Old 05-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Other Marvel Characters Thread #11

Previoius thread: http://www.fanforum.com/f135/other-m...-9-a-63214629/
Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
I wasn't impressed by the trailers or the casting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori (View Post)
It is a pretty character-driven slowburn type of show. The leads have good chemistry and can only grow into their roles even more. Though I liked the first season, the finale was weak and I feared a sophomore slump. So far the second season is better.
Thanks for the info. But I'm not really fan of Freeform stuff, myself. Also, I wasn't a fan of the Cloak and Dagger comic book when I was a kid in the 80s. I felt they were a bit derivative and gimmicky.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Total Fan

No prob. I think most people were skeptical because of Freeform, I certainly was. The show has made interesting inversions to avoid stereotypes and create more nuanced characterization. Even the gimmicky elements have been rooted in character and given more depth.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Wtf is Freeform?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

it's a channel. Can't remember what it was called before

Author of ISBN
Old 05-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Total Fan

ABC Family
Old 05-11-2019, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

FAMILY? I obviously chose well to avoid the show. I'm tired of Disney trying to appeal to younger audiences.

In the Marvel comics Cloak and Dagger don't look like kids, particularly not Cloak, who looks very imposing. But the actors Disney cast look barely out of pampers.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Total Fan

They changed to name specifically because they didn't want to appeal to younger audiences anymore. The first episode has blood, sex, and attempted rape. A later episode shows a bloody corpse stuffed in a fridge.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, ABC Family Channel is what it used to be. I have no idea why they changed because they're still owned by Disney, and their programming is not exactly what The Mouse usually puts out.

Yeah, sum1 is right. The actors on Cloak & Dagger do look like kids. In the comics, they're adults, and this is one of the things that annoys both me and sum1 about comic book adaptations lately.

Quote:
No prob. I think most people were skeptical because of Freeform, I certainly was. The show has made interesting inversions to avoid stereotypes and create more nuanced characterization. Even the gimmicky elements have been rooted in character and given more depth.
Well, Freeform's ratings are garbage, and it's easy to see why. Even when they have a show that people like, they end up cancelling it due to poor ratings, and the ratings go down because viewers lose interest after a while because the shows' writers aren't interested in storytelling so much as they're interested in being "woke." And for all their attempts to avoid stereotypes, they only end up engaging in all new "woke" stereotypes rather than just writing characters as human beings. They're even worse than The CW at this point. PC results in lousy writing.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Freefart.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Total Fan

Cloak & Dagger is way better than that melodramatic teen soap opera Arrowverse crap. I'm still pissed at how badly they screwed over Black Canary.

I can't speak on the quality of other Freeform shows, but Cloak & Dagger's writers, while they can be too on the nose at times, have put a lot of effort into crafting three-dimensional characters who grow from their experiences. And superpowers aside, they've handled the second season's sex trafficking/domestic abuse storyline with raw, uncomfortable authenticity. Runaways is the one that's like a CW show, especially season two. Cloak & Dagger is surprisingly reminiscent of the Netflix shows. The Gifted I'd say is somewhere in between. And Legion is a weird head trip that barely has anything to do with Marvel.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

From the trailers I've seen, those two actors just don't work as Cloak and Dagger. I don't recognize them as being the characters I know. Which invalidates the whole show as far as I'm concerned. As for the Arrowverse shows, Arrow is a boring show with a boring lead, LOT is bland, and I don't have a clear opinion on Flash, but Supergirl has some excellent casting that elevates the show above the usual CW stuff. It's one of the few tv shows still airing that I have any interest in watching.

I hate Legion. Since when does a non-Jewish English guy qualify for playing a Jewish/semi-Israeli character? Taking roles away from minorities is not good. It's as if they cast Emily Blunt as Storm.

Last edited by sum1; 05-11-2019 at 05:06 PM
Old 05-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Total Fan

They are different, that's not automatically bad. The Ultimate versions were teenagers.

I don't like how Arrow is just a thinly veiled Batman show. Gave up on Legends because of the infuriating disregard of their own time travel rules. Flash reused the same season arc for the first three seasons in a row. I'm not very familiar with Supergirl or Black Lightning. By the time those shows came along I'd had enough of the Arrowverse's style over substance approach, flagrant contempt for basic logic, and tendency to poorly adapt popular characters and storylines for cheap buzz. It's junk food TV.

I heard Rhona Mitra appeared as Mercy Graves, maybe I'll check that out. Disappointed with what they did with Mercy in BvS. Young Justice and Doom Patrol are two of the best DC shows out right now IMO.

Seems like Disney is trying to use Hulu to reach older audiences. Apparently they're working on Ghost Rider and Hellstorm/Satana shows. There's speculation about Blade, Elsa Bloodstone, and a Midnight Sons crossover too.

Chelsea Handler's Dazzler/Tigra show perplexes me. What a random duo.

Last edited by Mori; 05-11-2019 at 10:07 PM
Old 05-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
They are different, that's not automatically bad. The Ultimate versions were teenagers.
Making Cloak and Dagger come across like toddlers ruins the characters. Also, the Ultimate line was crap.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I agree about the Ultimate Universe. I hated that thing.

I also agree that Arrow was ripping off Batman for the most part. They didn't even try to stick to the Green Arrow mythology. The Flash also tended to rip off Superman at times as well.

Oh, is that what Disney is doing? I think they need to ease up on those streaming shows because the continuity always gets messed up.

There's a Dazzler/Tigra show? Since when? Oh, I see that it's animated. And Dazzler is a mutant, so what's she doing teaming with Tigra?