Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-28-2004, 12:51 AM
Absolute Fan

I hope that Jason Bateman gets nominated for lead actor. Among the supporting actors, I hope that Will Arnett and Michael Cera get nods, along with Portia and Jessica Walter. There's probably not enough room in the Emmys to nominate more people, even though they're deserving too.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:43 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm curious to see who gets nods around Golden Globes time. (Those nods should be announced in 2 weeks.) The GG's are so odd in their voting--they tend to pick "trendy" over quality--so it will be interesting to see how AD does there.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ana Banana
I'm curious to see who gets nods around Golden Globes time. (Those nods should be announced in 2 weeks.) The GG's are so odd in their voting--they tend to pick "trendy" over quality--so it will be interesting to see how AD does there.
When is the exact date they are announced. I think AD should have a damn good chance with the GG's this time around.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Addicted Fan

We do have an Emmy thread.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Passionate Fan

Good digging!
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 07-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Absolute Fan

Yay, you found the Emmy thread. So who do you think will win this year? Do you think Jason will win?
Old 07-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Extreme Fan

I believe either Jason Bateman or Zach Braff deserve it, and I’m ecstatic that its up for "Best Comedy" again this year, although I do hope Scrubs is awarded it...Sorry.

My only small nit/pick is why Jeffrey Tambor was nominated for "Supporting Actor In A Comedy", who had very little screen time this Season, when compared to Will Arnett or David Cross. Given, Tambor did an amazing job playing both George Sr. and Oscar Bluth, but I believe that Arnett and Cross played far more entertaining and challenging roles.

But i guess any Arrested Development nomination is a positive one, so I’m not complaining.

Vote Big Brother - Summer's Nothing Without It
Old 07-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachOut
I believe either Jason Bateman or Zach Braff deserve it, and I’m ecstatic that its up for "Best Comedy" again this year, although I do hope Scrubs is awarded it...Sorry.

My only small nit/pick is why Jeffrey Tambor was nominated for "Supporting Actor In A Comedy", who had very little screen time this Season, when compared to Will Arnett or David Cross. Given, Tambor did an amazing job playing both George Sr. and Oscar Bluth, but I believe that Arnett and Cross played far more entertaining and challenging roles.

But i guess any Arrested Development nomination is a positive one, so I’m not complaining.
I agree....I love that Tambor gets nominated because he deserves it for his split role of Oscar/George but it goes to show you what we already knew about the awards community. It is based on names familiar to a group of people who nominates who would rather have root canals daily than to nominate a fresh new face. Thank god they recognized our show and some of the actors but its hard to not think they aren't just throwing Tambors name out there because they know it over the others.

I think the nominations of Zach Braff and Jason Bateman are signs of a change in the future perhaps some of the old stuffy guys are dying off and being replaced by younger hipper nominators that know quality over name recognition. There still must be plenty of 68 year olds in that group that for some reason love Will & Grace...still.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:51 AM
Absolute Fan

I'm reposting the list of Emmy noms that Kismet posted in the other thread:

Best Comedy
Arrested Development
Scrubs
Will & Grace
Everybody Loves Raymond
Desperate Housewives

Best Actor
Jason Bateman (Arrested Development)
Ray Romano (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Tony Shalhoub (Monk)
Zach Braff (Scrubs)
Eric McCormack (Will & Grace)

Supporting Actor
Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development)
Jeremy Piven (Entourage)
Peter Boyle (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Brad Garrett (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)

Supporting Actress
Jessica Walter (Arrested Development)
Doris Roberts (Everybody Loves Raymond)
Holland Taylor (Two and a Half Men)
Conchata Ferrell (Two and a Half Men)
Megan Mullally (Will & Grace)

Outstanding Writing
Arrested Development - Sad Sack
Arrested Development - Sword of Destiny
Arrested Development - Righteous Brothers
Desperate Housewives - Pilot
Everybody Loves Raymond -Finale

Outstanding Casting
Arrested Development
Desperate Housewives
Entourage
Scrubs
Will & Grace

Outstanding Single Camera Picture Editing
Arrested Development - Motherboy XXX
Arrested Development - Let 'Em Eat Cake
Arrested Development - Good Grief
Desperate Housewives - Pilot
Desperate Housewives - Pretty Little Picture

A total of 11 nominations.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Master Fan

An article from The Hollywood Reporter by Barry Garron mentions that shows like Desperate Housewives and Gilmore Girls should get their own category. Here's a some selected excerpts:

Quote:
HBO, with its emphasis on entertainment-industry sitcoms to the exclusion of practically all else, was locked out of the comedy series category for the first time in 13 years.

That turned "Desperate Housewives," which even its creator, Marc Cherry, considers more of a drama than a comedy, into this year's heavyweight. It scored three lead actress nominations, and it wouldn't have been surprising if it had locked up the entire category.

You get the feeling that the Academy looked hard for new names and faces but, finding little beyond "Housewives," settled for reliable standbys, the just-concluded "Everybody Loves Raymond" and the fading "Will & Grace." From a pure comedy standpoint, the most creative show from the past season is the same one that won last year, "Arrested Development." Although it was nominated again, it has little chance against the "Housewives" juggernaut.

Because the ranks of top-notch comedy are so thin and the reluctance to expand award categories so great, this probably isn't the time for the Academy to consider a new category of programs: a comedy-drama mix. However, the new division would accommodate such series as "Housewives," "Monk" and "Gilmore Girls" and not squeeze them into ill-fitting categories. It might even encourage more of these appealing hybrids.

An unofficial mission of the Emmys is to give a push to deserving new series, some of which have yet to catch on with viewers. Although last year's Emmy to "Arrested Development" didn't open a floodgate of new viewers, it helped the series stay around for another season.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Absolute Fan

Even the creator knows that it's not a comedy! GRRR!

I'm still going to be optimistic and think that AD could win it because even when Friends was red hot in ratings and hype its first year, it didn't win the Emmy against established shows like Frasier.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

Id love to see that category change happen. There would be enough material to choose from with some of those shows mentioned already. To me a comedy is a half hour show and that is freaking that. Hour shows are dramas or reality and the line between those two are not remotely blurred.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:09 AM
Passionate Fan

Here's what I'd do. The main problem is the drama category is too broad. There are light dramas (like say Boston Legal which would fit in the comedy category probably far better than Desperate Housewives btw) and then you have heavy dramas like law & order. Because drama is basically known for the really heavy stuff. Shows like Desperate Housewives, Gilmore Girls, etc feel a little bit uncomfortable in there.

One thing most of the heavier dramas have in common though is their theme. Almost all of them involve crime. So I'd create a few genre categories to soften up the drama category.

First Crime and Action Dramas. This would cover shows where cops, bounty hunters, or what not investigate and track down bad guys. If people run around with guns. They go here. Legal shows are a bit iffy. Boston Legal wouldnt really belong here, but perhaps the show it spun off of, The Practice, might. Sopranos and The Wire go here.

Second I'd make a nice little scifi/fantasy genre category. They are always overlooked and never taken seriously. And shows like Angel and Firefly could haved used the moral support. Course the term "fantasy" might lead to shows trying tricky things. IE I could see Joan of Arcadia trying to weasel it's way in.

Third I'd just have "other dramatic series." I thought of "family drama" to separate say the Everwoods from the Rescue Mes and Nip/Tucks. But it seems too ambigious to me. Would it be any series involving a nuclear family?

Oh and there should be one more category. Not for shows that are both dramatic and comedic, but for shows that are neither. Imagine one nice category that you could throw the Will & Graces, Yes Dears, and Seventh Heavens of the world into.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 07-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja
Oh and there should be one more category. Not for shows that are both dramatic and comedic, but for shows that are neither. Imagine one nice category that you could throw the Will & Graces, Yes Dears, and Seventh Heavens of the world into.
They should totally make a crap category. They don't even need to do any of that other stuff. Just making a crap category would fix the majority of the Emmys problems, I think.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee
They should totally make a crap category. They don't even need to do any of that other stuff. Just making a crap category would fix the majority of the Emmys problems, I think.
ITA!