Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 09:09 PM
Loyal Fan

I really want to see Penny Serenade. I hear it's supposed to be a sort of sweet/caring role for Grant. Is that true?

Also, where do you guys rent your classic movies from? Video rental stores or the library?

Well, I'm already a Grant fan, and I've only seen seven of his movies. I have a few I am dying to see, such as: An Affair to Remember, Once Upon a Time, and Bringing Up Baby. Well, I'll have to keep a tally.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's still Streetcar for me. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 08-13-2003, 02:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Once Upon A Time, oh that one was strange [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I don't rent most of my movies, I have to buy them, and mostly off ebay. Not many good stores around here, although my uni library has a pretty good video collection [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I've a very expensive hobby!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] but always worth it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And I'm stretching a bit into TV shows as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 08:58 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeOfYourLife:
<STRONG>I really want to see Penny Serenade. I hear it's supposed to be a sort of sweet/caring role for Grant. Is that true?

Also, where do you guys rent your classic movies from? Video rental stores or the library?
</STRONG>
Yeah, the role is sweet but sort of naive about married life.

I always reserve movies from the library. Sometimes, if I find a movie I've been wanting to see for really cheap, I'll buy it, but otherwise I check the library first. Sadly, they don't always have what I want, like with the movie The Bride Wore Red. I really want to see it because Joan Crawford and Dickie Moore are my favorites and they're both in it.

Okay, now it's time for what I've seen lately:
Spellbound. I didn't know today was Alfred Hitchcock's birthday, but it says so on Google. Anyways, I watched it and found out that Gregory Peck is swoonworthy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I kind of liked it but I don't know if it is a movie I'd want to see again now that I know the ending.
I also watched Broken Blossoms last night. I was getting annoyed with all of the coming-straight-at-the-camera shots. It was like it was suposed to be scary when it really wasn't. I really like Lillian Gish. Sometimes though it was hard to feel the supposed love story.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 08-13-2003, 09:56 AM
New Fan

It's been mentioned a few times, but not nearly enough: It Happened One Night, 1934, with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. Seriously? Greatest romantic comedy ever made. It won five Oscars--Actor, Actress, Director, Picture, and Screenplay I think. On a side note, it completely destroyed the men's undergarment industry due to the scene where Clark Gable takes off his shirt revealing bare chest instead of a wifebeater. Anyway, this movie is beyond great. About a rich heiress whose controlling dad is trying to force her to annul her impromptu marriage...she runs away to meet her husband and meets up with a newspaper reporter who travels with her by bus, foot, hitchhiking, stolen car, etc. SO, so great. So many one-liners and comic looks. And of course, finally, when the "walls of Jericho" come down... [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img] Heh. Watch it, I promise you'll love it.
Rum Runner #2
Breakfast Clubber #42

...you’re so hypnotic on my heart...
Old 08-13-2003, 10:06 PM
Master Fan

I just saw Meet John Doe (with Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck) and it was sooo good! The story was so heartfelt [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] I can't imagine this movie having the same affect it had if it were in color [img]smilies/nono.gif[/img]

[ 08-14-2003: Message edited artist ]
Old 08-13-2003, 10:11 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by silverscreen07:
<STRONG> And of course, finally, when the "walls of Jericho" come down... [img]smilies/eyebrows.gif[/img] Heh. Watch it, I promise you'll love it.</STRONG>
That's one of the best cinematic moments ever [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm seeing it on Sunday, at the cinema [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] can't wait!!! It's a double-bill with Lost Horizon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Meet John Doe as well. That picure from it I actually have on my wall as well [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] What I adore most though is Barbara's very passionate/hysterical speech at the end...wonderful performance!!!

Ooh and The Lady Eve also...marvellous [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-14-2003: Message edited Profaine Angel ]
Old 09-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Passionate Fan

I just watched The Plastic Age with Clara Bow. I don't know what it is, but I really like movies with her in them. Not really for the movies themselves, but just to see her.

"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 09-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Addicted Fan

We keep losing posts!! [img]smilies/nono.gif[/img] Where were we before? Dickie Moore adoration is all I remember [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 06:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, Dickie Moore stuff- talking about libraries. I asked for the Lux Radio website again because it was lost before.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Addicted Fan

www.fairpickings.com [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And I said a friend of mine made my media blvd sig thingy - no way I could do that by myself!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Tonight I just saw the film 'You Can't Take It With You' starring James Stewart (always amazing and adorable to watch) and Jean Auther. I didn't know they did two films together, that and 'Mr.Smith..'. But I loved this movie. Really funny. I also loved the idea of the film, that you can live however you want as long as you're happy. I clapped when the film ended, which I've never done before. And I like Frank Capra too, so I was pleased all around [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
-Rachael
Old 10-02-2003, 03:13 AM
Addicted Fan

I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] You Can't Take It With You! The crazy, good-hearted family [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Shamefully, I haven't watched a good movie in ages! [img]smilies/nono.gif[/img] Someone recommend me something, I always take so long deciding and then just grab the nearest Barbara film [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Passionate Fan

I haven't seen that movie yet. From my experience, I actually tend to NOT like Capra movies. I didn't like Mr. Smith and I didn't like Platinum Blonde, ect. But I do want to see that... Lionel Barrymore is in it, right? I like him, much much more than John. Can anyone clarify- is Drew Barrymore related to them?

As a recommendation, I'd have to say Blonde Venus with Marlene Dietrich just because I know you like Cary Grant and Dickie Moore is also in it. (Butt shot- haha. He's just adorable.) I watched it today. That movie is hard to find reasonably priced online though because it is out of print.

Thanks for the website. As soon as I can gather up enough money, I'm getting the Mary Pickford stuff. I just love her!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:30 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
<STRONG>I haven't seen that movie yet. From my experience, I actually tend to NOT like Capra movies. I didn't like Mr. Smith and I didn't like Platinum Blonde, ect. But I do want to see that... Lionel Barrymore is in it, right? I like him, much much more than John. Can anyone clarify- is Drew Barrymore related to them?
</STRONG>

To be honest, I didn't care much for Mr. Smith either, and still haven't seen Platinum Blonde. I didn't *love* Mr. Deeds as well, though I did thoroughly enjoy it, but overall I like Capra. It's not just my bias (I promise!) but I honestly think his best films were the ones he made with Barbara Stanwyck. All of them were sheer perfection from beginning to end.

Yes, Lionel B was the grandfather [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And he was related to Drew, so was John and of course Ethel. Hang on, I'll find the details because I'm a bit fuzzy on how they're all related.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Granddaughter of actor John Barrymore.
[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Great-granddaughter of actor Maurice Costello.
[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Daughter of John Drew Barrymore and Jaid Barrymore.
[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Granddaughter of actress Dolores Costello.

Which I guess would make Lionel and Ethel her great-uncle and great-aunt. Quite a dynasty there [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I shall be seeing Blonde Venus soon! I was looking at the 'further viewing' for the week my group is doing its presentation in class and they are Blonde Venus, Shanghai Express and Morocco. The library has the former two on LD so I'll watch them both there. I just have to track down Morocco within the next 2 weeks [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'd really like to be able to relate that week's film (which is The Night Porter) to the further viewing...even if I can only see two of three, that'd be enough. And I know no one else will really bother to see them anyway!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread