Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
For example, lets compare Everwood to The O.C... Now, while I faithfully watch The O.C, and I think that Adam Brody is simply delightful.. However, if you go by the quality, PURE QUALITY in the writing, acting, overall storytelling, cast chemistry, etc.. Everwood is the runaway winner.
There is a difference between execution and implementation. The Amanda / Andy storyline can be a good example of that. Technically it was well done. The acting was top notch. Even if the decisions the characters made were terrible there really was no copouts. They made bad decisions and were made to look bad doing them. That's not to say it was a storyline that added anything to the story or was enjoyable to watch.

An extreme example might be the show Once & Again. Very well done, very well nuanced. But even being a fan at times I had to almost force myself to watch it.

The OC on the other hand is trashy. The stories were nothing remarkable. Neither were the characters but it's a fun watch. Getting kinda tired of it this year. But it's still a guilty pleasure.

Which is why it's important that Everwood not veer too much towards the drama side. It's the balance between the good solidly written drama and the lighter comedic moments that make the show enjoyable. If you fall into pure melodrama and all the characters take themselves overly seriously you'll drown in melodrama. Which IMHO is what happened on Dawson's Creek when they killed off Abby (Monica Keena). After that everyone was free to self indulgently wallow in their existential distress without someone rudely coming in telling them to just get over themselves.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself
Old 02-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Candace, great way to express the differences in watching Everwood versus The O.C... I am so with you. While watching Everwood, I am 110% attentive and any outside distraction annoys the hell out of me. Even the phone ringing bothers me! LOL Or overhearing a dull but still "noise filled" conversation going on outside of the room I am watching the show in irritates me! It's so true that I feel like if I miss a beat of the show, I will miss the general meaning/message/ theme of that particular episode. And this notion rings true with every episode.

With The O.C., I can be on my computer, take a quick phone call, grab a snack in the kitchen, could care less about a conversation going while watching, etc. Totally different!

Raja, wonderful post.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:50 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja
Another year for Wolf? Bleh. How about they give Delia, Nina, or hell Irv a little screen time again. Maybe they ditched Laynie but how about a progress report on how Mr and Mrs Hart are doing?

Good side abut the hiatus. I can watch 24 as it airs instead of having to tivo it.
Alrighty I know I'm gonna get attacked for this one, lol, but once Scott Wolf goes I go, he is the only reason I tuned into the show in the first place (never watched it before this season) and the only reason I faithfully watch the show each week. While I enjoy the show I can't see myself making the effort to tune in every week if Scott Wolf is no longer with the show.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Elite Fan

The name of this thread should be ... The Everwood Pinecone! (Watched that episodes today ... Deer God, )

kenny | credit
Old 02-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Master Fan

That is such a great idea, Ken, I can't believe we didn't think of it before. On FB, the Spoiler & Spec thread is called The Everwood Pinecone.
I made my icon.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Elite Fan

Oh Man! Wait ... what was the name of the High School paper Amy wanted to write for? The Franklin?

kenny | credit
Old 02-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Master Fan

Um, I think that's Gilmore Girls. And did you get my IM saying my DVD player's screwed, it's not the Wonderfalls discs?
I made my icon.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLSTAR
The name of this thread should be ... The Everwood Pinecone!
That's true! Hey, maybe we could title it that first and then write the other stuff... Magazine articles, News and Interviews thread #3..

So, like this..

Everwood Pinecone.. Magazine Articles, News and Interviews #3.

That sounds good to me.

I can start the thread or whoever else wants to can start it also whenever we hit 299/300..
Old 02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard-Core GG Fan
Um, I think that's Gilmore Girls. And did you get my IM saying my DVD player's screwed, it's not the Wonderfalls discs?
It is Gilmore Girls.

Oh, thank god! I'm so glad it wasn't the DVDs.

kenny | credit
Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Emily is in the March issue of SPIN magazine (info from TWoP)

Laura|
Old 02-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Awesome. Thanks for the info, Lazy. I'll be picking that one up.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard-Core GG Fan
That is such a great idea, Ken, I can't believe we didn't think of it before. On FB, the Spoiler & Spec thread is called The Everwood Pinecone.
Um this was at one point the Pinecone...actually this thread has had a lot of names and incarnations.....the pinecone being the first...wow suddenly nastalgic for the old board from the very begging before the stupid hackers came and crashed it and lost everything for us. seriously though this is probably actually the fourth or fifth news thread...you see how important it was here in the past.
-maria
Old 02-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Passionate Fan

When does Everwood come back?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

April 18th.

Wow, Maria.. Didn't know about the old days with this thread. Too bad we couldn't just up the number to 6 for the next thread.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Master Fan

Maria, what you said made a lot of sense. Because I was astounded to find that this very thread was started on May 19th 2003. That's when Home first aired, I seem to recall. Cuz I think Fear Itself aired on Emily's birthday which is May 12th.
I made my icon.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread