Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Master Fan

Movies you didn't like and WHY

Hey all - since most threads are appreciation threads (by the way, if it's an appreciation thread it MUST say so in the title of the thread or it's fair game for people to post dislikes of the movie), I've decided to start a thread for people to talk about movies you didn't like.

Don't just list the movie - if we get lists, I'll close the thread. Tell us WHY you didn't like it. Also, no bashing or criticizing posters just because they didn't like a movie you did, or vice versa. This is supposed to be a place of discussion and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

So...here goes:

Peter Pan - I thought the sexual innuendo was over the top, even pedaphilic, and inappropriate for a movie about kids that age (teens, perhaps, but not that young). It really creeped me out and made me feel a bit dirty.

Titanic - CRAP! I mean, Leonardo DiCaprio's character should have died an hour earlier, during one of the four billion chances he had to die. Also, I'm just not into the romance and didn't care for the fact that Billy Zane played a bad guy. The technical sequences were interesting, but I don't care for shmaltz.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Extreme Fan

Little Nicky Oh how much I hated this. I didn't even make it to the end of the movie. That kind of 'humour' just isn't my thing. I didn't think it was funny, any of it.

Hmm, right now I can't think up any more ... I'm sure I've hated more though
Old 05-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Loyal Fan

I have to agree about Titanic. It was full of contrived drama (Billy Zane and the gun?!) and bad acting. Along the same lines - Pearl Harbor. I thought the acting was so terrible and the romance aspect so bland. I give props to the wonderful special effects but I don't watch movies for special effects. Special effects make no difference to me in how I rank a film. I do like Josh Hartnett though.

Bruce Almighty was another I should have trusted my instincts on but everyone said it was "great" and "not typical Jim Carrey". It was typical Jim Carrey and it wasn't for me. I am not a fan of his - he gets too over the top for me. Exceptions are Eternal Sunshine and surprisingly I was ok with Dumb and Dumber

Last edited by summerbug; 05-17-2004 at 12:38 PM
Old 05-17-2004, 03:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I have to agree with all of you on Titanic, but am now ashamed to admit that I enjoyed Peter Pan.

Don't get me wrong Mean girls was great , but Confession of a Teenage Drama Queen was crap. It was poorly written and had no significant plot. Words can't even express how horrible that movie was. It's something that you have to see for yourself.
LUCIUS: "Why can you not stop saying what is in yours? Why must you lead, when I want to lead? If I want to dance I will ask you to dance. If I want to speak I will open my mouth and speak. Everyone is forever plaguing me to speak further. Why? What good is it to tell you you are in my every thought from the time I wake? What good can come from my saying that I sometimes cannot think clearly or do my work properly? What gain can rise of my telling you the only time I feel fear as others do is when I think of you in harm? That is why I am on this porch, Ivy Walker. I fear for your safety before all others. And yes, I will dance with you on our wedding night."
Old 05-17-2004, 05:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'll second Bruce Almighty . I rented it to see what the big deal was....last time I ever do that.

~Kat
Old 05-17-2004, 07:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Telli
I have to agree with all of you on Titanic, but am now ashamed to admit that I enjoyed Peter Pan.
Aww - don't feel bad! I know a lot of people liked it, and I even recommended it to a friend who likes that sort of thing, but it just squicked me, you know?

I wasn't planning on watching Bruce Almighty or Pearl Harbor, but thanks to your posts I'm sure I'll never watch them!

Other movies I hated - Forest Gump. My god what an insulting film. Like summerbug, I don't see films just for the special effects, which were very clever in this film. What really bugged me was the fact that it was "okay" to be really at your worst - the message was that everything would not only work out, but you'd wind up getting all you ever desired, which is crap. Plus, it was beyond sappy and shmaltzy, and it really pissed me off - so much so that I started insulting the people who were crying as they left the theater, saying they were saps (not my best/proudest moment, I know), including my grandmother. I expected better of Tom Hanks. Oy!
Old 05-17-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator Support Team

Bend It Like Beckham

I watched this to see what the big deal was. After watching it, I decided it was an overrated piece of crap. No, it wasn't a cultural gap thing that I didn't get. It was simply blah. I could not believe such a crappy movie got nominated for Golden Globes. The idea was good but the script was poorly written, especially the last 5 minutes or so, which I think was probably thrown together by someone in less than 5 minutes and was smoking crack at the time. Most of the movie was repetitive and pointless. This story could be told in 45 minutes. Besides the 2 leading ladies, most of the cast portrayed over the top acting that they tried to disguise as a cultural characteristic. Most importantly, the soccer scenes were laughable and ridiculous. And this was supposed to be a movie about soccer. Was it better if considered solely as a movie about cultural clash? Not really. Everything was too on the surface, too cliche, and too cheesy. I forgot how many times I muttered "WTF" while watching it. Blah.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Loyal Fan

Another person who didn't like Forrest Gump! I don't believe it! I guess maybe because it was so overrated may have been part of the problem for me. Another problem for me is there is quirky and far fetched that can be FUN and there is far fetched that is just to over the top and blah. I didn't see the appeal of Forrest Gump - it felt so overdone and so forced to me. And while the special effects were good I felt they were even a little overrated. I mean, when people are going to brag on special effects like the producers did here I expect it to be perfect
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

'gerry' by gus van sant.....sooooo slow.....it was like watching grass grow.....the only film i can ever remember walking out of....(the first 30 minutes)....
Old 05-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by quarterley
Bend It Like Beckham

I watched this to see what the big deal was. After watching it, I decided it was an overrated piece of crap. No, it wasn't a cultural gap thing that I didn't get. It was simply blah. I could not believe such a crappy movie got nominated for Golden Globes. The idea was good but the script was poorly written, especially the last 5 minutes or so, which I think was probably thrown together by someone in less than 5 minutes and was smoking crack at the time. Most of the movie was repetitive and pointless. This story could be told in 45 minutes. Besides the 2 leading ladies, most of the cast portrayed over the top acting that they tried to disguise as a cultural characteristic. Most importantly, the soccer scenes were laughable and ridiculous. And this was supposed to be a movie about soccer. Was it better if considered solely as a movie about cultural clash? Not really. Everything was too on the surface, too cliche, and too cheesy. I forgot how many times I muttered "WTF" while watching it. Blah.
I actually liked Bend it Like Bekham, but I do see your point. *giggles*

summerbug - I think it might turn out that we have similar taste, which is cool.

mukooh - I'd never even heard of Gerry, and it's got Ben Afflek and Matt Damon! Guess the studio was trying to play it down? But I'll take your warning and not put it in my queue.
Old 05-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Addicted Fan

I love Forrest Gump and Bend it like Beckham.

I really couldn't stand Donnie Darko. It was like a David Lynch film for dopey teenagers who don't know who David Lynch is.

icon credit
Old 05-18-2004, 04:59 PM
Master Fan

Wow.

I can't believe some of your choices!

Donnie Darko is a truly amazing movie. If you didn't like it, you should seriously try watching it again. And Titanic ? Schmaltzy, yeah, but the effects, the direction, Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio, I loved it.

Now for one I don't like? Envy . It was looking to be great. I went, and as I left the theater, all I heard was how it was basically a waste. Though I love Ben Stiller. It just drug on. And on. And on. And on. And on. And you get it.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by QueenBitch
Wow.

I can't believe some of your choices!

Donnie Darko is a truly amazing movie. If you didn't like it, you should seriously try watching it again. And Titanic ? Schmaltzy, yeah, but the effects, the direction, Kate Winslet and Leo DiCaprio, I loved it.
Yeah...it is so hard to believe that people disagree and have differing opinions, isn't it?

I didn't dislike Van Helsing, but I didn't like enough things about it to make me like the whole thing. Yes there was Hugh Jackman, David Wenham, Kate Beckinsale, and vampires, which made me think I'd love it -- but Hugh had ungodly hair, Kate's accent made me want to off myself...David and the vampires were still cool though. But then again, vampires can't help themselves, they just are that way, and David is David.

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
Old 05-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

Sixth Sense - Utter crap, I swear I fell asleep twice trying to watch this movie. It bored me to tears.

Signs - I really, really wanted to like this movie, I like Mel and Joaquin and Aliens but, this was just poop on a stick. Waiting for something ot happen, that never did. The only time i almost fell asleep, AT THE THEATER.

Both were by the same bozo.

Lets see, what other movies did i not like,...

Nothing pops to mind other than those two movies, I didn't really like Van Helsing, hot ass chicks, and Faramir was pretty cool in it. It just was a major let down to me. I think it was trying to hard to be an Indiana Jones movie.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:33 AM
Von Trapp Glory

Aw, Titanic and The Sixth Sense are two of my all-time favorite movies.

Anyway, I utterly despised A Walk To Remember. It was predictable, the acting was horrible and it was just boring. JMHO.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread