Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Regardless of the character destruction that the end of season 6/beginning of season 7 brought about, the thing that annoyed me almost as much was the sheer, mundane, paint by number plotlines that the whole L/L/C triangle followed. I mean, for a show that prided itself on being out of the ordinary, those plots were basically following the guidelines for Trite TV Drama 101 (soap opera edition). Sudden, abrupt change in character? Check. Lost lost daughter? Check. Return of old flame with a bucket of money and a shiny new 'all grown up' attitude? Check? Sleep with old flame? Check. Hasty, rebound marriage? Check. The whole thing was trite and achingly predictable from start to end and that is what is almost more disappointing than the end of L/L altogether. They had a chance to do things differently and they didn't. They did it the way that TV shows (soaps in particular) have done it for decades. Complete with a last minute, one kiss and that's it reconciliation five minutes from the end. I thought GG was different, and for years it was. Pity it didn't stay that way. Sheer mediocrity. What a shame.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:10 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chik1n (View Post)
I agree that they went to the extreme ... and wasted our time exploring L/C

but we will get to watch the CW self destruct... that is some consolation
Yeah definitely looking forward to that, but from a lot of what i heard CW was doing all it can within the realm of making a profit to get Gilmore Girls back, just don't know where the negotiations blew off and who pissed of who exactly.

Most of my anger towards DR for doing a crappy job and yapping off too much about what he could do, when in fact he really didn't have a clue what to do.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Okay new thread coming...

IS THIS THE LAST THREAD?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Still alive?

KB
Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranoh (View Post)
Because of what ASP did to L/L last season, I have a really hard time trusting her.
I agree 100%. Anyways, it was the network president who basically forced the L/L pairing at the end of season four. This is pretty common knowledge. What was the WB president's name? GG was in serious danger of being cancelled, and he gave the show an ultimatum: Get L/L together and get Rory sexually involved or else the show is cancelled. Remember how the fans were thinking that Luke/Nicole divorce happened quickly and then the very next episode Luke is asking Lorelai out? I really think Amy wanted to drag things out with L/L much longer. The network was not happy with Rory's lack of love life in season four either. Most people felt that her affair with Dean was extremely out of character. But let's face it, the ratings did go up. Raincoats and Recipes became one of the most talked about episodes ever. The show hit a definite turning point which led into season five, a season with good ratings. Any source can confirm this. We talked a lot about it towards the end of season four.

ASP had lost her touch in season six, probably out of sheer boredom. For someone who loved the Rory/Lorelai relationship so much, she sure didn't give us any quality moments between them in season six. I don't know. As much as season seven sucked, I cannot see Amy doing a better job in the finale. She probably would have had Dean lurking at the party and he and Rory staring at each other. Or worse, she would have had R/L basically talking about nothing important for the whole episode, because let's face it, their scenes were meaningless for the last few seasons. At least DR wrote something of quality for R/L in the finale.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread