Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Extreme Fan

Oscar Watch - Who do you think will be nominated?

I'm not sure if it's alright for me to start this thread but hopefully it is.

I'm a huge Oscar fanatic and love to discuss who might get nominated. Any others have any expectations/hopes for the upcoming Academy Awards?
Old 12-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Loyal Fan

I definitely think Mystic River will be nominated for best film, best actor (Sean Penn), and best director (Eastwood). Other than that I'm not really sure but I'm sure The Last Samurai will probably be nominated as well and of course ROTK.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts."
-Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm pretty much 100% convinced that Nicole Kidman will be nominated for Cold Mountain. Sean Penn seems like a shoe-in for best actor(though it could be for either Mystic River or 21 Grams). The best actor and actress race is going to be very very interesting.

Looks like Renee has a fair chance @ winning an Oscar this year(a supporting actress one atleast).
Old 12-04-2003, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

I think Big Fish has a big chance of being nominated. They are saying has a Forrest Gump feel to it. Tim Burton is very deserving of being nominated and he deserves the win, if not him, then Clint Eastwood for Mystic River or Ron Howard for The Missing.

I think Cold Mountain will be big on nominations. I don't think Russell Crowe will be nominated and Tom Cruise might not be nominated. If either are nominated, they won't win. I heard that there have been better performances by others. Ewan McGregor will get nominated. They are saying it's his best performance and he owns Big Fish.

Julia Roberts may or may not get nominated. Cate Blanchett might get a nomination as well. Bill murray will be nominated for Lost in Translation.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Peter Jackson better get a nomination for Best Director, RotK will definetly get nominated for Best Picture. I think Ian Mckellen and Sean Astin will be the only actors nominated from RotK, for Supporting Actor. Not sure who they'll run against yet.

Nicole Kidman is going to get a Best Actress nomination for sure. I hope Cate Blanchett gets one for The Missing, I haven't even seen the movie but she's a great actress. I think Gwyneth Paltrow might get one for Sylvia, but I don't know about anyone else.

Best Actor Nominations - definetly Sean Penn for Mystic River, same with Bill Murray for Lost in Translation. Russell Crowe for Master & Commander but I don't think he'll win, and either Jude Law for Cold Mountain or Tobey Maguire for Seabiscuit, as far as I can see. I don't think Tom Cruise will get nominated for The Last Samurai.

Best Supporting Actress - Renee Zellweger is all I can think of.

Best Picture - Mystic River, RotK, Lost in Translation, Seabiscuit, and Cold Mountain are my guesses.

[ 12-04-2003: Message edited Margarita Salt ]
Old 12-04-2003, 07:18 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by steffieweffie:
<STRONG>Ewan McGregor will get nominated. They are saying it's his best performance and he owns Big Fish.

Julia Roberts may or may not get nominated. Cate Blanchett might get a nomination as well. Bill murray will be nominated for Lost in Translation.</STRONG>

I comepletey forgot Ewan McGregor, but now that you mention it I have to agree. I've been hearing good things about him in that movie, so it wouldn't surprise me if he gets nominated. Julia Roberts I'm not so sure about, but if she is nominated I doubt she'll win.

[ 12-04-2003: Message edited Margarita Salt ]
Old 12-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Extreme Fan

The commercials for House of Sand and Fog give me the chills. I heard Jennifer Connely and Ben Kingsley are amazing so I would expect them two to be nominated.

Has anyone seen Master and Commander? Is it Oscar-worthy?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Addicted Fan

I haven't seen it, but Mystic River is definitely getting a lot of nominations.

I hope Lost in Translation is nominated for Best Picture, along with Bill Murray for Actor (and it seems that there's a big chance he will be), although I don't know if Scarlett Johansson would be considered Actress or Supporting Actress. Anyway, love that movie. Much luck to it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ohh, and I hope Tobey Maguire for Seabiscuit. He rocked in that. Chris Cooper did, too, though not as much as he did in Adaptation.

icon credit
Old 12-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Best Picture
ROTK
Cold Mountain
Mystic River
In America
Big Fish

Best Director
Peter Jackson ROTK
Clint Eastwood- Mystic River
Tim Burton- Big Fish
Jim Sheridan- In America
Cold Mountain- Anthony Minghilla

Best Actor
Sean Penn-Mystic River
Tom Cruise-The Last Samurai
Ben Kingsley-The house of sand and fog
Bill Murray-Lost in Translation
Jude Law-Cold MOuntain

Best Actress
Charleze Theron- Monster
Naomi Watts- 21 grams
Jennifer Connelly- House of Sand and Fog
Nicole Kidman- Cold Mountain
Kate Blanchett- The missing
Old 12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I hope Ewan McGregor gets a nomination for Big Fish. He deserved one for Moulin Rouge but was completely looked over. I also think that Big Fish should be nominated for movie (and win).

The only lock for Best Picutre is ROTK I think. For all the other movies and categories I'm not sure what's going to make it and what won't.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Supreme Fan

Anything Lost In Translation is fine with me cause i simply adore this movie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Mystic River is also great since Sean Penn as always is brilliant and id like my fav actress Cate Blanchett get a nod for Veronica Guerin [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
|||~{@ |||
Old 12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Addicted Fan

Best Picture

~Mystic River
~Return of the King
~Big Fish
~Cold Mountain
~House of Sand and Fog

Best Actor

~Bill Murray (Lost In Translation)
~Ben Kingsley (House of Sand and Fog)
~Ewan McGregor (Big Fish)
~Paul Giamatti (American Splendor)
~Sean Penn (Mystic River/21 Grams)

Best Actress

~Nicole Kidman (Cold Mountain)
~Naomi Watts (21 Grams)
~Charlize Theron (Monster)
~Jennifer Connelly (House of Sand & Fog)
~Cate Blanchett (The Missing/Veronica Guerin)

Best Supporting Actor

~Alec Baldwin (The Cooler)
~Tim Robbins (Mystic River)
~Viggo Mortensen (Return of the King)
~Paul Bettany (Master and Commander)
~Benicio Del Toro (21 Grams)

Best Supporting Actress

~Laura Linney (Mystic River)
~Emma Thompson (Love Actually)
~Renee Zellwegger (Cold Mountain)
~Patricia Clarkson (The Station Agent)
~Scarlett Johannsen (Lost In Translation)

Best Director

~Sofia Coppola (Lost In Translation)
~Tim Burton (Big Fish)
~Clint Eastwood (Mystic River)
~Peter Jackson (Return of the King)
~Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu (21 Grams)

Those are my bets!

MeG [img]smilies/love.gif[/img]

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited ^LusciouS^ ]
Old 12-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Laura Linney over Marcia Gay Harden?

Wow :-)

props to you if that happens!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

I totally think Nicole should get a nod this year.

And I honestly think Johnny Depp should get a nod for Pirates of the Carribean. It may not be your conventional type of nomination as mostly the Academy tend to prefer serious roles, but the buzz surrounding the excellence of Depp's performance is a positive indication he could get a nomination. I mean who woulda thought Eminem would win an Oscar? For Best Song albeit, but did you really expect it? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Leeann
xx
Old 12-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, pearl jam is a strong contender for best song as well..and who would have thought that.

I agree Depp has buzz, but I really dont know who to take off outta my top 5..so its on the outside looking in imho ;-)