Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Maddie is clearly screaming for boundaries- Deacon (and Rayna and Teddy) need to figure out how to give them to her. Deacon is not her pal, and she is not his. He is an authority figure. He needs to learn how to act like one.

But also, if that's her attitude for the season, it's going to get real old, real fast, lol. This situation? She is absolutely not entitled to. She does not own Rayna or Deacon. She does not decide who they're involved with, and she needs to be put in her punkass teenage place on that issue, right quick.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
Maddie is a teenager. I get wanting to spend time with the parent whose more like a friend but its getting out of hand. I am not mad at Deacon he's only been her Dad for a year tops but I am hoping this is a wake up call to get some parenting books or talk to Rayna and Teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi86 (View Post)
Exactly plus Maddie wants to spend most of her time with him cuz he's not parenting type of person in her life. He lets her play her music and speak freely which is now starting to get out of hand.
"Out of hand" ? Let's not exaggerate . You guys are being harsh on Deacon. He's been a parent for less than a year. And the way Maddie is acting has nothing to do with his parental skills. He's trying to be honest with her, I don't think it's completely wrong.

And I agree Teddy is a great parent, but Rayna hasn't exactly been mom of the year lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
She does not decide who they're involved with, and she needs to be put in her punkass teenage place on that issue, right quick.
Wow, a bit extreme maybe ? I totally agree it's not her decision, but it does affect her life, she should be able to talk about it with her parents.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

She isn't allowed to talk to them like that. Luke isn't blameless since this was sprung on her with no warning (which Rayna apparently isn't concerned about) but she has no right to go around calling Deacon pathetic for not being with Rayna or thinking she has a say in who Rayna marries. It should have been discussed with her, but she doesn't actually get a vote, and that needs to be made clear to her IMMEDIATELY.

It's not that I think Deacon is responsible for her being a brat right then- I just think the way he responded highlighted his inexperience as a parent.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
It's not that I think Deacon is responsible for her being a brat right then- I just think the way he responded highlighted his inexperience as a parent.
I can agree with that.
But I still think the way he handled the situation wasn't completely wrong.

Can we agree to disagree ?
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yeah, in context, I still don't like it. Maddie is a teenager. By definition, she's a disrespectful little punk. He had every right to tell her this was none of her business and she can't speak to him that way- he should not have told her what he did, the way he did. I don't think it was malicious, but I do think it highlights him as an extremely inexperienced parent who has no idea how to handle a teenager.
Disagree. But again, I have seen the real thing in action. This is not even close. It may show some inexperience, but it's not hurtful, damaging, or untrue.

I think it's like a lot of other things. Until you've walked in those shoes, it's easy to have an opinion or think it should be handled a certain way. Based on what we saw, Deacon did an admirable job of shutting it down. Maddie was being a typical mouthy teenager, who's clearly hurting, and he tried to make sure she knew he'd done what he could but it is what it is and let it go. He could have said and done a lot more that would have truly been damaging, but he didn't.

So, from someone who's actually seen the damage that can occur in these situations, he did well, especially for a newbie parent.

Last edited by piratewench78; 10-01-2014 at 09:47 AM
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm not really sure why it's such a big deal to acknowledge that Deacon as an unexperienced parent who let his emotions get the best of him in that situation? It doesn't de-value him as a person or anything. But it's also not ok to involve your teenage daughter into your personal problems when the other person in question is her authority figure.

A "it's none of your business" would have certainly sufficed. Or going to Rayna (or if you can't talk to Rayna...Teddy) and telling them Maddie has been inquiring about this. Put it on Rayna to tell her exactly what she did.

I'm pretty sure Deacon is going to later apologize for his actions, saying he had no right to yell/lash out like that, that he was taking out his own frustrations. It's ok for him to screw up once in a while, he is human.

Quote:
This situation? She is absolutely not entitled to. She does not own Rayna or Deacon. She does not decide who they're involved with

this.

EDIT:

Quote:
Rayna Jaymes at #DWTS? Wha?? Thanks @DancingABC for hosting us! @Nashville_ABC

Last edited by Static Waves; 10-01-2014 at 10:12 AM
Old 10-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

What I want to know is what conversations Rayna has had with her girls since getting engaged to the loser. Because she damn well should have talked to Maddie about this whole mess before sending her off to Deacon to deal with.

Deacon probably shouldn't have told Maddie he proposed, and not like that. But it's not so bad. He was getting at the right thing and trying to get her to drop it without going into too much if his crap with Rayna.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I don't even know what Rayna is doing- I still can't believe, even when it was brought up that the proposal was sprung on her, that it wasn't mentioned that it was also sprung on her children. Everyone is irritating me in this situation, lol. Maddie is irritating me, Rayna is irritating me, Luke always irritates me, and Deacon isn't doing so well either. And as well as Teddy did in the premiere, if/when HE starts planning the girls' musical careers with Jeff Fordham without discussing it with Rayna, he's going to start irritating me too.

Whatever. Team Daphne. LOL. Someone save her.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Master Fan

Before Rayna went to talk to Luke or Deacon last week she should have gone to Teddy's to talk to the girls.

This whole situation is a complete and utter mess. Of all the directions the writers could have gone after the finale they're going with one of the worst possible options.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 10-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapbubbles511 (View Post)
Before Rayna went to talk to Luke or Deacon last week she should have gone to Teddy's to talk to the girls.

This whole situation is a complete and utter mess. Of all the directions the writers could have gone after the finale they're going with one of the worst possible options.
This I can agree with. I think on the rest we'll just have to agree to disagree. Love y'all, mean it!
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:

Whatever. Team Daphne. LOL. Someone save her.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Yeah, the thing is, the way it was written, it looked like she basically dropped that in Teddy's lap even though he also had no warning and therefore no way to shield the girls from how they might be feeling.

She really should have pulled a Kelly Taylor (and I hate Kelly Taylor, lol) and picked herself. And that would have been a nice teaching moment for Maddie, about self-care and self-respect.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

I hate that Rayna was only allowed to question the engagement to Luke as it related to Deacon. There are plenty of issues with getting engaged to Luke on its own merits. Wanting to marry Luke should be an independent issue from whether she wants to marry Deacon. But somehow the show's logic was not Deacon = Luke. She should have said no to both of them.
Sarah [youtube]
Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Where I have utterly no sympathy for her on the Luke front, is that she's done this before and it ended in divorce. She can not be ready- or simply not be willing- to enter into another relationship with Deacon, which is perfectly valid, but that has NOTHING to do with the fact that she is clearly ambivalent at best where Luke is concerned which is NO emotional space to accept a marriage proposal and she should damn well know that.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:50 AM
Master Fan

Yup. It's been a little over a year since she divorced the last guy she married to hide from her feelings for Deacon. The last thing she should be doing is repeating that mistake.
Sarah [youtube]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread