Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, remember how they had that Cudmore guy play Colossus as if he was just an American guy, no Russian accent?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Was he the one who played Colossus in X-2: X-Men United?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Yeah, that sucked. I have no idea why so many people defended X-2. It could've been better.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I find it fairly forgettable.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

When is The New Mutants coming out again? Before or after Dark Phoenix?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
When is The New Mutants coming out again? Before or after Dark Phoenix?
Before obviously. It comes out on April 13th, which is also on a Friday.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Star

Cheesy release date.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:27 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum1 (View Post)
Why can't they get an American to play Sam Guthrie? He's from Kentucky, for god's sake, not England. And that guy looks awful in the role. Sam/Cannonball was one of my favorite characters in the '90s when he became team leader of X-Force and I hate to see him horribly miscast.

Royally pissed off.
Hi,

Long time lurker here. I just want to say that Charlie Heaton (Cannonball) has pretty good southern accent on one of the set videos, while young Magik still has Russian accent so at least we don't have to worry about the accents in this movie
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ah, thanks for the info, LightYears. I was too lazy to just Google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1210 (View Post)
Hi,

Long time lurker here. I just want to say that Charlie Heaton (Cannonball) has pretty good southern accent on one of the set videos, while young Magik still has Russian accent so at least we don't have to worry about the accents in this movie
Hello, Ryan! Welcome to the board! I'm glad you decided to post, and I hope you can post here again!

Thanks for the info. Do you know where we can find the on set vids?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:59 PM
New Fan

Quote:

Hello, Ryan! Welcome to the board! I'm glad you decided to post, and I hope you can post here again!

Thanks for the info. Do you know where we can find the on set vids?
Hi!

Here's the first day on set video of Charlie

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWXI4W5B...arlie.r.heaton

And this is young Magik's

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPH_Erj...a_colbigannett
Old 10-20-2017, 04:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome, Ryan.

But there's a lot more to playing a nationality than accents. Would it have been so hard for them to get a southern US actor to play Cannonball?
Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1210 (View Post)
Hi!

Here's the first day on set video of Charlie

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWXI4W5B...arlie.r.heaton

And this is young Magik's

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPH_Erj...a_colbigannett
Thanks for those links, Ryan! Those are awesome! That young actress speaking Russian is amazing.

Yes, I know, sum1. There's a lot of regionality to accents that makes them unique, but you know actors. They like to believe they can play anyone, hence the term "acting."
Old 10-21-2017, 01:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Yes, I know, sum1. There's a lot of regionality to accents that makes them unique, but you know actors. They like to believe they can play anyone, hence the term "acting."
You're misunderstanding what I was saying. My point was that there's a lot APART from accents that goes into playing a nationality. A person can get an accent right and still get everything else about the nationality wrong. As often happens. The idea that actors can play anyone is an idea derived from theatre and has no place in cinema. Quite simply no actor is qualified to play everybody and for them to assume they can is sheer arrogance. Can Arnold Schwarzenegger play Willow Rosenberg from Buffy? Can Hugh Jackman play Martin Luther King? They can't and nor can Benedict Cumberbatch effectively play Doctor Strange, because Doctor Strange is American and Cumberbatch brings a British manner to everything he does.

Last edited by sum1; 10-21-2017 at 02:12 AM
Old 10-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No, I get what you're saying. I'm just saying that a lot of actors think they can overcome that by pure talent. But I guess a discerning eye and ear can still tell the difference?

So what did you think of Daniel Day Lewis as Abraham Lincoln? A British actor playing one of the greatest American presidents of all time? He won an Oscar, but what's your take? And what about Cate Blanchett? She's Australian, but she's played both American and British characters. No, a male actor can't play a female role, and a white actor can't play a black character and vice versa, but I think that some people feel that Americans, Australians, and British can still come close to each other. James McAvoy is Scottish and played Charles Xavier.

And you can really tell that about Cumberbatch? So you're saying there's no way he can play American?