Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by steffieweffie:
<STRONG>I have a feeling Peter Jackson, Clint Eastwood and Sofia Coppola will be nominated for Best Director. I'm hoping Tim Burton is. I don't know why he's never been nominated for an Oscar [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] He's a genius.</STRONG>
I have high hopes for "Big Fish".
I also think Tim Burton is a genius. Maybe this year he'll be nominated.

I have doubts about LOTR. Maybe it's because I didn't like the first and didn't bother to watch the other two movies. But it looks weird that only the third movie of the trilogy gets the award for Best Picture.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vitalogy:
<STRONG>But it looks weird that only the third movie of the trilogy gets the award for Best Picture.</STRONG>
How so? After all, aren't awards supposed to be based on merit? Out of the critically acclaimed movies that came out this year, I really do think that the Return of the King deserves this award the most, as it really IS the Best Picture. For me, it's the best one out of the three, the highlight of the trilogy.

The Godfather Parts 1 and 2 won, but the third didn't. Surely Lord of the Rings can do that, but backwards no?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sweet_girl:
<STRONG>
I think Charlize Theron is definetly going to get nominated for Best Actress, and I won't be surprised if she wins. She was amazing in "Monster". The only person I see giving her compatition is Nicole Kidman.
[ 01-06-2004: Message edited sweet_girl ]</STRONG>
I read it everywhere that she is amazing in "Monster"
What is this film about? I've never heard of it [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2004, 02:45 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymike4:
<STRONG>I don't think anything can stop Lord of the Rings from being named Best Picture this year. I'll be shocked if another picture wins.</STRONG>
I wouldnt be shocked...The AMPAS is just a bunch of old folks who hate fantasy.

I want ROTK to win, and will be pleasently suprised if it does win the oscar.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timeo:
<STRONG>

Yeah but it's lost to Lost in Translation (BAD MOVIE) in cities such as Boston Film Critics and Toronto Film Critics Societies. Either way, I don't think that LoTR: RoTK is a lock for winning the Best Picture award. I definitely agree that it will be a lock for being NOMINATED, as I think are Cold Mountain and Lost in Translation (though both of these are such incredibly ASS movies, imo).

Anyways, RoTK won't be nominated for Best Original Score due to the fact that new Academy regulations saying that you can't have any repetition of previous themes from movies that came before in a series of movies (ie trilogies in the case of LoTR), which sucks because the soundtrack for the Return of the King has a much heavier emphasis on the theme and melody of Gondor as opposed to the Rohan music heard in TTT...argh. I'm happy that Howard Shore won on the first time though, so that's something of a consolation.</STRONG>

Actually Shore IS eligibile for best score, this came down like 2 days ago.

Yes ROTK, did lose to LiT in 2 film circles, but ROTK has twice to three times as many wins in critics awards (who would have thunk it?) and PJ has a 2 to 1 win ratio over Sofia Coppola.

And to add to the fact that LiT might not even get a BP nod, so I dont really see any compeition coming from LiT

The only locks as I see it now are ROTK and Mystic River.

Then you have 4 movies for the remaining 3 spots

Master and Commander, Lost in Translation, Cold Mountain and Seabiscuit.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDeluxe:
<STRONG>Actually Shore IS eligibile for best score, this came down like 2 days ago.</STRONG>
Oh really? Well that can only bode good things for him then.

Quote:
Yes ROTK, did lose to LiT in 2 film circles, but ROTK has twice to three times as many wins in critics awards (who would have thunk it?) and PJ has a 2 to 1 win ratio over Sofia Coppola.

And to add to the fact that LiT might not even get a BP nod, so I dont really see any compeition coming from LiT
Actually, it lost to Lost in Translation in several other circles as well (San Francisco, New York Online etc), and to other movies as well (American Splendour in a few places), but that's irrelevant. General concensus seems to be that Peter Jackson will win for Best Director, but Best Director doesn't necessarily guarantee Best Picture (a la The Pianist with Roman Polanski and Chicago...was that last year?)

Unlike you, I think that Lost in Translation is definitely a lock. I see Mystic River, RoTK, Lost in Translation as the three locks and Cold Mountain and Seabiscuit filling in the other two contenders (sad to say). The Academy loves feel good movies (ie Seabiscuit) that feature actors overcome whatever they need to overcome and ****. Just one of those conventions.

For the actors and actresses, who knows. I don't really pay attention to acting.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

I hope Sean Penn wins something. He deserves it, he blew me away in Mystic river.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Extreme Fan

It's going to be a battle between Penn and Murray. I think that both are being considered overdue for this award but Penn seems to have more around his performances.

I think that Naomi Watts has a very good chance of winning the Oscar this year. The buzz has died down a bit on her performance in 21 grams yet I think she's one of the stronger female's this year. While all the buzz is around Charlize, I think the whole 'transformation from beauty to less then beauty' is becoming an unwanted trend. But then again, I haven't seen Monster yet so feel free to disagree.

[ 01-08-2004: Message edited crazymike4 ]
Old 01-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Passionate Fan

ROTK just won another bunch of critic awards. THe Utah Film critics gave ROTK its best picture, best director and best supporting actor.

ROTK now has 9 best picture wins, compared to 3 for LiT and 3 for AS

Peter Jackson now has a 3 to 1 advantage of wins 12 to coppola's 4.

In both races ROTK is strong.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:41 PM
New Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>
General concensus seems to be that Peter Jackson will win for Best Director, but Best Director doesn't necessarily guarantee Best Picture (a la The Pianist with Roman Polanski and Chicago...was that last year?)

</STRONG>
Yep that was last year. Chicago didn't deserve Best Picture in my opinion. It should have got Best Actress for Renee, but other than that it wasn't the Best Picture so I really don't understand why the stupid Academy would give it to them. The Pianist was 10 times better. The Pianist was robbed, dammit.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Though I don't agree about Renee, I do agree that Chicago wasn't the Best Picture last year. I'm still in shock that the Academy didn't even bother to nominate Far From Heaven.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by anythingyouwant:
<STRONG>Chicago didn't deserve Best Picture in my opinion. It should have got Best Actress for Renee, but other than that it wasn't the Best Picture so I really don't understand why the stupid Academy would give it to them. The Pianist was 10 times better. The Pianist was robbed, dammit.</STRONG>
I thought Catherine was TEN times better than Renee. Sure Renee wasn't bad, but she wasn't "splendiferous" (to quote Richard Gere's character) either whereas Catherine Zeta Jones was much better. As for Chicago winning the Best Motion Picture award, it was one of the few times that I actually agreed with them. I also saw the Pianist and Far From Heaven, but didn't like them as much as I liked Chicago. Then again I DID miss the first three minutes or so of The Pianist, but I saw most of it...and wasn't as impressed as the reaction that I got from Chicago.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDeluxe:
<STRONG>THe Utah Film critics gave ROTK its best picture, best director and best supporting actor.</STRONG>
Best Supporting Actor to whom? Sean Astin or Sir Ian McKellen? I doubt the Academy would nominate either of the two, let alone allow them the wins, but who knows.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>

I thought Catherine was TEN times better than Renee. Sure Renee wasn't bad, but she wasn't "splendiferous" (to quote Richard Gere's character) either whereas Catherine Zeta Jones was much better. As for Chicago winning the Best Motion Picture award, it was one of the few times that I actually agreed with them. I also saw the Pianist and Far From Heaven, but didn't like them as much as I liked Chicago. Then again I DID miss the first three minutes or so of The Pianist, but I saw most of it...and wasn't as impressed as the reaction that I got from Chicago.</STRONG>

Can I get a Amen! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I thought Catherine was the best thing about that movie. She deserved the Oscar more than anyone from that movie. The critics kept saying Renee stoled the movie, but I didn't think so. I loved Renee in it, but Catherine is perfect for a musical.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 01-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Fan

I think it would be so cool if Bill Murray won the Oscar.

Do you guys think he has a chance?

[ 01-09-2004: Message edited MARIAROCKS000 ]

"I know who you are..."

"It's all fun and games 'till one of you gets my foot up your ass."
Closed Thread   Post New Thread