Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Do you or are you just being polite? I'm aware my message is fairly extreme here.

The DCEU movies used to have some style at least, so they were unpopular and now we get Aquaman, dumb as hell. The Netflix MCU shows had intelligence, so they go away and Avengers: Endgame succeeds massively. It just seems the dumber stuff succeeds all the time. The DCEU films were trying something much more interesting than the MCU, so the public rejected them. It reminds me of how Dredd failed at the box office in 2012. It was a smart, stylish, intelligently minimalist action movie with excellent character portrayal (particularly Judge Anderson and Ma Ma), so it failed massively at the box office and you get people complaining that it should have a "Big Boss Battle" at the end, which it certainly didn't need. It dared to be different, so it flopped. So often if something tries to be different or more intelligent it flops and if something is a dumbed-down rollercoaster it wins. Avatar, anybody? Stupidity wins. And now it wins at the ballot box as well as the box office. And just as the MCU's plastic universe is winning at top strength, the mad rightwingers are gaining increased power in the European Parliament. It's all very depressing.

And I hate for people to think the MCU is what Marvel comics are. The Marvel comics I read back in the 20th century had more real feeling, more emotional depth, more heart. If Fox can manage some decent Marvel films (X-Men:First Class, Logan, Daredevil) then why is Disney so attached to making dumbed down amusement park ride-style films? And why is that so successful?

I'm not saying a person has to be stupid to like the MCU, but I don't think its massive inexplicable popularity says much for the intelligence of the human race at present. Just like all the politics. People voting for Nigel Farage's bloody Brexit party. I really dread the next UK PM.

Last edited by sum1; 05-27-2019 at 09:25 AM
Old 05-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'm aware that

https://wentworthreport.com/2018/06/...s-intelligent/

Perhaps it's the side effect of that

Author of ISBN
Old 05-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

If that's true, dragonfire, then I have to be the one to ask, "what the hell is Kevin Feige doing?" Seriously, Steve and Sharon are the canonical couple in the comics, and no one was clamoring for Steve to get with a character who has been dead for years until that first Captain America movie came out. Feige can't talk about "respecting the source material" and then turn around and do the opposite. I get that he has some weird -on for Steve and Peggy, and since he took full control of Marvel Studios he's basically made Steve his main character and made Tony Stark a total moron. But it seems like Feige is now just acting like a geek who wants to remake Marvel in his own image rather than honor and respect the legacy of Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, and all those who followed them in Marvel for 40 years.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
If that's true, dragonfire, then I have to be the one to ask, "what the hell is Kevin Feige doing?" Seriously, Steve and Sharon are the canonical couple in the comics, and no one was clamoring for Steve to get with a character who has been dead for years until that first Captain America movie came out. Feige can't talk about "respecting the source material" and then turn around and do the opposite. I get that he has some weird -on for Steve and Peggy, and since he took full control of Marvel Studios he's basically made Steve his main character and made Tony Stark a total moron. But it seems like Feige is now just acting like a geek who wants to remake Marvel in his own image rather than honor and respect the legacy of Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, and all those who followed them in Marvel for 40 years.
Well, if he does favor Steggy then he ain't the only one that favors it. Arguably Evans&Atwell are like the Steggy Captains and seems they don't like Staron. Example in an interview Evans kept calling Staron icky. Made Tony a total moron?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire (View Post)
Well, if he does favor Steggy then he ain't the only one that favors it. Arguably Evans&Atwell are like the Steggy Captains and seems they don't like Staron. Example in an interview Evans kept calling Staron icky. Made Tony a total moron?
Who cares, dragonfire? Evans and Atwell are Hollywood actors who don't know anything about comic books. They don't know anything about Steve and Sharon. I don't give a what they think. They work in an industry where actors and directors are dating or married to women young enough to be their daughters and granddaughters, so they're not ones to talk about what's "icky." It's an insult to comic book fans to say that about Steve and Sharon.

And yeah, Tony Stark as played by Robert Downey Jr. was at first a bit of inspired casting, as it gave Tony a quirky sense of humor he never had before, but over time Tony in the MCU became a joke, whether by making him Ultron's creator and doing something totally stupid, or the Civil War storyline, or that crappy Iron Man 3, etc. They have Tony making mistakes and bad decisions that he wouldn't make in the comics.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 05-28-2019 at 02:19 PM
Old 05-28-2019, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Who cares, dragonfire? Evans and Atwell are Hollywood actors who don't know anything about comic books. They don't know anything about Steve and Sharon. I don't give a what they think. They work in an industry where actors and directors are dating or married to women young enough to be their daughters and granddaughters, so they're not ones to talk about what's "icky." It's an insult to comic book fans to say that about Steve and Sharon.
Ok. Oh, here's some news about Thor.
Spoiler:
Old 05-28-2019, 03:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the Thor info, dragonfire.
Quote:
They work in an industry where actors and directors are dating or married to women young enough to be their daughters and granddaughters, so they're not ones to talk about what's "icky."
You shouldn't be judgemental about unconventional relationships. Society has to learn tolerance for relationships that don't fit the one favoured mold. As long as they're both consenting adults it should be ok. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, an actor born in 1990, is married to the director Sam Taylor-Johnson and she was born in 1967. Is that relationship icky to you? Because if it is you need to open your mind.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
You shouldn't be judgemental about unconventional relationships. Society has to learn tolerance for relationships that don't fit the one favoured mold. As long as they're both consenting adults it should be ok. Aaron Taylor-Johnson, an actor born in 1990, is married to the director Sam Taylor-Johnson and she was born in 1967. Is that relationship icky to you? Because if it is you need to open your mind.
I think you misunderstood me, sum1. What you're saying now is exactly what I'm saying about Evans and Atwell's attitude towards Steve/Sharon. They really shouldn't be calling them "icky" at all. Do you think that Steve/Sharon are in any way inappropriate? Because it seems to me that Evans and Atwell are the ones who need to open their minds.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Elite Fan

Seems they
Spoiler:
Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Infinity Wank
Old 05-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

that's a long wank!

Author of ISBN
Old 05-29-2019, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Infinity Wank?

I think the MCU is being run by the wrong people, dragonfire. They have no respect whatsoever for the comics and are just a bunch of elitist Hollywood dips.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

I think the MCU is being run by the wrong people, dragonfire. They have no respect whatsoever for the comics and are just a bunch of elitist Hollywood dips.
Sorry that you feel that way. Interesting.
Spoiler:
Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Killing all six would have been better than what they did.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

See, that just proves my point, dragonfire. Feige and Marvel don't care about the characters. Killing everyone? Basically that means they never had any intention of keeping this continuity. Movies obviously can't run continuously like comic books because characters in comics never age and seldom die, and even when they're "presumed" dead they come back after a while. So I'm guessing that they just want to keep re-telling the Avengers story doing it a little different each time. After 2024 when X-Men and FF make it into the MCU we'll see. Feige said that the current Avengers story "isn't finished yet," emphasis on the "yet." But yeah, this is just Hollywood doing whatever the hell they want to do and not caring about the source material.