Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know. I think that the art is about the same, if not a little bit better than it has ever been. Sure if you get off into the independent stuff the art is a lot more raw and amateur, but that is to be expected. I'd put anything coming out of Top Cow or most Marvel and DC stuff up against anything that Image put on in the early 90's and I think it would hold up artwise, and definitely storywise.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I have some 90's eras comics (mostly X-Men). But I didn't care for them at all. Art or writing. But that just might my bias as a "newer" collector.

I'd rather have raw/amateurish art, than perfectly drawn top heavy heroines, and heros who looked like they were on superpowered steroids. I'm so glad that's kind of over.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Elite Fan

I have most X titles...a few others, some Top Cow, Image, McFarlane Studios...I start from about the late 60's and up.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:54 AM
Elite Fan

I was just getting into comics when Image was forming, and that was an awesome time. I remember being blown away monthly by some book or another, and now that is kind of a derided period of comics. I guess that's why I look back so fondly on the 90's boom stuff that most people write off as crap. I guess everyone remembers their childhood stuff in a better light than it sometimes deserves.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I had comics when I was a kid, mostly Richie Rich and Casper/Wendy from what I remember... as for collecting, I first got into it around the same time I got into anime, '93-'95...it was mostly Viz stuff with a little Dark Horse and some Star Trek/Star Wars thrown in. Then I stopped buying, and eventually lost the collection...and just got back into rebuilding it this year.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow
I was just getting into comics when Image was forming, and that was an awesome time. I remember being blown away monthly by some book or another, and now that is kind of a derided period of comics. I guess that's why I look back so fondly on the 90's boom stuff that most people write off as crap. I guess everyone remembers their childhood stuff in a better light than it sometimes deserves.
Well, there's that saying that when you first discover comics is your own personal "Golden Age". Or something like that.

If I had gotten into comics at that time, I probably would have felt the same way.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Elite Fan

I thought I was missing some comics, and I found them today. I went into my storage building and found two more long boxes full of comics. I don't know where I'm going to put them, because I don't really like storing them outside anymore because of the humidity. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy some of those filing cabinet style drawer boxes.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

I've recently discovered the Brett Booth drawn, Thundercats, Dogs of War....nice series....love it.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I thought I was missing some comics, and I found them today. I went into my storage building and found two more long boxes full of comics. I don't know where I'm going to put them, because I don't really like storing them outside anymore because of the humidity. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy some of those filing cabinet style drawer boxes.
Very cool. That's happened to me once or twice. Not as many comics though. It's like finding an extra $20.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:55 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I know. It is awesome. There were several comics in there that I remembered when I saw them, but I hadn't thought about them at all when I was making my list of all my comics.

Quote:
I've recently discovered the Brett Booth drawn, Thundercats, Dogs of War....nice series....love it.
I have the first new Thundercat's series, but I don't think I caught the Dogs of War one. Or maybe the one I have is the Dogs of War...I didn't look at it that close, and I haven't read them....how sad is that? I've had them for years and haven't read them yet.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There are comics I've had for a few years, but haven't gotten around to reading yet. You're not alone there.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I started collecting just before Image took off and I remember that boom fondly as well. I was reading X-Men, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Spiderman at the time and then came across an article that said some disgruntled Marvel artists were launching their own company. I bought SPAWN as soon as it came out and several other Image titles. True, not all titles were good(ie Youngblood, Stormwatch, Shadowhawk), but I really enjoyed the very early Spawn & Cyberforce issues, The Maxx series (Sam Keith), the 4 issue Wildstar(Ordway/Gordon) and the short-lived Pitt(Dale Keown). I think I would have loved Wetworks(by Whilce Portacio) too but that series seemed to die before it ever got off the ground. It's too bad Image eventually imploded(from creative infighting, departures, lack of business experience etc...) because they had some good ideas there for awhile.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah. Image as a company is much more diverse than it was back then, but I don't get as excited by the products as I used to. Funnily enough, I read almost zero Top Cow stuff back in the beginning, and now I read several titles.

I loved Pitt and Wetworks, but I never really got into Wildstar. I loved Sam Keith's art on The Maxx, but it was a little more intellectual than I was into at the time. I'd love to pick it up now and revisit it, but I haven't gotten around to it.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Jay
Master Fan

I didn't get into Top Cow comics early on..but eventually I did(like 5 yrs ago)..especially The Darkness series. After that...I got into Witchblade, then Fathom. The artist on all these three comics were awesome...which is why I went for them.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Elite Fan

Image is almost exclusively Top Cow now, save for Savage Dragon, Spawn and Shadow Hawk, isn't it? Wildstorm joined DC, Aspen became its own studio and Awesome comics folded.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread