Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've gotten into Image this past year and I've enjoyed it a lot. So Top Cow bought them out, or is it a merger? A lot of my comics have both logos on them.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:09 AM
Elite Fan

Image isn't a publisher in the sense of DC and Marvel...there are no Image owned books or characters. The books are all creator owned, Image just helps out with advertising, publishing, miscellaneous costs, etc. in return for a percentage cut of the profits. That's why Top Cow has both logos.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 PM
Elite Fan

I'm Trying to remember how it was first broken up...

Rob Leifield -> Awesome Comics
Mark Silvestri -> Top Cow
Wilce Portacio -> ???
Erik Larsen -> ???
Sam Keith -> ???
Todd McFarlane -> Spawn Comics
Jim Valentino -> ???
Jim Lee -> Wildstorm
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow
Image isn't a publisher in the sense of DC and Marvel...there are no Image owned books or characters. The books are all creator owned, Image just helps out with advertising, publishing, miscellaneous costs, etc. in return for a percentage cut of the profits. That's why Top Cow has both logos.
Oh OK, thanks. I kind of knew that...but apparently forgot.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:54 AM
Jay
Master Fan

It's sad to think that as popular as Marvel is today, they were on a verge of bankruptcy yrs ago. that's a scary thought. thank god...it didn't happen.

who helped out or what solutions they Marvel come up with to avoid backruptcy? I think they had to cut down issue titles?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm not sure what Marvel did to avoid bankruptcy but they seem to be doing well now. They must be raking in big bucks through their movies and video games at least. The problem I saw with Marvel a decade or so ago is that they lacked innovation and were too slow to start printing better quality(nicer paper & ink) comics when their competitors already went that route. They were obsessed with 'multiple cover' issues & crossovers... and were forever locked in copyright lawsuits and creative disputes. I haven't read Marvel in ages, but I'm assuming things have changed right?

I recently bought an issue of Fathom and it said Aspen comics. I didn't see any reference to Image. Does this mean Aspen is no longer associated with Top Cow?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryostar
I'm Trying to remember how it was first broken up...

Rob Leifield -> Awesome Comics
Mark Silvestri -> Top Cow
Wilce Portacio -> ???
Erik Larsen -> ???
Sam Keith -> ???
Todd McFarlane -> Spawn Comics
Jim Valentino -> ???
Jim Lee -> Wildstorm
Actually, Rob Liefield's studio with Image was Extreme, then he formed Maximum as an entity outside of Image, then he went to Awesome after he left Image...Whilce Portacio was with Wildstorm/Homage, and I don't think Erk Larsen, Sam Keith or Jim Valentino had separate studios per se.

Quote:

It's sad to think that as popular as Marvel is today, they were on a verge of bankruptcy yrs ago. that's a scary thought. thank god...it didn't happen.
Actually, Marvel did file Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1996, resulting in a Toy Biz takeover in 1997 and the creation of the entity Marvel Enterprises. They exited Chapter 11 some time in 1998.

Quote:

I recently bought an issue of Fathom and it said Aspen comics. I didn't see any reference to Image. Does this mean Aspen is no longer associated with Top Cow?
Yep. Aspen is now its own independent studio, completely apart from Top Cow.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Jay
Master Fan

So is Michael Turner still doing Fathom as well as the big boss of Aspen?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

My brother has a two huge suitcase full of comic books, I recently started to get into reading them. He has a bunch of everything really, from Xmen to Spiderman, Superman, Hulk, Catwoman, Supergirl, Batman, Wolverine, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Fantasic four, etc. The list goes on. I never had the chance yet to count just how many he has been collecting, but he has been collecting them since he was 12, and he is now 32 so
My LJ
Old 05-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Elite Fan

That's cool. If he's anything like me he's probably a bit leery of knowing the actual number of comics he has because knowing allows you to put a dollar figure on how much you've shelled out for those comics. At least a pretty good idea.

Sounds like he's got a pretty good mix of stuff too. It's nice of him to let you read them. I'm not that way at all. If I caught my sisters (or anyone really) looking through my comics I'd probably cut their thumbs off. Hehe. The condition of my comics is the one thing I'm very protective of.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:42 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks Crow....I started disliking Rob early in my colleting days, so I forgot.

Aspen has grown substantially in the past 2 years or so, since breaking from Image/Top Cow. Not only do they have several Fathom Titles (Dawn of War, etc) but they have EKOS, Soulfire (Reg, Dying Light and Chaos Reigns) and Shrugged. Michael's also doing a ton of work for Marvel, DC and various independent. He currently pencilling Soulfire's regular series, turning Fathom over to someone else (its ending shortly though)

Not only did the merger with Toy Biz (Who marvel is now dropping as a top maker) help them out, but it was around this time that Marvel figured out that they could make free money by selling rights to the comic books, especially now that special effects have caught up enough to make super powers look good.

Welcome Rainstorm, what are you favourites?
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
That's cool. If he's anything like me he's probably a bit leery of knowing the actual number of comics he has because knowing allows you to put a dollar figure on how much you've shelled out for those comics. At least a pretty good idea.

Sounds like he's got a pretty good mix of stuff too. It's nice of him to let you read them. I'm not that way at all. If I caught my sisters (or anyone really) looking through my comics I'd probably cut their thumbs off. Hehe. The condition of my comics is the one thing I'm very protective of.

Oh believe me, he can be protective of his comics too. He kinda threatened me by saying if I ever spill anything on them or dont put them back in the plastic cover thingy after reading them then all hell was going to break loose. I was like "Geez, I will be careful" Im reading all the X-men comics now that he has.
My LJ
Old 05-27-2006, 05:14 PM
Elite Fan

X-men was one of my first comics as well. I got into during Jim Lee's run on the book, right before they release the adjectiveless 'X-Men' series.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

I already read most of his Superman comics, but recently gotten into wanting to read the X-men ones. Gambit and Wolverine are my two favorite X-men so Im enjoying those comics very much.
My LJ
Old 05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Ain't that the truth. It's definitely in the thousands for me.

Jenny, it's cool that you're getting into comics. I'm glad you're enjoying them. The X-Men were my first love too.