Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Absolute Fan

Someone who went to last night's concert said that Diana sang all of her original solos, including "Old Time Rock and Roll," despite Tamyra's presence. But he/she also just posted a setlist and said that was basically what was performed. Someone else claims their friend said OTRAR wasn't cut from an earlier show with Tamyra, either, yet most other reports since Tamyra joined don't mention it. Who knows. I hope that if it was originally cut, they ended up adding it back in.

Here's a GREAT, detailed MTV.com article on the behind the scenes of the tour.

The link is to the last page of the article because there's a Diana video there (which won't load for me, unfortunately) and a cute picture of her with a fan up at the top, plus a flipbook of pictures that includes S&B all up in the camera again (well, Sunshine, anyway... Diana blocked Bunnies with her mic, the little tease that she is). There are a couple of other flipbooks of behind the scenes tour pics in the side column, too. They all have some cute shots of DiDi. I'm annoyed there's no solo pic of Diana in the "tour rehearsals" (which looks like an actual show to me) flipbook, though.

Anyway, the only Diana-relevent passages from the article are:

Quote:
Rather than sweat the adjustment, the girls goof around, making fun of Fantasia's "mom clothes." Diana DeGarmo, in a T-shirt and jeans, stands on the side of the stage, telling whoever's on the receiving end of her cell phone how amazing the show is.

-----------

Then there's the official meet-and-greet in each city, where contest winners, concertgoers who purchased expensive ticket packages, and local reps for tour sponsor Pop Tarts mingle with the singers. Boxes of the breakfast snack are set out, and by the second night the Idols are munching on them.

Perhaps this explains why they're rarely seen in the catering room. Instead, the tables are often occupied by Jasmine's father, Rudy, Diana's mother, Brenda, and John's mother, Lynne, who are required to chaperone their minors on the tour.

The parents are already close friends from living together during the "Idol" season and can relate to each others' stresses. In Salt Lake City, Brenda and Lynne complain about $900 cell phone bills.

When not together, the parents are with their kids, Brenda managing Diana, Lynn mothering John (often to his embarrassment) and Rudy providing comic relief for everyone. During one of the meet-and-greets, he poses as a fan and tries to convince George he voted for him during the show.

-----------

At another table sits Diana, although she's too busy doing interviews, signing posters and talking business with her mom to eat. She's probably the hardest working singer on tour, although she still makes time to hang with the gang and joke around. "Doesn't this look like Cheez Wiz?" she says of some hair gel during the 30 minutes it takes to get her hair done. "It even has a top that looks like Cheez Wiz!"
She is easily amused. I love her.

I'm not surprised at all to hear she's the hardest working one on tour. I would have guessed that about her without hesitation. But it's nice to see it in print. Sometimes I think she doesn't quite get the recognition for her dedication and work ethic that she deserves.

Quote:
Originally posted by ++Cam++
Oh noooo... trying not to imagine John....
According to that MTV article Jasmine was flirting with him. I only read the Diana mentions, though, so I don't know anymore about that. The Other Kelly better watch out. Between a flirting Jasmine and a... self-satisfying Diana, John might forget he has a girlfriend back home.

Quote:
I think if I were in the bus with them and I had to get some shut-eye, I'd be completely annoyed. But then, I don't sleep that much when I travel with friends.
I'd probably hang with Jennifer and stuff my face with junk food. She seems... distant from a lot of the other finalists.

Supposedly Amy and La Toya are on Diana, Jasmine and John's bus, but George said on the TV Guide Channel special that there were 8 people on his bus, including Tamyra and himself. So it would stand to reason that Amy and La Toya are also on it, since we only know of Jen, Camile, Fantasia and JPL otherwise. I'm confused.

Speaking of the TVGC special, there was an entire segment on just Diana (taped the day of the Vision Awards), and she popped up in the other segments every now and then, too. At one point she was mocking Camile and Fantasia over some song they made up (Camile turned around and mocked her back). Heh. If I recall correctly, other than George giving us a look at the tour buses, Diana was the only one who had an entire segment to herself, and hers was entirely about HER whereas George's was really not about him, but the buses. So HA! to that.

"What is love if cops don't come? I'm sorry, if you've never broken into my house or threatened my pets, you don't love me." --Storm Large
Old 07-26-2004, 07:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
From the MTV Article
Jasmine takes the least time of the ladies to primp but spends the most time in the room
Well, well... color me surprised.

Quote:
Jasmine attacks him with blush and chases him out of the room.

"I always tease John," Jasmine says. "I flirt with him, like, 'John, you're my baby daddy.' "
Let's not go there. Please. Heh. This segment is cute though. Sometimes I just want to chuck a size 8 on Jasmine's head, y'know, playfully...

Quote:
In Salt Lake City's hair and makeup room, he boasts of Jennifer's voice to Jasmine, who is still lingering. "She don't ever get hoarse," he says.
OMG, burn! Heh.

Camile and Fantasia got some cute moments with the eyeliner song, hee. I love them all. Maaaan... Jennifer's got a big voice, I had to turn down my speakers during her video segment. In the video, Fantasia wears this poofy yellow dress, heh. LaToya seems fun, seriously. Of course backstage, I could remember hearing Diana's loud, squealy voice while she's jumping around with Jasmine and co.

Quote:
She's probably the hardest working singer on tour, although she still makes time to hang with the gang and joke around.
I loved her video segment, but it was short! Huh? More Diana goofiness!!

Awwwwwww....

Last edited by ++Cam++; 07-26-2004 at 07:11 PM
Old 07-26-2004, 09:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
At another table sits Diana, although she's too busy doing interviews, signing posters and talking business with her mom to eat. She's probably the hardest working singer on tour, although she still makes time to hang with the gang and joke around. "Doesn't this look like Cheez Wiz?" she says of some hair gel during the 30 minutes it takes to get her hair done. "It even has a top that looks like Cheez Wiz!"
Aw! I'm not surprised that she's the hardest working, but seeing it written and giving her credit for it is nice. I think she's like Kelly in that respect: great work ethic, but still knows how to have fun and not take it all so seriously.

I'm thinking of writing an "essay" just for fun. Making it cheezy (pardon the pun) because I don't honestly know how to write those type of things seriously. Plus, I'm in the middle of writing all of my final papers, I can write 200 words in my sleep at this point.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Absolute Fan

Diana will be featured in the August 1st issue of Parade magazine. It comes in the local Sunday newspapers.

There's audio from the second half of the St. Paul concert here. It won't work for me, but it works for most other people.

That seems to be the case with those MTV videos. I want to see DiDi and her cheez wiz hair!

Had I read the entire MTV article, I'd have answered my own questions about who is on the tour bus with George, etc., but of course that's not my way.

Quote:
Originally posted by A. B. Normal
Aw! I'm not surprised that she's the hardest working, but seeing it written and giving her credit for it is nice. I think she's like Kelly in that respect: great work ethic, but still knows how to have fun and not take it all so seriously.
That is why they're soulmates.

Huh? Wrong thread? My mistake.

Quote:
I'm thinking of writing an "essay" just for fun. Making it cheezy (pardon the pun) because I don't honestly know how to write those type of things seriously.
Heh. Neither can I.

Quote:
Plus, I'm in the middle of writing all of my final papers, I can write 200 words in my sleep at this point.
Most paragraphs I write on this board are approaching 200 words.

"What is love if cops don't come? I'm sorry, if you've never broken into my house or threatened my pets, you don't love me." --Storm Large
Old 07-27-2004, 04:47 AM
Master Fan

Aww, those Diana bits in that articles are cool.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Absolute Fan

"That articles."

Old 07-27-2004, 04:59 AM
Master Fan

I wanna see Diana's Cheez Whiz hair, too.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:16 AM
Absolute Fan

Just because:

Old 07-27-2004, 05:21 AM
Master Fan

She's so cute.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:23 AM
Absolute Fan

And that's at least one pic which doesn't make me think, "Not cute. Hot."

Old 07-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Master Fan

And the one where she looks 12, right?

Of course not.

Oh, heh, I just wanted the Jay Leno interview to cap the finger thing (that sounds dirty) and she mentioned AMTK and that she was on it "a couple years ago". I think you were right, Sheana, and she was 14. Dammit.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:51 AM
Absolute Fan

I forgot about the pic where she looks 12. That's another one I don't think is hot. Okay, I do, a little. But it makes me feel WAY dirtier than thinking she's hot when she looks her age.

Okay, I'm all screwed up, because I thought the girl who won AMTK was on the same Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade as Justin (2002), but it must have been the one with Clay (2003), because the IMDb says the show aired in March 2003 (and now that I think about it... I don't know how I didn't realize how off my thinking was since I know none of these talent shows aired until after the first season of AI finished and people saw its success). So that means Diana was 15 when she auditioned.

Also according to the IMDb, American Juniors' Morgan Burke was a contestant on AMTK, as well. That kid bugged me.

Old 07-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Absolute Fan

From IF, something that was posted on a Donna Summer site by a Donna fan:

Quote:
On American Idol, I sat next to Diana's (the girl who sang "enough is enough") mother and her friends (from Snellville, Atlanta-- real name of the city). They told me that Diana was really the only girl brave enough to sing one of Donna's songs and the other contestants were asked to also by the producers, but they were completely intimidated to do so in front of Donna. It also did not really help that Donna had not really met any of the contestants and worked with them the way Barry Manilow did in rearranging his songs and spending personal quality time with each contestant. Diana's mother is a very sweet lady and she told me that she was so happy with her daughter's performances and wardrobe tonight. She told me that she didn't allow the staff to chose Diana's clothes tonight, but that she had done it herself. She also told me that Diana had really studied the Babs-Donna duet a lot. I told her that I had seen Donna do it in concert and she still performs it as a duet with her sister Mary Bernard on stage with a funny introductory story. Diana's mother told me that Diana had to keep cutting short the song because it really is a long song and the producers told her to edit it as much as possible, and even suggested that she altogether cut off the slow intro of "no more tears" part and get straight to "enough is enough". Diana wanted to keep at least a little of the intro on, and she did a fantastic job in turning this duet into a solo performance and I am sure that Donna was impressed as was everyone- it was indeed the best performance of the night. She told me that the contestants will be performing with Donna tomorrow night.
WOW.

1. See what happens when they let Diana pick her OWN wardrobe? Two of my favorite looks for Diana were that night, especially the TII dress.

2. Balls. Of. Steel. Times three, apparently (singing a Donna Summer song in front of Donna Summer, picking her own clothes, not cutting the intro of NMT altogether). Balls of freakin' steel. (She doesn't have balls, but that's besides the point.)

I [heart] Diana. And her balls.

Oooh! 2:44!

Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Master Fan

Oooh, TII dress, yum.

Speaking of... well, not at all really, but this is cute.

And just because-

Old 07-27-2004, 09:02 AM
Absolute Fan

Hee! to those pictures. I love the expression on her face when the Jaded Journalist asks her for the atomic weight of Beryllium. Funniest. *****. Ever. (I say that about a lot of things, don't I? Oh, well.) But the JJ has pissed me off with his subsequent anti-Diana comments, so he can go screw himself.

I just listened to NMT, and it freaks me out to think the dumbass producers almost deprived us of Diana's original hard Ts.