Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Elite Fan

je: yeah! if i remember right, even Isy cried din bec of the film

oh, haven't seen the Memoirs trailer yet, thanks!

av
Old 09-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Master Fan

I don't know how many of you watch AZN television (formerly the International Channel, here in the US), but they did a whole profile on Kamikaze Girls and the move to take manga-like characters to the film world.

Looks totally cool to me.

My LJ for Movies
Old 09-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

i wish Kamikaze girls would be shown in a nearer cinema. the gas prices are killing my pockets!!!

mukooh - thanks for the 3 -iron dvd!!! are you looking for something in particular? maybe i have a copy of it or sth.

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 09-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
mukooh - thanks for the 3 -iron dvd!!!
your welcome....hope it worked ok for you...???....i'd forgotten how good it was until i gave it another viewing............

the only thing to look forward to, in the near future, that relates to this thread....as far as i can tell.........is this....i posted this information to the horror thread a couple of days ago....

the east is red....(with blood that is)............from lgf......'three extremes'.......mpaa rating: r (for strong disturbing violent content, some involving abortion and torture, and for sexuality and language)....release date october 28th....(limited).......

Divided into three separate stories.... a retired actress longing to retain her beauty seeks the rejuvenating effects of a doctor's "special" dumplings, only to discover they contain one horrifying ingredient... A film director is abducted by a vengeful stranger and forced to make an impossible choice that will change his life forever... A beautiful female novelist, still guilt-ridden over the childhood death of her twin sister, receives a mysterious invitation to meet at the site of her sister's demise... Exploring the outer limits of the macabre, Lions' Gate Films' "Three...Extremes" is a bracing triptych of horror stories uniting three of East Asia's most compelling directors – Japanese cult figure Takashi Miike, Hong Kong's Fruit Chan, and Korea's award-winning Park Chan-Wook. Using distinctive cinematic styles that span dream-like minimalism, savage comedy and baroque horror, these cutting-edge directors penetrate the dark heart of desire, examining the ghastly urges that transform ordinary people into monsters. Stylish, twisted and laced with haunting imagery, "Three...Extremes" breaks the bounds of genre cinema, confirming the visionary talent of three master directors.

if your not familiar with the twisted work of takashi miike......now's your chance.....

french trailer here......

Old 09-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh - i haven't watched it yet. but i tried it on so i can label it and not get the dvds mixed up.

i've wanted to get Thee Extremes but i only see the vcd ones....and i wasnt sure if it was that good.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Master Fan

3-iron!! yikes!! me wants that!!
Old 09-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Master Fan

I put 3-Iron at the top of my NetFlix queue, along with Two Sisters (but then, since I watch so many Asian films they frequently come up in my recommendations, and they've been trying to push Two Sisters on me for a while).

So - DO any of you watch AZN Television (formerly The International Channel)? Because they have this new feature (with an incredibly stupid name) called, "Popcorn Zen," in which they profile all-Asian short films. Since they're pan-Asian they can be from anywhere, and there's just a huge variety of films. The host's this young guy who's okay, and the films are fascinating - it's generally on around 8pm weeknights, Pacific time. Check it out.

My LJ for Movies
Old 09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Fan

shrrshrr - we're switching from Charter to Directv and i don't know if we'll have International Channel, but i do hope so. thats where i used to see all the asian music videos way back!

to know
me is to love me.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

found this on the nuart web site...

'seijû gakuen' (aka school of the holy beast - 1974 - japan)
Friday, October 7 at Midnight at the Nuart Theatre!
New 35mm Print!

A comely young woman (Yumi Takigawa) joins the Sacred Heart Convent to investigate the death of her mother there years earlier and falls into an unholy crucible of lesbian sex and ruthless punishment. The wild zooms and intense colors of this deliriously beautiful feature call to mind the '70s Italian horror of Dario Argento, while flagellating, topless nuns pay over-the-top, demented homage to the Marquis de Sade. A truly outrageous exercise in blasphemy and nunsploitation, directed and co-written by Norifumi Suzuki.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

whoops!!!.......
Old 10-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
shrrshrr - we're switching from Charter to Directv and i don't know if we'll have International Channel, but i do hope so. thats where i used to see all the asian music videos way back!
Yeah, they still have the Asian music programs. I enjoy them - but I really like the Asian shorts. Way cool.

mukooh - what did you do, double post? Hee! So cute.

My LJ for Movies
Old 10-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Part-Time Fan

I'm not Asian but I did watch a movie a few weeks ago on TV.. it was Chinese. The whole plot was basically about this girl who's boyfriend broke up with her & sold a vintage record she had given to him. She tries to get it back but a rude radio DJ buys it and refuses to give it back to her. So basically it's a love-hate relationship kind of movie, it was cute.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Fan

marshmello - i think this is what you saw...

And i Hate you so

the only recent movies i've seen are 2 korean ones:

i liked She's on Duty better although i found it to be predictable and long.

with Daddy Long Legs i got confused with how they wanted to present the movie. the saving factor for me was Hyun Bin's cameo. maybe i should rewatch it.... i dunno..

and to keep up with the upcoming Halloween holidays.... other than 3- extremes .... i'd like to be able to see Shutter , a thai movie that they say is really good.

from yesasia.com:

Asian horror finds some talent to watch in Banjong Pisonthanakun and Parkpoom Wongpoom, directors of the horror-thriller Shutter! Tun (Ananda Everingham) and Jane (Natthaveeranuch Thongmee) unwittingly unleash a chilling mystery when they hit a girl with their car one evening. The rattled couple leave her for dead, but her presence extends beyond their one-night encounter. Soon, ghostly shadows begin appearing on the negatives and prints of professional photographer Tun, and even their friends are starting to feel a ghostly presence! Tun doesn't believe in the supernatural, but Jane does, and her belief in the otherworldly shows this young couple that you cannot escape nor hide from your past. Shutter is a tense and haunting thriller that preys on our paranoid imagination and lingering fear, and further promotes Thailand as a region to watch in Asian Cinema.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 10-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Fan

hey i found this while browsing for the times for A history of violence

New Beverly Cinema at Beverly Blvd, LA will be showing (start dates):

2046 on Oct 12

Chungking Express on OCt 14

Oldboy and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance on Oct 16

to know
me is to love me.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Master Fan

mukooh - is that a remake of the US film, Daddy Long Legs (a movie I despised by the way - the Fred Astaire/what's-her-name-French-girl-I-can't-recall-but-has-a-"C"-chick version).

My LJ for Movies
Closed Thread   Post New Thread