Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Elite Fan

The Killer Elite

Went to see this because of Jason Statham and Yvonne Strahovski. I'm not a huge DeNiro fan, so luckily he's not in the majority of the movie.

Critics have ripped this one apart, but I enjoyed it. The trailers sell a way different movie than is delivered, but I still enjoyed it. Jason Statham played his usual bad-ass role, and it was interesting seeing Yvonne, usually so strong and sure in Chuck as a farm girl who wears dresses and is put off by violence.

Tucker and Dale Vs Evil

If you haven't seen this movie, then I highly recommend that you remedy that situation in some way. it is hilarious. It has great gore effects, and it smartly lampoons the 'backwoods hicks who murder fun-loving college kids' sub-genre of horror.

The basic set-up is this: Tucker and Dale are headed into the mountains to visit a 'vacation home' (actually a rundown old cabin) that they've just bought. Along the way they encounter a group of college kids camping out for the weekend, first when they nearly get into an accident with them, and next when they both stop at the same store for supplies.

It's quickly apparent that Tucker and Dale, while dimwitted, are harmless and simple dudes. Of course, the college kids are all freaked out by the 'hillbillies' and when one of the girls, Allie, slips and hits her head and falls into the lake, the "We've got your friend!" that they yell helpfully is interpreted as much more sinister, and a series of unfortunate accidents result in the remaining kids being convinced that Tucker and Dale are murdering them, and have Tucker and Dale convinced that the kids are part of a crazy suicide cult.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

Alias: Season 4, Episode 16 (13)

I was aware that after the awesome last episode about Rambaldi and Sloane and Clone would be a normal episode. Yes, it was, but it was fun and way better than the average stand alone episode, cos Marshall had to go on a mission to save Sydney, and he was so cool, so much fun, he accidentally shot a guy and had to take his eye out for something. He was great, a solide episode, you see, if the for me often boring or average stand alone episodes were always as solid as today, the show would be a bit better.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

The Killer Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Went to see this because of Jason Statham and Yvonne Strahovski. I'm not a huge DeNiro fan, so luckily he's not in the majority of the movie.

Critics have ripped this one apart, but I enjoyed it. The trailers sell a way different movie than is delivered, but I still enjoyed it. Jason Statham played his usual bad-ass role, and it was interesting seeing Yvonne, usually so strong and sure in Chuck as a farm girl who wears dresses and is put off by violence.
Yeah this is not my kind of movie at all so I will just wait to RedBox it in support of Yvonne. Its always fun to see actors in different roles even she said she found herself getting jealous at times when they were shooting the actions scenes. Haha girl is used to kickin butt.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

Parenthood: Season 3, Episode 2

Can anybody please tell me why I watched episode 1 and then waited almost 2 weeks to watch the 2nd episode? How dare I?! It was AWESOME! Yes, it was, every storyline was interesting, despite that I was unhappy about Sarah Ramos unemotional acting (sorry, it was boring to watch), the rest was great. Michael B. Jordan aka Alex had a great emotional scene at the end when he told his girlfriend the truth about his past - can't wait to see him on FNL. Do I have to say how much I the brothers Adam and Crosby and all of there scenes together including the great ending? Or how much I Lauren Graham as Sarah and all her scenes with Mark, the funny beginning or when she talked to Amber? And what about Julia and the baby? That was not great, but really good and was nicely done. And not to forget the great, but bitter and sad story about Max on the new normal school. And Christina all worried about her job, Adam's new job, and her two children? How many great scenes and moments were there? How good will next episode be? Usually, a drama show needs a couple of episodes to get to the great episode, but with Parenthood, it's episode 2 that is the first highlight. Wonderful, I this show, it's like it was written just for me, great actors, great drama, great storylines, great characters, great real feeling, great look, great family dynamic, a lot of fun to watch.

And good news for Revenge:

Quote:
The new fall TV season has officially begun, and one of the breakout shows (and one of the favorites around the EW offices) is ABC’s new nighttime soap Revenge. Starring Brothers & Sisters‘ Emily VanCamp as the vengeful Emily Thorne, who seeks retribution for her framed father, Revenge premiered on Wednesday to a surprisingly healthy 10.1 million viewers. So how will this soap play out? “I will tell you will have all of the answers to all of the questions that the pilot poses by the 13th episode,” says creator/executive producer Mike Kelley (Swingtown). “Then we will have an whole new installment of revenge that has to do with the trial of the murderer [of Daniel Grayson] that will take us through the back-half of the first season.”

The biggest question is what would season 2 entail? Another revenge saga? Basically, yes, according to Kelley, who cites Dexter as somewhat of a storytelling model. “In our show, there’s a whole conspiracy and seasons worth of people that will reap what they’ve sewn,” says the producer. “Revenge is a universal concept and it’s gonna permeate the show on every level. I plan to do installments of revenge. So I’ll set two installments a season which will be self-contained. They’ll focus on a group of people that need to come down and we’ll introduce new people. We’ll also give other characters on the show a reason to want their own revenge.”

source
When this article was posted on a German site, there were only positive comments about that! Of course not everybody is going "wow, how great is that", but the people like it, and I also like that I read a couple of times that people are positively surprised about Revenge, not only but because they got disappointed by other new shows. That's so cool to hear, I rather have it this way, that people expect nothing and get surprised than they expect the greatest new show and are disappointed. It's so great. If you like to read positive comments, click on the source link and scrowl down to the comments below the article, it's great to read.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 09-26-2011 at 03:41 PM
Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Master Fan

Castle

Fun Castle is best Castle. Lots of jokes, a little shippyness at the end, good mystery, all of the cast. Awesome, awesome, awesome. If I had one complaint (and I always do, heh) it's that I'd like to see one of these Alexis conflict stories go over a bunch of episodes. As far as I can remember (which isn't very far) they always get resolved in the end and it would be neat to see them carry over to next week just to switch up the formula a bit. Otherwise, A+ eppy!

Recorded Terra Nova and Heart of Dixie to watch sometime this week. There's too much TV to watch!!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

Two And A Half Men: Season 9, Episode 2

Again mediocre, sorry, I don't think Ashton as Walden is funny. No. Two laughs, Jake wasn't there, but Berta was. Since Tuesday is a day where I only watch one new US episode, I give it 2-3 more episodes.

Alias: Season 4, Episode 17

Solid episode, Vaughn and Dixon were on a normal mission, nothing special, though there is a cliffhanger. More interesting what Elena is up to, nice ending and Jack is sick and suffers from memory loss, so he will have to clean his conscious soon. Hope next episode is better again.

Home Improvement: Season 5, Episode 18

It was okay, I didn't like the story about Harry and Dolores. He was acting like the usual jerk towards her, she wanted to leave her, he was happy, Tim seemed not to like the new Harry, so he talked to Dolores. It was not bad, but an average episode with the typical happy ending.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 09-27-2011 at 12:04 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Master Fan

Hart of Dixie
Anyone else catch this? I just watched it and was very pleasantly surprised. When I heard The CW was trying to get back to its WB roots with this show I was skeptical but it really does have that old school vibe. Honestly has that kinda Everwood feel to it....even has a similar premise. There were a few overplayed southern stereotype moments but overall the episode was good and has me attached to a few of the characters already. Also Bilson's acting is much improved from her time on The O.C. so this show has promise.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl08 (View Post)
Hart of Dixie
Anyone else catch this? I just watched it and was very pleasantly surprised. When I heard The CW was trying to get back to its WB roots with this show I was skeptical but it really does have that old school vibe. Honestly has that kinda Everwood feel to it....even has a similar premise. There were a few overplayed southern stereotype moments but overall the episode was good and has me attached to a few of the characters already. Also Bilson's acting is much improved from her time on The O.C. so this show has promise.
Yes, I did, two days ago. I didn't like it, but you can read that from my post, if you like to read it it's on the last page. I was hoping for something The WB like, but it was not something like Everwood and especially no Everwood feeling. But please read what I wrote, I'm glad that you liked it, allow me to consult you how good the show develops over the next episodes.

Against The Wall: Season 1, Episode 8

I watched 5 episodes, but then gave up the show. I only watched this episode for Tom Amandes guest appearance, but it wasn't worth it. I'm sorry, he had only 2 scenes and like 3 seconds(!) with Treat Williams. Boring and disappointing episode, I like Treat Williams as Harold Abbott, and also liked him on Parenthood, but here I didn't feel that he was the perfect actor for that role. He did not play bad, but he also wasn't outstanding good. At least Treat Williams had some good scenes and had more screentime than in the 5 episodes I've seen before. The case was boring, really and at the end it was not special at all, just something that you see on every crime seen over and over again. I watched it, honestly I'd rather watched another pilot instead, but I wanted to watch it, and it was almost nothing.

The Playboy Club: Season 1, Episode 1

"You're fired." Network Season 2011/2012 sucks! Revenge FTW. I love you, Emily. I don't know what's going on, but New Girl, Up All Night, Hart Of Dixie, Ringer and the best of those but average Person Of Interest all had no good pilot. It's sad, but true for me at least. TPC is nothing I would want to watch for another episode. No feeling, no remotely okay dialoges, no 60s feeling, too much music numbers (3!), boring characters, no, it sucked.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 09-27-2011 at 02:46 PM
Old 09-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Master Fan

Hart of Dixie

I was disappointed in it too, Matt. I wanted to like it, but I ended up turning it off with 15 minutes left. Couldn't stand Rachel's character or any of the other characters. I could see what they were trying to do with the small town feeling and a hint of heart, but I don't think they pulled it off very well. The writing, the characterization, the music (6 songs in 15 minutes, I swear)...ooph.

Hopefully it gets better because it is nice to have shows like this on TV and if it does get better I'd like to tune back in, but it grates when networks promote these shows as being like Everwood and Gilmore Girls and don't deliver. Don't get our expectations up like that!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Master Fan

Hart ofDixie
Guess we have to agree to disagree on this one. Taking it for what it is I think the pilot was a good start.

Agreed on music especially in beginning while I liked the songs they seemed forced at times.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Master Fan

I'll be following yours and others thoughts as I do hope it gets better, because I'll be happy to tune back in if it does. Especially since Rachel Bilson is so gorgeous.

Terra Nova

Only decent. It's not as good as it could have been or probably should have been with the amount of money that went into it. Production-wise, it's pretty fantastic. The scenery looks amazing and most of the effects are a hit--other than some of the dinosaurs, which were more often a miss--and the premise is good. The son is annoying and I want to smack him, "Wah, wah, my dad went to prison for protecting our family and I hate him", like shut up. He needs to improve or get eaten quickly, but that's not going to happen since this show is all about daddy issues. There's a good mystery, though, I like most of the family, and the main, bearded dude from Avatar is an awesome badass (he was worth the whole two hours alone, honestly), so I'll watch until it gets canceled and none of the mysteries are resolved.

Person of Interest

Now that I liked. I'd say it was the best pilot so far. I've always had a soft spot for Jim Caviezel, while Michael Emerson needs no explanation. It's going to need to stop taking itself that seriously and it's going to need to introduce more than two characters and the cop as interesting characters, but it was a pretty kick ass start. Nothing too much to think about, just Caviezel going around shooting people while Emerson talks about the importance of everything with his most serious delivery. Good enough for me!

ETA:
New Girl

Still enjoying it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jess is like now that she's taken a stand against her ex and shown some strength and has moved on. I think we'll see a slightly new, less dependent side of her. I liked the JAM-Boree shirt, Winston's song coming on after the metal, Jess loving the guys but not knowing any of them and just meeting one of them, the guys pointing out that the ex had a scrunchy. Schmidt still needs to be toned down.

Last edited by 'Tos; 09-27-2011 at 09:50 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hart of Dixie

I was disappointed in it too, Matt. I wanted to like it, but I ended up turning it off with 15 minutes left. Couldn't stand Rachel's character or any of the other characters. I could see what they were trying to do with the small town feeling and a hint of heart, but I don't think they pulled it off very well. The writing, the characterization, the music (6 songs in 15 minutes, I swear)...ooph.
No, I didn't turn off, but I should've. Am not a person to drop a show so soon, it's not fair to not even finish the pilot, maybe it's not even fair to cancel a show after 1 episode, but that's what I consider okay for me. I liked the lawyer George (FNL Scott Porter) and the major, but since the focus was totally on Zooey (Rachel Bilson) and I didn't like her at all, it didn't matter. Yeah, I have so much problem with the music overdose on OTH, you can use music, please do so, I like it, but not in every scene and not constantly playing in the background. So you didn't see the end, you don't know that the guy who left her the practice is her real father(!). Yes, that's what really happened!

Quote:
Hopefully it gets better because it is nice to have shows like this on TV and if it does get better I'd like to tune back in, but it grates when networks promote these shows as being like Everwood and Gilmore Girls and don't deliver. Don't get our expectations up like that!
Yeah, maybe I'd do so, but if I don't like the lead character, don't think that she does okay acting and think she isn't believable as a doctor, I don't think I should watch one more episode. They said it's like Everwood, but I had my doubts from the beginning, you can say so, but you can't fool me or those fans! Both shows you mentioned I so much, if there will be another Everwood, networks can try the next 10 years to write such a show). I'm not angry, since I don't watch anything from The CW, besides Nikita and OTH, but that is not an original The CW Show. I'm not the target audience for that network.

New Girl: Season 1, Episode 2

Not really funny besides a couple of small jokes, not a good storyline, but it was way better than the annoying piot! Zooey Deschanel was only singing for a couple of times but that was it, she was quite nice to watch and looked pretty and also the 2 boys and the 1 new boy were not bad at all, though this Schmidt guy is talking about stuff I don't understand, top dog, okay, if he thinks that impresses the ladies, then let him continue. Anyway, I'll watch some more episodes, even if it won't be a great funny comedy, on Wednesdays I only got 2 new shows, so this 20 minutes won't hurt me at all.

Quote:
Person of Interest

Now that I liked. I'd say it was the best pilot so far. I've always had a soft spot for Jim Caviezel, while Michael Emerson needs no explanation. It's going to need to stop taking itself that seriously and it's going to need to introduce more than two characters and the cop as interesting characters, but it was a pretty kick ass start. Nothing too much to think about, just Caviezel going around shooting people while Emerson talks about the importance of everything with his most serious delivery. Good enough for me!
Michael Emerson can be great, but here I feel he's wasted. I read today, that he "only" got the job, cos his show with Terry O'Quinn didn't get a pilot, so they made up for that and gave him this show. Of course I like him, but he can do so much more. I totally agree with you, the show is too serious, but I don't see any way to make the show a bit more light or even funny, should they give Reese an african-american fast talking comedian side kick like Chris Rock? The thing I liked was how cool Caviezel was and the shooting, but that alone is not enough, I need more. I watch like 2-3 more episodes and then I decided if I cancel it or not. If every episode is the same then I'm out. But it was the 2nd best pilot I've seen so far (including comedies) from this season, so maybe there is hope.

Quote:
New Girl

Still enjoying it. I'm looking forward to seeing what Jess is like now that she's taken a stand against her ex and shown some strength and has moved on. Schmidt still needs to be toned down.
I now kinda like it, wasn't a fan of the pilot. Jess a bit stronger and more normal is better, Schmidt really needs to be more normal too, if he keeps on going to act like that, he'll be an idiot.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 09-28-2011 at 08:29 AM
Old 09-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Elite Fan

Hart of Dixie

I liked the show. Was it perfect? Heck no. I liked Rachel Bilson, and I found her as believable as I do any CW protagonist, and I really liked Scott Porter and the guy who played the mayor. Jamie King's hair was funky and made me wonder what they were thinking, but I generally like her, and I'm sure she'll make a decent villain.

I didn't love the soundtrack either, and while I didn't find the big city northerner in a small town jokes out of line with things that I've experienced myself, it's not a crutch that the show should rely on, because it could get tiring and grating quickly.

Castle

Hmm. I guess that the show is trying to make Kate Beckett into the perfect woman, and they're succeeding. Not only is she super-hot and confident; she carries a gun, fights crime, and is a closet comics geek. I'll dock her points for the whole Sin City reference (because I think the series and the artist Frank Miller are overrated), but overall, she's awesome-sauce.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Heart of Dixie:

I wasn't familiar with this new series until I read your comments. I checked it out and it appears to be a Southern version of Northern Exposure...without the moose.
I see that there is another actor from FNL on the show...Vince's dad.

It looks kind of cute.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-28-2011 at 01:04 PM
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Alias: Season 4, Episode 18

Interesting, very drama-esque episode. Just some minutes of action at the beginning and at the end, between the episode dealt with Jack's sickness, his hallucinations and how the team found out where he send his doctor to. Was nice to watch, but I expect more from the last 4 episodes.

Home Improvement: Season 5, Episode 19

It was okay. The attractive news lady Kelly Barns came to Tool Time to do a report on Tim, but she wanted a bit more. Jill was sick at home. There were some funny moments, but all in all it was to little, to predictable.

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 09-28-2011 at 12:12 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread