Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Master Fan

Raja, I agree. There needs to be an overhaul in the way shows are categorized. It's not fair to trying to squeeze certain shows into ill-fitting categories and then they don't get nominated because both the producers and the Emmy people couldn't figure out what kind of show it's supposed to be. I remember they had this problem a few years back when Ally McBeal on.

On a side note, can someone tell me how in the world Ray Romano ever got nominated? Did being surrouned by a cast of hugely talented actors create some sort of illusion that this mediocre comedian can somehow act?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
On a side note, can someone tell me how in the world Ray Romano ever got nominated? Did being surrouned by a cast of hugely talented actors create some sort of illusion that this mediocre comedian can somehow act?
Ouch. Well i kinda like him. But Jason Bateman easily deserves it more.

Vote Big Brother - Summer's Nothing Without It
Old 07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
Master Fan

I was looking through the list for ALL the Desi's (you know I mean Emmy's) and the SNL with Bateman was nominated for some miniscule category like Outstanding Technical Camera Work for a Series, I think.

Okay, I located it again:

Outstanding Technical Direction, Camerawork, Video For A Series

Late Night With Conan O’Brien • #2014 • NBC • Broadway Video, NBC Studios, Conaco
Gregory Aull, Technical Director
Richard S. Carter, Camera
Kenneth Decker, Camera
Kurt Decker, Camera
Eugene Huelsman, Camera
Chris Mattot, Camera
James Palczewski, Camera
Carl M. Henry III, Video

Late Show With David Letterman • #2269 • CBS • Worldwide Pants Inc.
Timothy Kennedy, Technical Director
William White, Senior Video Control
Dan Campbell, Video Control
Al Cialino, Camera Operator
David Dorsett, Camera Operator
Karin-Lucie Grzella, Camera Operator
Jack Young, Camera Operator
John Hannel, Camera Operator
John Curtin, Camera Operator
George Rothweiler, Camera Operator
Dan Flaherty, Camera Operator
Fred Shimizu, Camera Operator
Steve Kaufman, Camera Operator
Joe Debonis, Camera Operator
Claus Stuhlweissenburg, Camera Operator
John Pry, Camera Operator

Saturday Night Live • Host-Jason Bateman & Musical Guest-Kelly Clarkson • NBC • SNL Studios in association
with NBC Studios and Broadway Video
Steven Cimino, Technical Director
John Pinto, Camera Operator
Richard B. Fox, Camera Operator
Brian Phraner, Camera Operator
Michael Bennett, Camera Operator
Eric A. Eisenstein, Camera Operator
Susan Noll, Senior Video
Frank Grisanti, Senior Video
I made my icon.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm amazed that the Desi people are able to extricate Jeffrey Tambor's performance from an already incredible supporting cast.

Though there are no weak links on AD, I would love to see David Cross and Tony Hale nominated for support, with Jason and Will nominated as leads. Heck, just nominate the whole freaken cast, they are far and away the best comedic ensemble on television.

And can someone please explain the appeal of Ray Romano, and/or Everybody Loves Raymond? Pure, unadultered, badly recycled crap.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzy
And can someone please explain the appeal of Ray Romano, and/or Everybody Loves Raymond? Pure, unadultered, badly recycled crap.
Compared to what? Two and Half Men? Yes Dear? According to Jim? Joey? Need I go on?

Everybody Loves Raymond while not the best show ever doesnt cause you physical distress when you watch it. And that puts it above many other sitcoms out there.

Speaking of really bad sitcoms. I downloaded the pilot of Out of Practice (the one with Paula Marshall and Henry Winkler). It stands a very good chance of perhaps being the worst show of the year. Folks at Futon Critic seem to agree with me.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/rant.cgi?id=20050711

On the other hand watched Everybody Hates Chris (the new show by Chris Rock) and it is absolutely great. Assuming it doesnt tank because it's on UPN and against half the shows most of us already watch (Alias, OC, Smallville, NBC dreck, and Survivor), might pose a threat to us next year at the Emmys. Course this being the Emmys who'd be surprise if they just give everything to Will & Grace?
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 07-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Master Fan

Well, that changes my plans for new shows to watch, then. I've been hearing great things about Everybody Hates Chris, but then I watch the promos and all I hear is Chris Rock's voice and I change the channel. But I was really hoping Out of Practice wouldn't suck. The casting made me hopeful. Oh, well.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Extreme Fan

I've also viewed the Pilot Episode of Out of Practise. And whilst the casting is inspired, the entertainment is quite the opposite. But Everybody Hates Chris was great, and a show that'll be sure to watch this TV Fall.

Sorry, i'm going a bit off topic here.

Old 07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja
Compared to what? Two and Half Men? Yes Dear? According to Jim? Joey? Need I go on?

Everybody Loves Raymond while not the best show ever doesnt cause you physical distress when you watch it. And that puts it above many other sitcoms out there.
Sorry, I stand corrected, According to Jim does indeed cause me physical distress on all counts so is in fact worse than Everybody loves Raymond. However, yes there are many worse shows than Raymond, but what I dont understand are the accolades and acclaim it has received. IMO it is barely above average comedy wise, I guess I just don't understand the mass appeal.

Sorry, gone totally OT here, now back to Desi talk:

Desperate Housewives for best comedy. What the??
Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachOut
I've also viewed the Pilot Episode of Out of Practise. And whilst the casting is inspired, the entertainment is quite the opposite. But Everybody Hates Chris was great, and a show that'll be sure to watch this TV Fall.

Sorry, i'm going a bit off topic here.
What other new shows have you guys checked out for the new season? Oddly enough im most excited about "Prison Break" which I think will probably be a big hit similar to '24" and "Bones" because of David Boreanez.

Forgot to mention that im also excited about Prison Break because of Dominic Purcell whom seems to just be Fox's bitch since they unfairly cancelled "John Doe" which despite its few flaws and the fact that not many people watched it was a very solid show.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Other Pilots that i've viewed:

- Prison Break
- Reunion
- Invasion
- The Loop

Out of the 6 Pilots that i've viewed (thats including Out of Practise and Everybody Hates Chris), Invasion has to be in the No.1 slot, with Prison Break coming in at close 2nd.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Master Fan

Any word on Surface? (aka Fathom).

I'm really interested in that show.
Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Extreme Fan

I've read a few reviews on the Pilot Episode and it sounds promising. I haven't seen the Pilot, but you can view a few clips on the NBC site.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Master Fan

Apparantly Surface has one of the most expensive pilots ever so it should at least look cool.

For anyone interested in Chris Rock's show, he talks about it here. Pretty funny.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Absolute Fan

Obviously I'm happy about ADs nominations, but I'm thrilled with Scrubs *finally* getting a little more recognition.

Don't even start me on that Everybody Loves Raymond crap.

Rach
Old 07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Master Fan

While I seriously love that Scrubs did get some recongition, I think I've said it before, this season was not their best. Especially the second half.