Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Passionate Fan

Mukooh thanks so much. I definitly will see that. [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
Master Fan

I dunno if I posted this, but A Hard Day's Night is my fav Black and White movie. It's such a classic movie. If they had put it in color, it would have ruined it.

Make Love, Not War
Stefanie
Old 07-22-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Fan

I absolutely love black & white movies! Some of my favs are:

Roman Holiday
Casablanca
The Philadelphia Story
Bringing Up Baby
Sabrina
It's A Wonderful Life
Wuthering Heights

There are so many more though, I'm obsessed with old movies. I've been on a Katharine Hepburn kick for almost three months now, her stuff is great.

[ 07-22-2003: Message edited *Justine* ]
Old 07-23-2003, 12:04 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Justine*:
<STRONG>Roman Holiday
Casablanca
</STRONG>
Hehe. Someone finally understands!

I'd probably agree with the other movies on your list, but I've yet to see them. I really want to see Sabrina.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
<STRONG>Hey, if I started up a movie recommendation thread, would you guys have stuff to post on it?
[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Are you kidding, I could post till the cows came home [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I could dance till the cows come home. On second thought, I'd rather dance with the cows till you come home

But how about just leaving the recommendations here instead of in a new thread. And for Buster Keaton, I recommend Our Hospitality, first full-length silent I saw so it has a dear place in my heart. I love Keaton's shorts generally more than his full features though. Ones like The Electric House, The Boat, The Frozen North, One Week, Cops...not sure how easy they are to get ahold of though. They just show them on TV here when there's a huge gap between programmes, and they're never scheduled in the listings so it's always a gamble!!
Old 07-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Loyal Fan

Wuthering Heights
Bringing Up Baby
Casablanca
It Happened One Night
Old 07-23-2003, 10:26 PM
Dedicated Fan

There are so many!

It Happened One Night
Roman Holiday
Love in the Afternoon
Psycho (color would ruin it!)
The Apartment
Streetcar Named Desire
Red River
The Misfits
Some Like It Hot
All About Eve
Bachelor Mother
Don't Bother To Knock
To Kill A Mockingbird
Red Dust
The Hustler
Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Postman Always Rings Twice

ALso I have to mention every Fred and Ginger movie. Actually, every Fred Astaire movie in black in white that he ever made [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img] Audrey [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 02:25 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli_Dean:
<STRONG>
Psycho (color would ruin it!)</STRONG>
Not that I have seen Psycho yet but from what I have seen, I agree! Colour sometimes makes things look a bit too gaudy and takes away from the movie. It's quite funny to think of some b&w films in colour, or vice-versa - the classy 30s musicals, like Fred & Ginger ones, and showstoppers like 42nd Street just wouldn't work in colour, whereas most 40s and 50s musicals would just look plain in b&w. Reckon so?
Old 07-24-2003, 04:43 AM
Addicted Fan

I watched Fred and Ginger movie last night - Shall We Dance. I loved it, I pretty much love all of their movies. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'm on a roll, I think I'll watch Follow The Fleet tonight, but my favourite Fred and Ginger movie is Top Hat. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Fabulous!

- Erin, from TWOP.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh ... how wonderful to find a group of people who love black and white movies [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

And its unbelievable that somebody else loves Penny Serenade .. I LOVE this movie

Rebecca is also great ... but I like pretty much anything Hitchock

There are so many more and when I start thinking of more titles my mind just goes BLANK [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by EarlGrayHot:
<STRONG>
And its unbelievable that somebody else loves Penny Serenade .. I LOVE this movie</STRONG>
How could anyone not love it???? Anyone with a heart that is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2003, 05:12 PM
Loyal Fan

I just meant that so far I've not met anyone who'd even heard of Penny Serenade !! So when I saw that listed as someone elses fave ... I was totally shocked!!

How's this for a b&w ... not so old though

Young Frankenstein [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Passionate Fan

I watched The Misfits and Grand Hotel again yesterday. I wish I had cable. There is something special about seeing a rare, old, black and white movie on tv rather than making the effort to rent it or buy it and then watch it.

PS Did you guys know that there is a colorized version of Penny Serenade? I looked it up to reserve at my library since you guys all are raving about it and two versions came up. And our library system has more copies of the color one than the original.

[ 07-25-2003: Message edited Maliejandra ]
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 07-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Dedicated Fan

ProfaneAngel: yes I agree. Some are much better in Black and White where some are much better in color. And then a few rare ones are good in both. The Wizard Of Oz wouldn't be the same if it didn't have that amazing scene of Dorothy opening the door and all of sudden she steps into color!

I just watched a Jean Harlow marathon last night on TCM. They were all great, particularly Bombshell. I also realized how gorgeous Robert Taylor is. I had no idea!

Yes Fred and Ginger movies are all so marvelous. They are perfect when your feeling depressed because they are so lively, humorous, and magical that you can't help it to smile and feel better. I've seen all 10 myself. I'm not sure which is my favorite. They all have something I love from each of them. I think if I had to pick one, though, it would be Swing Time.

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img] audrey [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Loyal Fan

I REALLY don't like it when b&w movies are colorized !!! I know sometimes they work ... but I just prefer when you get to see it the way it was meant to be seen!!

Great observations about the effect of Fred&Ginger movies ... ITA ... They always make me feel better/lighter ... the RLS doesn't weigh as heavy after spending some time with those two [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread