Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2004, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Last week, was Lillian Gish week at the Portuguese Cinemathèque, and I have to say I fell in love with her.
I watched:
The Birth of a Nation: I hated the story. Really, seeing the KKK as big heroes was too much for my stomach. I understand how important this movie was to cinema (Griffith invented cross-cut, close-up and all that) but the movie made me sick. Lillian Gish was pretty, though.
Broken Blossoms: I changed my working schedule to watch this and it was worth the effort. I adored the story (though I prefered the word 'chink' wasn't repeated all the time). It was such a beautiful movie and Lillian Gish was great in it.
The Scarlett Letter: I wasn't going to watch this, but then I felt like it. I adored it and became officially in love with Lillian Gish. She's beautiful and wonderful. And I loved to know she fought to have this movie made (it was a banned story but she wrote letters asking for a chance to make it). She chose the actors and the director. By the way, she chose a great director: Victor Sjostrom.

I can't really compare her with Mary Pickford because I've only seen Pickford in few short movies that I can't remember the titles.
I'll need a Pickford retrospective at the Cinemathèque. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2004, 03:53 AM
Addicted Fan

A bit of catch-up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
I saw Clash By Night and it reminded me too much of A Streetcar Named Desire which I didn't like. But Marilyn was very pretty in it. I'm suprised you didn't remember her Profaine Angel.
Hey, with Barbara on screen, it'd be amazing if I noticed anyone else [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Did you at all like Clash By Night? I loved it. I also loved Streetcar but I found it absolutely painful. The performances were amazing but the story - especially the ending - just tore my heart out!

Of all the Marx Bros films I have seen, Love Happy would be near the bottom of the list. I love A Night At The Opera the best I think [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
I got a double feature DVD with some James Cagney musical I think called Something to Sing About and with the Carole Lombard movie from 1937 in technicolor- I don't remember what it is called.
Nothing Sacred? If so, yay! I love it.

My favourite Gish movie has to be The Wind. It was stunning! And the gallopping horse as the wind I actually found really frightening, it was so real.

Aww, I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] The Palm Beach Story! I watched it right on the tail of Midnight though so I get them confused. Was it the one with the 'Ale and Quail' club? That freaking cracked me up! But it was odd. Loved the film though. Of course Claudette Colbert is always fantastic as is Joel McCrea [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] but it has the added bonus of Mary Astor whom I also absolutely am in love with [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Fan

I missed The Wind. It was shown last friday, but I really had to work that afternoon. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I loved A Streetcar: I think it's a movie about tortured souls with great acting. I love Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando in that movie.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Passionate Fan

Yeah, the Carole Lombard movie is Nothing Sacred. I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I did watch The Show Off the other day though. Louise Brooks is in it. It really wasn't bad and the score was really good. Although I wouldn't say Louise Brooks stole the show because she didn't. It was just refreshing to watch since I didn't like Pandora's Box and I couldn't get through the beginning of Diary of a Lost Girl.

I started watching The Postman Always Rings Twice today. I thought that movie was a comedy all this time and it confused me because it was so dramatic and serious. I only wanted to see it because it was always under my recommendations on Amazon. I didn't get all that far into it but it was really boring me.
I did notice that Lana Turner reminds me a lot of Katherine Heigl though.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 03-31-2004, 08:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

Last night I saw the movie In Name Only, with Carol Lombard and Cary Grant. I've never even heard of the movie before I saw it, but I really liked it. First movie I've seen with Carol Lombard in it and she was good. Cary Grant was great as always. I really loved his character, just a guy who loved a girl and the girl's daughter and wanted a divorce. It's funny though in a way because when I was watching it I was so afraid that one of them would die. Like Cary's wife in the movie (who didn't want to divorce him) would kill either him or his girlfriend. And in the end spoilerhe almost died end spoiler. But I'm glad I was wrong! It was a good movie.
-rachael [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Yeah, the Carole Lombard movie is Nothing Sacred. I still haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
You'll love it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's very funny. Very cynical.

Pandora's Box I know I have seen but it's escaping me now. I really did like it though, even though it started to feel a bit long at the two hour mark [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Was it the Jack the Ripper one? I think? I just find the whole Jack the Ripper thing fascinating in any case.

I quite liked The Postman Always Rings Twice but I saw it close on the tail of Double Indemnity so I was in the right mood and all. They're really quite similar. I much much much prefer Double Indemnity over Postman but then Barbara Stanwyck is just a much better actress than Lana Turner. Who I do think was at top form in Postman, however. Who's Katherine Heigl?

Hi Rachael! I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] In Name Only as well. It was so heart wrenching! [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Fan

Hi [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

I have very little time. So, quick post:

Pandora's Box: I love for 2 reasons:
- Jack the Ripper. I love the ending.
- Louise Brooks and the way her eyes glow at the end. I adore her.

The Postman always Rings Twice: I liked it a lot mostly because of the end. It surprised me and I like to be surprised. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Katherine Heighl is the actress who played Isabel in Roswell, the tv show. Lots of people here, in FF, are Roswell fans.
I never noticed resemblances between her and Lana Turner though.

bye,
Anabela

[ 04-02-2004: Message edited Vitalogy ]
Old 04-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Passionate Fan

I remember hating Louise Brooks at first. I thought she was a self righteous whore for the most part. Then I started reading some things about her and they all seemed to confirm what I was thinking. Then I saw her in Pandora's Box and I was kind of awed by how vivacious she seemed on screen in the first scenes. (Yes, it is the Jack the Ripper movie.)
But the time I really realized I liked her was when I saw her on the Hollywood documentary about Clara Bow and John Gilbert. She loved Clara Bow. She was so animated and happy and fun and true when she talked about her and I realized we both have a passion for Clara Bow. How could I hate someone similar to myself? That probably sounds silly, but I really did start to like her after that.

I watched Something to Sing About last night. My first James Cagney musical. I was in awe of him; I've only seen him in gangster films before so this was completely a shock. I loved the beginning because it played on the fact that I'd never heard him sing before. At first, it opens and he's only mouthing while many different members of the band sing. Then he started dancing! My God, he was wonderful! He had some Michael Jacksonesque moonwalking type steps. He was so great! I've never been a big fan of Astaire but I'd say Cagney was better than him.
The story was kind of eh but the dance scenes were so fun and they made me laugh. That leading lady though- she looked mean most of the time even when she was smiling!
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 04-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
<STRONG>I watched Something to Sing About last night. My first James Cagney musical. I was in awe of him; I've only seen him in gangster films before so </STRONG>
You gotta see Footlight Parade! He and Ruby Keeler tap dancing on a counter [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] the film.

OK I've like vaguely heard of Roswell but I don't think it's actually on here.

Saw On The Beach yesterday, it was a bit meh but it was exciting to see MY town of Melbourne in the 50s, looking very much the same as it does now [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Passionate Fan

I watched Ninotchka and I have finally found the appealing Garbo! It was like she was actually acting a role from the first scene through the ending. And her character developed through it. She was likable! I cannot believe I never knew Garbo was this good. I need this movie. I kept rewatching the part where she laughs; she's so beautiful. It kind of retracts from it since the laughter was dubbed, but the facial expressions and how her character changed was all her. I wish she was this good in every movie. Now I can understand her appeal.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to go ahead and close this one post early, so feel free to start the new thread. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My LJ for Movies
Closed Thread   Post New Thread