Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Master Fan

I have to say Sean Astin at least deserves a nod, but he probably won't get one. He probably will be overlooked. He did a great job in ROTK. ROTK is for sure going to get nominated. And I think it might have a chance to win...besides being a great movie and well deserving of the award. It would be fitting...the last two years LOTR lost out to other films. I think the academy will be having that on their mind when they vote.

Yeah all the hype Cold Mountain has been making me groan. It seems like it would be a good movie, but all the hype makes me not want to see it.

[ 12-22-2003: Message edited The Seannaholic Wench ]
Old 12-22-2003, 02:42 AM
Master Fan

Best song, I think Annie Lenox will get a nod. The song was pretty as hell. It would be interesting to see her performing it and then maybe Billy Boyd perform it with her. But we can only hope [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 05:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

I agree about Cold Mountain, it is way overrated but I think even the Academy knows that.

As far as Tom Cruise is concened..."the last samurai" may be a very good movie but not the kind of movie that would win him the oscar! Maybe next year....

Old 12-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Passionate Fan

ROTK is sweeping up the critics awards and top ten lists [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

look out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2003, 12:24 AM
Master Fan

Someone mentioned on another board that the voting may not be fair. Not only are screeners not being given out this year, making it harder for the Academy members to see all of the movies nominated, but the ballot goes out on Jan. 2nd and is due back with votes on Jan. 17th. This will make the members vote for movies that either they were given a chance to see, or movies that are getting good reviews. They might even vote based on who hasn't received an Oscar after being nominated many times. I guess what I am saying, the votes may not be based on performances.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 01-05-2004, 06:33 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm kind of hoping that Evan Rachel Wood can make her way into the Oscar nominees. I don't see it happening but it'd be amazing if she could.. I could see her taking Connelly's place and having the nods be: Keaton, Kidman, Theron, Watts, and herself. I guess we'll have to see.

Theron seems to be unstoppable with the critics awards. I love Nicole but the buzz doesn't seem to be around her this year.. I'd love for Watts to take home the award though.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:12 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by steffieweffie:
<STRONG>Someone mentioned on another board that the voting may not be fair. Not only are screeners not being given out this year, making it harder for the Academy members to see all of the movies nominated, but the ballot goes out on Jan. 2nd and is due back with votes on Jan. 17th. This will make the members vote for movies that either they were given a chance to see, or movies that are getting good reviews. They might even vote based on who hasn't received an Oscar after being nominated many times. I guess what I am saying, the votes may not be based on performances.</STRONG>
Was the voting ever fair?

I always heard that lots of the people who voted were guys around 80 years old that didn't have the patience to watch all the movies. So, they just opened Variety or some magazine or newspaper and read what was writen about the nominated movies.
I'm not sure if that's fair, but all my life, I've been hearing about people voting without having watched the movies.

Anyway, I hope Big Fish or Cold Mountain win.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:53 AM
Passionate Fan

My prediction:

Best motion picture
Cold mountain
Return of the king
Lost in translation
Mystic river
The last samurai

Best actor
Jude Law -CM
Sean Penn - MR
Bill Murray - LiT
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the caribbean
Tom Cruise - TLS

Best actress
Nicole Kidman - CM
Scarlett Johansson - LiT
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill
Helen Mirren - Calendar girls
Charlize Theron - Monster

Best Director
Peter Jackson - ROTK
Clint Eastwood - MR
Sofia Coppola - LiT
Anthony Minghella - CM
... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 08:52 AM
Passionate Fan

Over the last several days ROTK has basically swept everything.

It has won the major awards at the Kansas City, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Online film critics awards.

It has also gotten a PGA nod, and was made eligible for best score, and Sound editing.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Extreme Fan

I don't think anything can stop Lord of the Rings from being named Best Picture this year. I'll be shocked if another picture wins.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Master Fan

There was an article I read about the oscars and how since the voting period is so short, movies that have been released for some time will have a better advantage, vs. a movie that was recently released the last few weeks of the year. This is due to the studios not sending screeners, so the Academy members might not get a chance to see these nominated movies, especially when from Thanksgiving up until Christmas is usually when the Oscar campaign is in full swing. So there is a good possibility that LOTR will win Best Picture this year. I also heard that it could be unlikely that it wins because it's the third part of a movie and awarding the Oscar to the last installment is like saying only 1/3 of the movie was good. I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard good things about it. If Big Fish isn't nominated for Best Picture, then I want LOTR to win.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 01-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperDeluxe:
<STRONG>It has won the major awards at the Kansas City, Dallas, Las Vegas, and Online film critics awards.

It has also gotten a PGA nod, and was made eligible for best score, and Sound editing.</STRONG>
Yeah but it's lost to Lost in Translation (BAD MOVIE) in cities such as Boston Film Critics and Toronto Film Critics Societies. Either way, I don't think that LoTR: RoTK is a lock for winning the Best Picture award. I definitely agree that it will be a lock for being NOMINATED, as I think are Cold Mountain and Lost in Translation (though both of these are such incredibly ASS movies, imo).

Anyways, RoTK won't be nominated for Best Original Score due to the fact that new Academy regulations saying that you can't have any repetition of previous themes from movies that came before in a series of movies (ie trilogies in the case of LoTR), which sucks because the soundtrack for the Return of the King has a much heavier emphasis on the theme and melody of Gondor as opposed to the Rohan music heard in TTT...argh. I'm happy that Howard Shore won on the first time though, so that's something of a consolation.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by crazymike4:
<STRONG>I don't think anything can stop Lord of the Rings from being named Best Picture this year. I'll be shocked if another picture wins.</STRONG>
I'll be outraged if the academy gives it to another picture. Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece and its high time the Acedmy gave it the awards it deserves.

I think Charlize Theron is definetly going to get nominated for Best Actress, and I won't be surprised if she wins. She was amazing in "Monster". The only person I see giving her compatition is Nicole Kidman.

Sean Penn is a lock for Best Actor, and I'm hoping Sean Astin gets to take home Best Supporting Actor but I'm not counting on it.

[ 01-06-2004: Message edited sweet_girl ]
Old 01-07-2004, 01:26 AM
New Fan

Best Picture:
Return of the King
Lost in Translation
Cold Mountain
Mystic River
Big Fish

Best Director:
Peter Jackson
Clint Eastwood
Tim Burton
Can't think of the rest.....

Best Actor
Jude Law
Sean Penn
Bill Murray
Russel Crow
Ewan McGregor

Best Actress:
Jennifer Connelly
Nicole Kidman
Scarlett Johansson
Gwyneth Paltrow
Charlize Theron
Old 01-07-2004, 01:32 AM
Master Fan

The Directors Guild Nominations were released today:

Peter Jackson, ROTK
Clint Eastwood, Mystic River
Sofia Coppola, Lost in Translation
Peter Weir, Master and Commander
Gary Ross, Seabiscuit

This could be what we see at the Oscars..with maybe a few changes. I have a feeling Peter Jackson, Clint Eastwood and Sofia Coppola will be nominated for Best Director. I'm hoping Tim Burton is. I don't know why he's never been nominated for an Oscar [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] He's a genius.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Closed Thread   Post New Thread