Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida's Army (View Post)
Well that's what I was saying... it was a plot driven thing that ended with Matt getting the boot regardless of whether that was what he wanted or not...
Maybe Moffat was worried that Matt would be typecast as the Doctor in future roles.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Robb66 (View Post)
Maybe Moffat was worried that Matt would be typecast as the Doctor in future roles.
Not a chance. Absolutely no chance- writers write what they want unless an actor quits. He's not going to write out a popular Doctor that's making the BBC, and himself, serious £££, when Smith doesn't want to leave, just because he doesn't want him to be typecast. If Matt doesn't mind, then why should a writer write him out? Nah, I think he wanted to be the one to address the regeneration limit issue for what was essentially an ego trip. He wanted to be the writer to address the regeneration, and that was the reason in my mind why Matt had to go. It was purely plot driven. Writer's main priorities begin and end with the script. If it coincides with an actor's wishes, so much the better. If not, then writer will still write it anyway.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:18 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Not a chance. Absolutely no chance- writers write what they want unless an actor quits. He's not going to write out a popular Doctor that's making the BBC, and himself, serious £££, when Smith doesn't want to leave, just because he doesn't want him to be typecast. If Matt doesn't mind, then why should a writer write him out? Nah, I think he wanted to be the one to address the regeneration limit issue for what was essentially an ego trip. He wanted to be the writer to address the regeneration, and that was the reason in my mind why Matt had to go. It was purely plot driven. Writer's main priorities begin and end with the script. If it coincides with an actor's wishes, so much the better. If not, then writer will still write it anyway.
Yep so in conclusion moffat sucks?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Yep so in conclusion moffat sucks?
Essentially
Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 PM
Absolute Fan

I kind of figured Matt would stay and do another year or so after the anniversary, much like two previous Doctors did (Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison). It pains me to think Matt was forced out. Please continue this discussion, I am reading it with great interest.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
I kind of figured Matt would stay and do another year or so after the anniversary, much like two previous Doctors did (Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison). It pains me to think Matt was forced out. Please continue this discussion, I am reading it with great interest.
I thought he wanted to stay for another year with Jenna. You do bring up a great point.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I thought he wanted to stay for another year with Jenna. You do bring up a great point.
Thanks. To be honest, I thought we were past this kind of nonsense from the BBC. Surely even if Moff wanted him gone, the BBC could have vetoed him.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Essentially
Glad we agree

Quote:
I think he really did

Quote:
Thanks. To be honest, I thought we were past this kind of nonsense from the BBC. Surely even if Moff wanted him gone, the BBC could have vetoed him.
Yer tbh I do think matt wAnted to stay but to be honest the way moffat was writing I think it was better for matt to leave cause he wasn't getting the best storyline to act
Old 11-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Ultimate Fan

He didn't film that last scene in Deep Breath. He filmed it during Time of the Doctor filming.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
See I'm not entirely sure that Davison or Pertwee left a year after the Anniversaries deliberately. I think that was more of a happy coincidence. Pertwee left after Delgado's death and Katy Manning's departure, both of which happened after the anniversary, and he just felt that it was an end of an era. He did, however, ask for a pay rise. If he got it, he would have stayed for one more series just for the money. But he didn't get it so was happy to go. As for Davison, shortly after he got the job, he met Patrick Troughton in the car park of the BBC who advised him to only do 3 years to avoid typecasting. The Five Doctors happened in Year 2 of the 3 year plan. He wasn't planning to stay more than 3 years, however he did say that if the scripts in the 3rd year had been as strong as Caves of Androzani, he would have disregarded Troughton's advise and done another year.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
See I'm not entirely sure that Davison or Pertwee left a year after the Anniversaries deliberately. I think that was more of a happy coincidence. Pertwee left after Delgado's death and Katy Manning's departure, both of which happened after the anniversary, and he just felt that it was an end of an era. He did, however, ask for a pay rise. If he got it, he would have stayed for one more series just for the money. But he didn't get it so was happy to go. As for Davison, shortly after he got the job, he met Patrick Troughton in the car park of the BBC who advised him to only do 3 years to avoid typecasting. The Five Doctors happened in Year 2 of the 3 year plan. He wasn't planning to stay more than 3 years, however he did say that if the scripts in the 3rd year had been as strong as Caves of Androzani, he would have disregarded Troughton's advise and done another year.
Some feel that the classic series was running out of ideas by the time Peter Davison left in 1984. Had he stayed, do you think he could have made the scripts written for Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy work?
Old 11-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Some feel that the classic series was running out of ideas by the time Peter Davison left in 1984. Had he stayed, do you think he could have made the scripts written for Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy work?
That's an interesting question. I mean, it is entirely possible that the scripts would be completely different. I mean, there's a massive difference between Peter's and Colin's Doctor, so it could have been completely different. However, I think the problems that existed in terms of the behind the scenes stuff (The constant dispute between JNT and Eric Saward, the death of the great Robert Holmes, the use of Pip and Jane Baker who were not the greatest writers in the world) kind of implies that the problems would still have existed regardless. Having said that, the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras were rocky, yes, but there were good bits and tbh they weren't as bad as people think. None of them were classics, but they were pretty good. But the BBC were not wanting to invest in it, Michael Grade despised it and JNT was not a great producer. But it was a shame because it was getting better in the McCoy years, and what was really sad, as the stories that were planned prior to the cancellation looked really good. The Cartmell Masterplan had some really strong ideas and they were already being put into place prior to the cancellation. So it was a shame it got cancelled.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
That's an interesting question. I mean, it is entirely possible that the scripts would be completely different. I mean, there's a massive difference between Peter's and Colin's Doctor, so it could have been completely different. However, I think the problems that existed in terms of the behind the scenes stuff (The constant dispute between JNT and Eric Saward, the death of the great Robert Holmes, the use of Pip and Jane Baker who were not the greatest writers in the world) kind of implies that the problems would still have existed regardless. Having said that, the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy eras were rocky, yes, but there were good bits and tbh they weren't as bad as people think. None of them were classics, but they were pretty good. But the BBC were not wanting to invest in it, Michael Grade despised it and JNT was not a great producer. But it was a shame because it was getting better in the McCoy years, and what was really sad, as the stories that were planned prior to the cancellation looked really good. The Cartmell Masterplan had some really strong ideas and they were already being put into place prior to the cancellation. So it was a shame it got cancelled.
Yes, McCoy was starting to come along with his scripts by that third season. His final series was far more cohesive than arguably his first two. As for Colin Baker, what I would like to know is who if any herein actually preferred the Trial season over Season 22 in 1985? I think I did, but then I was fond of the Trial since first seeing it in the late 80s on PBS one summer.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 AM
Moderator Support Team

oh I love this discussion ..
Old 11-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
oh I love this discussion ..
Do you want some popcorn?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread