Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2005, 07:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

news from the oc....

wow......an old film finally makes it's appearance here in the united states.....and at one of my favorite movie theaters......i think the popularity of 'oldboy' being shown there is one of the reasons that this is happening...

Edwards University Town Center 6
4245 Campus Drive, Irvine, CA 92612

Asylum (R) 2:25 I 5:00 I 7:50 I 10:20
Grizzly Man 2:10 I 4:40 I 7:40 I 9:50
2046 (R) 1:55 I 4:45 I 7:30 I 10:00
Broken Flowers (R) 2:00 I 4:35 I 7:20 I 10:05
The Aristocrats (NR) 2:15 I 5:05 I 8:00 I 10:10
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (NR) 2:05 I 4:40 I 7:15 I 9:55

Old 08-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh - dang, i'd drive to irvine if i can but this weekend is already loaded. and raissa might give me a copy of this,,so...

to know
me is to love me.

icon credit - mahiwaga at LJ
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Obsessed Fan

hey.....quick post....today i'll be seeing '2046' in a theater...tomorrow..... 'sympathy for mr. vengeance'.......

snyopsis for....'sympathy....'....

Ryu (Shin Ha-kyun), a young deaf mute, is unable to donate a kidney to his dying sister due to incompatible blood types. On top of this, he is fired for missing work to care for her. Succumbing to the underground organ market, he agrees to sell one of his own kidneys in exchange for cash, but when he wakes up with both his kidney and cash gone, Ryu and his terrorist girlfriend kidnap the daughter of a wealthy businessman to raise ransom money. The first film in director Park Chanwook's "revenge" trilogy (Oldboy, the upcoming Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) is a disquieting and brutal tale of love and loss.

***isy***.....'sympathy......' is also playing at the nuart....if that's closer for you....if and when you obtain a copy of 'sympathy....' would you make me a copy......???.....or if i find it first i'll send you one....if you interested in any of the films that i've acquired and mentioned in this thread...let me know and i'll get them to you....
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh - i'll let you know if i get a good copy, and of course, i'll give u one.

Nuart is still far, its in west LA. i'd like to watch it only if i didnt have too much going on this weekend.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
April Snow poster....

The passionate poster was made public for the 'Oe Chool(April Snow)'(Directed by Hur Jinho, Produced by Bluestorm), containing sad love of two main characters who came to realize that their respective spouses were in adulterous relationship from a traffic accident in the film.

The poster made public in this time expresses well sad love of two main characters in the film by main copy of 'Are we love' along with subheading of 'adulterous love'.

In particular, from the appearance of two main actors who are tightly holding each other's hands with sorrowful expressions, it makes people feel love for each other, confusion, and ardent passion.

Among 2 kind of versions, the first poster passionately depicted BYJ & SYJ who are embracing in sad expression, and second poster emphasized the anxiety of two people's love as they lay in a bed side by side and BYJ takes pose of embracing SYJ from behind & comforting her.

These regular posters made public in this time has review that it further increases the curiosity about film as it emphasize the emotion of two main characters compared to the teaser poster in the end of the last month, which emphasized longing.

The 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' getting much interest from our country and Japan, etc. crank in the past February and finished shooting in the last month in topic of talks including transformation of major shooting site, Samcheok in Kangwon Province into a famous tourist spot.

It plans to open simultaneously in Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, etc. on coming September 9, and 20,000 fans in China, where the release has not be definitely decided, made a large scale signature drive, saying "We want simultaneous opening with Korea, Japan, etc."

[Poster of 'Oe Chool(April Snow)' expressing passionate love of two man & woman main characters, BYJ & SYJ, Photo source=Bluestorm]

Reported by Lee Kyeongho,rush@mydaily.co.kr, My Daily, www.mydaily.co.kr,
Copyright ⓒ My Daily

*DROOL* omg, i have been so out of touch with my korean movies. *siiigh* this looks nice!

just wondering people: where do you get your info, news, reviews, pics for asian movies? since i focus primarily on korean movies, i visit the following:

1. koreanfilm.org
2. www.lomte.com
3. asian cinema drifter
4. cityonfire
5. soompi.com

it's been a while so i don't remember the other sites i visit, but will probably update when i get to remember them again.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

hi everybody.......i saw '2046' yesterday.....there's nothing quite like seeing a film on the big screen of a theater.....two of the things i noticed more by seeing it in a theater....was the music that accompanied the movie....and the cinematograpy....while i prefered 'itmfl' to '2046'..........it's not often that a wong kar wai film comes to a theater near me, this is only his third film i've been able to enjoy that way....(the other 2 were 'itmfl' and 'fallen angels').......

today i saw 'sympathy for mr. vengeance'...will be back later to let everyone know what i thought...going out to dinner now.......
Old 08-20-2005, 02:24 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***isy***
mukooh - dang, i'd drive to irvine if i can but this weekend is already loaded. and raissa might give me a copy of this,,so...
my cousin forgot to bring it... too excited to come tro Cali. But he promised to send it to me when he goes back.

Jam include me in that list that is anticipating the release of "April Snow" I usually just go to soompi.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

back in a bit.....

in the meantime...

i keep on seeing a poster for this film...'balzac and the little chinese seamstress' at the university "art house" theater...i asked my friend that manages the theater if it was coming soon...and she indicated it was....

plot..
In 1971 China, in the lingering grip of the cultural revolution, two university students, Luo and Ma, are sent to a mountain mining village as part of their reeducation duty to purge them of their classical western oriented education. Amid the backbreaking work and stifling ignorance of the community, the two boys find that music, and the presence of the beautiful local young women are the only pleasant things in their miserable life. However, none compare to the young seamstress granddaughter of the local tailor. Stealing a departing student's secret cache of forbidden books of classic western literature such as the works of Honore de Balzac, they set about to woo her and teach her things she had never imagined. In doing so, they start a journey that would profoundly change her perspective on her world and teach the boys about the power of literature and their own ability to change their world in truly revolutionary ways.

also it looks like 'clean' will be arriving soon as well........

snyopsis....

Emily Wang (Maggie Cheung) is a woman who wrestles with her dream of becoming a singer, her fitness as a mother, and daily life without her partner Lee (James Johnston). Her past is riddled with drugs and regrets, the result of which left Lee dead in a desolate motel room in Hamilton, Ontario, and landed Emily with a six-month jail sentence. The only thing that she desires for the future is a loving relationship with her son Jay, who is being cared for by Lee's parents, Albrecht (Nick Nolte) and Rosemary (Martha Henry). While Rosemary blames Emily for the death of Lee, Albrecht recognizes the importance of the bond between a mother and her son, and his faith sets the standard for the faith Emily must find in herself. Clean follows Emily to Hamilton, Paris, London and San Francisco and in three languages (English, French and Cantonese), as she battles for a place in a world reluctant to forget the woman she has been and unwilling to accept her as the woman she longs to be.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

jam - i also check out lovehkfilm.org, hancinema.net,asianfilm.org, mandiapple.com (snowblood apple) .

mukooh - i want to see Clean, i like maggie cheung.

and for those in the long beach area:Pacific Media Expo

the expo (sept 3 to 5) will have screenings on asian films.

and on Sept 10 at USC :

Leslie Cheung Tribute

i haven't seen a lot of Leslie's work, and it such a shame he took his own life. but i loved him in days of being wild .

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

thanks ***isy*** for the above information...

i saw 'boksuneun naui geot' (sympathy for mr. vengeance) last week.......

brief snyopsis....
Ryu, a young deaf mute, is unable to donate a kidney to his dying sister due to incompatible blood types. On top of this, he is fired for missing work to care for her. Succumbing to the underground organ market, he agrees to sell one of his own kidneys in exchange for cash, but when he wakes up with both his kidney and cash gone, Ryu and his terrorist girlfriend kidnap the daughter of a wealthy businessman to raise ransom money. The first film in director Park Chanwook's "revenge" trilogy (Oldboy, the upcoming Sympathy for Lady Vengeance) is a disquieting and brutal tale of love and loss.

it has an extremely violent third act........it's funny i saw the second film.....'oldboy' a couple of months ago....and now i'm seeing the first film in the trilogy......i enjoyed this film but i liked 'oldboy' more....hopefully i won't have to wait very long to see 'sympathy for lady vengeance'.........

Old 08-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

starting friday.....8-26-05...

Edwards University Town Center 6
4245 Campus Drive, Irvine, CA 92612

Asylum (R) 2:25 I 5:00 I 7:50 I 10:20
Grizzly Man 2:10 I 4:40 I 7:40 I 9:50
2046 (R) 1:55 I 4:45 I 7:30 I 10:00
Broken Flowers (R) 2:00 I 4:35 I 7:20 I 10:05
The Aristocrats (NR) 2:15 I 5:05 I 8:00 I 10:10
'Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress' 2:05 I 4:40 I 7:15 I 9:55
Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Elite Fan

av
Old 08-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

From The Electric New Paper website:

HK movies weave a new spell
By Ho Lian-yi
August 24, 2005

ITS star faded as 1997 approached, when its film industry began churning out sloppily-made films for a quick buck.

Its biggest names, like Chow Yun Fatt and John Woo, fled West to bask in the Hollywood sun.

In the interim, Japan, Korea and, more recently, Thailand, moved in with hits of their own to satisfy an audience sated with derivative Hollywood fare.

But Hong Kong is back.

And it seems to have found a formula that may spell a second wave for a once burgeoning industry that was touted as Asia's answer to Hollywood.

The formula that holds that promise? Go pan-Asian.

Lined up from now till the end of the year are a slew of blockbusters. And do not be surprised if you see Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese and even Indian names in the credits.

COSMOPOLITAN

Hong Kong's new game plan is a cosmopolitan one: To adopt talent from all over the region to give its films a much-needed dose of freshness, and open up new markets.

'They are no longer limiting themselves to who in Hong Kong is suitable for roles. They are looking at the whole of Asia,' said Mr Lim Teck, manager of Shaw's Chinese film department.

For example, Initial D, which is Hong Kong's top-grossing film so far this year with about HK$134 million ($28 million) in box-office receipts across Asia, is based on a Japanese anime.

But more amazingly, it has a Taiwanese singer, Jay Chou, as its lead - something unheard of in the past.

Another movie that is an almost perfect example of the new trend is Perhaps Love, which is due to be released on 8 Dec.

'In a movie like Perhaps Love, you have Takeshi Kaneshiro, who can open the Taiwanese and Japanese markets; Zhou Xun, for the Chinese market; Jacky Cheung, for the Hong Kong market; and Ji Jin Hee, for the Korean market... all very good actors, and a very big market,' said Mr Lim.

Even the sub-continent has not been overlooked. Jacky Chan - who is no stranger to working with foreign talent - acted alongside Bollywood beauty Mallika Sherawat and Korean actress Kim Hee Seon in Stanley Tong's US$20 million ($33 million) flick, The Myth.

But, ultimately, it all boils down to quality.

Hong Kong, which was famous for its rapid-fire attitude towards filmmaking, can no longer afford to do that.

A Chinese Tall Story, a remake on the popular Chinese story Journey To The West, reflects this change in philosophy.

The movie, which stars Hong Kong star Nicholas Tse alongside Taiwanese actor Wilson Chen, will only be released on 22 Dec this year, though it finished filming in December last year.

Instead, its makers spent a year on post-production and marketing campaigns, when once it would have been shoved out of the door the moment the camera stopped recording.

And higher-quality films mean more revenues for distributors here.

The first six months saw local cinemas earn $12 million at the box office for Asian movies. But with the upcoming barrage of high-quality Asian movies, distributors here are confident they can hit $30 million by the end of the year, which is about 30 per cent of the entire Singapore box office market, according Mr Lim.

IMPROVEMENT

It would be an improvement on last year's $26 million.

But if there is one film that threatens to obliterate the idea of a Hong Kong, Korean or Japanese film and creates a synthesis that is something uniquely Asian, it is Chen Kaige's The Promise.

The China-South Korean joint production has a Chinese director, a Hong Kong cinematographer (Peter Pau) and a Japanese costume designer (manga artist Masago Kimiya). It stars Japan's Hiroyuki Sanada, Korea's Jang Dong Gun, China's Liu Ye, Nicholas Tse and Cecilia Cheung.

Singapore's fledgling film industry, in order to cultivate a universal appeal, has not been shy in borrowing talent from around Asia too.

The Maid, for example, stars Filpino Alessandra De Rossi.

The Singaporean movie One Last Dance, slated for release in 2006, is hardly recognisable as one. For one, the leading actor and actress, Francis Ng and Vivian Hsu, are from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. The director, Max Makowski, is Brazilian. And the movie even features Hollywood actor Harvey Keitel.

Another Singaporean film, February 29, also due for 2006, has Li Lin starring opposite Thai hunk Ananda Everingham.

Products of globalisation? Surely.

Asian film fest

OTHER Asian movies to look out for in the coming year:

# Wait Till You Are Older (29 Sep)

Andy Lau plays a 12-year-old who turns into a 20-year-old young man overnight. He plans to take revenge on his father (Felix Wong) and stepmother (Karen Mok), whom he blames for his mother's suicide.

Worth watching if only to see the 43-year-old Andy pretend to be half his age with the mind of an adolescent.

# All About Love (20 Oct)

It's been a while since Hong Kong gave us a good old weepy romance story. Here, Andy Lau plays a paramedic, while Charlie Yeung is a woman who has a terminal illness.

Her dying wish is to spend some happy times with her missing husband, whom Andy discovers looks very much like himself.

# A Bittersweet Life (8 Sep)

Lee Byung Hun is Sun Woo, a mobster who lets his boss' young lover Hee Soo go instead of killing her, as ordered. Because of this, he is forced to fight his own gang, who, until then, were like his own brothers.

# Sympathy For Lady Vengeance (October)

The final chapter of Chan Woon Park's vengeance trilogy, which began with Sympathy For Mr Vengeance (2002) and Old Boy (2004).

Lee Young Ae plays a woman in her mid-30s who is betrayed and framed. After losing her daughter and spending 13 years in pris[on, her only goal now is revenge.

omg, this is very promising for the asian film industry!

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

hello.....hope everyone else has to seen a recent asian flick, mine are:

Initial D

pic credits to lovehkfilm.com

from yesasia.com:

First created by Shigeno Shuichi in comic form in 1996, and then adapted into a smash hit anime, Initial D has finally been adapted into a live-action motion picture - and it's now available on DVD! Directed by Andrew Lau and Alan Mak (the Infernal Affairs trilogy), the film stars Jay Chou as an 18-year old boy who awakens to the thrill of illegal street racing. Popular Hong Kong actors Edison Chen, Shawn Yue, and Jordan Chan co-star as fellow street racers, and multiple Best Actor award winner Anthony Wong and singer Kenny Bee shore up the cast. Initial D opened in June in Hong Kong to instant blockbuster status, grossing over HK$37 million in just 4 weeks time to become the 2005's top-grossing movie thus far.

Taiwanese pop icon Jay Chou makes his acting debut as Takumi Fuijiwara, a high-school kid who delivers tofu every morning for his father Bunta (Anthony Wong). During his daily delivery, Takumi unknowingly sharpens up his racing skills by speeding through notorious racing spot Mt. Akina, where some of Japan's greatest street racers venture for glory. After Takumi accidentally bests Night Kids leader Takeshi Nakazato (Shawn Yue) on Akina's downhill, he begins to attract the attention of other street racers. But Takumi is more than just another wannabe racer. Years of delivering tofu in his father's Toyota AE86 Trueno have made him an incredibly skilled driver, and not even Takumi really knows just how good he is! With breathtaking car-racing scenes, a hip soundtrack, and an all-star cast, Initial D is the Hong Kong Cinema blockbuster fans have been waiting for!

and

Memories of Murder

from yesasia.com:

Winning nine Korean film awards awards including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor for Song Kang Ho, Memories Of Murder is the latest thriller Bong Joon Ho, the director of Barking Dogs Never Bite.

Adapted from a true story and staged as Come And See Me in 1996, this movie tells a story about a series of appalling rape/murders investigated by two cops, played by Song Kang Ho and Kim Sang Kyung. The process of investigation acts like a mirror, revealing the wicked minds of the two men.

The movie received rave reviews and topped the box office in Korea. Put simply, the movie is unmissable. This DVD includes Englsh and Japanese subtitles.

with Initial D , i thought it was done really well, given it is a HK production of a popular manga. some parts of the manga was changed a bit, but it still relies well on the manga story. i guess they had to edit it since this manga has more than 25 volumes out, and that would be too much for a 2 hr movie. i thought jay chou, who is a singer, did well for his first feature debut. i wouldn't be surprised for a sequel, and if you're a drifting fan, the effects are pretty cool.

Memories of Murder is a great film! it sort of catches you off guard with the way it is done, but more so reflects on how difficult it was to catch a serial killer in 1986, without the technologies we have today. the ending kind of reminds me of the murders committed in my own country (philippines), which i wouldn't want to spoil you guys. its a suspense movie, but it also has comic effects on it, and has me convinced that Song Kang Ho (who is also in Sympathy with Mr Vengeance) is a really good actor, as i've seen him in JSA w/ Lee Byung Hun.

those are my 2 cents for the movies.

to know
me is to love me.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Addicted Fan

I read this from Yahoo Entertainment. for Asian Films

Asian films dominate Venice Film Festival
Closed Thread   Post New Thread