Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonyPie (View Post)
Really?? There were? I thought I was the first one on this board! There was no Andy/Harold thread before I created one, and I couldn't fathom why since they seem like one of the most obvious pairings on the show! But there really were a lot before? Where did they all go?
Back in the day when the episodes were airing live, so much of the Andy/Harold love was discussed on the episode discussion threads. It is possible when the huge crash took place at FF (it was super nasty) that thread was damaged and never recovered because I do remember there was an appreciation thread for them. The crash demolished a few threads and I would bet money that thread was attacked. I bet a new thread was never created after that, maybe because they were so talked about on the very active episode discussion threads, anyway. The fan following was large and awesome.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Back in the day when the episodes were airing live, so much of the Andy/Harold love was discussed on the episode discussion threads. It is possible when the huge crash took place at FF (it was super nasty) that thread was damaged and never recovered because I do remember there was an appreciation thread for them. The crash demolished a few threads and I would bet money that thread was attacked. I bet a new thread was never created after that, maybe because they were so talked about on the very active episode discussion threads, anyway. The fan following was large and awesome.
Omg, that's SO cool. Well, the part about there being a huge following for Andy/Harold...not the fact that the thread got destroyed, of course. I wish I was a part of this forum at that time!! It would have been amazing to gab about one of the greatest TV pairings ever with fellow obsessees.
HAROLD: I don't know what you mean.
LemonyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Loyal Fan

Okay, time to switch it up again!

I was thinking we probably wouldn't do all of the main cast because I'm not sure how much we'd get out of, say, Irv and Edna. Let me know if you think we should, though.

Do you have any controversial opinions about Amy?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Extreme Fan

I don't know if it's controversial, but I've mentioned before that I think Amy getting into Harvard and Princeton was just...so wrong. I wished she didn't get into those places; she really didn't earn her acceptances there at all, and it was probably the single most unrealistic thing that ever happened on the show.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Omg, that's SO cool. Well, the part about there being a huge following for Andy/Harold...not the fact that the thread got destroyed, of course. I wish I was a part of this forum at that time!! It would have been amazing to gab about one of the greatest TV pairings ever with fellow obsessees.
Agreed! I wish you were around then too. It would have been awesome. But you are now and that's all that matters. We can go off on our Andy/Harold love since it's never too late for those two.

Oh, I so agree about Amy getting into those schools and how unrealistic that was. I even found it somewhat unrealistic Rory on Gilmore Girls got into all of those colleges but it's ten times more unrealistic Amy did. No way. She was barely making it through school during her situational depression. In my mind, she would have had a bit of trouble getting into above average colleges as a result. It was completely unrealistic she was accepted into those elite schools.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Agreed! I wish you were around then too. It would have been awesome. But you are now and that's all that matters. We can go off on our Andy/Harold love since it's never too late for those two.
Yes, definitely! Are you an Andy/Harold shipper too then or do you just love them as friends?

Quote:
Oh, I so agree about Amy getting into those schools and how unrealistic that was. I even found it somewhat unrealistic Rory on Gilmore Girls got into all of those colleges but it's ten times more unrealistic Amy did. No way. She was barely making it through school during her situational depression. In my mind, she would have had a bit of trouble getting into above average colleges as a result. It was completely unrealistic she was accepted into those elite schools.
Totally. I mean, she probably explained the situation in her essays and retook the classes (did they mention if she did?), but still...She got only 1200/1600 on her SATs and she barely did any extracurricular activities at all...It was just ridiculous.

And yeah, I agree that Rory getting into Harvard, Yale, and Princeton was unrealistic too. Yale, I could understand, because she did have her grandfather as the alumni connection and she did have great SATs/valedictorian status/et cetera. But most everyone applying to those schools has similar stats, and like Amy, she didn't have any outstanding extracurricular activity or accomplishment that would have made her stand out from the crowd. And even if she got into one, getting into all three of them almost never happens!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Yes, definitely! Are you an Andy/Harold shipper too then or do you just love them as friends?
Well, I didn't necessarily slash them, mainly because I loved Andy/Nina from the start. But I certainly adored their bickering dynamic and I loved how sometimes you really had to wonder if there was more going on there deep, underneath the surface. I also wished that Treat and Tom would someday play characters that fell in love because they had so much chemistry and all the pieces were there to create an amazing romantic pairing on the screen!

Quote:
Totally. I mean, she probably explained the situation in her essays and retook the classes (did they mention if she did?), but still...She got only 1200/1600 on her SATs and she barely did any extracurricular activities at all...It was just ridiculous.
Totally ridiculous. I am not sure it was mentioned or not. She hit summer school for a reason and something tells me people accepted into Harvard are only going to summer school to skip a grade or something... not to catch up on the past year.

Quote:
And yeah, I agree that Rory getting into Harvard, Yale, and Princeton was unrealistic too. Yale, I could understand, because she did have her grandfather as the alumni connection and she did have great SATs/valedictorian status/et cetera. But most everyone applying to those schools has similar stats, and like Amy, she didn't have any outstanding extracurricular activity or accomplishment that would have made her stand out from the crowd. And even if she got into one, getting into all three of them almost never happens!
^ That's it right there. Yale is beyond understandable but all three is just insane. I think why Harvard bothered me so much is because Paris didn't get into Harvard. That was her dream and it didn't happen. Of course, you can say that might have been a touch of realism but Rory getting in instead kind of bothered me.

I loved Paris so much! LOL.

Paris: “I’m not going to Harvard, I’m not going to Harvard. I had sex, but I’m not going to Harvard.”

Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Well, I didn't necessarily slash them, mainly because I loved Andy/Nina from the start.
Ah, I see! Yeah, for me, it was kind of the opposite. I liked Andy/Nina and knew they would end up together, but I couldn't fully and entirely support the pairing because of my Andy/Harold shipping. Of course, I knew that there was no chance in hell of Andy and Harold actually getting together, but still...I could only support Nina as my second choice for Andy.

Quote:
But I certainly adored their bickering dynamic and I loved how sometimes you really had to wonder if there was more going on there deep, underneath the surface.
We don't have to wonder. We already know there is!

Quote:
I also wished that Treat and Tom would someday play characters that fell in love because they had so much chemistry and all the pieces were there to create an amazing romantic pairing on the screen!
So very true. That would be amazing to see!

Quote:
Totally ridiculous. I am not sure it was mentioned or not. She hit summer school for a reason and something tells me people accepted into Harvard are only going to summer school to skip a grade or something... not to catch up on the past year.
Exactly! Ivy league kids are doing big projects and charity work and national competitions and all that stuff over the summer...not retaking a bunch of failed classes.

Quote:
That's it right there. Yale is beyond understandable but all three is just insane. I think why Harvard bothered me so much is because Paris didn't get into Harvard. That was her dream and it didn't happen. Of course, you can say that might have been a touch of realism but Rory getting in instead kind of bothered me.
Oh, yeah, and Paris totally deserved to get in more than Rory. She had been working her derriere off for so many years in the most challenging private schools and in her extracurriculars...But her fatal flaw of having a harsh personality really doomed her in that interview.

I also don't get how Rory was the valedictorian over Paris. Doesn't make sense since Rory wasn't even at Chilton all four years and didn't do so well in some of her early classes.

Quote:
Paris: “I’m not going to Harvard, I’m not going to Harvard. I had sex, but I’m not going to Harvard.”

I love that quote too! But a bit of a bad message they were sending with it, eh?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

"Pack your chastity belt, Gilmore, you're going to Harvard!"
Old 12-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Completely agree on Amy getting in to Princeton. No way that would happen.

I also think that it was unrealistic how Amy was able to come back onto the ballet squad after missing so much time.

Actually, I'd say that all of her school stuff was pretty unrealistic and overblown. Where did she find time to study and be a good student when she was spending so much time obsessing over Colin, hanging out with friends, planning things, doing ballet, etc? Did she not sleep?

As a result, for season one, I think the writers sometimes did too much to make her seem like a perfect girl next door type.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Not only did I find it ridiculous that Amy could get into Princeton with a 1400 SAT score and horrible grades during her depression...and no activities...but I also found it hard to believe that she would have so much difficulty with her courses at Colorado A&M if she was good enough to go to Princeton. Can you imagine how much trouble Amy would have at Princeton if she had attended? She would definitely flunk out the first year.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM
Master Fan

about Amy and school in general.

Is it controversial that Amy loved both Colin and Ephram in S1? It used to be, but I don't know if it is anymore, heh. If it is, I'll throw it on too!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
"Pack your chastity belt, Gilmore, you're going to Harvard!"
That was soooooo awesome.

Quote:
Ah, I see! Yeah, for me, it was kind of the opposite. I liked Andy/Nina and knew they would end up together, but I couldn't fully and entirely support the pairing because of my Andy/Harold shipping. Of course, I knew that there was no chance in hell of Andy and Harold actually getting together, but still...I could only support Nina as my second choice for Andy.
LMAO! Makes sense! I definitely was much more attentive during Andy/Harold scenes. For me, it was so clear in The Pilot Andy/Nina were ending up together, I had it set up in my head it was happening so anything else was kind of there. My mind is weird in that IF I would have really yearned for Andy/Harold romantically, I would have driven myself crazy when it never happened. I'm so absolute if that makes sense. I like to know the score. So while they easily could have been my first choice, I knew it wasn't happening so I accepted it or else I would have been tortured. LOL. I just sat back and enjoyed their bickering and sometimes grayness though, big time.

Quote:
We don't have to wonder. We already know there is!
Definitely! So much potential!

Quote:
So very true. That would be amazing to see!
Yes! I want them on the same screen together again. It's not fair!

Quote:
Exactly! Ivy league kids are doing big projects and charity work and national competitions and all that stuff over the summer...not retaking a bunch of failed classes.
I know! Seriously!

My one friend who is now a physician at Cleveland Clinic and private practice didn't get into Harvard! She pulled straight As, was on the varsity soccer team with me, was homecoming Queen, in modeling competitions, did charity work, and still didn't get into Harvard. She got into Yale, Princeton and Vanderbilt, got declined by Harvard but was on the waiting list. She ended up going to Vanderbilt.

But with her resume, she only got on the waiting list for Harvard. Amy Abbott was miraculously lucky.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, and Paris totally deserved to get in more than Rory. She had been working her derriere off for so many years in the most challenging private schools and in her extracurriculars...But her fatal flaw of having a harsh personality really doomed her in that interview.
Oh yes, the interview killed it for sure.

Quote:
I also don't get how Rory was the valedictorian over Paris. Doesn't make sense since Rory wasn't even at Chilton all four years and didn't do so well in some of her early classes.
That's a terrific point. That was so weird. How was that even possible?

Quote:
I love that quote too! But a bit of a bad message they were sending with it, eh?
Indeed.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Quote:
That's a terrific point. That was so weird. How was that even possible?
Well, I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I remember some speculation back in the day that since Chilton was an elite school and it was assumed all of the kids would have excellent grades, that the Val and Sal spots were voted on by the students rather than them going to the top grade earners. If that is a possibility, then I could totally see Rory being voted in over Paris.

And now I've gotten sucked in to reading the entire transcript for Those Are Strings, Pinnochio. Is it good or bad that just reading the script makes me laugh as hard as though I were actually watching the show? Heh.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
LMAO! Makes sense! I definitely was much more attentive during Andy/Harold scenes. For me, it was so clear in The Pilot Andy/Nina were ending up together, I had it set up in my head it was happening so anything else was kind of there. My mind is weird in that IF I would have really yearned for Andy/Harold romantically, I would have driven myself crazy when it never happened. I'm so absolute if that makes sense. I like to know the score. So while they easily could have been my first choice, I knew it wasn't happening so I accepted it or else I would have been tortured. LOL. I just sat back and enjoyed their bickering and sometimes grayness though, big time.
Ohhh, I see! So you only ship canon pairings primarily because you really want to make sure you end up satisfied with the conclusion. Makes sense! I ship both canon and non-canon pairings, whichever ones suit my fancy the most, because I don't really care if they end up together or not--in the words of Miley Cyrus, "It ain't about what's waiting on the other side; it's the climb!" I just love watching for the subtle and not-so-subtle hints of my pairing of choice. It's so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74
Well, I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I remember some speculation back in the day that since Chilton was an elite school and it was assumed all of the kids would have excellent grades, that the Val and Sal spots were voted on by the students rather than them going to the top grade earners. If that is a possibility, then I could totally see Rory being voted in over Paris.
Huh...that's strange! I guess that might have been the reason, but I wonder if any schools actually do that...That seems pretty wrong to me. Val and sal titles are too important to just become another popularity contest.
Reply   Post New Thread