Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Master Fan

Hee, cute story about your friend thinking that Ephram and Amy were friends and then suddenly jumping into sex, Michelle. It's really true, though: they can look like friends sometimes, especially to non-hardcore fans. Which, I do think is what the writers were going for in a way. That they were great as friends and that even in a relationship, they were still best friends and had that emotional connection. It just means that we lost out on the physical connection, which sucks. I love the emotional connection, and I love that they're such great friends and that their relationship is centered on how well they get along, but that doesn't mean that you just completely ignore the physical aspect!! Stupid writers.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Over on the spoilers board, we were naming our top five male and female characters of all time, and guess who my Number One choices were?

I see a lot of fans of couples on different shows complain about their favorite couples’ “lack of sexy time,” but it didn’t bother me with Ephram and Amy, because you just knew they loved each other, and we didn’t need to see multiple make out sessions between them to prove that. To me, the looks they gave each other and the way they lit up around each other said it all for me. One scene that really brought that home for me when was when Ephram was laying back against Amy when he was talking about Will, and to me that scene was more tender, romantic, and loving than any sex scene we ever saw between them or any other couple on any other television show. To me, Ephram and Amy were it, and no other couple even comes close to what they had together.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Master Fan

I definitely agree, Jerry, that the special moments that we got between them were more loving, romantic and even sexy than anything we missed out on. I still wanted to see more physicality, of course, but it's nice to know that they didn't really need it, you know? Some couples on TV shows, that's ALL they have. They don't have any real chemistry, they don't really have any emotional connection or anything, so all they can do is have the physicality. Ephram and Amy had it all. We just wanted to see more of it!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hee, cute story about your friend thinking that Ephram and Amy were friends and then suddenly jumping into sex, Michelle. It's really true, though: they can look like friends sometimes, especially to non-hardcore fans.
Totally. Mike is also not a "typical" guy like you. So this was not coming from some guy that is like, "Show me some skin and action." He really was almost saying he thought they weren't ready for sex because they acted like friends up until this point if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
Which, I do think is what the writers were going for in a way. That they were great as friends and that even in a relationship, they were still best friends and had that emotional connection. It just means that we lost out on the physical connection, which sucks. I love the emotional connection, and I love that they're such great friends and that their relationship is centered on how well they get along, but that doesn't mean that you just completely ignore the physical aspect!! Stupid writers.
You summed this up perfectly. 100% completely. In a way I believe the writers almost didn't want to "dumb down" the audience by having to show the physical closeness because they already believed if we followed the EA story we should know it was happening behind the scenes anyway. Almost like showing it would be insulting our intelligence if that makes sense. I think that's why cheesy, physically painted soap opera couples are displayed as being all over each other because they LACK substance in the love story. There's no substance, so lets show lots of sex instead to fill the screen time... sort of, ummmm... like Ephram/Madison.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
I think that's why cheesy, physically painted soap opera couples are displayed as being all over each other because they LACK substance in the love story
Exactly what I was trying to say. The writers were too busy thinking up substantive scenes between the two of them instead of thinking of physicality. Which isn't a bad thing, but I do think we missed it. But it makes sense, because you think of the times that we did see Ephram and Amy having sex, and it said a lot about the characters rather than just being sex for the sake of sex as most teen dramas do. "The Reflex" was all about how understanding Ephram was and how he got Amy and wasn't going to push her, and also his confidence because of his experiences with Madison. The Postcard Scene said so much about how Ephram had matured and how deeply he loved Amy and how much he had missed her, etc. Still, they could have shown more kisses, more hand holding, making out, hugging, whatever even while making sure that them having sex would say more than just having sex for the sake of it. I think we're also supposed to assume that they were doing more when the camera was not on them, but that's not as much fun.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Exactly what I was trying to say. The writers were too busy thinking up substantive scenes between the two of them instead of thinking of physicality. Which isn't a bad thing, but I do think we missed it. But it makes sense, because you think of the times that we did see Ephram and Amy having sex, and it said a lot about the characters rather than just being sex for the sake of sex as most teen dramas do. "The Reflex" was all about how understanding Ephram was and how he got Amy and wasn't going to push her, and also his confidence because of his experiences with Madison. The Postcard Scene said so much about how Ephram had matured and how deeply he loved Amy and how much he had missed her, etc. Still, they could have shown more kisses, more hand holding, making out, hugging, whatever even while making sure that them having sex would say more than just having sex for the sake of it. I think we're also supposed to assume that they were doing more when the camera was not on them, but that's not as much fun.
Hee, exactly!

Wow, I think I am beginning to change my mind over being so upset about the lack of physicality. LOL. You just demonstrated a pattern showing how they utilized the sex scenes by showing more depth for Ephram and Amy, both as individuals, and as a couple. They definitely did this, I never really thought about it until you pointed it out.

This show was so much about substance it almost exploded with it! Outside of a few blips this show did not waste time on stupid, pointless stuff. Everything was mixed together to form a unique whole. It was kind of like the Harry Potter series in that they wrote a storyline that wasn't going to ultimately be cashed in during the present moment, but we were going to see the payday eventually. We were allowed to see the moments leading up to it. It flowed properly.

I am still miffed that we didn't get to see more intimacy such as hand holding, hugging, pecks but oh well I guess is what I say in the end because no matter what, the EA relationship, IMO, was the best emotionally romantic love story I have every witnessed on the screen. It doesn't get any better than what we saw which was, to me, ultimate perfection. I challenge someone to state another couple who had something close to what EA had, especially in the emotional connection department. I am confident in saying there is not one other TV couple that can come close or ever will.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I am confident in saying there is not one other TV couple that can come close or ever will.
Well....there's always Rebecca and Justin.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle
This show was so much about substance it almost exploded with it! Outside of a few blips this show did not waste time on stupid, pointless stuff. Everything was mixed together to form a unique whole. It was kind of like the Harry Potter series in that they wrote a storyline that wasn't going to ultimately be cashed in during the present moment, but we were going to see the payday eventually. We were allowed to see the moments leading up to it. It flowed properly.
Everything had a reason. Or at least was supposed to. Even the Madison story, which most us hated, gives so much confidence and experience to Ephram, and the baby drama eventually pushes Ephram to a journey in maturing and finding himself, and ultimately to Ephram and Andy bonding and being on equal levels. Now, Amanda, definitely one of those blips you mentioned.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Hi everyone! I guess I haven't kept my love of Everwood and Ephram and Amy a secret here on Fan Forum! I post a lot on the Gossip Girl spoilers thread, and look what someone just posted there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbogast (View Post)
Aww Thanks Jerry BTW, after your unashamed Ephram/Amy pimpage over the months I've been posting here, I finally watched Everwood. And you're right, the show and that couple (not to mention Bright) were pretty damn perfect
Another new Everwood and Ephram and Amy fan!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 01-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
don't remind me .It feels wrong to see them just no.
Awww looking at the OP .It's truly a shame Everwood DVD of S2-3-4 aren't out there .
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
I missed this!

Quote:
Now, Amanda, definitely one of those blips you mentioned.
Amanda would probably be a Rebecca/Justin fan since she was into weirdness like dating her stroke victim husbands doctor!

I still cannot get over how Berlanti oddly paralleled the two pairings such as Rebecca/Justin's first meeting like Ephram/Amy on top of the mountain or Rebecca/Justin's first disgusting kiss in a similar setting like Ephram/Amy season 2 on top of the mountain sharing their first real kiss before becoming a couple for the first time. Ahhh, so horrible!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Master Fan

Aw, that's so great that your love of Amy/Ephram is catching on, Jerry! Especially with new fans! That's such great news!

to WalaBridget! S2 is on DVD, just to let you know. We're still waiting on S3+S4, though, indeed.

And agreed big time on the "just no" for Justin/Rebecca, hee.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Jerry's my man who got me addicted, too. Remember Jerry? Back in the day on the Creek board while jointly fighting PJers, hee, you told me to check out Everwood. I took your sound advice and the rest is history, friend.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

Go Jerry for getting you into the show too, Michelle. A great move that has been paying off for you and all of us for years!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Go Jerry for getting you into the show too, Michelle. A great move that has been paying off for you and all of us for years!
Awe. LOL.

How did you get started watching, 'Tos? I need to know who or what to thank, hee.

Also, time for a new thread soon! Any ideas on a new title?
Closed Thread   Post New Thread