Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2003, 04:41 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angeli_Dean:
<STRONG>The Wizard Of Oz wouldn't be the same if it didn't have that amazing scene of Dorothy opening the door and all of sudden she steps into color!
</STRONG>

Ooh yes! Do you remember, when you were little and the first time you saw it...in sepia and then suddenly an explosion of technicolour!!! Had me spellbound [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] They did the same thing with The Secret Garden (with Margaret O'Brien who has a very healthy set of lungs [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) - the garden scenes were in colour, the rest in b&w.

Quote:
I also realized how gorgeous Robert Taylor is. I had no idea!
Ahh, Star, where are you when we need you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I've seen I think 6 of the Fred & Ginger films. They played all but two on TV here, and two of those I still haven't seen yet. But I will soon! I really likedFlying Down To Rio but couldn't pick a favourite. Seeing them all in such a short space of time, they do tend to merge together in my mind [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Re: colourised movies - I don't mind it, because it's interesting to see, and if it's terrible, I can just turn the colour off on my TV. I have IAWL in colour, and have seen Topper, Miracle On 34th Street and Annie Oakley...probably more I can't think of. Miracle was done perfectly though, I had no idea it was really a b&w film! [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] But the other two...well they had their moments [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Speaking of turning the colour down, I find some of those 50s British technicolour 'outdoors' films are a bit garish, so I watch them in b&w [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Passionate Fan

Oh, Jean Harlow! She is so much fun to watch! I've seen her in Red Dust and Platinum Blonde. Although the movies weren't my favorite, she is quite pretty and gets to say some pretty fun things. Oh, and I'm jealous of her wardrobe!

I watched three movies I hadn't seen yesterday.
The first was Posessed with Joan Crawford. The movie reminded me a lot of Mildred Pierce as far as showing off her acting ability and since both had a daughter who dates an older man. I didn't really like the movie as a whole, but it just amazed me how wonderful an actress Joan was. I heard she was a real b*tch in real life, but as an actress, she was top.
Before dinner, I finally watched Modern Times. Charlie was a riot. My sister was making fun of me for going into histerics over a silent movie, but I honestly think Charlie was funnier without sound. Oh, he's a joy to watch.
Last night I watched The Wind for the first time. It stars Lillian Gish and I thought it was cool because at the beginning it had her as an old lady explaining why she did the movie and where and such. It was a pretty good movie, I guess. It wasn't my favorite, and it suprised me because it seemed pretty short for a silent movie. After a while, you sort of really get into the characters, and suddenly the movie ends. So I'm still not sure if I liked it or not.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 07-26-2003, 09:12 AM
Obsessed Fan

I dunno but I've always had a soft spot for Streetcar. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 07-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Loyal Fan

The b&w that I can watch over and over (and I have [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) is Jane Eyre I know it doesn't follow the book all that well but Orson makes a perfect Rochester [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] and Joan is fantastic as Jane!!!

[ 07-26-2003: Message edited EarlGrayHot ]
Old 07-27-2003, 02:14 AM
Addicted Fan

Ooh, you saw The Wind - that's one of my favourite films. You know the parts where the wind became the ghostly horse, it was so strong? That scared me so much! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Jean Harlow in Wife vs. Secretary. I've not seen her in much yet but she's so endearing as a regular kind of gal as opposed to a brassy seductress.

This is one of my fave quotes, from Dinner At Eight:

Jean Harlow: Y'know, I was reading a book the other day -
Marie Dressler: *aghast* a book??
Harlow: Yeah. It's all about civilization or something. A nutty kinda book. You know, the guy says that machinery is one day gonna take the place of every profession?
Dressler: Oh my dear, that's something you need never worry about!

[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Passionate Fan

I finally saw Casablanca last night. I was sort of distracted while watching it so I'm going to watch it again, but I liked it. I didn't realize how much of that is used in other movies and such. I constantly see that "kiss me as if it were the last time" on previews before movies start and just glimpses of the way they shot Ingrid's parts... how the light was used. UGh, but I wanted to hit Humphrey Bogart everytime he said, "Here's looking at you kid." The first time, it was okay but after that, I got so mad. I don't like him much.

Sadly, I was on vacation last week so I didn't get to see any new old movies. I did watch snippits that I could sneak in during commercials from movies that I don't know what they were on TCM. I also caught an SNL where Dana Carvey inpersonated James Stewart. He's so great at that. I also watched some old tv... I Love Lucy, The Munsters, Leave it to Beaver, and I Dream of Jeannie.

Okay, I also went to Hollywood video because they had a sale and they had lots of old movies. Sadly, they were overpriced, even used and on sale, but I saw Dinner at Eight there so now I am reserving it. I didn't know Lionel Barrymore was in that movie. I love him in Grand Hotel.
Ooh, I did get a Chaplin docummentary there for $2 called The Great Director and I got the 1932 Dracula at Walmart for $3. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
And I got a book about collecting old movie memorabilia for $1 and the Lillian Gish: Her Legend, Her Life hardback for only $7. I was so happy.

I talk too much. [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 08-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

hello

oh you watched I love lucy? that's my favorite show ever. I really like Casablanca. But I like Bogie too so that helps. have you ever seen him with his wife Lauren Bacall? they were so great together!

I love what TCM is doing right now. Every day is dedicated to a star and they have all their movies from one person each day. Today is Joan Crawford day and tomorrow is Fred Astaire day, which I will definetly be watching [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Also on turnerclassicmovies.com they have a quiz to see which movie character would be your dream match. I got Paul Newman's character, Luke from Cool Hand Luke [img]smilies/drool.gif[/img] and I took it again and got William Holdens character in Picnic. Two bad boys that really look good without a shirt [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img] Audrey [img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2003, 02:33 PM
Obsessed Fan

one of my favorite films of all time is from 1958..and it's in black and white....it's called 'touch of evil'...and it's directed by orson welles.....

synopsis....
"Charlton Heston plays a narcotics investigator who clashes with a local corrupt police chief (Orson Welles) over a murder case in a seedy Mexican border town.

There is much to recommend Orson Welles' classic: a fine cast, great score, and stylish cinematography - the opening crane shot has often been called the "greatest single shot" to be put onto film. The memorable Henry Mancini rock score is crisper then ever in this fortieth anniversary re-edit, which was supervised by Oscar-winning sound mixer Walter Murch. Look out too for Marlene Dietrich and Zsa Zsa Gabor who plays the owner of a strip joint, among a collection of unexpected cameos."

one of the reason i like this film so much is because a city that's near dear to my heart fills in for this mexican border town...that city is venice, california....and many of the building featured in this film still exist to this day... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-05-2003, 08:40 AM
Passionate Fan

I took the quiz and got Jerry Mulligan and I have no idea who that is! haha
Old 08-05-2003, 11:09 AM
Absolute Fan

[img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Jerry Mulligan is Gene Kelly's character in An American in Paris.
Love Psych and fanfic? Check out Psychfic. It has the best fan fiction I have ever read.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Addicted Fan

I'm such a dag. I still haven't gotten around to seeing Casablanca [img]smilies/nono.gif[/img]

I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] I Love Lucy as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] It's not on here at the moment though [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Quote:
one of my favorite films of all time is from 1958..and it's in black and white....it's called 'touch of evil'...and it's directed by orson welles.....
I generally wouldn't touch an Orson Welles film with a ten foot pole, but that saying, I do rather want to see Touch Of Evil. I remember reading a ton about it in class last semester and it sounded really good. Plus I do quite like Janet Leigh. I always have to be pushed into watching her movies but the minute I see them I like them [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 09:57 AM
Passionate Fan

My favourite B/W movie (wait it could be in colour).. heck it's old anyway circa 1949. It's Little Women. I also love the 1994 version too.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 08-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Passionate Fan

I finally finished A Philidelphia Story and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. I liked the first but not the second. I am not a big fan of politics. Anyhow, I adore the scenes between Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart in the first movie. Their drunken scenes are hilarious. I really liked the kiss parts too. The whole movie I kept thinking, 'No, he doesn't have a thing for her. They're not flirting. But yet...' and then when that happened! I was like, 'Geez, these people are good actors. Their subtlety is brilliant!' Although no matter how young she is, I always think Katherine looks very old. Luckily, for most of this movie, her hair was down, but when she put it up for the pool, I kept picturing her from either African Queen or in anything I had seen about her recently on the news. I don't like her much but I do like the movie.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>My favourite B/W movie (wait it could be in colour).. heck it's old anyway circa 1949. It's Little Women. </STRONG>
I think it was in colour [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] but it's been an awfully long time since I saw it! It's my favourite version as well, I just adore June Allyson as Jo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I also liked the Katharine Hepburn movie and have seen the more recent one, which was ok, but a very distant third I'd say [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
I adore the scenes between Katherine Hepburn and James Stewart in the first movie. Their drunken scenes are hilarious.
Hey I just saw TPS again this weekend [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"When she hit the water, the wine hit her!" [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

It's definitely one of the greatest films ever, perfect performances all around [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Don't you just love when Tracy first tempts Uncle Willie with that perfume, he's all 'mmmm' and in rapture, then he sees who it is and just grunts [img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2003, 06:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I admit I have a excessive infatuation with Cary Grant. I think he's so handsome. I just finished watching Notorious, which also happens to have my favorite actress, Ingrid Bergman.

Anyone else a Cary Grant fan?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread