing, nothing
If I don't have you, you (you, you, you./If I don't have you, oh, oo.)

You see through,
Right to the heart of me.
You break down my walls
With the strength of your love.

I never knew
Love like I've known it with you.
Will a memory survive,
One I can hold on to?

I don't really need to look
Very much further/farther,
I don't wanna have to go
Where you don't follow.
I will hold it back again,
This passion inside.
Can't run from myself,
There's nowhere to hide.
(Your love I'll remember forever.)

(Chorus 2x)
Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeMac (View Post)
Seriously? I've only seen bit of the show but certainly wouldn't have said it was similar to the X-Files.

In what ways do you feel it's similar?
In the relationship of Eames & Goren as opposed to Scully & Mulder, where he is a sort of kooky character that can see past the obvious and crack the case and she is a cool kind of character (except to Goren) that rarely cracks and is always there to back him up. She always has her own opinion about what's going on but it's usually Goren that figures it out, and he has his own investigative methods, etc.
I'm not sure if you could say Eames and Goren "love" each other like Mulder and Scully, but I really do think that the characters are based on the early M/S relationship.
I used to be a die hard fan of Criminal Intent and I always seemed to be able find little things that reminded me of the X-Files